Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 238>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

And some people said at the start of the reason that he won't be world class in the EPL thread? Shocked

Is he though? A world squad to play Mars, is Kane in it? I am not so sure, as much as I enjoy watching him play.
If you consider "World Class" to mean sure to start in the world's "Best XI", then no.

But that's a bit limiting, since the inclusion eg of Ronaldo to lead the attack, would likely mean no place eg for Suarez. And you can't say Suarez isn't "world class". Similarly, you would pick Messi over Hazard, or maybe Buffon over Oblak or Neuer.

The measure I would use is that if you were picking a World XI, would a given player look out of place in that company?

And HK must be getting very close to that level now.
I quite clearly quantified what I consider world class to be! 
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:06pm

And some people said at the start of the reason that he won't be world class in the EPL thread? Shocked

Is he though? A world squad to play Mars, is Kane in it? I am not so sure, as much as I enjoy watching him play.
If you consider "World Class" to mean sure to start in the world's "Best XI", then no.

But that's a bit limiting, since the inclusion eg of Ronaldo to lead the attack, would likely mean no place eg for Suarez. And you can't say Suarez isn't "world class". Similarly, you would pick Messi over Hazard, or maybe Buffon over Oblak or Neuer.

The measure I would use is that if you were picking a World XI, would a given player look out of place in that company?

And HK must be getting very close to that level now.

Edited by Territorial - 19 May 2017 at 1:07pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Kane will go on to break the English scoring record if he stays injury free. With the level of competition and the number of games now he will break that record IMO.
The English Premier League record possibly, but football didn't start in 1992. Wink

And although I may be Kane's biggest fan, I can tell you he will NOT take the all-time English scoring record (top flight) from this genius:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greaves

Following on from my earlier post, by the time JG was HK's present age, he had already reached the 200 mark for League goals in the English top flight (plus 9 goals in 12 games for AC Milan during a brief spell in Serie A). 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It's also assuming he doesn't have a career slump (/cliffdive) like Wayne Rooney. Now Kane doesn't look like a lover of pies, pints, cigs and late nights but you never know.
According to his Wiki page, HK is already settled with his childhood sweetheart and their kid, and "does not drink alcohol or go to nightclubs, preferring to use his free time to play golf.".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Kane 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:36pm

Too early to be talking about Shearers record. He scored over 30 goals for 3 seasons in a row!!
Clearly no guarantee he'll go on to overtake Shearer, since fitness and longevity etc can't be taken for granted.

But it is curious that at 23 years and 10 months, HK has now scored 75 goals in 115 top flight games (incs sub appearances) = 0.65 goals per game.

At exactly the same age, Shearer had scored 70 goals in 179 top flight games (inc. subs) = 0.39 goals per game.

Of course Shearer really hit his stride in his mid 20's, so he ended up with 283 goals in 559 League games = 0.51 goals per game.

But HK is still "ahead of schedule", esp if you add in his cup, international, European and loan goals record, which is also better than Shearer's at the same age.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:25pm
Just looking at the stats there. Spurs had a very good season in the league and without the consistantly good Chelsea would have won it. The early season draws  were the damage in a tight race. With a game to go they have 2 points more than Leicester had when they won it last season. The only team to remain unbeaten at home, best GD, least goals conceded and likely top scorer. Beat Hull at the weekend and they finish the season with 86 points. They will need to win a trophy next season though to keep things together.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

It's crazy to think how many goals a season he'd get if he wasn't so slow starting a season - He's yet to reach 5 goals by the time he hits November but hits 20+ from November to May 3 seasons in a row, and he's only 23 ffs. 

Shearer's EPL record is well and truly on course to be f**ked.

Certainly has the potential to be world class but he isn't at that level yet.
I would agree with that. 
As much as Rooney under performed in his career he did reach that level.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Yeah far too early to talk about Shearer. Kane still has to score about 200 more goals to beat him, ffs. He needs another 8 seasons like this one, and that's even assuming he stays. It's also assuming he doesn't have a career slump (/cliffdive) like Wayne Rooney. Now Kane doesn't look like a lover of pies, pints, cigs and late nights but you never know.

Kane > Rooney
Rooney has only ever scored 20+ goals twice for MAN U.

Kane will go on to break the English scoring record if he stays injury free. With the level of competition and the number of games now he will break that record IMO.

Rooney was far more than just a goalscorer, Kane will be doing well to reach Rooney's level.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:23pm

It's crazy to think how many goals a season he'd get if he wasn't so slow starting a season - He's yet to reach 5 goals by the time he hits November but hits 20+ from November to May 3 seasons in a row, and he's only 23 ffs. 

Certainly has the potential to be world class but he isn't at that level yet.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:21pm

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:16pm

Yeah far too early to talk about Shearer. Kane still has to score about 200 more goals to beat him, ffs. He needs another 8 seasons like this one, and that's even assuming he stays. It's also assuming he doesn't have a career slump (/cliffdive) like Wayne Rooney. Now Kane doesn't look like a lover of pies, pints, cigs and late nights but you never know.

Kane > Rooney

Rooney was far more than just a goalscorer, Kane will be doing well to reach Rooney's level.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:18am

Kane > Rooney

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:57am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:01am
Too early to be talking about Shearers record. He scored over 30 goals for 3 seasons in a row!!

But if he continues this form the top clubs - RM, Bayern, Barcelona etc will certainly be interested.
If Levy has to sell I'm sure he wont sell to an EPL rival.

alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:47am

ah I genuinely can't see kane ever leaving spurs. after they have moved into the new stadium, levy will increase the wage ceiling and back kane with another long-term contract. I'd be more inclined to say that alii will move on at some stage, RM being the most likely buyer

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:41am
Needs to perform well in the champions league next season before talking about moves to Real Madrid and the likes.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:29am

Can see Real Madrid coming in for him next year or so. And a much as Spurs say they won't sell a 70-100m bid will be too irresistible for Levy
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:04am

Edited by coyne - 19 May 2017 at 7:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 119120121122123 238>
  Share Topic