You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mourhino to Utd: Should Fergie step step aside?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mourhino to Utd: Should Fergie step step aside?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:18pm
I can't think of a manager less suited to United than Mourinho. From style of play to his desire to manage one club for a few years then move on to his general conduct as a manager he just doesn't suit the club at all. Hopefully Bobby Charlton gets his wish.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Sponsored Links

Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

I can't think of a manager less suited to United than Mourinho. From style of play to his desire to manage one club for a few years then move on to his general conduct as a manager he just doesn't suit the club at all. Hopefully Bobby Charlton gets his wish.

Couldnt agree more

Mourinho is a great manager but just wouldnt suit united imo
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Then again, ignoring the time at Chelsea (when Mou had more money than he could shake a stick at, versus Fergie dealing with the worst debt levels of any club in the history of time ever)

Absolutely fcuking hilarious post
Well done

Nice selective quoting.

And aside from the mockery, what is wrong with what I posted?
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:59pm
Some crazy posts on here in the last few hours.

To call Mourinho a 'tactical dinosaur' is incredibly inaccurate. This is a man who studies, studies, studies opposition and who knows every player in Europe inside-out. He is immense at this. His man-management goes a long, long way in to making sure all of the players pull for him, but they pull for him in the direction he sets out by studying the opposition. Tactically, he has managed four different top teams, and used different systems with all of them...I don't know how anyone who watches football can not see that Mourinho gets it tactically right more often than not. He was the only manager in Europe to stop the machine that was Guardiola's Barcelona. I know Barca beat Real a few times, but they were also beaten in some big games by Mourinho's tactics and Mouirnho's tactics alone. Mourinho has beaten every manager in Europe tactically over the last few years - including Ferguson.

But to say Fergie won't win another title if Mourinho comes back is crazy talk. How many people over how many years have predicted Ferguson's downfall - and how many times has egg been splattered all over their faces? Surely people have to learn from this sort of nonsense. Mourinho did beat Fergie to two titles in 05 and 06; but let's not forget that Peter Kenyon deflected to Chelsea and brought with him United's plans over those two years. Chelsea snapped up all of United's planned transfers and offered them more money. Arjen Robben, Martja Kezman, Petr Cech, Michael Essien, Lassana Diarra among others were all expected to be signing for United in that period. United were left having to rush in second-class options such as Djemba and Klebersen. That's not any excuse, but it put United on the back-foot and Mouirnho came in and won titles with 90+ points. United didn't go backwards, they were still finishing with their 85-86-points or so, Chelsea just went way forwards. But after two years, Fergie rebuilt, regrouped and suddenly started to smash through the 90-point barrier with United himself. Mouirnho raised the bar in England - no doubt about it - but Fergie managed to raise it above him yet again.....as he does.

I would think Mourinho going to Chelsea will make it a three-horse race for titles over the next few years, but there is absolutely no reason to think Ferguson couldn't win more titles than Chelsea and City in that period. Throwing billions in to football clubs hasn't exactly put Fergie off winning titles....I wouldn't write him off achieving anything in the game to be honest. Writing him off is just crazy talk. 

As for Barow's comments...I don't know what to say without sounding like I'm personally having a go. Suffice to say, he is very sensitive when it comes to United, and I appreciate people backing or 'supporting' their team - I like that. But his sensitivity really does bring out some baffling and cringeworthy opinions on the game. I'd be certain he doesn't believe half of the opinions he has himself...he just has a sensitive quick reaction. It's the sort of stuff that give United fans a bad name.

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:31pm
Well fergie has maybe 5 yrs left. Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mourinho will win the title 3 or 4 times in that space of time and Man City could nick another title too. Who would have thought its been nearly 10yrs since Arsenal won the title and this was a team that never lost a game in 03/04. Fergie will no doubt be Chelseas biggest rivals but if Mourinho is left to his own judgement and given the funds they will be incredibly hard to beat. Fergie might have 4-5 2nd place finishes in that time. Personally anytime fergie goes up against Mourunho I would back Mourinhos side to win most times.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Well fergie has maybe 5 yrs left. Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mourinho will win the title 3 or 4 times in that space of time and Man City could nick another title too. Who would have thought its been nearly 10yrs since Arsenal won the title and this was a team that never lost a game in 03/04. Fergie will no doubt be Chelseas biggest rivals but if Mourinho is left to his own judgement and given the funds they will be incredibly hard to beat. Fergie might have 4-5 2nd place finishes in that time. Personally anytime fergie goes up against Mourunho I would back Mourinhos side to win most times.

A lot has changed since he arrived in England. When he first went to Chelsea (nine years ago now), he signed Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Ricardo Carvalho, Didier Drogba, Paulo Ferreira and a few more for around £80m..... over half a team, more or less world class players, for the same price as Cristiano Ronaldo. He won't have the same cash to spend again, and for Chelsea to challenge they probably need a new striker, a new centre back (EBJT is reaching the end), a new centre mid (and maybe two, seeing as Lamps is off). They won't get the standard of players they need for the same price they got those players for in 2004, and Abramovich may not be willing to spend what is required, especially with FFP on the way.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 07 May 2013 at 8:51pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:13pm
rumour has it that fergie is to announce his retirement in the next few mins anyway, all tv channels setting up at old trafford

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 07 May 2013 at 9:16pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:25pm

A lot has changed since he arrived in England. When he first went to Chelsea (nine years ago now), he signed Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Ricardo Carvalho, Didier Drogba, Paulo Ferreira and a few more for around £80m..... over half a team, more or less world class players, for the same price as Cristiano Ronaldo. He won't have the same cash to spend again, and for Chelsea to challenge they probably need a new striker, a new centre back (EBJT is reaching the end), a new centre mid (and maybe two, seeing as Lamps is off). They won't get the standard of players they need for the same price they got those players for in 2004, and Abramovich may not be willing to spend what is required, especially with FFP on the way.

Maybe so but Mourinho can do wonders even with an average group of players. All he needs is 3-4 good signings at Chelsea. Wouldnt surprise me if Torres returns to form of old under Jose.  Utd weren't that impressive this year imo. City were poor, Arsenal were terrible for a few months and Chelsea were crap. Utd strolled home without a serious rival emerging.  All Utd's opponents were poor.

Fergie didnt 'see off' Mourinho as many people say. Abramovich messed up Chelsea who were steamrolling the premiership by buying duds and picking the team. The 2006/7 season was when Roman was interferring a lot and bought Shevchenko. Mourinho resigned when the interferring continued and got worse. It was self destruction on their own behalf. Utd improved a bit from the previous season and together with chelseas demise won the title again.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:35pm

Maybe so but Mourinho can do wonders even with an average group of players. All he needs is 3-4 good signings at Chelsea. Wouldnt surprise me if Torres returns to form of old under Jose.  Utd weren't that impressive this year imo. City were poor, Arsenal were terrible for a few months and Chelsea were crap. Utd strolled home without a serious rival emerging.  All Utd's opponents were poor.

Fergie didnt 'see off' Mourinho as many people say. Abramovich messed up Chelsea who were steamrolling the premiership by buying duds and picking the team. The 2006/7 season was when Roman was interferring a lot and bought Shevchenko. Mourinho resigned when the interferring continued and got worse. It was self destruction on their own behalf. Utd improved a bit from the previous season and together with chelseas demise won the title again.

Yet they still steamrollered their way to the title with one of their worst squads in living memory.... if that isn't a credit to Fergie's management, I don't know what is. They were on target to a record points total until they took their foot off the pedal having wrapped up the title.

While you can argue Fergie didn't "see off" Mourinho, he won the league the season before Mourinho left and Chelsea were not tearing up trees in 07-08 before he left (it was a 0-0 at home v Rosenberg that finished him off, iirc). It wasn't a resignation. Face may have been saved by calling it "mutual" but Abramovich wanted rid of him because of his abrasive personality.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:47pm
Like I said the 06/07 season for Chelsea was when Abramovich upset the applecart. Unfair to judge Mourinho on a season when the owner started being the part time manager. 07/08 the interferring continued and you could see how pissed off Jose was and it was obvious he was going to quit and he was right. 

Ferguson is a legend. Just because I say Mourinho is a better manager doesnt mean I think less of ferguson. While Mourinho doesnt play the most entertaining football, Ferguson doesnt have the same tactical nous and is frequently out thought at European level.  Fergusons intense work ethic and hunger drove on his sides. His ability to go seamlessly from one title winning side to another is probably the best achievement in english football. 

BTW I have to smile when people say Jose doesnt have the dignity and class to manage Utd. Sure Fergie is a bully and acts childishly and his behaviour at times is appalling.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:55pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1040469-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-scoring-the-battle-so-far/page/7

6-2 to Mourinho against Fergie thus reinforcing my point that Mourinho usually has the upperhand over old whiskey nose.

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:00pm
IF Wigan go down gotta be Martinez 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Aye, because if they stay up, they are clearly a better long term bet than Man Utd.........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by max max wrote:

Aye, because if they stay up, they are clearly a better long term bet than Man Utd.........

You know it
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:04pm
Off The Ball @OffTheBallNT 13m

Is it just speculation or is Alex Ferguson about to retire? Talking to @MiguelDelaney about it right now.

Off The Ball @OffTheBallNT 12m

There's camera crews gathering outside Old Trafford right now, apparently.

Off The Ball @OffTheBallNT 5m

Again, this could be just speculation at this point. In fact, we think it probably is. But there's a lot of talk going around.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:04pm
Lots of rumours that Ferguson is stepping down at the weekend....
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Some crazy posts on here in the last few hours.

its business as usual at ybig siralex Thumbs Up

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:32pm
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager

Only SKY BET and Bet Victor laying odds on Moyes. Everyone else watching and waiting, it would seem.

Only Bet Victor now. Must be an imminent announcement due

Edited by Stoked Up - 07 May 2013 at 10:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic