You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPC / Virgin v SKY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Rangers Billy 2012 Rangers Billy 2012 wrote:

Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Rangers Billy 2012 Rangers Billy 2012 wrote:

The crappy UPC remote does my head in. Always goes to the poxy menu screen and constantly doesnt change channel correctly.

Didn't think a proud Ulsterman such as yourself would forget to log out of the RB account before posting a normal comment

What ye talkin about ye wee fenian bastard?  Watch the Gers games on UPC.

Apologies Billy, didn't think you live in the 26
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

Presume Baldies dad has sky and he watches it using sky go from his home.

Yeah I get ya now, apologies Baldy

@9F - yes it's a load of shire in fairness, loads of existing apps for watching tv on already, UPC still miles behind sky but a good bit cheaper, depends on what you are after, seems that cheap and a good service is not possible!

"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:41am
Rang up UPC yesterday and cancelled Sky Sports for the summer - been meaning to do it for a few summers now, this year there really is nothing at all of interest on.

€10 downgrade fee, avoids €35 a month for 3 months till the proper sports start again.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am
I'll be switching my broadband over to sky in the next few weeks so will have everything with sky (TV, Internet & phone).

Sky can be crap to deal with when trying to cancel or arrange for installation dates but for everything else I've found them brilliant over the last few years.

Our TV bill is big enough with them at about €111 a month (1 Sky+ HD box and 3 normal HD boxes) but because we are paying so much we get every offer going. Got the full HD pack added for free with out even asking and am always on a special for sky movies for either free (for the next 6 months) or for an extra €1 per month (previous 6 months).

Plus now with the new customer service call centre on Burlington Road in D4 you no longer have to talk to someone in the UK, or even better someone from Cork!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:40am

What is the speed of Sky Interent, It is using the Eircom infrastructure is that right.  Can you switch from UPC broadband to Sky broadband, my understanding is that you cannot, that you need to have Eircom broadband to switch to Sky.   Open to correction there. 

AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

What is the speed of Sky Interent, It is using the Eircom infrastructure is that right.  Can you switch from UPC broadband to Sky broadband, my understanding is that you cannot, that you need to have Eircom broadband to switch to Sky.   Open to correction there. 

letter that came through the door from sky says that all UPC customers have to do is ring up with their existing customer number and they'll switch you over. Haven't called yet so don't know what the story is about getting a new sky modem.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:54am
Yeah you need an eircom landline so double check that line rental isnt extra.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:52am

UPC internet is run over fibre.
Eircom internet is run over DSL.

Eircom are going to deploying a large scape fibre backbone soon.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:15pm
UPC increasing my monthly cost by 5.50! Hefty increase. Have the broadband, which is v good and digital HD plus pack (don't have any add on packs ie sports or movies). Need to look at my options again.

UPC is not as good for TV, plus sky go is a great extra on sky. However UPC broadband is very good and by far quickest around.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

UPC internet is run over fibre.
Eircom internet is run over DSL.

Eircom are going to deploying a large scape fibre backbone soon.

Yes and Sky are just going to be using the Eircom infrastructure as far as I know and not the fibre network that UPC have. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by elroy45 elroy45 wrote:

UPC increasing my monthly cost by 5.50! Hefty increase. Have the broadband, which is v good and digital HD plus pack (don't have any add on packs ie sports or movies). Need to look at my options again.

UPC is not as good for TV, plus sky go is a great extra on sky. However UPC broadband is very good and by far quickest around.

I use Sky for TV and UPC for broadband.  Best of both worlds in my view. 
AKA pedantic kunt
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:34pm

A fair bit more expensive, no? I mean, I know it's the best, but the difference I would find is the extras  - sky HD is an extra €15 pm as opposed to €5 on UPC, multiroom the same. If I wanted to get sky tv and upc broadband, it would be €150 pm as opposed to €125 atm with upc.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:40pm
Would not waste money on HD so dont have that.  Do not have multiroom as dont give a sh*t about that either. 

Mine costs €26 for Sky TV and €45 euro for the Broadband and Phone with UPC so thats 71 Euro
AKA pedantic kunt
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:40pm

Would not waste money on HD so dont have that.  Do not have multiroom as dont give a sh*t about that either. 

Mine costs €26 for Sky TV and €45 euro for the Broadband and Phone with UPC so thats 71 Euro

Broadband any good with sky
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:47pm
I dont know heff, as my post says I have my broadband with UPC.  I cant see anybody competing with UPC for broadband as horsebox says they have they run theirs over fibre and it is the fastest by a mile. 

AKA pedantic kunt
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:50pm
Ooaps . But ain't UPCs broadband sh*te in rural area. I now a lot of people say it crap and have had many problems with it in country places.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:57pm
I dont know, I dont live in a rural area. I can only tell you what it is like for me in an non rural area. They have the best broadband in urban areas where available.
AKA pedantic kunt
elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:55am

Fair enough, but usually is cheaper to go with both products from the one.  I think my package works out currently at 64 a moment, which Im fairly happy with.  the auld lad has sky at home, so tend to use sky go on the laptop for sky sports etc.

Sky has a better product tv package but then you do get espn and setanta ireland in the basic package with upc.  In general I think UPC has upped its game in a big way, its DVR is pretty decent now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic