Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43272
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: UPC / Virgin v SKY
Posted By: BabbsBalls
Subject: UPC / Virgin v SKY
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:23pm
Im with Sky at the minute , costs €27 a month standard package job. UPC are offering me the same package but includes ESPN and Setanta for €25 a month . . .

Sounds good to me but my mate was with UPC for a few years and went to Sky and swears by them , said the Sky menu and stuff is a lot easier and quicker to navigate about ....

Anybody ??

Replies:
Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:29pm
upc's pricing can be very deceiving, I'd double check closely

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
UPC menu is a pain in the hole Babbs, so frustrating to use and when you have been using sky and then go to these you will notice a huge difference and not for the better, if you can stick with sky if I were you,(by the way I am with UPC and I hate it but in a contract and a bundle with broadband) will look to change when contract runs out unless they improve.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:46pm
I'm with UPC and have broadband + tv, will be switching to sky when my contract is up as UPC are sh*te and sky now offer broadband.
Stick with sky

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 5:55pm
The free ESPN and Setanta with basic package makes it worth staying with UPC if you into sports which you are. I wouldn't bother going back to Sky as I have GAA matches, FA cup and Premier league games on ESPN at no extra cost but I wouldn't pay for a Sports package with SKY.

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:11pm
The upc box is absolutely rubbish in comparison to the sky box. The sky box is just so much more user friendly. What I will say though is that if you want quick and reliable internet access, I believe that UPC's internet service is very good. If it's just for telly though, I would definitely go with sky.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:21pm
Get a dreambox , best thing I did was f**k out sky.

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:42pm
BB with the package you are on at the moment is that just telly? If so which channels do you get with that? I am choosing between both at the moment too, cheers.

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:44pm
Wouldn't go near UPC absolutely sh*te

Skygo is quality too

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:48pm
I am a telly provider virgin so I havent a clue that and the fact that I rarely watch telly doesnt help. I would be happy with the normal channels but my BF isnt. How much dearer is sky for the internet and tv? Approx?

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/eurovox-the-starview-kryptview-dreambox_topic40285.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ybig.ie/forum/eurovox-the-starview-kryptview-dreambox_topic40285.html

I was on the phone when I posted earlier on so couldnt link that post.Anyone who has a good intenet speed should have a look at going down this route.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm
What the fook is the story witht he upc remote control? Trying to press channel 401 for example and you press the 4, then the 0, then when you press the 1 and the 4 and the 0 disappear and it goea to the upc channel. Usually it works on the 4th attempt. Piece of rubbish.

Also notice when you are watching tv and press the ok button to see what else is on on other channels so you press the left or right arrows then after maybe 10-12 channels it switches to the digital video recorder menu.

And before any smartasses say I am pressing the wrong buttons I am not and doing it quick enough.

Also the buttons on the actual upc box dont work.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

BB with the package you are on at the moment is that just telly? If so which channels do you get with that? I am choosing between both at the moment too, cheers.

I just changed to UPC for broadband. Same price and lightening quick . Vodafone state up to 25mb download speed but ye only get around 4 to 5mb . UPC say definitely 25mb but I'm up to around 27mb

Wit regards to the TV , normal package without movies and sports will cost ye around €27 with either sky or UPC . Only thing is UPC give ye Setanta and ESPN with the standard package . That's why I'm debating it anyway but gonna stay wit Sky as most tell me using the UPC box will have my head done in.. We watch feck all TV anyway mostly series and stuff we have on a hard drive.

All in all , €45 for phone and broadband. €71 for phone , broadband and tv . Reasonable enough

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What the fook is the story witht he upc remote control? Trying to press channel 401 for example and you press the 4, then the 0, then when you press the 1 and the 4 and the 0 disappear and it goea to the upc channel. Usually it works on the 4th attempt. Piece of rubbish.

Also notice when you are watching tv and press the ok button to see what else is on on other channels so you press the left or right arrows then after maybe 10-12 channels it switches to the digital video recorder menu.

And before any smartasses say I am pressing the wrong buttons I am not and doing it quick enough.

The exact same thing happens me with the UPC box. You can never get the third button in at the first attempt. It keeps going onto that poxy channel 100. Hate the bastards. Rang sky the other day, they don't Internet in my area yet but as soon as they do I'm switching to them.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

I just changed to UPC for broadband. Same price and lightening quick . Vodafone state up to 25mb download speed but ye only get around 4 to 5mb . UPC say definitely 25mb but I'm up to around 27mb

Wit regards to the TV , normal package without movies and sports will cost ye around €27 with either sky or UPC . Only thing is UPC give ye Setanta and ESPN with the standard package . That's why I'm debating it anyway but gonna stay wit Sky as most tell me using the UPC box will have my head done in.. We watch feck all TV anyway mostly series and stuff we have on a hard drive.

All in all , €45 for phone and broadband. €71 for phone , broadband and tv . Reasonable enough
That's only Setanta Ireland for free dude and most of the Saturday EPL games are on Setanta Sports 1.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:47pm

Not gonna bother changing . Sky get their business done.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm

Have all these issues too TJ, it really is a joke.

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:07pm
My UPC box knocks itself off all the time and have that problem with the remote all the time as well

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:11pm
Yeah sounds pants alright. UPC ye after.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:15pm
As soon as sky get the broadband sorted UPC will be in serious trouble. My UPC remote has been hopped off the wall numerous times

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:18pm

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:41pm
Thats not bad BB. The Upc Broadband is deadly in fairness but I couldnt be dealing with an annoying remote cause it would be gone over balcony along with my boyfriend if it started acting up!

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:46pm
UPC technician out to the gaf earlier to fix broadband, he asks the owl one what was the problem she said she didn't have a clue, your man went off in the car and never returned

Seriously how can they send people out to a house without telling them the faults, I saw the funny side of it, the issue has only been going on for 4 months, what's another few days.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:47pm

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:53pm
You must have the old STB with UPC. Suckers

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You must have the old STB with UPC. Suckers

Ya what now?

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:03pm
Horsey has an STD apparently.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:05pm
Some set top boxes are known to have issues.

Google UPC set top boxes.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:07pm
Cant get Sky where i live, surrounded by tall trees, so only recently got UPC , Box is not user friendly and the remote is a joke, Cry 

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

UPC menu is a pain in the hole Babbs, so frustrating to use and when you have been using sky and then go to these you will notice a huge difference and not for the better, if you can stick with sky if I were you
Yes

Me too!

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:26am
I suppose I have never had sky, only UPC. I find it pretty good, remote does some silly things but when you get used to it you can see the stupid thing its about to do and counteract it! I also have it for free cos I let them put a cable on the side of the house! Thumbs Up

-------------
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:11pm
Box is a pain in the hole but the prices are better with UPC and the internet is rapid.

Have phone, broadband, espn, sky sports, sky movies, and most channels (no setanta 1, espn classic, fox or a few others), paying them €118 a month (well, I only pay half). Would be paying a fair bit more with sky.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:52pm
Anyone with UPC? they have changed their T&Cs which means you can downgrade change or exit your contract. What I will be doing tomorrow is cancelling my current €69 pm contract which is tv phone and broadband, and then resigning up for the same plan which is now €66, a €3 pm saving. But wait, there's more......as a 'new sign up again, this plan is €50 for 6 months, that's a €16 saving per month or €96 over the 6 months. Add the €3 saving per month for the next 6 months and that's an extra €18. A grand saving of €114 on your new 12 month contract.

Shamfinance to the rescue again.

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:56pm
UPC have also brought out their own version of "SkyGo" called Horizon, so you can watch TV on up to two devices anywhere you go. Only available on ipad/iphone at the moment though. Android version is expected in the summer.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:57pm
When you re sign up Sham does it not need to be under a new customers name for that offer to take affect?

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

UPC have also brought out their own version of "SkyGo" called Horizon, so you can watch TV on up to two devices anywhere you go. Only available on ipad/iphone at the moment though. Android version is expected in the summer.

Not true, you need to be on the broadband connected to that bill which is a load of bollox in truth.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:00pm

When you re sign up Sham does it not need to be under a new customers name for that offer to take affect?

No, you end one contract, when you resign it's a brand new contract. Even if it was, sure most people have more than one person in the house. I'll be ringing tomorrow and trying to do it with out having to cancel and resign. Just mention DKY and they start being nice to you

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:01pm
And finally, they've put their prices my plan is goin up by €5 pm

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:02pm

Not true, you need to be on the broadband connected to that bill which is a load of bollox in truth.

I'd imagine most people would have both with them so it is true.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:07pm

Load of arse alright.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:08pm

I'd imagine most people would have both with them so it is true.

Not really comparable to skygo when you have to be in the house where the BB and tv is, skygo can be used anywhere in uk and ireland, UPC - your home, so basically a load of sh*te.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:17pm

Not really comparable to skygo when you have to be in the house where the BB and tv is, skygo can be used anywhere in uk and ireland, UPC - your home, so basically a load of sh*te.

Right well if that's the case I've been misinformed today, by someone usually up to date on tech matters.

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:21pm
Yeah there would be no chance of me watching Sky Sports under  the UPC situation which I can do at the moment using the Dads account. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Yeah there would be no chance of me watching Sky Sports under  the UPC situation which I can do at the moment using the Dads account. 

What?

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:29pm

Right well if that's the case I've been misinformed today, by someone usually up to date on tech matters.

Well that's according to reviews on the app over the weekend Trapped, Baldy spouting some cryptic sh*te here so we might found out what he is talking about some time.

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:33pm
Presume Baldies dad has sky and he watches it using sky go from his home.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:36pm

Well that's according to reviews on the app over the weekend Trapped, Baldy spouting some cryptic sh*te here so we might found out what he is talking about some time.

just reading that now, what's the f**kin point if this app? So they're putting up prices, their app is sh*te and offers nothing new compared to apps out there, and their tv service is v unreliable. Pain in me hole with these

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:37pm
I have this horizon box in my bedroom, it's a full media box too with a 100gb hard disk in it.
Unfortunately since it has a hard disk and it has fans and makes LOTS of noise.

Every night I have to unplug the power from the box every night.

They also have no manual for the box so I have no idea how to use the poxy thing too.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

Yeah I get ya now, apologies Baldy

@9F - yes it's a load of shire in fairness, loads of existing apps for watching tv on already, UPC still miles behind sky but a good bit cheaper, depends on what you are after, seems that cheap and a good service is not possible!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 6:53pm
Apology accepted Sono.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Rangers Billy 2012
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:18pm
The crappy UPC remote does my head in. Always goes to the poxy menu screen and constantly doesnt change channel correctly.

-------------
Lagan Valley Loyal

No Surrender

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Rangers Billy 2012 Rangers Billy 2012 wrote:

The crappy UPC remote does my head in. Always goes to the poxy menu screen and constantly doesnt change channel correctly.

Didn't think a proud Ulsterman such as yourself would forget to log out of the RB account before posting a normal comment

Posted By: Rangers Billy 2012
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Didn't think a proud Ulsterman such as yourself would forget to log out of the RB account before posting a normal comment

What ye talkin about ye wee fenian bastard?  Watch the Gers games on UPC.

-------------
Lagan Valley Loyal

No Surrender

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:47pm

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm

What ye talkin about ye wee fenian bastard?  Watch the Gers games on UPC.

Apologies Billy, didn't think you live in the 26

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:19pm

Originally posted by Funsize Crouchy Funsize Crouchy wrote:

Yeah I get ya now, apologies Baldy

@9F - yes it's a load of shire in fairness, loads of existing apps for watching tv on already, UPC still miles behind sky but a good bit cheaper, depends on what you are after, seems that cheap and a good service is not possible!

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:41am
Rang up UPC yesterday and cancelled Sky Sports for the summer - been meaning to do it for a few summers now, this year there really is nothing at all of interest on.

€10 downgrade fee, avoids €35 a month for 3 months till the proper sports start again.

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:33am
I'll be switching my broadband over to sky in the next few weeks so will have everything with sky (TV, Internet & phone).

Sky can be crap to deal with when trying to cancel or arrange for installation dates but for everything else I've found them brilliant over the last few years.

Our TV bill is big enough with them at about €111 a month (1 Sky+ HD box and 3 normal HD boxes) but because we are paying so much we get every offer going. Got the full HD pack added for free with out even asking and am always on a special for sky movies for either free (for the next 6 months) or for an extra €1 per month (previous 6 months).

Plus now with the new customer service call centre on Burlington Road in D4 you no longer have to talk to someone in the UK, or even better someone from Cork!

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:40am

What is the speed of Sky Interent, It is using the Eircom infrastructure is that right.  Can you switch from UPC broadband to Sky broadband, my understanding is that you cannot, that you need to have Eircom broadband to switch to Sky.   Open to correction there. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:50am

What is the speed of Sky Interent, It is using the Eircom infrastructure is that right.  Can you switch from UPC broadband to Sky broadband, my understanding is that you cannot, that you need to have Eircom broadband to switch to Sky.   Open to correction there. 

letter that came through the door from sky says that all UPC customers have to do is ring up with their existing customer number and they'll switch you over. Haven't called yet so don't know what the story is about getting a new sky modem.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:54am
Yeah you need an eircom landline so double check that line rental isnt extra.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:52am

UPC internet is run over fibre.
Eircom internet is run over DSL.

Eircom are going to deploying a large scape fibre backbone soon.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:15pm
UPC increasing my monthly cost by 5.50! Hefty increase. Have the broadband, which is v good and digital HD plus pack (don't have any add on packs ie sports or movies). Need to look at my options again.

UPC is not as good for TV, plus sky go is a great extra on sky. However UPC broadband is very good and by far quickest around.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:18pm

UPC internet is run over fibre.
Eircom internet is run over DSL.

Eircom are going to deploying a large scape fibre backbone soon.

Yes and Sky are just going to be using the Eircom infrastructure as far as I know and not the fibre network that UPC have. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by elroy45 elroy45 wrote:

UPC increasing my monthly cost by 5.50! Hefty increase. Have the broadband, which is v good and digital HD plus pack (don't have any add on packs ie sports or movies). Need to look at my options again.

UPC is not as good for TV, plus sky go is a great extra on sky. However UPC broadband is very good and by far quickest around.

I use Sky for TV and UPC for broadband.  Best of both worlds in my view. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:34pm

A fair bit more expensive, no? I mean, I know it's the best, but the difference I would find is the extras  - sky HD is an extra €15 pm as opposed to €5 on UPC, multiroom the same. If I wanted to get sky tv and upc broadband, it would be €150 pm as opposed to €125 atm with upc.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:40pm
Would not waste money on HD so dont have that.  Do not have multiroom as dont give a sh*t about that either. 

Mine costs €26 for Sky TV and €45 euro for the Broadband and Phone with UPC so thats 71 Euro

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:40pm

Would not waste money on HD so dont have that.  Do not have multiroom as dont give a sh*t about that either. 

Mine costs €26 for Sky TV and €45 euro for the Broadband and Phone with UPC so thats 71 Euro

Broadband any good with sky

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:47pm
I dont know heff, as my post says I have my broadband with UPC.  I cant see anybody competing with UPC for broadband as horsebox says they have they run theirs over fibre and it is the fastest by a mile. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:50pm
Ooaps . But ain't UPCs broadband sh*te in rural area. I now a lot of people say it crap and have had many problems with it in country places.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 11:57pm
I dont know, I dont live in a rural area. I can only tell you what it is like for me in an non rural area. They have the best broadband in urban areas where available.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:55am

Fair enough, but usually is cheaper to go with both products from the one.  I think my package works out currently at 64 a moment, which Im fairly happy with.  the auld lad has sky at home, so tend to use sky go on the laptop for sky sports etc.

Sky has a better product tv package but then you do get espn and setanta ireland in the basic package with upc.  In general I think UPC has upped its game in a big way, its DVR is pretty decent now.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:01am

Fair enough, but usually is cheaper to go with both products from the one.  I think my package works out currently at 64 a moment, which Im fairly happy with.  the auld lad has sky at home, so tend to use sky go on the laptop for sky sports etc.

Sky has a better product tv package but then you do get espn and setanta ireland in the basic package with upc.  In general I think UPC has upped its game in a big way, its DVR is pretty decent now.

Yeah think my package was coming in at 67 if I went with all with UPC. So I am paying 4 euro extra a month to have a better TV product as there menu is far better and their sky plus is better and the Sky Go is better.  I do use the Parents Sky go for Sky Sports also, but the functionality of the Sky Plus on the GO is far better than UPC.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 6:56pm
anyone confirm with the new ne upc horizon service that you have to be using your own internet connection? cant see that anywhere

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

anyone confirm with the new ne upc horizon service that you have to be using your own internet connection? cant see that anywhere

The bit that states you can watch tv anywhere in your home with the new horizon service is key here Tom, it is definitely not on the go service.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:15pm

The bit that states you can watch tv anywhere in your home with the new horizon service is key here Tom, it is definitely not on the go service.

What a completely useless serviceConfused  I heard UPC are bringing out a chocolate teapot.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm

What a completely useless serviceConfused  I heard UPC are bringing out a chocolate teapot.

It's effectively multiroom-on-laptop. Absolutely no reason to sign up for multiroom if your laptop and tv have HDMI connections.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm

I don't believe that to be correct.
I think that once you have the UPC broadband you can watch TV anywhere once you have the correct app installed.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:10pm
as the lads say multiroom is pointless now, but im not so sure its only at home

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:17pm
If you sign up for the deal of free installation of the horizon HD box before the end of June, does anyone know if there are increased recurring charges thereafter or will my bill be the same

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:47pm

I don't believe that to be correct.
I think that once you have the UPC broadband you can watch TV anywhere once you have the correct app installed.

Just rang them to clear this up, you can watch on the go but it has to be connected to a secure network for this to work, basically you can't use the 3G on your phone to stream this but can be done in wifi zones, channels are limited lads on it so be aware of this!

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:57pm
45 channels including all the main ones sono

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm
If you have sky sports and movies etc can you watch them?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:21pm
No you can't Gaz, rte player and previous apps the same only the channels in one place.

This app not available on android yet either only apple devices and desktops/laptops(obviously).

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 9:43pm
Just messing around with the app and I quite like it, quite easy to navigate too just a pity can't watch sports, maybe that will be introduced some time in the future.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:01pm
Horizon is really a half arsed effort on UPCs part.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 10:15pm

Just messing around with the app and I quite like it, quite easy to navigate too just a pity can't watch sports, maybe that will be introduced some time in the future.

No chance sky will allow that

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 9:33pm
heres a list of the channels

Genre:
All
  1. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151401/RTE-One.html" rel="nofollow">RTE One
  2. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151427/RTE-Two.html" rel="nofollow">RTE Two
  3. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785127283/TV3.html" rel="nofollow">TV3
  4. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151375/TG4.html" rel="nofollow">TG4
  5. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787175103/3e.html" rel="nofollow">3e
  6. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199067/BBC-1.html" rel="nofollow">BBC 1
  7. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199093/BBC-2.html" rel="nofollow">BBC 2
  8. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199275/UTV.html" rel="nofollow">UTV
  9. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787687437/BBC-THREE.html" rel="nofollow">BBC THREE
  10. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787687411/BBC-FOUR.html" rel="nofollow">BBC FOUR
  11. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786663213/ITV2.html" rel="nofollow">ITV2
  12. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151011/ITV3.html" rel="nofollow">ITV3
  13. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151063/ITV4.html" rel="nofollow">ITV4
  14. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151349/RTE-News-Now.html" rel="nofollow">RTE News Now
  15. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787687385/BBC-News-24.html" rel="nofollow">BBC News 24
  16. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639277/Sky-News.html" rel="nofollow">Sky News
  17. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639147/CNN.html" rel="nofollow">CNN
  18. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151271/Discovery.html" rel="nofollow">Discovery
  19. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785127101/Discovery-Science.html" rel="nofollow">Discovery Science
  20. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151297/Discovery-History.html" rel="nofollow">Discovery History
  21. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151193/Animal-Planet.html" rel="nofollow">Animal Planet
  22. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199353/DMAX.html" rel="nofollow">DMAX
  23. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199041/History-Channel.html" rel="nofollow">History Channel
  24. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787687229/Biography-Channel.html" rel="nofollow">Biography Channel
  25. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787687333/MGM-Movies.html" rel="nofollow">MGM Movies
  26. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639095/Sky-Sports-News.html" rel="nofollow">Sky Sports News
  27. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639251/Extreme-Sports.html" rel="nofollow">Extreme Sports
  28. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151219/Eurosport.html" rel="nofollow">Eurosport
  29. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787175181/Eurosport-2.html" rel="nofollow">Eurosport 2
  30. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199327/ID.html" rel="nofollow">ID
  31. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786151323/Disc.-Real-Time.html" rel="nofollow">Disc. Real Time
  32. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786663447/Food-Network.html" rel="nofollow">Food Network
  33. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785127179/RTE-Junior.html" rel="nofollow">RTE Junior
  34. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639069/Boomerang.html" rel="nofollow">Boomerang
  35. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788199015/CBBC.html" rel="nofollow">CBBC
  36. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13788198963/Cbeebies.html" rel="nofollow">Cbeebies
  37. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787174973/Disney-Channel.html" rel="nofollow">Disney Channel
  38. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13787175025/Disney-Junior.html" rel="nofollow">Disney Junior
  39. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785639173/Cartoon-Network.html" rel="nofollow">Cartoon Network
  40. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13786663395/The-Box.html" rel="nofollow">The Box
  41. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13784615419/Smash-Hits.html" rel="nofollow">Smash Hits
  42. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785127231/Magic.html" rel="nofollow">Magic
  43. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785126997/Heat.html" rel="nofollow">Heat
  44. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785126971/Kerrang!.html" rel="nofollow">Kerrang!
  45. https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/live-channels/live-channel.html/13785127153/KISS.html" rel="nofollow">KISS

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 10:49pm
UPC are sh*te. We have it in the house here and its sh*t. The box is sh*t, the remote is sh*t.

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:23am

Never used UPC, but I have Virgin media and I see they're being bought up by UPC's parent company. What's the problem with the remote? I always see people complaining about it.

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 1:32pm
Just got the sky hd box in the house, some difference in quality. If you don't have the box already rig up sky and complain or say you are looking thinking of switching to UPC.

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 1:46pm
ye i emailed sky yesterday saying i wanna cancel as im switching to upc, should get me hd or a few quid off

Rang them last month and told them to cancel skysports they rang back and gave me 14e a month off it

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 12:13pm
Anyone know anyway to speed up your activation date for sky broadband?

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

sean are you in an area covered by the new higher speed broadband that is being rolled out at the moment.I would check that out ,will be much better than Sky broadband and I was told sky wont be moving over to the higher speeds for a while yet.
Whereabouts do you live?

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

sean are you in an area covered by the new higher speed broadband that is being rolled out at the moment.I would check that out ,will be much better than Sky broadband and I was told sky wont be moving over to the higher speeds for a while yet.
Whereabouts do you live?

In the north cork area, so not sure its covered by higher speed broadband. Everything was switched over to sky, phone broadband and upgrade to sky+ hd. Think I might just plug the eircom modem back in until its activated.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 12:35pm
check this map if you are within 1KM of  one of the markers,you might already have the higher speeds.makes no odds to you if you have already changed over but handy to know if your area is covered because Sky will be offering the higher speeds at some stage.

http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 11:56pm
Just signed up to a great deal with sky, entertainment package for €25(that's half price) per month for 12 months and 50MB BB with UPC €25 for 6 months then €42 after 6

I presume I can just flick on the sports if I want for the football and then knock it off again in the off season, did that with upc so would guess it works the same, anyone able to confirm?

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 9:38am
you can.  In fact, the odd time Ive rang them up in may to cancel, they usually try and offer you sky sports for less for a few months instead of you cancelling altogether.  UPC on the other hand never offered me such deals but in fact charged me for downgrading the subscription.

I see BT Sports is going to be part of the Setanta package.  Presumably UPC arent going to give that for free to their subscribers like they currently do with Setanta Ireland and ESPN?

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:13am

Just signed up to a great deal with sky, entertainment package for €25(that's half price) per month for 12 months and 50MB BB with UPC €25 for 6 months then €42 after 6

I presume I can just flick on the sports if I want for the football and then knock it off again in the off season, did that with upc so would guess it works the same, anyone able to confirm?

Is the sky package normally 50 quid sono.  

I have been paying the 25 euro for ages now and the 42 on the broadband also for ages.  Fair play on getting the 25 euro BB for 6 months.  

Did not realise though that the normal price for sky was 50 euro.  

Still think its all very expensive though when you think its 500 euro for Broadband for the year and 300 for TV and then the TV Licence is another 160.  

Best part of 1000 euro for TV and Broadband and Radio for the year. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 10:43am
Baldy it's Entertainment package with a HD box, 38 with sports and 47 with sports and movies for the year, not sure on full price for entertainment one but I think the basic one is 35 and then there is a higher entertainment package which I think I am going onto but I could be wrong.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net