Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roddy Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 2:59pm
How many teams has managed here in Ireland ?
Rovers
Mons
Derry
Da Town
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:08pm
Cork
Bohs
Dublin city
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:15pm
How many teams have gone bust during or shortly after, his tenure? The loi's answer to Harry Redknapp
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

He has a track record in that league. To be fair to him he made us very solid defensively and had the Lads very fit

The ball Daschle awful to watch though and he was a lunatic off the pitch
He learned to not cancel training when it was raining and bring the players to the pub I take it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How many teams have gone bust during or shortly after, his tenure? The loi's answer to Harry Redknapp
Removing Cork from the equation as he never managed any games, all clubs he managed had significany financial issues around or just after his management reign. I don't think you can blame him for Bohs, so that is 6 from 7.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:03pm
He managed a few pre season games, well at least one but you can't blame him for City's mess at the time, although it is strange how he turned up. That is some record.
I really do think clubs see him as an easy way out now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:51pm
Don't think he was much to blame for shanrock's demise either was he ? Or monaghan's (sham ???)

I blame our board more than I blame roddy.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:54pm
he can only spend what hes given by the board

was fenlon the cause of shels or bohs trouble?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:54pm

Don't think he was much to blame for shanrock's demise either was he ? Or monaghan's (sham ???)

Not to blame for our demise unless you call securing promotion which of course leads to higher wages and more outgoings as being the reason of our demise. The blame for what happened us rests fairly and squarely at the door of the so called footballing pubic (barstool dopes) of Monaghan town and surrounding areas. The writing had been on the wall for us for a while and well in advance of Rodericks arrival on the border.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:58pm
As much as I can appreciate the ire you have for the people of Monaghan not supporting their team, surely you shouldn't be budgeting on potential supporters?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:01pm
We hounded him out but his record wasn't that bad. Hutton's is actually much much worse and his job is safe as houses.

The football was terrible under roddy but is worse now.

The players he brought to the club just weren't good enough and he picked the wrong fights at the club
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:04pm

Very much so, in the sense he asked for and got bananas money for that team and proceeded to root them to the bottom of the table. That money was a sizeable chunk of the debt in the end. 

I can't emphasise how expensive that side was, one of the highest wagebills ever in Irish football, I heard €22,000 a week. McLiar knew nothing about football and gave Roddy everything he wanted on an eyewatering contract. The old argument about managers spending what they are given is one thing, but Roddy must have known that he was signing duffers on megabucks and they would never be close to competing with Shels and Bohs.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:07pm
Managers have to take a certain amount of responsibility for spending.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:08pm

As much as I can appreciate the ire you have for the people of Monaghan not supporting their team, surely you shouldn't be budgeting on potential supporters?
indeed not PM, however clubs have to budget and budget on something realistic, be it the previous seasons attendances for example. When attendances for the 1st division were on some occasions dwarfing attendances when in the PL, then that's were the problems start... 

There were other things as well, which contributed which may sound trivial enough but killed us financially  such as SRFC being scheduled to play on a Tuesday night I think it was and we had one man and his dog there. Then of course there was a period where we had a few weeks of a break and our first game back was away to Sligo. Now, granted things like that shouldn't be making or breaking anything, but on top of everything else, they were shall we say, less than helpful
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Very much so, in the sense he asked for and got bananas money for that team and proceeded to root them to the bottom of the table. That money was a sizeable chunk of the debt in the end. 

I can't emphasise how expensive that side was, one of the highest wagebills ever in Irish football, I heard €22,000 a week. McLiar knew nothing about football and gave Roddy everything he wanted on an eyewatering contract. The old argument about managers spending what they are given is one thing, but Roddy must have known that he was signing duffers on megabucks and they would never be close to competing with Shels and Bohs.

Fair enough, don't really know the ins and outs myself so couldn't disagree with you
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:54am
"Sham157" - I remember driving up to Monaghan with a few Rovers mates when the Hoops were slumming it in Div 1. Was it Gortakeegan Pk? Anyway the local support was very poor and the away support easily outnumbered them. We amused ourselves by singing: "you`re only here to see the Rovers..." Driving back home, I began to wonder if Monaghan was chosen by the FAI to promote the league in the north east/border region and if so, why had they not looked into the low population base of the area before granting Monaghan a licence?

Every ambitious manager will blow a club`s budget into the stratosphere. Dave O`Leary at Leeds, Martin O`Neill at Villa, Roy Keane at Ipswich all come very quickly to mind. While the dapper Roddy might like to swan around in designer clobber, he`s smart enough to know that he has to cut his cloth at Waterford. The big budget aint there. And while he`s had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus, every manager is on a learning curve -even Mourinho. Waterford were once giants of the LOI, so Roddy`s 1st task is to remind his players of that club`s history and tradition.
HateHenry View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Crap at lists & YBIG KK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HateHenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

indeed not PM, however clubs have to budget and budget on something realistic, be it the previous seasons attendances for example. When attendances for the 1st division were on some occasions dwarfing attendances when in the PL, then that's were the problems start... 

There were other things as well, which contributed which may sound trivial enough but killed us financially  such as SRFC being scheduled to play on a Tuesday night I think it was and we had one man and his dog there. Then of course there was a period where we had a few weeks of a break and our first game back was away to Sligo. Now, granted things like that shouldn't be making or breaking anything, but on top of everything else, they were shall we say, less than helpful

We where all away on international duty when the news broke that Mons where done...Had they not just played 4 away games in a row? Sham?(for some bizarre reason)
Polska Bialo Czerwoni
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:50am
Did they not go under during the Euros? A few away games followed by the break for the championships being the final straw, iirc? Sham should tidy this up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic