You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

They just need more trains to White Hart Lane and Northumberland Park stations. With that, and plenty of trains to Seven Sisters, there'd be more than enough.
They can't really handle "more trains" - the signalling is decades old, they don't have the rolling stock and the platforms aren't long enough to handle longer trains.

Remember, ordinarily these are commuter routes in/out of The City/Liverpool St., so if they're not willing/able to provide a decent service for their core business, what makes you think they'll extend to providing a decent matchday service for Spurs every 10 to 14 days?

And that's just for 36k crowds - how do you think they'll cope with their share of an extra 25k fans each match?

Maybe Spurs fans will move from Enfield, Bedford, Stevenage and Essex?
I don't understand.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm
Doesn't every stadium in London have the same problem to a varying degree -

Wembley
Chelsea
Fulham
West Ham
Etc

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm

They just need more trains to White Hart Lane and Northumberland Park stations. With that, and plenty of trains to Seven Sisters, there'd be more than enough.
They can't really handle "more trains" - the signalling is decades old, they don't have the rolling stock and the platforms aren't long enough to handle longer trains.

Remember, ordinarily these are commuter routes in/out of The City/Liverpool St., so if they're not willing/able to provide a decent service for their core business, what makes you think they'll extend to providing a decent matchday service for Spurs every 10 to 14 days?

And that's just for 36k crowds - how do you think they'll cope with their share of an extra 25k fans each match?

I don't understand.
There's a surprise.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
i can't believe Alihau's comment is still up on the forum.

Edited by Het-field - 11 Jul 2017 at 7:52pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Doesn't every stadium in London have the same problem to a varying degree -

Wembley
Chelsea
Fulham
West Ham
Etc
Wembley - they spent £43m on Wembley Park Station alone for when the new Wembley was built - one of half a dozen stations serving the stadium, with the new stadium being 10k capacity lower than the old one in any case.

Chelsea, better provided for for public transport, but still enough problems as it is. Will be chaotic when they re-build to 60k (unless Roman stumps up, which I doubt).

Fulham + crowd congestion? Do me a favour!

WHU - Gazillions spent on public transport for the Olympics, so no problem there.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:04pm

I don't understand.

There's a surprise.
It was a simple question, but I'll ask again, what point were you trying to make?

Edited by Territorial - 11 Jul 2017 at 8:04pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm

I don't understand.

There's a surprise.
It was a simple question, but I'll ask again, what point were you trying to make?
It wasn't a question, it was a statement made in response to a rhetorical question. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:57pm

I don't understand.

There's a surprise.

It wasn't a question, it was a statement made in response to a rhetorical question. 
Bloody hell, this is hard work, but I shall try for a third time.

When you stated: "Maybe Spurs fans will move from Enfield, Bedford, Stevenage and Essex?", what point where you trying to make in the context of access difficulties to WHL?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:09pm

I don't understand.

There's a surprise.

Bloody hell, this is hard work, but I shall try for a third time.

When you stated: "Maybe Spurs fans will move from Enfield, Bedford, Stevenage and Essex?", what point where you trying to make in the context of access difficulties to WHL?
It is hard work because you have made it hard work! Firstly, by perceiving ignorance, I assumed a Spurs fan would know well what was meant and still do; and secondly by showing ignorance by confusing a statement for a question. To put in terms you can't pretend to misunderstand:
If you have ever got a train from any of the aforementioned places on a Spurs matchday you would see that a lot of the Spurs faithful come from them. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that suggested if they followed more local teams then they wouldn't have to adapt the railway network at all
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 10:01pm

.If you have ever got a train from any of the aforementioned places on a Spurs matchday you would see that a lot of the Spurs faithful come from them. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that suggested if they followed more local teams then they wouldn't have to adapt the railway network at all
Right.

What you're saying is that if Spurs fans ceased to be Spurs fans, then public transport to Spurs would be able to cope.

That's a really helpful and insightful contribution to the debate.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 10:09pm

.If you have ever got a train from any of the aforementioned places on a Spurs matchday you would see that a lot of the Spurs faithful come from them. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that suggested if they followed more local teams then they wouldn't have to adapt the railway network at all
Right.

What you're saying is that if Spurs fans ceased to be Spurs fans, then public transport to Spurs would be able to cope.

That's a really helpful and insightful contribution to the debate.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment about supporting your local team, not that you would ever do anything as crass as that...................................

alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

your nose out of joint over it?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 1:58pm
This is way more of a reflection on you.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm

Hot off the press...

http://www.cityam.com/268239/tfl-awards-taylor-woodrow-178m-contract-rebuild-white-hart

New rolling stock (walk-through carriages) and redeveloped station designed to handle the extra capacity especially during matchdays. Don't see too many issues. 

"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

your nose out of joint over it?

Your comment was crass and unacceptable, Ali. Repeating the joke makes it worse.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Hot off the press...

http://www.cityam.com/268239/tfl-awards-taylor-woodrow-178m-contract-rebuild-white-hart

New rolling stock (walk-through carriages) and redeveloped station designed to handle the extra capacity especially during matchdays. Don't see too many issues. 
Sure, a bigger, brighter station will help. And modern trains to replace the existing ones are long overdue.

But that will only get us up to where we should long have been with a 36k stadium.

Were the new trains to be significantly bigger and more frequent, we can assume they would have said so, therefore I'm guessing they won't be.

So it looks like they're still playing catch-up with the new, increased demand deriving from 61k - and falling short. Unhappy

But I am willing and happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by Territorial - 12 Jul 2017 at 2:47pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:37am
Walker gone for £50M but we already have an adequate replacement.

transfer fees seem to have risen to a new obscene level.... we might be better pumping that money into the current squad (longer contracts plus higher bonuses) and youth system.

Still think we need one big signing to freshen up the squad. You can't stay still in the EPL.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:42pm

Walker gone for £50M but we already have an adequate replacement.
Trippier is certainly an adequate replacement for KW, but we still need to buy a replacement for Trippier.

Now that KW's on his way, maybe they'll turn back to this guy?
http://www.squawka.com/news/chelsea-join-spurs-in-race-to-sign-bournemouth-right-back-adam-smith/946725

Still think we need one big signing to freshen up the squad. You can't stay still in the EPL.
We need signings, but I'm not sure where you'd fit in a "big" signing.

Kane is a fixture up front, so no big name is going to come in and play second fiddle there. We've coming down with midfielders, with Dele Alli/Erikksen/Wanyame/Dier undroppable when fit and Dembele/Winks/Son all decent back-up. Ditto the back five, where Lloris/Rose/Jan/Toby/Trippier pick themselves.

Need to replace Janssen as back-up to Kane (Joshua King?); need someone to replace Sissoko (Damarai Gray?) and someone to replace Wimmer as back-up to Toby and Jan V.

I also have a sneaky suspicion Lamela's time at WHL is over, whether through injury or fall-out with Poch, so they might decide to replace him too.

Beyond that, I'm not too sure much else is needed. Apparently Poch prefers a smallish squad and besides, he's constantly talking up the youngsters coming through, so if we got the above 3 or 4 squad players, he might think he's got enough cover for all eventualities?

Edited by Territorial - 14 Jul 2017 at 2:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 238>
  Share Topic