Print Page | Close Window

Mourhino to Utd: Should Fergie step step aside?

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Rest of The World
Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=44277
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mourhino to Utd: Should Fergie step step aside?
Posted By: t_rAndy
Subject: Mourhino to Utd: Should Fergie step step aside?
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:31am
With it looking like Mourhino will take over at Chelsea, surely that will block the chance if him moving to Utd when Fergie leaves. Mourhino appeared to be the perfect replacement for Fergie when Fergie decides to retire or move upstairs. So the question is, should Fergie already do this now for the greater good of the club and allow Utd to get their main replacement target?

Replies:
Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:34am
If I was United I would be eyeing Guardiola in a few years.  Great manager and we are only going to see what a great job he did at Barca over the next year or so.  All those people who said anybody could manage that club showed once again that they did not have a clue about the game. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:38am
United don't want the eye gouging gimp by all accounts

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:47am
I believe it's the last thing Bobby Charlton wants.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:01pm
Moyes cut to 1/2 to be new United manager!Shocked

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

2/1 still in stan james, no firm as short as 1/2 but two odds on, pep 20/1 surely worth a euro or two

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:17pm

Marketing stunt. If there was serious money in a market like this, Moyes would be 1/10 ( And serious in manager markets is about a 5er). But that wont stop Paddy Power being name checked all over the airwaves today. And no foubt theres plenty of odds against available.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Marketing stunt. If there was serious money in a market like this, Moyes would be 1/10 ( And serious in manager markets is about a 5er). But that wont stop Paddy Power being name checked all over the airwaves today. And no foubt theres plenty of odds against available.

been following this market for a few years, all firms have drastically cut moyes since the last time I checked it and pep and jose have drifted like mad

at mine min odds being offered are 4/7, 10/11, 6/4 and 2's

bookies on SSN often say one well known face with a £50 bet will affect the whole market based on past experiences of that person being in the know, albeit a bit harder with united as has been so long

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:38pm
Fergie should'nt and wont step a side. Dont think they will give the job to mourinho anyway. I agree with above that Guardiola is the main target for his replacement. I think fergie will keep going untill Guardiola's contract is up at Bayern in 3 years. By that stage Bayern could be Europe's best team by a distance

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:52pm
There is not a hope in hell Moyes would get the United job.

He has never won a trophy for a start. Don't get me wrong he is a good manager but until he starts winning trophies he will NEVER be considered.

And there's a big difference between being a good manager and being able to deliver a trophy.

Mourinho, Guardiala and Ancelotti would be 3 managers in with a shout at this present moment.

However as Fergie said himself he will be there for probably another 3 to 5 years.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

been following this market for a few years, all firms have drastically cut moyes since the last time I checked it and pep and jose have drifted like mad

at mine min odds being offered are 4/7, 10/11, 6/4 and 2's

bookies on SSN often say one well known face with a £50 bet will affect the whole market based on past experiences of that person being in the know, albeit a bit harder with united as has been so long

Ever heard of a bookies horseWink Dont take everything you see from a bookies at fave value

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:17pm
just reporting the odds kerrzy, never said anything more than what they are and their history!

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:24pm
Would rather United waited 3 years and brought in Pep. As for Moyes good manager but I feel the likes Everton, Spurs etc.. would be his level so that's an obvious no from me.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:35pm
was just chatting to mate of mine from manchester rumour over there is moyes will step down as everton manager at end of season and join utd as assistant manager

Posted By: mrs broonies bhoys
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Would rather United waited 3 years and brought in Pep. As for Moyes good manager but I feel the likes Everton, Spurs etc.. would be his level so that's an obvious no from me.
all the best managers in
the   world will be queuing up outside OT when fergie goes

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:52pm
I hear Moyes is being lined up for the Shamrock job over the summer

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He has never won a trophy for a start. Don't get me wrong he is a good manager but until he starts winning trophies he will NEVER be considered.

And there's a big difference between being a good manager and being able to deliver a trophy.

Mourinho, Guardiala and Ancelotti would be 3 managers in with a shout at this present moment.

However as Fergie said himself he will be there for probably another 3 to 5 years.

none of them would be in it for the long haul though, could only see any of them taking the job for a few years

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Posted By: reder
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:19pm

Two things, firstly I think Sir Alex desperately wants to win the CL again and he will stay on a few years to try and do that. Personally, I hope and think he will fail to do so. The current squad isn't good enough to win it.

As of now, Moyes hasn't got a chance in hell of getting the job due to his lack of silverware, I agree. Managing a club like Everton on a small budget, where finishing top 6 is considered an achievement, is a completely different beast than managing United where finishing 2nd is considered a failure.

Personally, I think Moyes will head off to Germany (Schalke) for a few seasons, adapt to European football and have a real bash at winning silverware before coming back and managing United. 

I think Mourhino and Chelsea are made for each other in terms of character and he will go there. If Liverpool could progress back to the top 4, he would fit in well there too.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by reder reder wrote:

Two things, firstly I think Sir Alex desperately wants to win the CL again and he will stay on a few years to try and do that. Personally, I hope and think he will fail to do so. The current squad isn't good enough to win it.

As of now, Moyes hasn't got a chance in hell of getting the job due to his lack of silverware, I agree. Managing a club like Everton on a small budget, where finishing top 6 is considered an achievement, is a completely different beast than managing United where finishing 2nd is considered a failure.

Personally, I think Moyes will head off to Germany (Schalke) for a few seasons, adapt to European football and have a real bash at winning silverware before coming back and managing United. 

I think Mourhino and Chelsea are made for each other in terms of character and he will go there. If Liverpool could progress back to the top 4, he would fit in well there too. I think BR might get the boot from Liverpool at the end of the season and Rafa could return.

Please let this happen the chap and Liverpool fans are made for each other. Clap 

He fúcked up Liverpool's best chance of winning the league in '09.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:26pm

I think Mourhino and Chelsea are made for each other in terms of character and he will go there. If Liverpool could progress back to the top 4, he would fit in well there too.
Spot on!

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:56pm

I think Mourhino and Chelsea are made for each other in terms of character and he will go there. If Liverpool could progress back to the top 4, he would fit in well there too. I think BR might get the boot from Liverpool at the end of the season and Rafa could return.

Please let this happen the chap and Liverpool fans are made for each other. Clap 

He fúcked up Liverpool's best chance of winning the league in '09.

I disagree with you 100%. No matter what Liverpool would have done, United would have just bettered it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:59pm
These are the FACTS!!

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:11pm
There isn't a hope in hell Brendan Rodgers will get sacked from Liverpool! 

In regard to Fergie retiring, when he does retire United may have to look for the likes of Moyes because the top managers in world football are always in a job. 

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:13pm
What are yis on about? Moyes been favourite for years and have always expected it would be him to take over, how can you possibly know their criteria for a new manager?

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

In regard to Fergie retiring, when he does retire United may have to look for the likes of Moyes because the top managers in world football are always in a job. 

Confused 

Yeah becuase there's no such thing as buying a manager out of his contract

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Confused 

Yeah becuase there's no such thing as buying a manager out of his contract

Read the post

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:19pm
I'd be absolutely shocked if moyes got it

United ain't looking for a short term manager that rules out plenty of people

Wouldn't surprise me if giggs got it

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Vivakenbarlow Vivakenbarlow wrote:

Why do you think Giggs would get it?

I would love to see him f**k United up

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:25pm
Why not?

He lives and breaths united and has done for decades

He's a winner and has observed first hand how to make such a huge club successful

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:28pm

Why not?

He's a winner and has observed first hand how to make such a huge club successful

Pretty much like Graeme Souness then ?

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:28pm
A look back at some former United players who went into management would be enough for the board not to make Giggs as manager.

It's too big a risk.

Whoever the next manager will be will have to have Ferguson's blessing.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Why not?

Pretty much like Graeme Souness then ?

And guardiola

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:30pm

Would be great if he did a Souness alright.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:31pm

A look back at some former United players who went into management would be enough for the board not to make Giggs as manager.

It's too big a risk.

Did any of them manage united?

You could argue for and against any possible manager

It's just my opinion I haven't a clue who it will be but I think it's funny how some people seem to think giggs hasn't a hope- the bookies think otherwise

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:33pm

Why do you think Giggs would get it?

I would love to see him f**k United up

I would rephrase that mate.

Who's wife would get it off Giggs if he replaced Fergie.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:40pm

It's too big a risk.

Did any of them manage united?

You could argue for and against any possible manager

It's just my opinion I haven't a clue who it will be but I think it's funny how some people seem to think giggs hasn't a hope- the bookies think otherwise

Just because he lives and breathes United doesn't make him qualified to manage the team.
Robson, Keane, Hughes were great United players that failed at management.

You say 'You could argue that against any possible manager' - I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Say for instance Mourinho got the job - he has a proven track record on delivering trophies with different teams and would be a safe appointment.

You could nearly be guaranteed that if Mourinho got the job that he would deliver silverware.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:45pm
For 2 or 3 years

Bobby Charlton didn't come out and say mourinho wouldn't get it for the good of his health

Charlton had a big say in fergie getting the job

You can trot out former players names all you like

None of them are giggs

Some former players make good managers some dont

Fergie knows better than anyone whether giggs could do it or not- time will tell

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:02pm
Mourinho is just a name I put out there as an example.

I would put my house on the fact that Giggs will not get the job.

United is a billion dollar business and the board are not going to hand that over to somebody with no experience no matter what player it is or was.

There is not a shred of evidence that Giggs could do the job either.

Also Fergie makes mistakes too!

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:06pm
Who do you think will get it?

Barcelona is a billion dollar business too

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:11pm
No idea! but it's too early to call it as Fergie won't step down for a number of years.

Guardialo could be a good shout if he does well with Bayern.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: The GerK
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:48pm
Not a hope in hell moyes or giggs will be next united manager.

Giggs maybe down the line alright

Posted By: Siralex
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:50pm
What we all know is; Ferguson doesn't like to talk about the subject. But any time he has been asked by journalists he has stated and confirmed on a few occasions that the man who follows him must have experience, big experience, European experience.

What we also know for a fact is that United have confirmed that Sir Alex will stay on at the club post retirement and will become a director at the club. He will have a huge say - possibly THE biggest say - on who will replace him.

Sir Bobby Charlton has no say - now acting in an ambassadorial role - on who will be the next United manager. I know he has gone on record as saying he 'doesn't see Mourinho here'....but he never ruled anything out, and really has no clue who it will be. 

Considering Fergie is likely to be retiring in the next three years, there are three obvious candidates for the job...1)Jose Mourinho, 2)Jurgen Klopp and 3)Pep Guardiola.

I would love it to be Mourinho, I think Mourinho wins big trophies everywhere he has gone and always gets to the latter stages in the Champions League. However, the fact that Ferguson seems very willing to welcome the Special One back to Chelsea this summer tells me that Mourinho is not the man he and Ed Woodward have in mind to replace him.

I tipped Jurgen Klopp for the Liverpool job here before Roy Hodsgon got it a few years ago and a few lads laughed at that, One Liverpool fan in particlular. It was obvious to me Klopp had something special in his second year at Borussia - and he will be considered a managerial great - I've never had any doubt about that. Ferguson seems like a big fan of Klopp and loves the way Borussia play. But I just don't see him coming to United - some other lucky club will pick him up before Fergie retires, though he does seem stern that he will not leave Borussia.

Pep Guardiola - not my favourite by any means - seems to be the man who will replace Fergie. I say this because he ticks all of the boxes Fergie has mentioned in the few times he spoke about his successor. He is of the perfect age too. He - definitely - met with Sir Alex just before Christmas in New York...a couple of weeks later, Guardiola spoke to a sport's journalist for the first time in 8 months and said "I will manage in the Premier League in the future". 24-hours later, Munich confirmed him - out of the blue - as their next manager. Guardiola was only too keen to say he would manage in teh Prem at some stage, just before he knew Bayern were announcing him as their gaffer. Always rang as strange to me that, especially considering Fergie met with him just before all of this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his path has already been laid out for him. Fergie has met him at least twice in the last 8 months....I would think three years at Munich before Fergie retires is all set in stone.

Thsi of course is all just my opinion looking at it as best I can.

But there are only three contenders to follow Fergie.

ANyone talking about Solskjaer/Neville/Giggs are talking through their hole. Are these the same people that would have wanted Hughes/Bruce/Robson to take over if Fergie had have stepped down a decade ago? 

It looks like Guardiola to me - the signs point in that direction!

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:55pm
Klopp would be the ideal candidate, he just had to get the CL part of his résumé filled in.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:07pm
great post Siralex

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:43pm
Yup, great post.

One point though - what if (and it's an unlikely if), Pep isn't spectacular at Bayern? Or, more to the point, what if he leaves after two or three years and needs more time off to recover from stress? He was always very edgy at Barcelona. I know he said it was a special kind of pressure, but the same pressure would be evident at Bayern and United. Would any massive club be prepared to take a risk on a manager who, although top notch, could only last two years before burning out or needing an extended break? Or what if he fails at Bayern? I know it is unlikely, but planning three years down the line in terms of managerial appointments would be a little unusual. I'd also be surprised if United made that mistake again, especially after they came so close to appointing Sven back in 2002.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:57pm
While Mourinho is a classless gimp Fergie is no angel either and his behaviour at times is shocking. And Utd are a corporation now so problems hiring the portuguese pisspot

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yup, great post.

One point though - what if (and it's an unlikely if), Pep isn't spectacular at Bayern? Or, more to the point, what if he leaves after two or three years and needs more time off to recover from stress? He was always very edgy at Barcelona. I know he said it was a special kind of pressure, but the same pressure would be evident at Bayern and United. Would any massive club be prepared to take a risk on a manager who, although top notch, could only last two years before burning out or needing an extended break? Or what if he fails at Bayern? I know it is unlikely, but planning three years down the line in terms of managerial appointments would be a little unusual. I'd also be surprised if United made that mistake again, especially after they came so close to appointing Sven back in 2002.

Thanks lads;

Well Dave - the reason I don't want Guardiola is for the reason you mentioned. He has always said he would only stay at one club for 3 years...that's not good enough for me. Now, I imagine Fergie has probably addressed that issue when talking to him, but....If he felt stress at Barca in turning them from underachievers in to the best team in the world, how would he feel living in the shadow of the greatest manager of all time?

But - in terms of looking to the future; it's very evident in all United teams over the past decade or two that Ferguson always has his eyes years down the line. Look at the squad he has right now....You can just see how it's going to blossom over the next few years. Always planning ahead. If Fergie plans that way with his teams, you can only imagine, he like everyone else, already has his man in mind for who follows him. It must be planned that way. If he hasn't planned for who he wants to succeed him, I'd be very surprised. I would think - I'd certainly like to think - that he knows when he's going and he knows who he wants to replace him.

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Siralex I do remember you slaughtering me verbally on here for saying that Guardiola should get it and that Jose should get it.  Surely he is the ultimate in the 3 year project. 

:) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

While Mourinho is a classless gimp Fergie is no angel either and his behaviour at times is shocking. And Utd are a corporation now so problems hiring the portuguese pisspot

how does the business structure affect who they hire?Confused

Guradiola 25/1 for anyone who wants it

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:08pm
Good to see SA back speaks a lot of sense

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

I would love it to be Mourinho

So would I Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:38am
Speaking to a chap who sits beside me at work this morning who was told by a Chelsea executive at the weekend that Mourinho signed a contract with Chelsea 10 weeks ago. Announcement to be made near end of season.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:11pm
The fact remains that no one knows how long fergie will go on. He may keep extending his retirement out into the future. If Guardiola is a flop at Bayern what then?? Mourinho is the man for the job but who knows if it will ever happen.

For the record if Mourinho takes the chelsea job (almost for certain now) I dont think Fergie will win another title. Mourinho always has outwitted Fergie. Thats assuming Roman keeps his nose out of the running of the team of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:14pm

The fact remains that no one knows how long fergie will go on. He may keep extending his retirement out into the future. If Guardiola is a flop at Bayern what then?? Mourinho is the man for the job but who knows if it will ever happen.

For the record if Mourinho takes the chelsea job (almost for certain now) I dont think Fergie will win another title. Mourinho always has outwitted Fergie. Thats assuming Roman keeps his nose out of the running of the team of course.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Jackthelad
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:15pm
I'd have to agree with Barlow, how can anyone doubt fergie at this stage.

-------------
Oh Poland we loved you.....

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:19pm
While he is a great manager Mourinho is far better tactically and always had the upperhand. The only reason UTD won in 2007 was Roman was buying duds like Shevchenko and trying to pick the team. If Mourinho had been left to his own devices Chelsea would have dominated for a few years after.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:23pm
What about the champions league in 2009?

That abrahmovichs fault aswel was it?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:26pm

2008 you mean?Confused

I dont recall Mourinho being manager do you?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:27pm

2008 you mean?Confused

I dont recall Mourinho being manager do you?

2009 champions league you mong, what happened there?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:34pm
yeah so what? Its not as if you have to have a 100% record against another manager to be dominant over them. Mourinho is a better manager. I dont let blind faith over a foreign team blind my judgement. Do you?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:39pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1525155-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-game-by-game-history-of-their-rivalry/page/1" rel="nofollow - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1525155-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-game-by-game-history-of-their-rivalry/page/1

It's not all Mourinho, but it's pretty close.

Then again, ignoring the time at Chelsea (when Mou had more money than he could shake a stick at, versus Fergie dealing with the worst debt levels of any club in the history of time ever), they've faced each other three times over two legs.... 2-1 Mourinho, but one of those took a dodgy offside call and a last minute goal, so it's close.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:40pm
Blind faith LOL

Im basing my view on an unbelievable league trophy winning record

Go back to setting up bogus profiles you mong you havent a clue

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:41pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1525155-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-game-by-game-history-of-their-rivalry/page/1" rel="nofollow - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1525155-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-game-by-game-history-of-their-rivalry/page/1

It's not all Mourinho, but it's pretty close.

Then again, ignoring the time at Chelsea (when Mou had more money than he could shake a stick at, versus Fergie dealing with the worst debt levels of any club in the history of time ever), they've faced each other three times over two legs.... 2-1 Mourinho, but one of those took a dodgy offside call and a last minute goal, so it's close.

good post.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:44pm

Blind faith LOL

Sure Ferguson has been managing for a lot longer so he obviously would have more trophies.

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Blind faith LOL

Sure Ferguson has been managing for a lot longer so he obviously would have more trophies.

Fair enough but to suggest fergie wouldnt win another league if mourinho returns is beyond ludicrous

-------------

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:46pm

Then again, ignoring the time at Chelsea (when Mou had more money than he could shake a stick at, versus Fergie dealing with the worst debt levels of any club in the history of time ever)

Absolutely fcuking hilarious post
Well done

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:50pm

Blind faith LOL

So the fact that I said something that suggests that Man Utd arent the greatest team in history with the greatest manager means I dont have a clueLOL

Just for the record I personally dont give a sh*t either way as I look at EPL as an observer. I dont follow any team which I have absolutely no connection with (thats every team in England) and find it strange that eejits like you get so worked up over 'their team' as to get all defensive as if I had called yer ma a slutEmbarrassed

I never said Fergie wasnt a great manager. Mourinho is a better tactician. His record will in time overshadow Fergies.  But I am sure this revelation will cause your blood pressure to rise in defense of your hero. Do you wear Man Utd. pyjamas aswell?  I bet you have all the Red Devil merchandise.

At the end of the day who gives a sh*t? I dont. 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:33pm
No need for the abusive name calling Ken

Attack the post, not the poster

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:45pm

While he is a great manager Mourinho is far better tactically and always had the upperhand. The only reason UTD won in 2007 was Roman was buying duds like Shevchenko and trying to pick the team. If Mourinho had been left to his own devices Chelsea would have dominated for a few years after.

Mourinho is a tactical dinosaur. Always has been. His results are 90% the effect of his man management.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Mourinho is a tactical dinosaur. Always has been. His results are 90% the effect of his man management.

Absolute nonsense. While his style of football is not the best to say he hasnt a very cute tactical brain is way off the mark.  If you are asking me which team would I rather watch a Fergie team or a Mourinho team I would rather watch Fergies team because its more attacking but Mourinho is a genius. Doesnt mean I like the dickhead.  Sure if it was all down to man management Mick McCarthy would be managing Barca now.

-------------

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No need for the abusive name calling Ken

Attack the post, not the poster

Was just about to post this, ridiculous overreaction from Barlow

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:16pm
Fair enough lads i went a bit ott there still a bit fooked after an extra long weekend!

-------------

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:18pm
I can't think of a manager less suited to United than Mourinho. From style of play to his desire to manage one club for a few years then move on to his general conduct as a manager he just doesn't suit the club at all. Hopefully Bobby Charlton gets his wish.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

I can't think of a manager less suited to United than Mourinho. From style of play to his desire to manage one club for a few years then move on to his general conduct as a manager he just doesn't suit the club at all. Hopefully Bobby Charlton gets his wish.

Couldnt agree more

Mourinho is a great manager but just wouldnt suit united imo

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Then again, ignoring the time at Chelsea (when Mou had more money than he could shake a stick at, versus Fergie dealing with the worst debt levels of any club in the history of time ever)

Absolutely fcuking hilarious post
Well done

Nice selective quoting.

And aside from the mockery, what is wrong with what I posted?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:59pm
Some crazy posts on here in the last few hours.

To call Mourinho a 'tactical dinosaur' is incredibly inaccurate. This is a man who studies, studies, studies opposition and who knows every player in Europe inside-out. He is immense at this. His man-management goes a long, long way in to making sure all of the players pull for him, but they pull for him in the direction he sets out by studying the opposition. Tactically, he has managed four different top teams, and used different systems with all of them...I don't know how anyone who watches football can not see that Mourinho gets it tactically right more often than not. He was the only manager in Europe to stop the machine that was Guardiola's Barcelona. I know Barca beat Real a few times, but they were also beaten in some big games by Mourinho's tactics and Mouirnho's tactics alone. Mourinho has beaten every manager in Europe tactically over the last few years - including Ferguson.

But to say Fergie won't win another title if Mourinho comes back is crazy talk. How many people over how many years have predicted Ferguson's downfall - and how many times has egg been splattered all over their faces? Surely people have to learn from this sort of nonsense. Mourinho did beat Fergie to two titles in 05 and 06; but let's not forget that Peter Kenyon deflected to Chelsea and brought with him United's plans over those two years. Chelsea snapped up all of United's planned transfers and offered them more money. Arjen Robben, Martja Kezman, Petr Cech, Michael Essien, Lassana Diarra among others were all expected to be signing for United in that period. United were left having to rush in second-class options such as Djemba and Klebersen. That's not any excuse, but it put United on the back-foot and Mouirnho came in and won titles with 90+ points. United didn't go backwards, they were still finishing with their 85-86-points or so, Chelsea just went way forwards. But after two years, Fergie rebuilt, regrouped and suddenly started to smash through the 90-point barrier with United himself. Mouirnho raised the bar in England - no doubt about it - but Fergie managed to raise it above him yet again.....as he does.

I would think Mourinho going to Chelsea will make it a three-horse race for titles over the next few years, but there is absolutely no reason to think Ferguson couldn't win more titles than Chelsea and City in that period. Throwing billions in to football clubs hasn't exactly put Fergie off winning titles....I wouldn't write him off achieving anything in the game to be honest. Writing him off is just crazy talk. 

As for Barow's comments...I don't know what to say without sounding like I'm personally having a go. Suffice to say, he is very sensitive when it comes to United, and I appreciate people backing or 'supporting' their team - I like that. But his sensitivity really does bring out some baffling and cringeworthy opinions on the game. I'd be certain he doesn't believe half of the opinions he has himself...he just has a sensitive quick reaction. It's the sort of stuff that give United fans a bad name.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:31pm
Well fergie has maybe 5 yrs left. Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mourinho will win the title 3 or 4 times in that space of time and Man City could nick another title too. Who would have thought its been nearly 10yrs since Arsenal won the title and this was a team that never lost a game in 03/04. Fergie will no doubt be Chelseas biggest rivals but if Mourinho is left to his own judgement and given the funds they will be incredibly hard to beat. Fergie might have 4-5 2nd place finishes in that time. Personally anytime fergie goes up against Mourunho I would back Mourinhos side to win most times.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:51pm

Well fergie has maybe 5 yrs left. Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Mourinho will win the title 3 or 4 times in that space of time and Man City could nick another title too. Who would have thought its been nearly 10yrs since Arsenal won the title and this was a team that never lost a game in 03/04. Fergie will no doubt be Chelseas biggest rivals but if Mourinho is left to his own judgement and given the funds they will be incredibly hard to beat. Fergie might have 4-5 2nd place finishes in that time. Personally anytime fergie goes up against Mourunho I would back Mourinhos side to win most times.

A lot has changed since he arrived in England. When he first went to Chelsea (nine years ago now), he signed Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Ricardo Carvalho, Didier Drogba, Paulo Ferreira and a few more for around £80m..... over half a team, more or less world class players, for the same price as Cristiano Ronaldo. He won't have the same cash to spend again, and for Chelsea to challenge they probably need a new striker, a new centre back (EBJT is reaching the end), a new centre mid (and maybe two, seeing as Lamps is off). They won't get the standard of players they need for the same price they got those players for in 2004, and Abramovich may not be willing to spend what is required, especially with FFP on the way.

-------------

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:13pm
rumour has it that fergie is to announce his retirement in the next few mins anyway, all tv channels setting up at old trafford

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:25pm

A lot has changed since he arrived in England. When he first went to Chelsea (nine years ago now), he signed Petr Cech, Arjen Robben, Ricardo Carvalho, Didier Drogba, Paulo Ferreira and a few more for around £80m..... over half a team, more or less world class players, for the same price as Cristiano Ronaldo. He won't have the same cash to spend again, and for Chelsea to challenge they probably need a new striker, a new centre back (EBJT is reaching the end), a new centre mid (and maybe two, seeing as Lamps is off). They won't get the standard of players they need for the same price they got those players for in 2004, and Abramovich may not be willing to spend what is required, especially with FFP on the way.

Maybe so but Mourinho can do wonders even with an average group of players. All he needs is 3-4 good signings at Chelsea. Wouldnt surprise me if Torres returns to form of old under Jose.  Utd weren't that impressive this year imo. City were poor, Arsenal were terrible for a few months and Chelsea were crap. Utd strolled home without a serious rival emerging.  All Utd's opponents were poor.

Fergie didnt 'see off' Mourinho as many people say. Abramovich messed up Chelsea who were steamrolling the premiership by buying duds and picking the team. The 2006/7 season was when Roman was interferring a lot and bought Shevchenko. Mourinho resigned when the interferring continued and got worse. It was self destruction on their own behalf. Utd improved a bit from the previous season and together with chelseas demise won the title again.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:35pm

Maybe so but Mourinho can do wonders even with an average group of players. All he needs is 3-4 good signings at Chelsea. Wouldnt surprise me if Torres returns to form of old under Jose.  Utd weren't that impressive this year imo. City were poor, Arsenal were terrible for a few months and Chelsea were crap. Utd strolled home without a serious rival emerging.  All Utd's opponents were poor.

Fergie didnt 'see off' Mourinho as many people say. Abramovich messed up Chelsea who were steamrolling the premiership by buying duds and picking the team. The 2006/7 season was when Roman was interferring a lot and bought Shevchenko. Mourinho resigned when the interferring continued and got worse. It was self destruction on their own behalf. Utd improved a bit from the previous season and together with chelseas demise won the title again.

Yet they still steamrollered their way to the title with one of their worst squads in living memory.... if that isn't a credit to Fergie's management, I don't know what is. They were on target to a record points total until they took their foot off the pedal having wrapped up the title.

While you can argue Fergie didn't "see off" Mourinho, he won the league the season before Mourinho left and Chelsea were not tearing up trees in 07-08 before he left (it was a 0-0 at home v Rosenberg that finished him off, iirc). It wasn't a resignation. Face may have been saved by calling it "mutual" but Abramovich wanted rid of him because of his abrasive personality.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:47pm
Like I said the 06/07 season for Chelsea was when Abramovich upset the applecart. Unfair to judge Mourinho on a season when the owner started being the part time manager. 07/08 the interferring continued and you could see how pissed off Jose was and it was obvious he was going to quit and he was right. 

Ferguson is a legend. Just because I say Mourinho is a better manager doesnt mean I think less of ferguson. While Mourinho doesnt play the most entertaining football, Ferguson doesnt have the same tactical nous and is frequently out thought at European level.  Fergusons intense work ethic and hunger drove on his sides. His ability to go seamlessly from one title winning side to another is probably the best achievement in english football. 

BTW I have to smile when people say Jose doesnt have the dignity and class to manage Utd. Sure Fergie is a bully and acts childishly and his behaviour at times is appalling.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:55pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1040469-jose-mourinho-vs-sir-alex-ferguson-scoring-the-battle-so-far/page/7

6-2 to Mourinho against Fergie thus reinforcing my point that Mourinho usually has the upperhand over old whiskey nose.

-------------

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:00pm
IF Wigan go down gotta be Martinez 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Aye, because if they stay up, they are clearly a better long term bet than Man Utd.........

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by max max wrote:

Aye, because if they stay up, they are clearly a better long term bet than Man Utd.........

You know it

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:04pm
https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT" rel="nofollow - - Off The Ball - @OffTheBallNT https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT/status/331873455676993536" rel="nofollow - Is it just speculation or is Alex Ferguson about to retire? Talking to https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney" rel="nofollow - @MiguelDelaney about it right now.

https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT" rel="nofollow - - Off The Ball - @OffTheBallNT https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT/status/331873867637325825" rel="nofollow - There's camera crews gathering outside Old Trafford right now, apparently.

https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT" rel="nofollow - - Off The Ball - @OffTheBallNT https://twitter.com/OffTheBallNT/status/331875665450266624" rel="nofollow - Again, this could be just speculation at this point. In fact, we think it probably is. But there's a lot of talk going around.

-------------

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:04pm
Lots of rumours that Ferguson is stepping down at the weekend....

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Some crazy posts on here in the last few hours.

its business as usual at ybig siralex Thumbs Up

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:32pm
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager" rel="nofollow - http://www.o http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager" rel="nofollow - ddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager

Only SKY BET and Bet Victor laying odds on Moyes. Everyone else watching and waiting, it would seem.

Only Bet Victor now. Must be an imminent announcement due

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:36pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10042798/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-considering-retiring-as-Manchester-United-manager-before-end-of-the-week.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10042798/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-considering-retiring-as-Manchester-United-manager-before-end-of-the-week.html

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:36pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10042798/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-considering-retiring-as-Manchester-United-manager-before-end-of-the-week.html

-------------

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:37pm
It was Mark Ogden that started the story. He's usually reliable enough.

Don't see it happening though. He'll never leave.

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:40pm
folk saying - Fergie out / mourinho & ronaldo in

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:40pm
The Guardian are running a bit on it now as well, although doesn't really say anything at all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/07/sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu" rel="nofollow - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/07/sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu

-------------

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:46pm
Odds on Mourinho tumbling. 
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager" rel="nofollow - http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/man-utd/next-permanent-manager

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:47pm
the only good outcome out of this is if Benitez gets to stay at Chelsea next season

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:48pm
have it from a mate in manchester that utd are to make big announcement at the weekend

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

the only good outcome out of this is if Benitez gets to stay at Chelsea next season
How did you come up with this?Confused

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

How did you come up with this?Confused

Mourinho goes to United, Ambramovich then decides install Benitez permanently as a result

I maybe should have put an emoticon with that post, it clearly lacked sarcastic effect

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net