You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:11pm
Plan to insulate the garage in the new year as the bar is baltic this time of the year. Don't really want to spend a fortune on it so thinking of using insulated plasterboard anyone any experience of using it or have an alternative to it that I could use

It's a block wall that I'm looking to insulate. Also plan to sort the roof also that is just a basic tin roof 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Plan to insulate the garage in the new year as the bar is baltic this time of the year. Don't really want to spend a fortune on it so thinking of using insulated plasterboard anyone any experience of using it or have an alternative to it that I could use

It's a block wall that I'm looking to insulate. Also plan to sort the roof also that is just a basic tin roof 

Yeah it’s great stuff,I insulated the front(inside 😊) of the house with it.i used a 75mm board but they go from 20mm of insulation upwards so be ready to lose that much inside of whatever depth you use.you’d put it up yourself it’s handy enough..just drill in the mushrooms to it and bang them into board then the wall.only thing is you’d need a plasterer to finish the job of.if it’s a block wall like you said then it’s really the only way to go as you can’t drill it and fill it with insulation balls.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
So have been looking into this a bit more last few days and wanting to know what everyone thinks is best approach to insulating this roof. As can see don't really have many joists in it which doesn't help

Have also measured the garage to get rough idea of what's needed to insulate walls etc and it's 24ft long x 16ft wide so not going to be as cheap a job as I expected LOL

the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:27pm
8x4 sheets of kingspan/xtratherm etc or spray on insulation another option. 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

8x4 sheets of kingspan/xtratherm etc or spray on insulation another option. 

You attach them straight to the felt? Going to look into cost of spraying it and see what works out best value. Insulated plasterboard for the walks then plan to put a brickwork wallpaper over it 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:56pm
A few rolls of rock wool and 8 by 4 sheets of cheap mdf should be a cheapish option too.
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm
Paid €25 per square metre for spray on icynene in the attic of my house at roof level this year. That's a full fill for 4 inch joists. Makes some difference, expands to fill the space, really clean, no vent card needed as it is breathable and is certified to current building regs. Icynene is the market leading product for spray insulation. 

The One down side is that the finish isn't totally flush like boards but it's a superior product and no cutting or mess. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Paid €25 per square metre for spray on icynene in the attic of my house at roof level this year. That's a full fill for 4 inch joists. Makes some difference, expands to fill the space, really clean, no vent card needed as it is breathable and is certified to current building regs. Icynene is the market leading product for spray insulation. 

The One down side is that the finish isn't totally flush like boards but it's a superior product and no cutting or mess. 
If he was to go down that route he could just tack up some sort of cloth like material to the joist to take the rough look off, knowing ringer it would be in the colours of the tricolor 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

If he was to go down that route he could just tack up some sort of cloth like material to the joist to take the rough look off, knowing ringer it would be in the colours of the tricolor 

Good idea that.

The way its ended up in my place its broadly even with lumps. Doesn't look bad per se, but then again it's an attic that's not converted to a room just used as limited storage.

It was more to benefit the entire house comfort than the attic itself. 
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:16pm
wedge them between timbers I’d say. Daithi’s suggestion would be more cost effective though
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Good idea that.

The way its ended up in my place its broadly even with lumps. Doesn't look bad per se, but then again it's an attic that's not converted to a room just used as limited storage.

It was more to benefit the entire house comfort than the attic itself. 
If ever you decide to do some thing with the attic Tom best bet and what most do is just get a handsaw and cut down along the joists to give the spray on stuff a smooth finish and the put up tongue n groove or other type of ceiling sheeting which you can handle yourself saving you a few quid rather than getting a carpenter to do it or the like.

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

wedge them between timbers I’d say. Daithi’s suggestion would be more cost effective though
Yes best bet is cut lengths of 2 by 1 to fit tightly between joists to hold what ver you choose to lag the roof with.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:28pm

Who did you use, Tom? Would you recommend them?
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Paid €25 per square metre for spray on icynene in the attic of my house at roof level this year. That's a full fill for 4 inch joists. Makes some difference, expands to fill the space, really clean, no vent card needed as it is breathable and is certified to current building regs. Icynene is the market leading product for spray insulation

recommend them? his post reads like an advertisement for them!!!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:21pm

Only a handful of suppliers in Ireland use icenyne. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:53pm
Nice one, Tom. Do you give YBIG discounts? Wink
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm

Nice one, Tom. Do you give YBIG discounts? Wink
defo not my line of work LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm
BSM I’m changing the colour of kitchen units, what paint should I use & do I need a primer on it? I’m going original cream unit to navy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic