Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 138>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

goal and an assist vs Dundalk

And gave the ball away for a goal also

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:36pm
Id have no problem seeing byrne start for ireland. Play him in an advanced role. Even though mick was there last night he wont see any minutes.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 1:41pm
Kenny always plays with a number 10 so we should see Byrne or possibly Ronan fill that role
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:00pm
You
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Kenny always plays with a number 10 so we should see Byrne or possibly Ronan fill that role
How is Graham Carey doing? If Carruthers can get his act together he would be an option too. Has been excellent recently and playing at a higher level than Byrne.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

How is Graham Carey doing? If Carruthers can get his act together he would be an option too. Has been excellent recently and playing at a higher level than Byrne.

That's a long way to go just to get a dig in at the LOI.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 2:38pm
No dig at all. Carruthers looks the real deal and Carey is a better player, from what I have seen. 
I love the league, I am also a realist about the level it is.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Two assists, so.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

In fairness, it was a good challenge from Slogget while he was making the pass rather than straight forward giving the ball away.

Also, Byrne played the key pass in the move for Watts goal too.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:39am

No dig at all. Carruthers looks the real deal and Carey is a better player, from what I have seen. 

Well it's a good thing then that individual players are what's called up to the squad not entire leagues.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Well it's a good thing then that individual players are what's called up to the squad not entire leagues.
I get that point, to an extent, but there has to be some sort of yardstick. The likes of Towell and Maguire stood out far more and aren’t good enough. At the moment Byrne is little more than a very good LOI player. That’s not good enough and shouldn’t be.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:42am

I get that point, to an extent, but there has to be some sort of yardstick. The likes of Towell and Maguire stood out far more and aren’t good enough. At the moment Byrne is little more than a very good LOI player. That’s not good enough and shouldn’t be.

Towell played in one of the best LOI teams of all time and Maguire as a forward will always stand out more than a creative centre midfielder who isn't overly renowned for his goal scoring attributes (despite a good record at Shamrock Rovers)

Jack Byrne could play at a higher level than LOI though, how far could Samir Carruthers go right now? It's Byrne's choice to stay in the LOI.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
If Carruthers can sort himself out he can unquestionably play higher than League Two. He has already performed well at a higher level. Byrne has only really done anything consistently in the LOI, bar a brief spell at Oldham. I can understand why he does, it is his right, but only adds questions rather than answer them.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:58am

If Carruthers can sort himself out he can unquestionably play higher than League Two. He has already performed well at a higher level. Byrne has only really done anything consistently in the LOI, bar a brief spell at Oldham. I can understand why he does, it is his right, but only adds questions rather than answer them.

Byrne has always been exceptionally good technically but yeah he lost his way at various clubs and thankfully coming home has helped him regain his confidence and he's now starting to show his potential albeit at LOI level.

He's probably ready now to go and tackle a bigger challenge, mentally and physically imo but his next move will be crucial. I think it will make or break his career, we all know he can always come back to Ireland and be a star but I'm sure he wants more than that.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up mind.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:03pm

you take each case individually. clearly jack byrne is talented, anyone that watches LOI games regularly knows this. he ran the show against Brann in the europa league last year in both games which shows his talent can transfer. yes there are players in our midfield squad who play at a higher level but are any of them technically better than him(possibly jeff who has good close control). he does things the rest of them can't do. FACT. don't give me this mullarkey hes only playing at LOI level cause its bollix IMO. talent is talent is talent. right now hes a million per cent deserves to be in the squad at a minimum. Personally i would like to see him get some decent minutes also.

Edited by doherty - 02 Mar 2020 at 12:05pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
I mentioned Carey and Carruthers above as they are both technically proficient footballers playing at a higher level than Byrne. Both have overcome tougher tests at higher levels than Byrne. 
I think there are far too many doubts about him to be near the squad. That isn’t just down to the league he is playing in either. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:20pm
I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

He is a talented boy but what level can he play at? It doesn't matter if the home sickness is now gone, he needs to be playing in England. 

Until as such time as Irish sides are mixing it up in the Europa League group stages (at least) we can forget it. 

On one hand we sl*g off lads who are league 1 and then lament JB. 

Truth is league one team would beat Rovers.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

He is a talented boy but what level can he play at? It doesn't matter if the home sickness is now gone, he needs to be playing in England. 

Until as such time as Irish sides are mixing it up in the Europa League group stages (at least) we can forget it. 

On one hand we sl*g off lads who are league 1 and then lament JB. 

Truth is league one team would beat Rovers.

Literally everything that is wrong with irish football in those 2 sentences. He needs to be playing in England. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:32pm
How? It's the truth. Unless Irish football is doing well in Europe - then we can forget about it. 

Take off the blinkers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 138>
  Share Topic