You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padraig Nally

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Thanked ya by accident there but both acts themselves are shocking. nobody can deny that but Nally obviously wasn't in a sound state of mind. I think the other case was shocking to the public in how calculating the two sisters were doing it without remorse.They knew what they were doing. Thats my understanding of it.
What makes the Nally one frightening is you had an otherwise placid individual resort to an act like that. You dont know what you'd be capable of if you were ever pushed into a situation like that

Nally sat there week in week out all night long waiting for someone to enter his land with the explicit intention of killing them. That could have just as easily been a neighbour calling in, the parish priest, someone canvassing for a political party, a salesperson etc.

I do have sympathy for the situation he was in, I really do, but the picture of a pillar of the community being plagued by thieves pushed over the edge is a load of arse.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:28pm
Read the wikipedia entry on jury nullification. I think that's what happened with Nally. He really ought to have been convicted of manslaughter (were this to occur today, I'd advise him to plead to manslaughter, ffs, on the grounds of diminished responsibility, but I suppose his lawyers are better than me, plus diminished responsibility is only a more recent creation in Ireland).

I wouldn't play the Dublin vs Mayo card though, cos although the first trial was in Mayo, the re-trial (where he was acquitted after the first conviction was quashed) was held in Dublin.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 26 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:30pm

Not in that sense tbh. The act itself would be considered murder but he clearly had diminished responsibility.I dont think it was as premeditated as much as it was heat of the moment.He decided to finish him off while he was in an unfit state of mind. Is it still considered murder if he's of unsound mind at that time ?!

He didn't plead insanity or diminished responsibility, so we will never know.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Not in that sense tbh. The act itself would be considered murder but he clearly had diminished responsibility.I dont think it was as premeditated as much as it was heat of the moment.He decided to finish him off while he was in an unfit state of mind. Is it still considered murder if he's of unsound mind at that time ?!

He didn't plead insanity or diminished responsibility, so we will never know.

Plus, like I said above, afaik, diminished responsibility was not part of Irish law at the time.

The doctrine of excessive self-defence was though (and remains, albeit very rarely used, seeing as it only changes murder to manslaughter and has no application elsewhere), which, like diminished responsibility, would have lead to a conviction for manslaughter. It applies where the killing is admitted and where the force used is more than reasonably necessary but where the accused thinks it is necessary. I think they may have ran that too in Nally, at least as a back up plan, saying first, it was total self-defence (the force was reasonable) but that even if the jury thought it wasn't, and thought he should be convicted of something, and concluded that the force was unreasonable, Nally thought it was reasonable, and so should only be convicted of manslaughter, on the grounds of excessive self-defence.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:55pm

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I agree with everything he done but at the same time, if everyone done it, the place would be like America.

So logically you support the scissor sisters and if not, why not?
I support shooting knackers.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:56pm
I think he should have been found guilty but that the sentencing by the judge was the place to take into account his situation and circumstances.

I think it is wrong that a person has been killed in those circumstances and there is no convinction for it even though it went to trial. 
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:02pm
Just to clarify lads why did he actually get off in the end?! I was under the impression that it was because he wasn't in a fit state of mind to be held accountable for his actions. Anybody can tell that was excessive force to say the least. If he got off for anything other than a plea of insanity, its sets a dangerous precedent for future cases like this
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:04pm

Just to clarify lads why did he actually get off in the end?! I was under the impression that it was because he wasn't in a fit state of mind to be held accountable for his actions. Anybody can tell that was excessive force to say the least. If he got off for anything other than a plea of insanity, its sets a dangerous precedent for future cases like this

Like I said, it smacks of jury nullification.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Like I said, it smacks of jury nullification.

I see. But how can a jury get away with that?! The fact they disagree with a law and can acquit someone on the grounds that they feel the law is unjust, that seems ludicrous. How can the law which is supposed to be indiscriminate, be subject to a jury's opinion. Shouldnt the jury be applying the law, not disregarding it no matter how draconian and unjust it may be?

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Feb 2013 at 3:16pm
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
If someone comes into your house like that they deserve to be shot.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Who came into whose house?
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm

Who came into whose house?

Your man the knacker into Nally house.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Had it recorded but had seen it before. Good production alright. Closest Garda station was 25 miles away at the time. Wonder whether that station was a victim of last month's cut backs.

Did it say in the documentary that the nearest Garda Station was 25 miles away? He lives in Cross which is right between Ballinrobe and Headford. Both are about a 10 minute drive away. Im almost certain both of them have Garda stations. Claremorris and Castlebar arent 25 miles away either.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:58pm
RTID is spot on here. I always worry about myself when I say that!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:01pm

Your man the knacker into Nally house.

No he didn't...
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:02pm

Shouldnt the jury be applying the law, not disregarding it no matter how draconian and unjust it may be?

they are under no obligation to apply the law,  they have to decide if he is guilty or not , they can chose to acquit him for any reason at all..

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I support shooting knackers.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Shouldnt the jury be applying the law, not disregarding it no matter how draconian and unjust it may be?

they are under no obligation to apply the law,  they have to decide if he is guilty or not , they can chose to acquit him for any reason at all..

Fair enough milla but where does the law come in so? Is the law not the basis for their verdict? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic