You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 138>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Looks like Rovers is the only serious offer on the table for him. Which means we're likely facing into a few more years of him being a standout player domestically and being constantly touted for an Ireland squad place when all evidence based on his time abroad suggests that he's nowhere near good enough for the international team.

To be honest I was hoping he'd go to the US and we could just forget about him.

LOL
So weird 
if you want to forget about him, there are some great offers to the US with Aer Lingus at the moment. Whats stopping ya ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Looks like Rovers is the only serious offer on the table for him. Which means we're likely facing into a few more years of him being a standout player domestically and being constantly touted for an Ireland squad place when all evidence based on his time abroad suggests that he's nowhere near good enough for the international team.

To be honest I was hoping he'd go to the US and we could just forget about him.

The first paragraph suggests opinion. the second paragraph confirms an agenda on your behalf.

Here's a fact since Jack Byrne last played for Ireland a year ago... we still haven't had a player appear with his creative playmaking abilities. 

If he gets back to the form he was in for rovers a year ago, he will be an extremely strong contender for the international team, not just based on form, but based on the uniqueness of his abilities in his position. 

Would Jack start giving the current system Kenny plays? Probably not. Would it make sense to have him on the bench when it's still 0-0 against a minnow playing a low block? Yes

It's nternational football we're playing not champions League. Jack will be fine.

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:58pm
Bizarre post, more options the better.

We're still lacking that spark in the final 3rd. If he gets back to level he was before he left then he should be in the running. 

Hes no worse than Daryl Horgan or Ronan Curtis who have been getting into squads and seeing game time under Kenny.

He was as good as McGrath in the LOI and better than Ogbene in both the LOI and L1.

Bad decisions is the reason where he finds himself, not through lack of ability.

Had he signed for L1 club last January and done as well as he did there with Oldham a few years ago he'd be considered along Keane, Horgan, Ogbene, Curtis who would be all competing at the same level.

We seen last night the impact a player like Ogbene can have who doesnt even get much of a look in at his club in L1 yet had it in the locker to take it to Portugal last night.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:26pm
I don't think he is an option though. At least, not a good one anyway. The truth of it is that he's a lovely player on the ball but doesn't put in the hard yards off it.

He's a similar enough player to Dan Crowley, who is floating around League 1 and is nowhere near the Ireland squad. It wouldn't have mattered whether he'd gone to League 1 instead of Cyprus, the outcome would have been much the same. He's not really comparable to Horgan or Curtis, those lads are hard working, if not especially talented, footballers. Byrne's a different kind of player to them.

Championship and League 1 clubs as well as mid rank international teams like Ireland can't afford luxury players like Byrne, unless they're unbelievably talented, like say Wes Hoolahan. Rovers can at the level they play at, and that's why there's a spot waiting for him there. But I don't see him as being anywhere near international standard, any more than Dan Crowley is.

Edited by You Tell Me - 12 Nov 2021 at 10:27pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:36pm
Bizarre, it’s a Dublin thing though obviously, youve weirdly brought it up before, and weirdly done it again.  
Just say it instead of skirting around it, have the bollox to say what you mean. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 10:57pm
Kenny has the courage to pick players based in their talent, not the club they play for or the league the play in. Ogbene, McGrath are 2 current examples.

Byrne playing regularly, regardless of where that is, is a good thing for Ireland. He has something that we lack. He's still only 25 and I think he'll win more caps. I'm calling it now 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

We seen last night the impact a player like Ogbene can have who doesnt even get much of a look in at his club in L1 yet had it in the locker to take it to Portugal last night.

Ogbene has started 11 of the 15 games he's played in the league and the one he missed was through injury.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:14am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Ogbene has started 11 of the 15 games he's played in the league and the one he missed was through injury.

Fair enough but my point still stands, average L1 player that doesn't pull up trees in the league is still capable of playing well above his level putting in an exceptional shift against a team like Portugal.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:47am
I'd like to see Byrne consider a slower paced league like Italy, it would definitely suit his play a lot better than the kick and rush style of England. Even if he didnt go to Italy he would have very good options in Holland, or even Belgium. The emphasis on skill in those leagues rather than hoofball would suit him a lot better. The lad is by far the most accomplished footballer we've produced in recent years, he should be well able for the continental game. 
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

I'd like to see Byrne consider a slower paced league like Italy, it would definitely suit his play a lot better than the kick and rush style of England. Even if he didnt go to Italy he would have very good options in Holland, or even Belgium. The emphasis on skill in those leagues rather than hoofball would suit him a lot better. The lad is by far the most accomplished footballer we've produced in recent years, he should be well able for the continental game. 

What makes you think he would have options in those leagues when he had to go where he did & is now looking like he might boomerang home again  ? It doesn't stack up. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:30am
I don't know that he had options in any of those countries but he certainly had other options than Cyprus. However financially the Cyprus move was the best one so he went there. Again, I'm not sure it would have made any difference, I know he had at least one option in Scotland but the last time he went there he flopped as well. So there was no reason to believe that this would have been any different.

I wouldn't be surprised if he won another cap or two for the same reason he won a few caps before now - over estimation of his abilities based on League of Ireland performances. But I'm calling it now, he'll never be a serious option for us at international level.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:00am
The Jack Byrne bedwetters are back!  
At this stage it is clear that Jack Byrne is simply a flop as a footballer.  
Flopped in League 1, the likes of McClean, Bazunu and Ogbene are able to play in it, no problem!  
Flopped in the SPFL, McGrath, Horgan and plenty of others have been able to play in it no problem!
Flopped in Cyprus, Cillian Sheridan was able to play in it no problem!  
Ran away from Cyprus as soon as McCarthy left, and is happier not playing football for 3 months instead of trying to win his place in the team.  The lad has SOME talent, but clearly lacks the temperament to make it at the top level.  I'm sure he'll do well back at Rovers but please, stop talking about him for Ireland, he's not good enough.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

The Jack Byrne bedwetters are back!  
At this stage it is clear that Jack Byrne is simply a flop as a footballer.  
Flopped in League 1, the likes of McClean, Bazunu and Ogbene are able to play in it, no problem!  
Flopped in the SPFL, McGrath, Horgan and plenty of others have been able to play in it no problem!
Flopped in Cyprus, Cillian Sheridan was able to play in it no problem!  
Ran away from Cyprus as soon as McCarthy left, and is happier not playing football for 3 months instead of trying to win his place in the team.  The lad has SOME talent, but clearly lacks the temperament to make it at the top level.  I'm sure he'll do well back at Rovers but please, stop talking about him for Ireland, he's not good enough.  

Clap
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
To be fair, where was Wes at 25? Tbh I dont hold too many hopes for Byrne , but I wouldnt write him off entirely at 25 either. Having said that, I cant see him getting selected any time soon if he goes back to Rovers and I would hope that the likes of Smallbone and Ronan will continue to develop past him.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:08am
He didn't flop in League One, he was a success at Oldham.

He fell out with Owen Coyle right after signing for Blackburn and the manager who signed him for Wigan was sacked straight away. So there are extenuating circumstances behind those moves failing.

APOEL were, and are, a basket case club. I wouldn't read anything into that other than he was badly advised going there to begin with.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:11am
Don't let the actual truth of the last 12 months get in thew way of good aul Jack Byrne bashing.

SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:25am
Terrible comparison. Wes never flopped. He succeeded every club he was at in Scotland, Blackpool and on to Norwich. The issue with Wes was our international managers were not picking him irrespective of how well he was doing at club. Byrne has done zero at nearly every club bar Shams. But saying that if he gets a club, plays well etc then he comes back into conversation, but that seems a long long way off.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:29am
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 138>
  Share Topic