You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off The Ball team leave Newstalk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terrible move. They leave a 5 day a week show froom 7-10pm because they want more air time and end up on a podcast ffs. What were they thinking??!

Who knows? IT probably paying them a decent sum, all the same. I mean, they may be getting as much from the IT as they were from Newstalk.

Yes but I thought the reason they left was wanting more airtime not money. A one day a week podcast is a disaster for them. No one will listen to it.

Not so sure.... look at the following the football ramble and football weekly have, even here. A local podcast will definitely get a decent following. I know I'll subscribe.

378,000 listeners is the highest recorded amount any Football Weekly Pod has gotten. That's a pretty big audience.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:52pm

Terrible move. They leave a 5 day a week show froom 7-10pm because they want more air time and end up on a podcast ffs. What were they thinking??!

Who knows? IT probably paying them a decent sum, all the same. I mean, they may be getting as much from the IT as they were from Newstalk.

Yes but I thought the reason they left was wanting more airtime not money. A one day a week podcast is a disaster for them. No one will listen to it.

I would be surprised  if they are getting more than 200 a man per week for  1 hours airtime. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Not so sure.... look at the following the football ramble and football weekly have, even here. A local podcast will definitely get a decent following. I know I'll subscribe.

378,000 listeners is the highest recorded amount any Football Weekly Pod has gotten. That's a pretty big audience.

so say 400,000 out of a population of 60 million.  The equivalent in Ireland would be 30,000 which is probably about right as its 75 per cent of what they were getting on Newstalk. 

AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:07pm

Podcasts are a hassle to listen to though, and people forget about them. I like the Guardian Football Weekly but I've only started listening to it this season in the last few weeks. You just forget to listen to these type of things, they slip your mind. There may only be a couple of presses of buttons of a difference in terms of accessing them, but it makes all the difference.  
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:08pm
I just subscribe and it automatically downloads the 20 or so podcasts I have subscribed to. Listen to them in the car or gym or train or cooking dinner.

Edited by Baldrick - 07 May 2013 at 11:09pm
AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I just subscribe and it automatically downloads the 20 or so podcasts I have subscribed to. Listen to them in the car or gym or train or cooking dinner.
I seriously doubt you listen to more than a few of those 20 podcasts. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:51pm
Listen to them all

Mark Kermode Film Review Show
Desert Island Disks
Pat Kenny
Football Weekly
Newstalk Off the Ball football
2FM Game On
Sports Week
Tonys Team Talk
5 Live Sport Specials
European Football Show
Then some of Marian Finucane and Ryan Tubridy and Dave Fanning if there is anything interesting and the same with the Late Debate on RTE Radio 1 and possibly Morning Ireland.
Thats just for starters, would get through all of them during the week

Edited by Baldrick - 07 May 2013 at 11:52pm
AKA pedantic kunt
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:09am
i am a podcast fan and will deffo listen to this but it is still an utter disaster for them , the live elemnt to the show is the key , eejits texting in and pundits calling in and discussions about real-time events,

they need a live radio show , denis o brien has destroyed their careers and they let him do it with their posturing

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i am a podcast fan and will deffo listen to this but it is still an utter disaster for them , the live elemnt to the show is the key , eejits texting in and pundits calling in and discussions about real-time events,

they need a live radio show , denis o brien has destroyed their careers and they let him do it with their posturing

I agree with you here - nothing beats live radio and the callers e.t.c are what makes the shows - a la Howard Stern style -

Right now I presume they are maintaining a presence in the media eye but live radio must be their ultimate goal.

Radio is a tough business in ireland - RTE is the place for the lads -
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 10:13am
It was nice of Alex Ferguson to give them something to talk about on their first podcast.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 5:56pm
where exactly can u access their podcast and when exactly does it start?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

www.irishtimes.com

This month
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:12pm

www.irishtimes.com

This month

i was on the site and read the article but it just says - tuesdays @ irishtimes.com - nothing more -

I read on the forum that the paper is rubbish at promoting podcasts -

some details would be handy.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:20pm

If only they'd give us a clue...

i was on the site and read the article but it just says - tuesdays @ irishtimes.com - nothing more -

I read on the forum that the paper is rubbish at promoting podcasts -

some details would be handy.

Tongue

Irish Times are brutal at the online side of things.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:18pm
Jaysus u would imagine its in their interest to get behind their new product and at least make it user friendly. The guardian have a good set up in fairness.

Edited by Andkend - 09 May 2013 at 7:20am
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 11:28pm
Ken Early doing the paper preview on Vinny Browne.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 12:01am
Browne to Early "ferguson threw a hairdyer I think at David Beckham, is that right?"
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:15pm
Dan McDonnell stepping into the Ken Early role it would seem on the football show every night. Thought the football show had gone to sh*te since Second Captains left TBH. Should be an improvement. He has a deep enough football knowledge. Dont know if it will mean a bit more LOI coverage.

EDIT: Not an Early role. More of a side analyst

Edited by Kerrzy - 19 Aug 2013 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic