Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44900
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Doping in sport
Posted By: Shoco
Subject: Doping in sport
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 11:24pm
Don't know if anyone has seen the stats from USADA about the amount of doping tests they did last year but some of it is shocking, especially the fact that they only carried out 29 tests on tennis players for the entire year and none of them in competition! For a country that hosts a grand slam and many tour events with massive prize money it's a disgrace

This along with the dr. Fuentes case in Spain really make you wonder about them (Fuentes was gagged by the Spanish government from naming any of his clients other than cyclists)

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/usadas-pursuit-of-lance-armstrong-was-vigorous-but-heres-their-testing-figures-across-all-sports/" rel="nofollow - here are the stats

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Replies:
Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:01am
I think they only brought testing in tennis a few years ago. I would imagine Tennis would be a sport where doping would be very beneficial. 

America doesn't really care too much about doping, it is just an inconvenience to them. Spain are happy to see their footballers, tennis players, cyclists etc succeed no matter how they are doing it. 

Football in general has the same attitude. It is pretty much factual that the likes of Maradona and Zidane were doping, yet they are still heralded as great players.  

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: Peake
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:45am
Everybody should watch the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster on Youtube. Fantastic documentary that really gives you an amazing insight into doping in sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmX8Q0vqKI" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmX8Q0vqKI

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 9:30am
Lizzie Armistead cleared despite missing 3 drug tests because her phone was "on silent". British Cycling funded her case appeal against UKAD. Presumably because British athletes as everyone knows never take drugs..

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
Well that's not the fully story at all.

She missed 3 tests, and missing a test can happen for a number of reasons as they just turn up at a particular time that you believe you will be home.

And in her case there was an admin error and a serious illness in her family so you must give her the benefit of the doubt.

How many clean tests did she provide in that period?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
I do have some sympathy for her in the fact that she was where she said she would be. Was her phone on silent at 6 in the morning? If i was an elite level athlete at an even then yeah i probably would have mine on silent.

Should the testers be calling at 6 in the morning when they probably know the hotel will not give the room details out? maybe, maybe not, as she was there with the GB team could they have contacted a team staff member?

I'm more interested to as to why this was not reported before now, and as to why the procedures to report this to the UCI appear to not have been followed.

-------------

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:05pm
They should let them all it, then it's a level playing field. I want to see some lad doped up to the eyeballs run the 100m in 7 seconds.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

They should let them all it, then it's a level playing field. I want to see some lad doped up to the eyeballs run the 100m in 7 seconds.
+1 They are all at it anyway, if they are not they are unlikely to be competitive. Medals to be given to doctors too, be about time they are recognised.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I do have some sympathy for her in the fact that she was where she said she would be. Was her phone on silent at 6 in the morning? If i was an elite level athlete at an even then yeah i probably would have mine on silent.

Should the testers be calling at 6 in the morning when they probably know the hotel will not give the room details out? maybe, maybe not, as she was there with the GB team could they have contacted a team staff member?

I'm more interested to as to why this was not reported before now, and as to why the procedures to report this to the UCI appear to not have been followed.

It's up to each individual to provide a location and time slot whereby they will be available during a random call out.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:42pm

Possibly in the Fans game in Moldova?

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's up to each individual to provide a location and time slot whereby they will be available during a random call out.

Well if she gave a time slot that included a 6am time slot then she should have had the volume turned up on her phone then.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 1:00pm
Yes. Correct.

This is what I read about her missed tests - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36948193" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36948193

The first came at a World Cup event in Sweden on 20 August, 2015.
    The second was an administrative failure on 5 October
    And the third was a missed test on 9 June this year following "an emergency change of plans due to a serious illness within her family".

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm
Supposedly you must give a 1 hour slot each day that you will be available to be tested,

I assume the 6am time was given as you kinda know where you will be in advance, bed!!

it should be noted that she did pass an in competition test the next day

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:20pm
Exactly.

The athlete in question should be given an opportunity to explain her missed tests and whether they were genuine reasons or not.

In this case I agree with the decision that she should be allowed to continue to compete.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:27pm
I would agree it was a genuine mixup.

But there should be a full explanation, reason why it was covered up and a breakdown of costs for the appeal and why it was British cycling that paid for this.

Also, if she was on two missed tests already how did she miss a third (i understand it was a family emergency)but surely this would be a genuine reason for missing a test and not be counted?

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Possibly in the Fans game in Moldova?
I would say you would seen that many times Hornet , like every time you walk into a pub as most of us are out the side door like a shot .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 3:03pm
So it now appears that she didn't appeal the first missed test when she was first notified of it last summer, have to say that's a bit odd!

And as has been suggested on twitter by many people, what would peoples opinion be if she was a Russian athlete

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 3:56pm
Does anyone give a sh*t about the Olympics anymore? Stopped watching it a long long time ago. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 4:03pm
Nope, it's a farce

I think many people would agree that the show piece of the Olympics is the mens 100m sprint, but when Justin Gatlin is one of the favourites running times better than he was when twice suspended for doping, well it just make a mockery of the whole event, especially with the Russians been banned.

In saying that i will watch the mens road race at the weekend, but i couldn't care for the rest

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Does anyone give a sh*t about the Olympics anymore? Stopped watching it a long long time ago. 
A lot of pharmacists do.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 10:27pm

Supposedly you must give a 1 hour slot each day that you will be available to be tested,

I assume the 6am time was given as you kinda know where you will be in advance, bed!!

it should be noted that she did pass an in competition test the next day

All that would suggest to me is microdosing. 

It should also be noted that she didn't appeal the first missed whereabouts test at the time, seemingly all an athlete has to do there is appeal & give an excuse, it is then either accepted or it isn't. If you are a clean athlete, I would imagine these aren't the type of things you would want hanging over ya, and you would think, clean or not, the last thing you would want to be doing is miss another 2 after the first one. 

And this first (uncontested at the time) test was only beaten by a legal technicality ? 

Aye, right, clean as a whistle, away ya go. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:12am
Do the women have fake piss flaps? Like the men have fake flutes when cheating on the drugs testing?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Do the women have fake piss flaps? Like the men have fake flutes when cheating on the drugs testing?
They just produce a sample from a whiskey bottle 

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:00am
Lizzie didn't challenge her missed tests until her place in Rio became under threat......

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:43am
On the other side of the coin here, has anyone that has actively missed tests challenged the missed tests or do they take it on the chin and move on?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 10:58am
People were a lot less sympathetic towards Rio Ferdinand when he missed 1 drugs test and got banned for 8 months. He also passed a test the day after.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 10:59am
He was hung out to dry on that for sure.

Is there anything more to his ban that the public are not aware of? Seems awfully harsh.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:01am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

People were a lot less sympathetic towards Rio Ferdinand when he missed 1 drugs test and got banned for 8 months. He also passed a test the day after.

That certainly wasn't an IQ test

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

That certainly wasn't an IQ test

LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:15am
LOLLOL

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Gigibongi33
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 1:20pm
She's tweeted her reasons for the missed tests

https://twitter.com/L_ArmiTstead/status/760776866437496832" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/L_ArmiTstead/status/760776866437496832

Posted By: Darrener
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Gigibongi33 Gigibongi33 wrote:

She's tweeted her reasons for the missed tests

https://twitter.com/L_ArmiTstead/status/760776866437496832" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/L_ArmiTstead/status/760776866437496832

She can say what she likes but its just going to cloud over her Olympics and she may as well just pull out now. Tough luck if she is innocent but a series of unfortunate incidents she should just take on the chin.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 5:05pm
Looks like one of our olympic boxers  has tested positive just before they left for Rio

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm

Looks like one of our olympic boxers  has tested positive just before they left for Rio
According to a report in the  http://www.irishexaminer.com/rioolympics/rioolympics-analysis/irish-boxer-fails-drug-test-on-eve-of-rio-olympics-reports-414161.html" rel="nofollow - Irish Examiner , an unnamed Irish male boxer has allegedly tested positive for a banned substance.

It is understood that the test was done in Ireland before the Olympic team left for Rio in recent days, with the result only emerging today.

There hasn’t yet been any confirmation of the alleged positive sample from Sport Ireland or the Olympic Council of Ireland.

There are seven Irish men boxing at the Games.

A spokesman for Sport Ireland told the Irish Examiner it is precluded from making any comment on any anti-doping matters because of the quasi-judicial nature of how the system is managed. It has never commented on any matters of this nature and would not be doing so in this instance, the spokesman said.

The world amateur Boxing Federation, the AIBA, has said it cannot confirm that an Irish boxer has failed a drugs test, despite reports. They say it's currently a matter for the Irish authority.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:00pm
Named as Michael o Reilly from Portlaoise, will be interesting to see what effect it has on the boxing team now

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:31pm
Is he a them-un or one of our lot?

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm
Supposed to be recreational drug that the sample got.What a f**king idiot if true.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:40pm
Absolute f**king clown.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:43pm
While stupid if true, he shouldn't be banned for something that did his training more harm than good.
I also offer up twenty quid towards Landy asking that question to his face.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:00pm
Seem's he can have a B sample taken over in Rio and see what that throws up if he want's to challenge the A sample.
@ PM that spineless little **** would not be able to tear himself away from coming all over his keyboard to pose that question to the lad

-------------

Posted By: Gigibongi33
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:53pm
He tweeted there earlier saying he is fighting on the 12th
https://twitter.com/michaeloreillyb/status/761265792067461121" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/michaeloreillyb/status/761265792067461121

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 9:46pm
B sample. 

Wonder how that will go ? 

Seems like the lad was an idiot if tis a recreational drug he is being done for, the IABA released a very strongly anti drugs statement this evening, between that & the fact the competition even within Irish boxing (never mind the Olympic qualifiers after the National championships) to go to the Olympics is so strong, he may have already blown his only chance, which would be a pity. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:02pm
What a f**king prick, the IOC should take him to court and sue him for every cent they put into him.

It's a bigger kick in the teeth to the IOC that this was a recreational drug rather than a PED, show he couldn't give a f**k

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:11pm
Lizzie Armitstead interviewed on sky there.  Her excuses seemed dodgy I thought.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Lizzie Armitstead interviewed on sky there.  Her excuses seemed dodgy I thought.

British Media lapping it up as as well. She didn't appeal the 1st missed test until it looked like she'd miss Rio FFS

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Supposed to be recreational drug that the sample got.What a f**king idiot if true.
Any link to this allegation ?

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Seem's he can have a B sample taken over in Rio and see what that throws up if he want's to challenge the A sample.
@ PM that spineless little **** would not be able to tear himself away from coming all over his keyboard to pose that question to the lad

The B sample is taken the same time as the A sample, it's just kept sealed until the test is requested. It's a control for the A sample to cover for possible lab condition errors etc. Far as I'm aware anyway.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:09pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/04/rio-olympics-2016-irish-boxer-michael-oreilly-failed-doping-test/" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/04/rio-olympics-2016-irish-boxer-michael-oreilly-failed-doping-test/

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:12pm
UK Times saying Brazil 'stopped doping tests' for a few months before the Olympics. Wonder why ?

Other news , CAS says banning previously doped athletes isn't enforceable. 

It actually is, but that isn't the point I suppose, the point is that it would make the whole house of cards fall down, which would make sponsors very uncomfortable, if they started withdrawing, this would lead to IOC lads having to cut back on hotels & big dinners & flying business class, and maybe Nike wouldn't sell as many shoes and so on & so on. 

The oul Russians have nearly been forgotten about already & the thing hasn't even started yet. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The B sample is taken the same time as the A sample, it's just kept sealed until the test is requested. It's a control for the A sample to cover for possible lab condition errors etc. Far as I'm aware anyway.
Was not aware of this so he is most likely fcked so

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/04/rio-olympics-2016-irish-boxer-michael-oreilly-failed-doping-test/" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/04/rio-olympics-2016-irish-boxer-michael-oreilly-failed-doping-test/
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Conor Messi
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 11:28pm
First thing I said when I heard this on the radio earlier: "That lad's from Portlaoise. I bet anything it's probably weed or coke he's after testing positive for!" LOL

I know he's a dope for being at that (if true obviously, we don't know the details yet) but it's hardly performance enhancing is it? I'd consider him more of an eejit than a cheat.

-------------
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

First thing I said when I heard this on the radio earlier: "That lad's from Portlaoise. I bet anything it's probably weed or coke he's after testing positive for!" LOL

I know he's a dope for being at that (if true obviously, we don't know the details yet) but it's hardly performance enhancing is it? I'd consider him more of an eejit than a cheat.

Well actually it can be, you have a big event, you take something to take take the pressure off, let you relax a bit more, take away the nerves. Thats giving you an advantage

Downhill mountain bikers are tested for weed for these reasons

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:01am
Front page of the papers Confused 

Seriously - drugs in sport is so rampant - is it really worth this much coverage 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 10:30pm

Originally posted by Conor Messi Conor Messi wrote:

Well actually it can be, you have a big event, you take something to take take the pressure off, let you relax a bit more, take away the nerves. Thats giving you an advantage

Downhill mountain bikers are tested for weed for these reasons
There is a man who has never done a lineLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 6:57pm
O'Reilly has admitted he unintentionally took a supplement which may have contained a prohibited substance. f**king eejit

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:17pm
Clearly didn't give a f**k, really hope he's sued for the funding he received. Make an example of him

-------------

Posted By: Neil Armstrong
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
Trouble from Day one this lad going back to 2011 he claims he was given the "supplement by someone unrelated to his team or association". typical trying to blame someone else a real fcukin idiot, and dont forget Conor Wallace from Newry in this sorry saga a real nightmare for him!

-------------
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:55pm
Looking at a 2yr ban. Good enough for him

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:14am
Anyone read Paul Kimmage's recent article? Throwing a whole lot more than suspicion on Rob Heffernan and to a lesser degree Olive Loughnane...

Link:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:20am
Ya, did read that, and don't remember any Irish journo printing anything about it around London 2012. We have an odd attitude to doping here, no doubt about it, we seem to believe in the innocence of our own & only accept we have guilty athletes after they have been caught, while ignoring all suspicions up to that point. 

Have no idea if Heffernan is clean or not, lets presume he is for the sake of it, but again, if it were a Russian race walker training with a known doper, we would presume different. 

Another doping story, and for a one word comment, given who it came from, quite funny. Fabian Cancellara won the Olympic cycling time trial, his last race before he retires. Strongly rumoured to be part of the operation Puerto case, but never caught (so far anyway, there's always time). 

His team, TrekSegafredo, sent him a congratulations on twitter, to which one Lance Armstrong replied '' Luigi !!! '' 

Luigi was Cancellara's alleged codename from the Fuentes list, and I think Lance would have some authority on this subject, to say the least..........

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:51am
Heffernan trains at home under the supervision of his wife and at times with the other Irish walkers.

What he has done though is used Fernandez during training camps, not sure if he still does.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:55am

Heffernan trains at home under the supervision of his wife and at times with the other Irish walkers.

What he has done though is used Fernandez during training camps, not sure if he still does.

They must have a big garden.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Anyone read Paul Kimmage's recent article? Throwing a whole lot more than suspicion on Rob Heffernan and to a lesser degree Olive Loughnane...

Link:
http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html" rel="nofollow - http://m.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/paul-kimmage-you-cant-be-angry-if-you-dont-care-34944568.html

For a man that "doesn't care about the olympics" he still seems to be tweeting a fair bit about it, bitter coont

-------------

Posted By: Darrener
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:45am
Another Kenyan coach sent home. This time for conducting a urine test for Ferguson Rotich, who goes this afternoon in the heats for the 800m, using his accreditation.

Story doesnt go much further from what I can see so unsure whether Rotich was tested in the end himself. He must be rightly pissed off with the coach getting him caught up in a doping scandal just before he is starting his campaign. No doubt he had no inclination this was happening..

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
Apparently the coach wasn't even part of the staff and shouldn't have been there at all

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:36pm
Just watched the delayed coverage of the women's 10k. Yer wan beats the world record by close to 20 seconds in an event she only took up in June and didn't look like she broke a sweat. I have to admit I said I'm not having it and then back in the studio Sonia said the same thing. Terrible that sport (or more precisely the olympics) has been tarnished so much that you just can't believe in athletes anymore when they achieve greatly.

As Sonia said I'd be far quicker to believe in the merit of two lads from Cork winning a silver than I would that gold medal. Or words to that effect. Fair play Sonia, say it like it is.

-------------

Posted By: Borussia
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Just watched the delayed coverage of the women's 10k. Yer wan beats the world record by close to 20 seconds in an event she only took up in June and didn't look like she broke a sweat. I have to admit I said I'm not having it and then back in the studio Sonia said the same thing. Terrible that sport (or more precisely the olympics) has been tarnished so much that you just can't believe in athletes anymore when they achieve greatly.

As Sonia said I'd be far quicker to believe in the merit of two lads from Cork winning a silver than I would that gold medal. Or words to that effect. Fair play Sonia, say it like it is.

The record she smashed was one of those set by the drugged up Chinese athletes in the late 90's. Says it all.

Posted By: Bo Jackson
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
She didn't exactly look pleased she won either. Probably thought that was too fast to go unnoticed

-------------
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:29pm
But can we not sweep the 2 Cork lads in the general category of dopers like most other\ if not all all the other athletes competing in the Olympics.

Seems like the thing to do, you know sweeping generalisations.

After all, we are hardly a known nation of medal contenders in the rowing.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:57pm
Small difference between someone absolutely obliterating a world record - a record set by an athlete on drugs - not even looking like they were hassled doing it - in an event they ran for the first time two months ago - having stepped up from half that distance - on the one hand and two people crawling from their boat struggling to stand after just edging second in a very tight race on the other.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 5:41am

But can we not sweep the 2 Cork lads in the general category of dopers like most other\ if not all all the other athletes competing in the Olympics.

Seems like the thing to do, you know sweeping generalisations.

After all, we are hardly a known nation of medal contenders in the rowing.

Rowing doping cases (globally) are for some, or various reasons, absolutely tiny. Either the sport isn't tested as much as other sports (and I have no idea whether it is or isn't, hiya there Tennis) , or for some or various reasons, it seems to be a cleaner sport than many others. 

The Cork boys didn't shatter any world records, and unlike some of their competitors, they couldn't even stand up immediately after the race, such was their great effort, the results of their physical exertions were there to see live on TV for all of us. 

To be honest, if it proved to be the case that only 6 athletes out of the entire Olympic Village weren't on drugs, I would reckon these 2 would account for a third of them. There isn't a single shred of evidence to say otherwise, no world record times, gradual improvement over a few years, talent flagged in advance (by the Independent 2 weeks ago, among others) , no record of training with known dopers, always been competitive to some degree in their careers so far, at a young enough age (for rowers) to be on an improvement curve. 

If you want to go with Kimmage's blunt analysis of suspected Olympic dopers, ie '' If you lie with dogs, you might catch fleas'', there simply aren't any fleas to be seen, unless someone can tell me different.

And other than boxing, and other than Carruth in 1992, that too relatively recent (and the laughably discredited swimming medals of Michelle Smith De Bruin) , we don't really win medals at anything much, we may not be noted for rowing olympic medals, but we have had several world championships/champions & european championships/champions in the sport, as well as a few close (4th place) finishes in previous olympics, it isn't as if the 2 lads are from a landlocked country with no water or lakes that only took up the sport 3 weeks ago either, you would only have to be aware of the career of RTE rowing analyst Neville Maxwell to know that. 

There are, like the womens 10,000 metres victor this evening, more than single red flags when it comes to suspected dopers, and the Cork lads don't even raise as much as a yellow one. 

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:47pm
Some improvement for the female Irish rower at the world championships this week. Gone from being barely competitive to being a second faster than the current world champion and pissing through the heats.

Alarm bells ringing. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:58pm
Sanita Puspure?

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Some improvement for the female Irish rower at the world championships this week. Gone from being barely competitive to being a second faster than the current world champion and pissing through the heats.

Alarm bells ringing. 

She just missed out on a medal last year 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:03pm
She also won silver and bronze at the Euro's in 2014 and 2016, gold at WSG, and bronze at u23 Worlds.

She has basically been in around the medals since she's 22.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:55pm

She also won silver and bronze at the Euro's in 2014 and 2016, gold at WSG, and bronze at u23 Worlds.

Jaysis citing a bronze at u23 is  a big stretch for a now 36 year old whose clocking some of the fastest times she's had in her career.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:29pm

Jaysis citing a bronze at u23 is  a big stretch for a now 36 year old whose clocking some of the fastest times she's had in her career.

He also said she's constantly been in and around the medals. We're not talking Michelle Smith here ffs

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:30pm

You conveniently left out the medals in 2014 and 2016.

She's been a high performance rower for about 15 years.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:32am

Eh, rowing can't be judged on times alone though. I don't know much about the sport, but even a quick look would tell you that times over race distances vary hugely, even the day after a heat to the next day's one, I'd imagine mainly because of water/current conditions. Its not like a track where the thing is solid & the only thing that changes is whether it is wet or dry & if there is wind or not. And unlike a track, water conditions could vary significantly across lanes too. 

36 wouldn't be particularly old for a rower either, this data indicates that the average age of olympic medal winners in rowing has risen by 7 years since 1980.  http://www.worldrowing.com/news/higher-faster-older-the-age-olympians" rel="nofollow - http://www.worldrowing.com/news/higher-faster-older-the-age-olympians

Like any sportsperson these days, I wouldn't be stating with certainty they were clean, but neither do I see anything really unusual here whatsoever, she is an example of consistency for the guts of 20 years. The O'Donovans have often stated that there are 4 or 5 crews that could win any race on a given day, including themselves, I doubt it is a lot different for the single rowers, there are a huge amount of variables at play, more so than track based sport. 

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 9:08am
Ironic calling out a superb sportswoman with a history of success over two decades yet nothing said about the batch of Skibbereen towers that happily coincidentally all came on the scene at once. But sure they seem like good craic and a couple of them can put the success down to pulling like dogs and eating steaks so nothing to see here.

What’s in the water down there is the question to be asked.

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:21am
No one going to mention your man who broke the marathon world record over the weekend by over 1 minute?

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:31am

Canelos win over GGG at the weekend is worth a mention. Aside from the dodgy result, his positive drug test earlier in the year has surely tainted the win.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:32am
It's not that much in the context of marathon running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_record_progression" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon_world_record_progression

I see the Dublin ladies GAA team must be neck deep in EPO or something too? - and I won't mention the mens team!

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:30pm
http://independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/paul-kimmage-i-have-more-questions-for-jamie-heaslip-but-will-he-answer-them-38634240.html" rel="nofollow - http://independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/paul-kimmage-i-have-more-questions-for-jamie-heaslip-but-will-he-answer-them-38634240.html
Kimmage is like a dog on a bone over this Heaslip thing. LOL

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm
He is ever a dog with a bone. He doesn't let stuff lie at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 4:32pm
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337

Some nervous Team Marginal Gains cyclists current and former I'd imagine

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 6:13pm
I heard Ronnie O'Sullivan failed a drug test for cannabis and has been given a lengthy ban.  At least he finished his career on a high.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/50219337

Some nervous Team Marginal Gains cyclists current and former I'd imagine

Whole thing is a bit of a fudge though Den. Some statute of limitations date thing has been passed, so if Freeman says drugs were for Sutton, Sutton says they weren't, maybe Sutton will name who he knows or thinks they were for, maybe he'll say he knows nothing about anything, it just all goes around in a circle. 

Lads who want to believe in marginal gains will continue to do so, lads who know anything at all about the subject will find some of the excuses laughable, and on it continues. Only thing is, I think this lad could prove to be mentally frail. He's already delayed this enquiry a number of times, today his QC says he admitted to telling a load of lies (there's a shock....) up to very recently, even to his own legal people, and he's asked that a screen be erected to shield him from Sutton if Sutton is also appearing at the enquiry, so he can't see him. 

It all suggests a fella feeling a lot of strain anyway, maybe he'll crack and admit more than he intends to. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:49am
This thing only getting going, as above- Freeman says Sutton 'bullied him into' ordering drugs, which Freeman maintains were for him, Sutton denies this and is also expected to produce medical evidence that indicates the drugs weren't for him. 

In another fudge, the tribunal intends to establish that the drugs were not for Sutton, but instead were used for microdosing (doping) purposes on ''an athlete'' connected to British Cycling who they have no intention of naming, or perhaps haven't enough evidence to name. 

I wonder who that could be. David Walsh or someone like that might know, I can't think of anyone. Hardly the 2 lads that won most of the cycling GT races over the last 8 years, can rule them out straight away.......

One of the more interesting side aspects of today was that the testosterone patch supplier knew Dr Freeman since his days at Bolton Wanderers (he was there around the time of the Big Sam era). Ah sure, I'm sure everything was above board there anyway, why would anyone think otherwise. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:00pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/danroan" rel="nofollow -
More sensational exchanges: Sutton to O’Rourke while thumping table: 
“You’re saying I can’t get a hard-on in the press. Well my wife wants to come here & testify you’re a bloody liar!” 
(Freeman says he ordered the Testogel on behalf of Sutton to treat his erectile dysfunction

'Kin hell LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:32pm
An interesting day, but for all the drama, nobody is closer to finding out anything. While Sutton could well be telling the truth about this episode, the man has been in cycling since the late 70's and has seen and lived through several different 'drug of choice' eras in the sport. 

That he knows more isn't in question (he is believed to be the source of the Wiggins/jiffy bag story that won't quite go away), but because of Freeman's defence approach, its beginning to look like he has a choice of telling more & implicating a load of others, not least himself, or taking a vow of silence and refusing to return to the tribunal. 

This Ms O'Rourke QC seems to be a more than capable operator, maybe that's her goal, annoy Sutton enough to tell all, and thus show that Freeman was only a small cog in a bigger, dirtier machine. If he refuses to cooperate, she would have something of a valid point that Sutton isn't a reliable witness and thus her client isn't guilty of the (3 out of 22, the other 19 are uncontested) charges against him.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
Russian reaction to their ban will be interesting to say the least. I'd imagine that somebody in Moscow signed off on a large budget increase for Fancy Bears this morning to go do their thing. Don't leave us down Vlad. 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:47pm
Is Pep still doping the players or what lads?
Mustn’t have got any good gear in this season 

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Is Pep still doping the players or what lads?
Mustn’t have got any good gear in this season 

The drug exporters are Russian so they’re having to lie low for a bit. Once it passes City will go on another run streak

Posted By: Martiponti
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I heard Ronnie O'Sullivan failed a drug test for cannabis and has been given a lengthy ban.  At least he finished his career on a high.
    LOL

Posted By: Martiponti
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/danroan" rel="nofollow -
More sensational exchanges: Sutton to O’Rourke while thumping table: 
“You’re saying I can’t get a hard-on in the press.

'Kin hell LOL
  Sex in the hotpress?????

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/09/mo-farah-alberto-salazar-i-would-have-left-sooner" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/09/mo-farah-alberto-salazar-i-would-have-left-sooner

LOLLOL

Of course you would have Mo 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:58pm
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/doping-disgrace-60-athletes-from-london-2012-disqualified-for-testing-positive-years-after-the-games/" rel="nofollow - https://www.sportsradio.com.au/doping-disgrace-60-athletes-from-london-2012-disqualified-for-testing-positive-years-after-the-games/

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
surprised it’s only been 60 to be honest.

In other news, UKAD are refusing to hand over any samples belonging to Mo Farah for retesting, citing a lack of evidence as the reason they won’t. I guess his coach getting done for doping athletes during the most successful period of his career didn’t ring any door bells, sorry alarm bells

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net