You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doping in sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

First thing I said when I heard this on the radio earlier: "That lad's from Portlaoise. I bet anything it's probably weed or coke he's after testing positive for!" LOL

I know he's a dope for being at that (if true obviously, we don't know the details yet) but it's hardly performance enhancing is it? I'd consider him more of an eejit than a cheat.

Well actually it can be, you have a big event, you take something to take take the pressure off, let you relax a bit more, take away the nerves. Thats giving you an advantage

Downhill mountain bikers are tested for weed for these reasons
There is a man who has never done a lineLOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 6:57pm
O'Reilly has admitted he unintentionally took a supplement which may have contained a prohibited substance. f**king eejit
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:17pm
Clearly didn't give a f**k, really hope he's sued for the funding he received. Make an example of him

Edited by Shoco - 10 Aug 2016 at 8:30am

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
Trouble from Day one this lad going back to 2011 he claims he was given the "supplement by someone unrelated to his team or association". typical trying to blame someone else a real fcukin idiot, and dont forget Conor Wallace from Newry in this sorry saga a real nightmare for him!
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:55pm
Looking at a 2yr ban. Good enough for him
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:14am
Anyone read Paul Kimmage's recent article? Throwing a whole lot more than suspicion on Rob Heffernan and to a lesser degree Olive Loughnane...

Link:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:20am
Ya, did read that, and don't remember any Irish journo printing anything about it around London 2012. We have an odd attitude to doping here, no doubt about it, we seem to believe in the innocence of our own & only accept we have guilty athletes after they have been caught, while ignoring all suspicions up to that point. 

Have no idea if Heffernan is clean or not, lets presume he is for the sake of it, but again, if it were a Russian race walker training with a known doper, we would presume different. 

Another doping story, and for a one word comment, given who it came from, quite funny. Fabian Cancellara won the Olympic cycling time trial, his last race before he retires. Strongly rumoured to be part of the operation Puerto case, but never caught (so far anyway, there's always time). 

His team, TrekSegafredo, sent him a congratulations on twitter, to which one Lance Armstrong replied '' Luigi !!! '' 

Luigi was Cancellara's alleged codename from the Fuentes list, and I think Lance would have some authority on this subject, to say the least..........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:51am
Heffernan trains at home under the supervision of his wife and at times with the other Irish walkers.

What he has done though is used Fernandez during training camps, not sure if he still does.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:55am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Heffernan trains at home under the supervision of his wife and at times with the other Irish walkers.

What he has done though is used Fernandez during training camps, not sure if he still does.

They must have a big garden.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Anyone read Paul Kimmage's recent article? Throwing a whole lot more than suspicion on Rob Heffernan and to a lesser degree Olive Loughnane...

Link:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html

For a man that "doesn't care about the olympics" he still seems to be tweeting a fair bit about it, bitter coont

Darrener View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:45am
Another Kenyan coach sent home. This time for conducting a urine test for Ferguson Rotich, who goes this afternoon in the heats for the 800m, using his accreditation.

Story doesnt go much further from what I can see so unsure whether Rotich was tested in the end himself. He must be rightly pissed off with the coach getting him caught up in a doping scandal just before he is starting his campaign. No doubt he had no inclination this was happening..
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
Apparently the coach wasn't even part of the staff and shouldn't have been there at all

eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:36pm
Just watched the delayed coverage of the women's 10k. Yer wan beats the world record by close to 20 seconds in an event she only took up in June and didn't look like she broke a sweat. I have to admit I said I'm not having it and then back in the studio Sonia said the same thing. Terrible that sport (or more precisely the olympics) has been tarnished so much that you just can't believe in athletes anymore when they achieve greatly.

As Sonia said I'd be far quicker to believe in the merit of two lads from Cork winning a silver than I would that gold medal. Or words to that effect. Fair play Sonia, say it like it is.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Just watched the delayed coverage of the women's 10k. Yer wan beats the world record by close to 20 seconds in an event she only took up in June and didn't look like she broke a sweat. I have to admit I said I'm not having it and then back in the studio Sonia said the same thing. Terrible that sport (or more precisely the olympics) has been tarnished so much that you just can't believe in athletes anymore when they achieve greatly.

As Sonia said I'd be far quicker to believe in the merit of two lads from Cork winning a silver than I would that gold medal. Or words to that effect. Fair play Sonia, say it like it is.

The record she smashed was one of those set by the drugged up Chinese athletes in the late 90's. Says it all.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
She didn't exactly look pleased she won either. Probably thought that was too fast to go unnoticed
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
But can we not sweep the 2 Cork lads in the general category of dopers like most other\ if not all all the other athletes competing in the Olympics.

Seems like the thing to do, you know sweeping generalisations.

After all, we are hardly a known nation of medal contenders in the rowing.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:57pm
Small difference between someone absolutely obliterating a world record - a record set by an athlete on drugs - not even looking like they were hassled doing it - in an event they ran for the first time two months ago - having stepped up from half that distance - on the one hand and two people crawling from their boat struggling to stand after just edging second in a very tight race on the other.

Edited by eire77 - 12 Aug 2016 at 8:58pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 5:41am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

But can we not sweep the 2 Cork lads in the general category of dopers like most other\ if not all all the other athletes competing in the Olympics.

Seems like the thing to do, you know sweeping generalisations.

After all, we are hardly a known nation of medal contenders in the rowing.

Rowing doping cases (globally) are for some, or various reasons, absolutely tiny. Either the sport isn't tested as much as other sports (and I have no idea whether it is or isn't, hiya there Tennis) , or for some or various reasons, it seems to be a cleaner sport than many others. 

The Cork boys didn't shatter any world records, and unlike some of their competitors, they couldn't even stand up immediately after the race, such was their great effort, the results of their physical exertions were there to see live on TV for all of us. 

To be honest, if it proved to be the case that only 6 athletes out of the entire Olympic Village weren't on drugs, I would reckon these 2 would account for a third of them. There isn't a single shred of evidence to say otherwise, no world record times, gradual improvement over a few years, talent flagged in advance (by the Independent 2 weeks ago, among others) , no record of training with known dopers, always been competitive to some degree in their careers so far, at a young enough age (for rowers) to be on an improvement curve. 

If you want to go with Kimmage's blunt analysis of suspected Olympic dopers, ie '' If you lie with dogs, you might catch fleas'', there simply aren't any fleas to be seen, unless someone can tell me different.

And other than boxing, and other than Carruth in 1992, that too relatively recent (and the laughably discredited swimming medals of Michelle Smith De Bruin) , we don't really win medals at anything much, we may not be noted for rowing olympic medals, but we have had several world championships/champions & european championships/champions in the sport, as well as a few close (4th place) finishes in previous olympics, it isn't as if the 2 lads are from a landlocked country with no water or lakes that only took up the sport 3 weeks ago either, you would only have to be aware of the career of RTE rowing analyst Neville Maxwell to know that. 

There are, like the womens 10,000 metres victor this evening, more than single red flags when it comes to suspected dopers, and the Cork lads don't even raise as much as a yellow one. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic