You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off The Ball team leave Newstalk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Early is a very good journalist but not a great commentator. 

Who does he write for? Can't stand him on the radio.

What do you mean.  Journalism is not just a written format. 

Incidently he does write for the Irish Examiner sometimes, but I meant he is a good journalist on off the ball. 

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Eoin McDevitt a spoofer?  Best presenter in my opinion. Massive blow for Newstalk.

Only an opinion. I do prefer Gilroy TBH. 

Have they resigned with immediate effect or will they be still on tonight? All 5 of them poached? Doesn't sound right. My money would be on them having a falling out over pay. Early has started writing in print media recently (not sure how long he has or if he always has...) so could be going that way?
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:13pm

Incidently he does write for the Irish Examiner sometimes, but I meant he is a good journalist on off the ball. 

You said he's a good journalist but not a good commentator, which implies he does something apart from the radio. If that's all he does I don't rate him at all as a journalist. He just reads out headlines and follows them up with random sarcastic comments in that annoying tone of his.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:14pm
No they wont be on tonight Gilroy, Joe Molloy, Dave McIntrye and Cian Murtagh are stepping in tonight. 

Lads from the weekend show.

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:17pm

You said he's a good journalist but not a good commentator, which implies he does something apart from the radio. If that's all he does I don't rate him at all as a journalist. He just reads out headlines and follows them up with random sarcastic comments in that annoying tone of his.

What he does on OFF the Ball is journalism. 

What he does on Newstalk Sunday is commentating. 

I do rate him on off the ball but I do not rate him on Newstalk Sunday as I do not think he has a tone for commentating.   I did not imply anything with my journalism comment. That is your understanding that is must write for a paper. 

If you think all he does, what he does on air you are sadly mistaken.  The whole football content of the show will be coming from him in production meetings.  He is the major football contributor to the show. 
AKA pedantic kunt
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:18pm
I doubt it's RTE they would be going to as there are enough sports journalists working there. Maybe Radio4 or Today FM.
Maybe the lads resigned without having anything lined up. Tried to call someones bluff and it didn't work! 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Gilroy is a bit on the pretentious side? Really gets on my tits for some reason. The show really came in to its own once McDevitt took over from him.

They'll surface somewhere in the not too distant future, hopefully in the same format Thumbs Up

It's too good not to.

I'd agree with that H2H. Gilroy is OK but I think that McDevitt does a great job in the anchor role and seems like a good skin at the same time.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:22pm

If you think all he does, what he does on air you are sadly mistaken.  The whole football content of the show will be coming from him in production meetings.  He is the major football contributor to the show. 

I'm sure he contributes and as the co-presenter organises the content (i.e. the topical football stories) but in my opinion he contributes very little in terms of good, insightful analysis.

Edited by Trapped - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:23pm
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I doubt it's RTE they would be going to as there are enough sports journalists working there. Maybe Radio4 or Today FM.
Maybe the lads resigned without having anything lined up. Tried to call someones bluff and it didn't work! 

Would be very interesting if they did as O Brien owns that too and it is in the same buildling as Newstalk. 
AKA pedantic kunt
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

I liked Early. McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy were nothing short of spoofers. Are the other backroom staff?

In what way do you think McDevitt comes across as a spoofer? It's an interesting viewpoint - to me he usually seems to me to have his homework done pretty thoroughly when talking to most of the contributors on the show.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm

I'm sure he contributes as the co-presenter gets the content ready (i.e. the topical football stories) but in my opinion he contributes very little in terms of good, insightful analysis.

In my opinion his stuff the other night comparing the Inter team on the pitch after the Champions League final to frog spawn was brilliant. 

His use of language and his articulation of points is excellent in my view.

But his best attribute is that he has an angle with most questions, rather than the bland stuff that is on sport at 7 or game on as it is called now.   He challenges the person he is interviewing and does not let them away with a bland answer.  The row between himself and Graham Hunter about Barca and  Plan B was great radio in my view.  

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:51pm
AKA pedantic kunt
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:29pm

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Would be very interesting if they did as O Brien owns that too and it is in the same buildling as Newstalk. 

Didn't realise that they share the same building...............

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:30pm
Yeah and 98fm also Marconi house just Near Break for the Border. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Great show ,big move to rte radio 1??

Would be a bit harsh on Damien O'Meara who just started "Game On" but you never know!

Damien O Meara is on 2fm not Radio 1. 

They moved the Sport at 7 show from Radio 1 and changed it to Game on on 2FM.

Listened to it a few times and to be honest it is so boring and banal.  Before the Polish game they had a Polish journalist on who could barely speak English (which is not his fault but it does not make for good radio) talking about the Polish team.   Totally dispiriting radio in my view.   Hopefully Mark Horgan and Eoin Mc Devitt are going to RTE to revamp the show. 

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:38pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:49pm
Yeah would imagine they're going to RTE or BBC, can't see them upping sticks without having something lined up.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

I liked Early. McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy were nothing short of spoofers. Are the other backroom staff?

In what way do you think McDevitt comes across as a spoofer? It's an interesting viewpoint - to me he usually seems to me to have his homework done pretty thoroughly when talking to most of the contributors on the show.

To me it comes across that his knowledge of some sports, particularly football, has always been artificial. Its not a bad thing I suppose, it shows he has done his research but in the role on OTB his opinion was always needed - unlike Bill on RTE.
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm
unless they have another deal lined up to start in the next few weeks this is bad business by the presenters,
i would imagine they will end up back on newstalk if a deal has not been done with RTE already, i really dont see it at RTE though 4 lads arriving in to an already bulging sports department, but we will see i suppose,
defo the best radio show available  for the last few years and had a huge amount of non sports fans as listeners.

a fella who knows things did also suggest that there is the posibiltiy of a new Sports only radio station being lauched, think some head john at newstalk who left a few months back is setting is up!!!
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:47pm

To me it comes across that his knowledge of some sports, particularly football, has always been artificial. Its not a bad thing I suppose, it shows he has done his research but in the role on OTB his opinion was always needed - unlike Bill on RTE.

I've known Eoin since we were kids and I can assure there is nothing "artificial" about his football knowledge. He's a massive fan and would of played about 10 hours a day as a kid and followed football religiously like most posters on here. You can hear how much the likes of Johnny Giles enjoy talking to him on the show. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic