Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

He needs to be playing in England.  

The sheer amount of ex-LOI players in and around the national team squad shows that it's a better standard than League 2 or even 1. But whether he's playing at home, abroad, or on the moon, he has no chance of playing in Slovakia. It will be a rearguard action for however long the game is, and that's not him. Aside from that, he isn't "experienced enough" to play for Ireland until McCarthy is gone, which may be just 6 weeks away. Useless dinosaur couldn't even be arsd to stay and watch one of his players score the winner at the weekend, a great goal at any level. I know many of our fans would happily flee the stadium asap when the gates open, during one of McCarthy's games. I wonder how he would like it if they did. 
It is very hard to compare leagues, but it is wishful thinking to think that. The lower leagues in England have suffered from the stockpiling of players at the top of the game and the gap between the top and bottom of the league pyramid is growing, but these are full-time leagues with full-time players. A LOI player moving to an English league club is a step-up.

Lads like Hoban couldn’t cut it at a few different teams in England, whereas lads from the non-league scene in England seem to have less problems adapting the other way. Flores, who scored a truly magnificent goal, couldn’t get a game at A.F.C. Fylde, for example.
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

PreMadonna Byrne had a very good season in Holland when he was 19 played very well against likes of Ajax and scored some great goals, he had a good season in League 1 with Oldham and scored a lot of goals from midfield, hes played well in Europe aswel, the boy has talent and will play at a higher level, Norwich were close to signing him at the start of the season but sure he only plays LOI hes not good enough. 

He's on his 8th club, after falling out of favour or having run ins with managers or whatever the excuse it.

He's a talented player but fails on many occasions to influence games in a league who are mostly part time.

I don't think he's the best player at Rovers.

For me he doesn't do enough. If he wants to copper fasten his place in the Ireland squad he should be playing at a higher level.

What do you perceive to be a higher level ? St. Mirren, Lincoln City  ???

I'd consider L1 and the Scottish league to be a higher level. Both are full time professional leagues with better facilities etc..

May be, although LOI clubs results in European are at least equal to or better than SPL clubs other than the Big 2. Heard Neil NcCann on BBC Radio Scotland a while back saying that the centre in Roadstone was light years ahead of the facilities he had when managing Dundee in the SPL.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

The sheer amount of ex-LOI players in and around the national team squad shows that it's a better standard than League 2 or even 1. But whether he's playing at home, abroad, or on the moon, he has no chance of playing in Slovakia. It will be a rearguard action for however long the game is, and that's not him. Aside from that, he isn't "experienced enough" to play for Ireland until McCarthy is gone, which may be just 6 weeks away. Useless dinosaur couldn't even be arsd to stay and watch one of his players score the winner at the weekend, a great goal at any level. I know many of our fans would happily flee the stadium asap when the gates open, during one of McCarthy's games. I wonder how he would like it if they did. 

Even League 1? You're taking the piss LOL

Sheer amount of players who cant hack it in spl, championship, l1 or l2 show after starring in Ireland says different. Fact is some players struggling in non league football in England can hack it in LOI. Graham Burke, 5 gls against Cork City, same amount as he managed in 70 lge games in championship, l1 n l2. What has did Andy Boyle, Daryl Horgan, Dave McMillan or Richie Towell achieve at a decent level after starring here? Lot of players have played in Ireland, L1 orL2 after being released by bigger clubs but have had to work their way back up before seriously considered for ireland
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:29pm
Ronan Curtis has scored more goals in League 1 in same amount of ganes as he did for Derry . 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
What's your point?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:32pm

PreMadonna Byrne had a very good season in Holland when he was 19 played very well against likes of Ajax and scored some great goals, he had a good season in League 1 with Oldham and scored a lot of goals from midfield, hes played well in Europe aswel, the boy has talent and will play at a higher level, Norwich were close to signing him at the start of the season but sure he only plays LOI hes not good enough. 

He's on his 8th club, after falling out of favour or having run ins with managers or whatever the excuse it.

He's a talented player but fails on many occasions to influence games in a league who are mostly part time.

I don't think he's the best player at Rovers.

For me he doesn't do enough. If he wants to copper fasten his place in the Ireland squad he should be playing at a higher level.

What do you perceive to be a higher level ? St. Mirren, Lincoln City  ???

I'd consider L1 and the Scottish league to be a higher level. Both are full time professional leagues with better facilities etc..

May be, although LOI clubs results in European are at least equal to or better than SPL clubs other than the Big 2. Heard Neil NcCann on BBC Radio Scotland a while back saying that the centre in Roadstone was light years ahead of the facilities he had when managing Dundee in the SPL.....
There is a couple of caveats regarding European results. Firstly, the LOI has an advantage that Scottish clubs, Celtic aside, don’t: they get to get into the Europa via the CL. That gives the LOI winners a huge advantage.
Secondly, as Europe is vital for LOI clubs financially, they give it everything. Scottish clubs have bigger away crowds and television money to fall back on. The LOI also is scheduled to suit a crack at Europe. I remember reading the St. Johnstone forum before a euro game a couple of years back and half their team had been on the piss in Spain a week before.

It is great to hear the facilities are good though. My dislike of Shamrock aside, they are certainly going about things the right way.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Even League 1? You're taking the piss LOL

Sheer amount of players who cant hack it in spl, championship, l1 or l2 show after starring in Ireland says different. Fact is some players struggling in non league football in England can hack it in LOI. Graham Burke, 5 gls against Cork City, same amount as he managed in 70 lge games in championship, l1 n l2. What has did Andy Boyle, Daryl Horgan, Dave McMillan or Richie Towell achieve at a decent level after starring here? Lot of players have played in Ireland, L1 orL2 after being released by bigger clubs but have had to work their way back up before seriously considered for ireland

Says different? I think you've misunderstood my post as you seem to making the same point as me that the LOI simply  isn't as strong as L1 or L2. 

Edited by irishmufc - 02 Mar 2020 at 2:38pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:56pm

FAO kearney30

I was talking to a Rovers fan who was out with Byrne and the sqaud after the cup final and they were saying that Byrne was hard on the gargle

Ah here, say nothing or I will be attacked. Loves the sauce he does LOL
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:01pm
There is no 'level' of the LOI that's comparable to an English context. The difference between top and bottom in the league is much wider than any one level of the English pyramid. the likes of Byrne and Duffy are playing with generally better teams than there are at L1 and L2 level, but playing against generally worse teams. The drop-off outside the top 4 or 5 teams in LOI is fairly stark.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm

What's your point?

My point is the gap isnt big at all. Look at Sean McLoughlin gone from playing LOI to playing Championship in a few months and not looking out of place at all.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 02 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:47pm
Nobody is daft enough to say there is a load of players in the LOI that could make an impact on the Irish team. Like i said you take each case individually. Right now Byrne is the only one I would consider that would make an immediate impact. Chris Shields is the only other one i would consider at a push as i think he has developed into a much better player over the last 2 years. But the assumption that OMG how could a LOI player ever play in the green shirt is just years of PL brainwashing. Don't tell me that Byrne would be like a deer in the headlights against Slovakian players. I am sure he could hold his own.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is very hard to compare leagues, but it is wishful thinking to think that. The lower leagues in England have suffered from the stockpiling of players at the top of the game and the gap between the top and bottom of the league pyramid is growing, but these are full-time leagues with full-time players. A LOI player moving to an English league club is a step-up.

Lads like Hoban couldn’t cut it at a few different teams in England, whereas lads from the non-league scene in England seem to have less problems adapting the other way. Flores, who scored a truly magnificent goal, couldn’t get a game at A.F.C. Fylde, for example.

The standard of L1 and 2 is awful. 46 pub teams playing at 100mph, any of whom could win the league, promotion, get a play off, or relegated in any given season. No difference between any of them. 

Liverpool B beat a full strength Milton Keynes, Liverpool C with Kelleher beat a full strength Shrewsbury, helped by both teams scoring own goals. That's before talking about their other results in Cup games against B teams from higher divisions. That's the standard of football we're talking about. I would like to think LOI is above that, certainly the top of the Premier Division is imo.

Byrne could go across the water at any time. He may not be "experienced enough" in McCarthy's eyes, when we are desperately short of creative players, but I admire him for not doing so. He only needs to look at Graham Burke to see that it isn't always the land of milk and honey. 

Edited by planning - 02 Mar 2020 at 5:02pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:02pm

What's your point?

My point is the gap isnt big at all. Look at Sean McLoughlin gone from playing LOI to playing Championship in a few months and not looking out of place at all.

And then look at Richie Towell and Pat Hoban and many many more.

The amount of players that fail to excel at a higher level is greater than the ones who do.

Eoin Doyle.
He's been excellent at L1 but doesn't seem to be able to make the step up to Championship level.

Edited by horsebox - 02 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
Every players circumstance is different, you need a bit of luck and you need to suit the system aswel. The standard in the LOI is deffo getting better every year imo and the gap is closing. Conor McCarthy is another example who has been playing good stuff in the Scottish Premier league the last few weeks after coming straight from the leagie.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:19pm
He's played 6 times for St Mirren.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm
Jamie McGrath has gone into the St Mirren team in the last few games also.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:35pm

He's played 6 times for St Mirren.

Yes and has done well. Hasnt been out of the team since he signed .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The standard of L1 and 2 is awful. 46 pub teams playing at 100mph, any of whom could win the league, promotion, get a play off, or relegated in any given season. No difference between any of them. 

Liverpool B beat a full strength Milton Keynes, Liverpool C with Kelleher beat a full strength Shrewsbury, helped by both teams scoring own goals. That's before talking about their other results in Cup games against B teams from higher divisions. That's the standard of football we're talking about. I would like to think LOI is above that, certainly the top of the Premier Division is imo.

Byrne could go across the water at any time. He may not be "experienced enough" in McCarthy's eyes, when we are desperately short of creative players, but I admire him for not doing so. He only needs to look at Graham Burke to see that it isn't always the land of milk and honey. 
As I have stated, the stockpiling of players at the top of the game means the gap is huge. Liverpool’s second and third team should be winning these comfortably. They would be expecting to beat LOI teams as easily. 
You are talking about full-time sides in full-time leagues, if you think it is all fast-paced hoof ball then you haven’t seen much lower league football over here and are making assumptions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 138>
  Share Topic