You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ones that got away

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnanselbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:12am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Originally posted by finnanselbow finnanselbow wrote:

Paul Gascoigne

yeah he said on the late late he was qualifed,
beckham told my mates mother he was qualifed for ireland as well

Didn't Jack know him (Gazza) from time at Newcastle and try to call up him?
Sponsored Links

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 10:46am
Dieg O'Maradona?

Seriously.  It's all down to a player's personal choice whether he wants to turn out for us, whether they feel a strong enough affinity to Ireland to play.

Also bear in mind if you think the list of the ones that got away is long now;  It's not too far fetched to imagine in the not too distant future that there will be players born and raised in Ireland, who played all their football here and went up through the ranks of the under-aged Ireland teams, but in the end deciding to play for Poland, Nigeria etc.

We've benefited in the past from players who were born elsewhere, who have even played international football at junior levels for the country of their birth before declaring for Ireland.  So we can complain when the shoe's on the other foot.

Edited by newrynyuk - 08 Mar 2013 at 6:06pm
Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 1:21pm
my girlfriend is paddys grand daughter... I asked him about being able to play for Ireland and he told me at the time you had to play for the country of birth! he told me he envied shay brennan after him getting capped when the rules changed in the mid 60's after him being capped by Scotland...
IrwinClass View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 3:17pm
http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/double-caps.html

Examples there of players playing for different countries throughout the entire 20th century.

Citizenship was always the key.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 3:35pm
Danny Murphy
Jamie Carragher (family from Armagh)
I know Michael Owen had Celtic supporting family which may have meant a link.

There's obviously a few Scottish Celts we could have had,
Kevin Gallacher (his Granddad was Celtic legend Patsy Gallacher)
Stephen McManus
Charlie Mulgrew (Trap should have had him as Scotland didn't cap him in his first season back at Celtic)
Phil O'Donnell (RIP)
Simon Donnelly
John Kennedy
Jackie McNamara
While he's never said anything with a name like Micky (Michael) Quinn and coming from Liverpool the former Coventry, Newcastle and Pompey stricker on talksport has to have been Irish!   
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

my girlfriend is paddys grand daughter... I asked him about being able to play for Ireland and he told me at the time you had to play for the country of birth! he told me he envied shay brennan after him getting capped when the rules changed in the mid 60's after him being capped by Scotland...
I still believe he is wrong, he may have been ineligble because he had already played for Scotland underage or for some other reason and couldnt switch but I doubt it was 'because he was born in Scotland' in the 50's ? that he couldnt play for ireland
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 4:00pm
1.Wayne Rooney
2.Rio Ferdinand
3.Anton Ferdinand
4.Jamie O'Hara
5.Kevin Nolan
6.Kieran Richardson
7.Tim Cahill
8.Lucas Neill *
9.Lee Trundle
10.Landon Donovan
11.Darren Fletcher
12.Kevin Keegan
13.Steven Gerrard
14.Steve Bruce
15.Gareth Barry
16.James Milner
17.Paul Scholes
18.Micheal Packhurst
19.Alfredo di Stefano
20.John O'Brien (USA, used to play for Ajax)
21.Michael Keane
22.Jimmy Greaves
23.Martin Keown
24.Chris Armstrong
25.Kevin Gallen
26.Noel Whelan
27.Clint Dempsey
28.Kyle Naughton
29.Conor Dolye
30.Mark Noble
31.Richard Stearman
32.Gary Cahill
33.Zac Knight
34.Dave Kitson
35.Aaron Lennon
36.Ryan Bertrand
37.Martin Kelly
38.Gary McSheffrey
39.Martin O'Neill
40.Pat Jennings
41.Jackie Blanchflower
42.Neil Lennon
43.Corey Evans
44.Johnny Evans
45.George Best
46.Pat Nevin
47.Mal Donaghy
Anyone else people can think of
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 5:20pm
The NI lads like Lennon didn't really get away - convention at the time was clear.

Brian Labone always said he'd have likely to have played for us (his first wife was form the North Circular Road - would have been eligible under the "Paul Butler" clause) and Peter Reid said he would have played if asked before he got called up for England (massive Irish family).  Paul Power waited for a call up for years that never came.  His family are all from Waterford.

And you can be sure any Ward that played in the English or Scottish Leagues was eligible for Ireland - Mark Ward (now in jail but a fine footballer in his day, and confirmed Irish family in his book (travellers IIRC)), Ashley Ward, Peter Ward, Paul Ward, Gerry Ward all spring to mind.

Franny Jeffers was eligible but he told me to f off when I asked him if he was ever thinking of declaring before he got called up for England (he was at Rangers at the time and probably thought I was media looking to stir the sh1t).

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

I still believe he is wrong, he may have been ineligble because he had already played for Scotland underage or for some other reason and couldnt switch but I doubt it was 'because he was born in Scotland' in the 50's ? that he couldnt play for ireland
As far as I am aware that was the FIFA rule until 65. I am open to correction if somebody can prove differently. Many Celtic players of the period were interested but were ineligible. You could still switch country by living in it for a period of two years two.
BoboDub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoboDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:25pm
He wouldn't have been eligible to play for the IFA given their agreement not to pick players born in England, Wales or Scotland (this agreement lasted until very recently (maybe the Whitley in the late 90s were the first to break convention), which is why Kernaghan played for us).

Other UK and Commonwealth countries, and people born outside GB & NI, who got british passport were fair game though.  I think this is why Le Tissier player for England, Van Den Hauwe played for Wales etc.
IrwinClass View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrwinClass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by BoboDub BoboDub wrote:

The NI lads like Lennon didn't really get away - convention at the time was clear.

Brian Labone always said he'd have likely to have played for us (his first wife was form the North Circular Road - would have been eligible under the "Paul Butler" clause) and Peter Reid said he would have played if asked before he got called up for England (massive Irish family).  Paul Power waited for a call up for years that never came.  His family are all from Waterford.

And you can be sure any Ward that played in the English or Scottish Leagues was eligible for Ireland - Mark Ward (now in jail but a fine footballer in his day, and confirmed Irish family in his book (travellers IIRC)), Ashley Ward, Peter Ward, Paul Ward, Gerry Ward all spring to mind.

Franny Jeffers was eligible but he told me to f off when I asked him if he was ever thinking of declaring before he got called up for England (he was at Rangers at the time and probably thought I was media looking to stir the sh1t).

His adopted grandad was from dublin. Similar to Cascarino, although obviously without the subterfuge.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:59pm
Some Ulster Born Protestants on that list who would probably rather not play international football, if it meant playing with us!

The list is a farce.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Some Ulster Born Protestants on that list who would probably rather not play international football, if it meant playing with us!

The list is a farce.
LOL
It's a list of people who were eligable to play for Ireland. It's a hypothetical sceanrio.
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
Rory McIlroy.

Oh, wait a minute ............. OuchOuchOuch
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:09am
Steve Froggatt the ex Aston Villa winger
Brian Kilcline the ex Coventry centre back
Jamie Smith ex celtic winger
Ashley Ward ex Norwich striker
Jonjo Shelvey
James McPake
Vinnie Jones - think he had a grandparent
Joe McLaughlin ex Chelsea was going to play for Northern Ireland in 86 WC
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:11am
Peter Reid ex Everton........I know his brother Sean played U21s or B
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:55am
Andy Linighan and David Linighan (Arsenal & Ipswich the other)
Phil Whelan (Ipswich)
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 6:01am
I'm nearly sure Mike Phelan is one who could have also!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic