Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43459
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Off The Ball team leave Newstalk
Posted By: heighway2heaven
Subject: Off The Ball team leave Newstalk
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:16pm
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-818471-Mar2013/?utm_source=twitter_self" rel="nofollow - http://thescore.thejournal.ie/off-the-ball-818471-Mar2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Replies:
Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:22pm

Very strange one. I wonder if another station has poached them.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:28pm
I liked Early. McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy were nothing short of spoofers. Are the other backroom staff?

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:32pm
That's interesting alright. Will miss Ken Earley and his legendary commentating even though he wasn't great. Best sports show on radio all the same! Be interesting to see what Ger Gilroy does with it!

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:36pm
Great show ,big move to rte radio 1??

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Would be a bit harsh on Damien O'Meara who just started "Game On" but you never know!

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:41pm
Eoin McDevitt a spoofer?  Best presenter in my opinion. Massive blow for Newstalk.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:46pm
TV maybe, I could see Mcdevitt replacing bill, I'd regard Mcdevitt, sadlier and Cunningham as a future A panel, Darragh Maloney will always be the b panel to me

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:47pm
McDevitt is good but so is Ger Gilroy who's taking his place. Ken Early's voice is painful to listen to, the chap wrecks my head.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:53pm

They come as a package as they all went to college together and that is why the chemistry on the show was so good. 

Mc Devitt is excellent and has a huge career ahead of him in my view.  Early is a very good journalist but not a great commentator. 

The biggest lost to newstalk will be the producer Mark Horgan who is Shane Horgans (the rugby)  brother.

They must be going to RTE or possibly the BBC

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:56pm
Did not see this coming Shocked

Usually find it hard to listen to Off The Ball regularly as I used to with training on most nights (not a podcast person by any means) but still thought it was an excellent show.

Gilroy is a very good presenter imo but wonder will show be as good from now on

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:02pm
Just read Dave McIntyre will be involved in the new line-up

Thats it well and truly f**ked now, can't stand him at all

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:03pm
Real shame as it's a great show

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:03pm
Am I the only one who thinks Gilroy is a bit on the pretentious side? Really gets on my tits for some reason. The show really came in to its own once McDevitt took over from him.

They'll surface somewhere in the not too distant future, hopefully in the same format Thumbs Up

It's too good not to.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Early is a very good journalist but not a great commentator. 

Who does he write for? Can't stand him on the radio.

Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Gilroy is a very good presenter imo but wonder will show be as good from now on

He started the show and was the main man until they moved him into more peak time slots so I'm sure it will be as good, if not better.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:05pm
There is no doubt in my mind that they are going somewhere else.  No way would they all resign in mass if they did not have something lined up. 

They are going somewhere else as a package and I am sure that they will put on the same show on another station. 

Gilroy was always going to step in as he is theor boss and is the Sports Editor of the Station. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:06pm
Probably that new RTE sports show on 2fm

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:08pm
Apparently they made requests for show to start an hour earlier and other stuff but were rejected

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/entire-newstalks-off-the-ball-team-resigns-29107988.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/entire-newstalks-off-the-ball-team-resigns-29107988.html

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

What do you mean.  Journalism is not just a written format. 

Incidently he does write for the Irish Examiner sometimes, but I meant he is a good journalist on off the ball. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Eoin McDevitt a spoofer?  Best presenter in my opinion. Massive blow for Newstalk.

Only an opinion. I do prefer Gilroy TBH. 

Have they resigned with immediate effect or will they be still on tonight? All 5 of them poached? Doesn't sound right. My money would be on them having a falling out over pay. Early has started writing in print media recently (not sure how long he has or if he always has...) so could be going that way?

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:13pm

Incidently he does write for the Irish Examiner sometimes, but I meant he is a good journalist on off the ball. 

You said he's a good journalist but not a good commentator, which implies he does something apart from the radio. If that's all he does I don't rate him at all as a journalist. He just reads out headlines and follows them up with random sarcastic comments in that annoying tone of his.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:14pm
No they wont be on tonight Gilroy, Joe Molloy, Dave McIntrye and Cian Murtagh are stepping in tonight. 

Lads from the weekend show.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:17pm

You said he's a good journalist but not a good commentator, which implies he does something apart from the radio. If that's all he does I don't rate him at all as a journalist. He just reads out headlines and follows them up with random sarcastic comments in that annoying tone of his.

What he does on OFF the Ball is journalism. 

What he does on Newstalk Sunday is commentating. 

I do rate him on off the ball but I do not rate him on Newstalk Sunday as I do not think he has a tone for commentating.   I did not imply anything with my journalism comment. That is your understanding that is must write for a paper. 

If you think all he does, what he does on air you are sadly mistaken.  The whole football content of the show will be coming from him in production meetings.  He is the major football contributor to the show. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:18pm
I doubt it's RTE they would be going to as there are enough sports journalists working there. Maybe Radio4 or Today FM.
Maybe the lads resigned without having anything lined up. Tried to call someones bluff and it didn't work! 

-------------

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Gilroy is a bit on the pretentious side? Really gets on my tits for some reason. The show really came in to its own once McDevitt took over from him.

They'll surface somewhere in the not too distant future, hopefully in the same format Thumbs Up

It's too good not to.

I'd agree with that H2H. Gilroy is OK but I think that McDevitt does a great job in the anchor role and seems like a good skin at the same time.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:22pm

If you think all he does, what he does on air you are sadly mistaken.  The whole football content of the show will be coming from him in production meetings.  He is the major football contributor to the show. 

I'm sure he contributes and as the co-presenter organises the content (i.e. the topical football stories) but in my opinion he contributes very little in terms of good, insightful analysis.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I doubt it's RTE they would be going to as there are enough sports journalists working there. Maybe Radio4 or Today FM.
Maybe the lads resigned without having anything lined up. Tried to call someones bluff and it didn't work! 

Would be very interesting if they did as O Brien owns that too and it is in the same buildling as Newstalk. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

I liked Early. McDevitt and Ciaran Murphy were nothing short of spoofers. Are the other backroom staff?

In what way do you think McDevitt comes across as a spoofer? It's an interesting viewpoint - to me he usually seems to me to have his homework done pretty thoroughly when talking to most of the contributors on the show.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm

I'm sure he contributes as the co-presenter gets the content ready (i.e. the topical football stories) but in my opinion he contributes very little in terms of good, insightful analysis.

In my opinion his stuff the other night comparing the Inter team on the pitch after the Champions League final to frog spawn was brilliant. 

His use of language and his articulation of points is excellent in my view.

But his best attribute is that he has an angle with most questions, rather than the bland stuff that is on sport at 7 or game on as it is called now.   He challenges the person he is interviewing and does not let them away with a bland answer.  The row between himself and Graham Hunter about Barca and  Plan B was great radio in my view.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:29pm

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Would be very interesting if they did as O Brien owns that too and it is in the same buildling as Newstalk. 

Didn't realise that they share the same building...............

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:30pm
Yeah and 98fm also Marconi house just Near Break for the Border. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Would be a bit harsh on Damien O'Meara who just started "Game On" but you never know!

Damien O Meara is on 2fm not Radio 1. 

They moved the Sport at 7 show from Radio 1 and changed it to Game on on 2FM.

Listened to it a few times and to be honest it is so boring and banal.  Before the Polish game they had a Polish journalist on who could barely speak English (which is not his fault but it does not make for good radio) talking about the Polish team.   Totally dispiriting radio in my view.   Hopefully Mark Horgan and Eoin Mc Devitt are going to RTE to revamp the show. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:49pm
Yeah would imagine they're going to RTE or BBC, can't see them upping sticks without having something lined up.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

In what way do you think McDevitt comes across as a spoofer? It's an interesting viewpoint - to me he usually seems to me to have his homework done pretty thoroughly when talking to most of the contributors on the show.

To me it comes across that his knowledge of some sports, particularly football, has always been artificial. Its not a bad thing I suppose, it shows he has done his research but in the role on OTB his opinion was always needed - unlike Bill on RTE.

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm
unless they have another deal lined up to start in the next few weeks this is bad business by the presenters,
i would imagine they will end up back on newstalk if a deal has not been done with RTE already, i really dont see it at RTE though 4 lads arriving in to an already bulging sports department, but we will see i suppose,
defo the best radio show available  for the last few years and had a huge amount of non sports fans as listeners.

a fella who knows things did also suggest that there is the posibiltiy of a new Sports only radio station being lauched, think some head john at newstalk who left a few months back is setting is up!!!

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:47pm

To me it comes across that his knowledge of some sports, particularly football, has always been artificial. Its not a bad thing I suppose, it shows he has done his research but in the role on OTB his opinion was always needed - unlike Bill on RTE.

I've known Eoin since we were kids and I can assure there is nothing "artificial" about his football knowledge. He's a massive fan and would of played about 10 hours a day as a kid and followed football religiously like most posters on here. You can hear how much the likes of Johnny Giles enjoy talking to him on the show. 

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:50pm

They come as a package as they all went to college together and that is why the chemistry on the show was so good. 

Mc Devitt is excellent and has a huge career ahead of him in my view.  Early is a very good journalist but not a great commentator. 

The biggest lost to newstalk will be the producer Mark Horgan who is Shane Horgans (the rugby)  brother.

They must be going to RTE or possibly the BBC

Yeah,Newstalk have really messed up here.The best radio show ive ever heard (sports or otherwise)

All my mates abroad listen on the pod cast or live for a taste of home,good craic and the sport.

Big shame.

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

unless they have another deal lined up to start in the next few weeks this is bad business by the presenters,
i would imagine they will end up back on newstalk if a deal has not been done with RTE already, i really dont see it at RTE though 4 lads arriving in to an already bulging sports department, but we will see i suppose,

defo the best radio show available  for the last few years and had a huge amount of non sports fans as listeners.

a fella who knows things did also suggest that there is the posibiltiy of a new Sports only radio station being lauched, think some head john at newstalk who left a few months back is setting is up!!!

They won't be on anything for about 3 months. Happens all the time when radio presenters move to a new station. Colm and Jim Jim were off for a good while between fm104 and 2fm. Ray Foley was the same moving between today and 98.

Can't see them going to 2fm either. New show has only been on 3 weks after moving it from a half hour slot to an hour from radio 1 to 2fm and as has been pointed out already Rte has a buldging sports dept without adding another 4 people.

I'd say Today fm want them to go up against game on or Sunday sport.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

They won't be on anything for about 3 months. Happens all the time when radio presenters move to a new station. Colm and Jim Jim were off for a good while between fm104 and 2fm. Ray Foley was the same moving between today and 98.

Can't see them going to 2fm either. New show has only been on 3 weks after moving it from a half hour slot to an hour from radio 1 to 2fm and as has been pointed out already Rte has a buldging sports dept without adding another 4 people.

Today fm and Newstalk are all the same.
nice did dig by Gilroy are the start of tonights show !!!

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:06pm
I did not read that as a dig I must say. He gave them loads of compliments.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:07pm
The Show Must Go On apparently

-------------

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:11pm

Not quite. Same owner but different dg's. And I think its an NUJ thing about being off air.

Happened Foley on his move and today and 98 are the same group along with newstalk

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:11pm

before the news, the intro

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:14pm
What did he say.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:14pm

before the news, the intro

What he say?

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:18pm

What did he say.

"Sport can be cruel, you dont always see whats coming, you cant pick when it ends...............we will talk to keith wood about ronan o gara"

Posted By: bis en die
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:19pm
In effect they're on gardening leave as they gave eight weeks notice but NT told them to go immediately so not going anywhere. Rumour has it they were being represented by a sports management agency who were negotiating on their behalf and went too far

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:20pm
An Off the Ball incident occured!Shocked

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Reckon Deise is going to be a happy man.  Much more golf on the show now :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Shedite
Just talking to my RTE insider - nothing to do with them. They are as shocked as the rest of us.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:21pm
wonder if the lads will make a statement or clarify their position

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:26pm
Should also be remembered that Ger Gilroy was the original presenter and person behind Off the Ball. He is also the Sports Editor at Newstalk so was in fact their boss.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:29pm
It looks like they've been shafted anyway.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:32pm
Will all come out in the wash shortly. All very strange. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:39pm

the more i listen to Gilroy tonight i think they had there bluff called to be honest, big wage package for 5 lads for anyone to take on

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:41pm
What you reckon they are on.  Reckon about 60,000 a year on average so 300,000 in total.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:42pm
The way the lads dress you'd swear they are on unpaid internships. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:45pm
ha ha you hardly want them in suits McG.  the jeans and t shirts is the look for a hip sports journalist. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:47pm
Wouldnt hurt to have a pair of clean threads. 
Look like the lads from the young ones 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:51pm
Jaysus never knew radio was a fashion shoot.  Too much shallow materialism in todays culture. Who gives a sh*t what another man wears, its probably the least interesting thing about another guy.  Fair enough in the opposite sex but I could not give a sh*t what my mates or the lads I listen to on the radio wear.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:54pm
Calm down Baldrick, this all stemmed from a guess as to what they earned and a bit of craic. We dont need you to dissect societys thoughts on fashion. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:55pm

What you reckon they are on.  Reckon about 60,000 a year on average so 300,000 in total.  

ya about that id say, wonder what will happen to ken early with the exmainer now, 

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:56pm

Calm down Baldrick, this all stemmed from a guess as to what they earned and a bit of craic. We dont need you to dissect societys thoughts on fashion. 

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:57pm

We should always be dissecting society.  Wink

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:03pm
Amount of gimps on twitter whinging.  You would swear the show was cancelled or something.  It is still on and it is still covering sport in an intelligent non trashy gimmicky away.  Whether they can retain the humour and irreverent way the other lads dealt with sport will be hard to tell. My understanding is that a lot of that stemmed from the producer Mark Horgan. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm

Not quite. Same owner but different dg's. And I think its an NUJ thing about being off air.

Happened Foley on his move and today and 98 are the same group along with newstalk

Foley stayed on air for a month after he announced he was leaving and was on 98fm 2 weeks after, prob had a holiday and a week prep on the new show.
Would be surprised if they ended up on today fm if they left newstalk with bad blood. Theyshare the same news department and all

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

It looks like they've been shafted anyway.

Do tell..

-------------

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm

Amount of gimps on twitter whinging.  You would swear the show was cancelled or something.  It is still on and it is still covering sport in an intelligent non trashy gimmicky away.  Whether they can retain the humour and irreverent way the other lads dealt with sport will be hard to tell. My understanding is that a lot of that stemmed from the producer Mark Horgan. 
Oh do go on...

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:20pm
what do you want to know 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
Gilroy quote

First things, first. We didn’t really expect to be here tonight, but we are.

That’s because the lads have made a pitch to start the show every night at six o’clock. Station management couldn’t accommodate that and the lads have decided to resign.

All that I really want to say about this now is that we’re going to miss our friends. Ken, Eoin, Mark, Simon and Murph are an amazing group of people with. They’ve helped change how sport is talked about in Ireland forever. They make great radio and they helped make radio great.

We’re all going to miss them and we wish them all the very best of luck in the future.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:26pm

what do you want to know 
Don't be a tease, spill it

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

what do you want to know 

Nothing to spill other than as producer of the show it his job to design the show and be in charge of stings and use of music and audio etc and the humour etc.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm

what do you want to know 

Nothing to spill other than as producer of the show it his job to design the show and be in charge of stings and use of music and audio etc and the humour etc.
Oh right, I thought you meant the row...

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:36pm
Very disappointing, it had an appeal to even non sports fans.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

whats to say it still won't

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:38pm

its just a matter of time until Baldrick is in the hot seat on Off the Ball

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:39pm

what do you want to know 

Oh right, I thought you meant the row...

You should have read my original post properly so as I never suggested that I was talking about a so called row :) 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:41pm

Chemistry. Or lack of, more like.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:45pm

It might still, but three good characters that worked well together, hard to get which us evident from the disappointment about them leaving.

Thumbs Up

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

It might still, but three good characters that worked well together, hard to get which us evident from the disappointment about them leaving.

I would say 4 to be honest.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:49pm

Ken Burley - gone
Joe Duffy and Vincent Browne segment - gone
Murph's Country Pages - gone
Challenge Murph - gone
Administrator of the Week - gone
Good Clean Fun with Pat Kenny - gone
Pitch and Putt corner - gone
Stephen Roche Wax Head Watch - gone
Cheesy music on the football show - gone
Ken's references to Proust - gone
Gangsta GAA - gone
"Alright Eoin" - gone

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:53pm
There is no doubt that element to the show the humour and the stings and irreverent take on things is going to be hard to replace but I have no doubt that Gilroy, Molloy and McIntyre are all good journalists with a good eye for a good story and angle.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:54pm

Ken Burley - gone
Challenge Murph - gone
Gangsta GAA - gone
"Alright Eoin" - gone

Clap

And a few more too..Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:56pm

IBRA HAM OVICH

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm
Hopefully the John Giles slit is gone too, getting very dated at this stage.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:05pm
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/off-the-ball-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=1196362&AFF_ID=3409" rel="nofollow - http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/off-the-ball-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=1196362&AFF_ID=3409

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm
Must say I'm hugely disappointed .. Chemistry like
that is very hard to create. Gilroy is good but Dave McIntyre,
though informed and genuine, is a but annoying. Certainly when he is
on George Hook on a Friday.

Don't want to turn this into football fan with a chip on the shoulder thing
but there's no doubt gilroy is a rugby and GAA head these days and
can be very cynical on football. McIntyre is definitely more into rugby.
Good luck to them and they are of course entitled to be more into whatever
sports they want but it will effect the quality of football coverage.
The old gang were mad into their football especially Eoin and Ken and
Pursued intelligent lines of question regularly.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:25pm

Ken Burley - gone
Challenge Murph - gone
Gangsta GAA - gone
"Alright Eoin" - gone

Sums it up well for me,sad day
A producer,no matter how good he is can create the same chemistry.
Listening to the whole show tonight,sounds like a good sports programe.
Not the usual craic.I know they're probably all a bit in shock on the show tonight and its all a bit subdued.I expect it will improve over the next while but will never be as good imo.

OFB was imo the best radio show ive listened to.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:30pm
To be fair to the lads tonight they would have had to the show on the fly with no production meeting and no prep work etc. 

It would have been false to do all the bits of humour that Horgan and the lads brought to the other show. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: whitesideOnside
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:42pm
The lads on tonight are fine, doing a decent show under
the circumstances. They may well go on to produce a very
entertaining, informative show in time.
But sometimes, like for instance Scrap Saturday, a chemistry
of people, time and place come together to create something
special and it not easy to recreate again, especially when the
Producer has gone too.
It won't be easy for the lads who've left to recreate it elsewhere
either. Like relationships, once you break the bond of trust it is very
hard to put back together. In this case the bond with the loyal listeners
has been broken and was a huge part of it.

Posted By: finnanselbow
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:45pm
Great show, will be a big loss to the airwaves, except for that clown Murph

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm
What is very interesting. 

Contributors tonight

Wood

O Sullivan

Taylor

Robson

Nevin. 

All used on the Newstalk Sat and Sunday show. 

They did not use the same contributors the lads would have had lined up.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Gilroy quote

First things, first. We didn’t really expect to be here tonight, but we are.

That’s because the lads have made a pitch to start the show every night at six o’clock. Station management couldn’t accommodate that and the lads have decided to resign.

All that I really want to say about this now is that we’re going to miss our friends. Ken, Eoin, Mark, Simon and Murph are an amazing group of people with. They’ve helped change how sport is talked about in Ireland forever. They make great radio and they helped make radio great.

We’re all going to miss them and we wish them all the very best of luck in the future.
Interesting

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:56pm
Pat Nevin and Eddie O'Sullivan have been on regularly on off the ball.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:58pm
Never said they werent, but every single one of their contributors tonight are regulars on the Sat and Sunday show. 

They did not have anyone on tonight who is not on the Sat or Sunday show and tonights show was produced and presented by the Sat and Sunday team.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 9:58pm

Contributors tonight

Wood

O Sullivan

Taylor

Robson

Nevin. 

Nevin is a show staple as is Wood. O'Sullivan has also been used incresingly in recent times. Shane Horgan conspicuous by his absence however and non-regulars were used for GAA. Sid Lowe also absent from his regular Monday slot.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by finnanselbow finnanselbow wrote:

Great show, will be a big loss to the airwaves, except for that clown Murph

Pretty much the only poster to say anything negative about Murph.
Likeable guy,people either loved or hated Ken.I used to dislike him but found myself agreeing with him most of the time.Very clever guy too.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm

Contributors tonight

Wood

O Sullivan

Taylor

Robson

Nevin. 

Nevin is a show staple as is Wood. O'Sullivan has also been used incresingly in recent times. Shane Horgan conspicuous by his absence however and non-regulars were used for GAA. Sid Lowe also absent from his regular Monday slot.

You are missing the point. They did not use anyone that is not used on a Saturday or Sunday and it was the Sat and Sunday team on tonight.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:07pm
Well you did say that tonight they used pundits that the old team would not have used tonight, when in fact they have used the same pundits quite regularly.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net