You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Unless I read the wrong report Apoel we’re beaten 4-0 today so they didn’t do great without him . Feel sorry for Jack if he doesn’t get a decent chance there. Manager will probably be sacked if they have one or two more bad results 

It was a joke.

Regardless of their being a new manager in two months or not I'd just get out of there if I was Jack. Who's the say the next manager won't last another 2 months. 

Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Unless I read the wrong report Apoel we’re beaten 4-0 today so they didn’t do great without him . Feel sorry for Jack if he doesn’t get a decent chance there. Manager will probably be sacked if they have one or two more bad results 

It was a joke.

Regardless of their being a new manager in two months or not I'd just get out of there if I was Jack. Who's the say the next manager won't last another 2 months. 

Ya it’s seems a crazy set up at Apoel 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:03am

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It was a joke.

Ya it’s seems a crazy set up at Apoel 

I've seen in interviews where he said Mick leaving wasn't a big deal and that the club were committed to him etc, etc ... But I'd say his heart sank when Mick got the bullet. The guy who bought you sacked before you can even show what you can do and the new manager hasn't given him anything close to what you'd call a chance to shine. 

Needs to strike now cause 6-12 months time and he's the forgotten man again. I'd say he'll be gone by the end of the transfer window one way or another. He does have his Ireland career riding on this as well. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:49am
To be fair, I dont know of many people who thought this move was a good idea on the first place, his career would have had better exposure had he stayed in the LOI

To be honest, I think I'd prefer a 40 year old Wes Hoolahan who is still doing the business with Cambridge, be selected for the ireland squad than I would a 25 year old Jack Byrne.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

To be fair, I dont know of many people who thought this move was a good idea on the first place, his career would have had better exposure had he stayed in the LOI

To be honest, I think I'd prefer a 40 year old Wes Hoolahan who is still doing the business with Cambridge, be selected for the ireland squad than I would a 25 year old Jack Byrne.

Regrettably you are correct. Needs the right manager and environment. He still has time but badly needs the right club. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:40am
Has been unlucky in Cyprus (or maybe he just made a bad decision to go there - there was other reported interest at the time) but he has had a lot of chances in his career. You would think if he was good enough it would have worked out at least at one of the UK clubs he played for.

I think with Jack the good things he does on the ball gloss over a lot of what he doesn't do that most teams need from their midfielders. At the very top level there's probably scope to carry a creative midfielder who doesn't do the tracking back and hard work around the field, but he's not good enough to play at that level. Then at the other end of the spectrum in the LoI someone like him is just a standout. But at the levels in-between, where he is trying to make a living, teams can't afford to carry a midfielder who is largely a passenger when the opposition are in possession.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:57pm

He doesn't have an international career. He jacked it in when he moved to somewhere off the beaten track. Before you tell us it isn't, it may as well be to an Irish football team manager. History has told us that if you're not in England or with Celtic, they just don't want to know. Obviously it shouldn't be that way, but it is. So if he wants to play for us again, he'll have to move much closer to home.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 3:52pm
Are people jumping the gun on this?

According to one anonymous report he is not wanted. Who is to say this isnt just rumor mongering? I seem to remember Jack giving an interview not too long ago where the chairman said that he was still very important to APOEL's plans. APOEL being on the end of a 4-0 beating might give him another chance.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

According to one anonymous report he is not wanted. Who is to say this isnt just rumor mongering? I seem to remember Jack giving an interview not too long ago where the chairman said that he was still very important to APOEL's plans. APOEL being on the end of a 4-0 beating might give him another chance.

Yes, this was why I asked for the source. Maybe he is out of favour but a few posters seem to have gladly accepted as gospel a tweet with no links just "according to local reports". Maybe because they wanted to believe it. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 4:44pm
Going by their record, APOEL should have a new manager any day now
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Yes, this was why I asked for the source. Maybe he is out of favour but a few posters seem to have gladly accepted as gospel a tweet with no links just "according to local reports". Maybe because they wanted to believe it. 

Relax, no one is "taking it as gospel". Its a football forum, not Sky Sports News. Although, clearly something going behind the scenes that we are not aware of. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 6:18pm
This the report everyones on about?

Originally posted by Report Report wrote:

The registration of Lucas Souza in the staff of APOEL and the expected addition of another fast and quality extreme striker will bring the departure of players from the list A '.

We learn that the decisions were made by Savva Poursaitidis and the management of the "APOEL Football" Company for the players who should be released.

Dongala and Garner will leave for different reasons, while there are chances for Jack Byrne to leave on loan.

One is not convinced and the other pays for his misfortune

The Ntiemersi Ntongkala not convinced "Poursa" that could be changed to an extent that it can help substantially.

The Joe Garner , although both played very good, he remains idle for more than three months and no longer "fit" to the roster along with Kvilitaia and maglić.

Thoughts on Jack Byrne

As for Jack Byrne , with the arrival of Souza who together with Dausville and Danilo will fill the positions in the midfield, his stay seems like a luxury.

Thoughts are being made to give him on loan since he has a contract until the end of May 2023. The Irish midfielder felt annoyed with the assistants in Monday's training session and did not play in the friendly with Panathinaikos.

There is of course the possibility that Byrne will secure a contract in his homeland or in England since he still has a very good name.

Omar Hani is also leaving

The 22-year-old Jordanian midfielder has a very high contract with 150 thousand euros per year and will soon be asked to consent to the termination of his contract since it is not in the plans of Savvas Poursaitidis.

Reportage: George Pattichis

Club sounds a bit of a basket case. Joe Garner was one of their best player last season and they want him gone too. Scored 8 in 11.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He doesn't have an international career. He jacked it in when he moved to somewhere off the beaten track. Before you tell us it isn't, it may as well be to an Irish football team manager. History has told us that if you're not in England or with Celtic, they just don't want to know. Obviously it shouldn't be that way, but it is. So if he wants to play for us again, he'll have to move much closer to home.

Surely this isn’t the case with Kenny as manager? Kenny strikes me as a “it doesn’t matter where you play, I’ll be thorough enough to see all options” kind of guy.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 11:40pm
We're talking about a manager who more often than not has started a striker who is unproven at club level. Kenny definitely seems to be a manager who picks players based on what he knows their capable of and how that fits into what he wants to do.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 11:44pm
Jack Byrne isn’t at the level for international football in fairness . Yeah he likes to take the ball on and find a pass but if true truth be told he’s miles off what we need. Whether that is down to attitude or talent or a mixture of both I don’t know but he shouldn’t be considered unless a massive improvement . Being good at under 15s for Man City isn’t worth a f**k at international level 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Jack Byrne isn’t at the level for international football in fairness . Yeah he likes to take the ball on and find a pass but if true truth be told he’s miles off what we need. Whether that is down to attitude or talent or a mixture of both I don’t know but he shouldn’t be considered unless a massive improvement . Being good at under 15s for Man City isn’t worth a f**k at international level 

What IS the level for International football though?

Because the majority of teams we play are filled with players of a similar level of Byrne with even more playing below that.

Its not every month we're up against the Frances, Germanys, Portugals, Englands of International football...

We play teams likes Georgia, Gibraltar, Bulgaria, Finland, Luxembourg, Andorra far more than we do any of the big teams.

Byrne has shown hes more than capable holding his own in the few cameos hes played for Ireland, particularly against Bulgaria when he changed the game after coming on.

Sure look at Daryl Horgan under Kenny, he hasnt played a high level for the most part of his career namely in Ireland, Scotland and Championship / League One. Hes no world beater but as I said, we're not playing world class teams or players in every match. Hes shown hes more than up to it against players of a similar or lesser calibre than he is.

Jack is still only 25 and can still carve out a decent career for himself.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Because the majority of teams we play are filled with players of a similar level of Byrne with even more playing below that.

Its not every month we're up against the Frances, Germanys, Portugals, Englands of International football...

We play teams likes Georgia, Gibraltar, Bulgaria, Finland, Luxembourg, Andorra far more than we do any of the big teams.

Byrne has shown hes more than capable holding his own in the few cameos hes played for Ireland, particularly against Bulgaria when he changed the game after coming on.

Sure look at Daryl Horgan under Kenny, he hasnt played a high level for the most part of his career namely in Ireland, Scotland and Championship / League One. Hes no world beater but as I said, we're not playing world class teams or players in every match. Hes shown hes more than up to it against players of a similar or lesser calibre than he is.

Jack is still only 25 and can still carve out a decent career for himself.

This is it. It's not the 1970's. The standard of international teams outside the top 20 is fairly mediocre. Jack is the type of player we could have done with when we were playing these 3rd/4th and in some cases 2nd seed teams. 

I find it baffling how so many people reject the idea of having a player in the squad who actually DEMANDS to be in possession of the ball. We're falling over ourselves with midfielders who's first thought on receiving the ball is "how quick can I get rid of it?" It's a novelty to actually have a player who is so willing to take responsibility and try make things happen.

As mentioned, any time he's played for Ireland he's never looked out of place, yet some of our current midfield options get a pass cause they were useful once upon a time...?

"But they play premier league football!" Whoopty-doo.

I don't give a monkeys. HOW....DO...THEY...PLAY...WHEN...THEY...PUT....THE...IRISH....JERSEY...ON? That's all that matters, and it goes for everyone Kenny chooses to select. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

The majority of players we play against are the standard of a reserve player in the Cypriot league or worse? I'm fairly sure that's not true. I think we can ignore his performances in friendlies also, Lee O'Connor looked good for us in a friendly once and struggled in League 2 last season.

So far his successes at club level have come in the League of Ireland and, at a push, one season with an Eredivisie team that came last in the league - so I'm not sure how much of a success that could be claimed to be.

Until he shows something at a higher club level, I don't see any justification for him to be involved.

Dan Crowley is a similar type of player to Byrne, but has actually achieved more than him at a younger age. He's currently drifting around the lower leagues in England on trials trying to find a club to sign him for the season. No takers yet. 

Teams need players who will put in a defensive shift as well as being creative in possession, just being good on the ball is no longer enough, unless you're absolutely exceptional, which Byrne and Crowley aren't. Byrne will need to develop that side of his game if he's to have any hope of making it at a decent level, if we're being honest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 138>
  Share Topic