You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPC / Virgin v SKY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:47pm
If there's one thing to be learnt from this thread and the mobile phone providers one, it's that you're pretty much f**ked with whichever company you do decide to give your hard earned money to.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 10:41pm
Eircom broadband €53 a month and have the phone disconnected as you only use if it's there and then the ZGemma dodged box hooked up to the broadband . You would be paying over €100 a month for all the stuff coming through the dodger box . Box office boxing from the weekend was free ... Best investment in the last year
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Eircom broadband €53 a month and have the phone disconnected as you only use if it's there and then the ZGemma dodged box hooked up to the broadband . You would be paying over €100 a month for all the stuff coming through the dodger box . Box office boxing from the weekend was free ... Best investment in the last year
you can get the exact same broadband for less than that with pure telecom...€37pm. Thats purely broadband on its own somyoure not paying for a phone you wont use
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:07am

Think it's time I had a look into this, few questions...
1) Where do you get this box from
2) How often does it need to get recoded and how difficult is that?
3) Can you records stuff from the TV (Sky+)?
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:46am
@Sham the Pure thing is €39 for the 1st three months going up to €45 after that and then you are tied down to an 18 month contract with them(I am moving shortly and doesn't suit) . So it's only €8 the difference and then cuts out the hassle of changing and waiting around for reconnecting and dealing with a 3rd party if something goes wrong . Pure reviews are not the best from the last couple of months on google search but that might have changed . Cheers
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 10:26am
Vodafone do a broadband only package for €40 per month.Unlimited fibre bb.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 10:45am

@Sham the Pure thing is €39 for the 1st three months going up to €45 after that and then you are tied down to an 18 month contract with them(I am moving shortly and doesn't suit) . So it's only €8 the difference and then cuts out the hassle of changing and waiting around for reconnecting and dealing with a 3rd party if something goes wrong . Pure reviews are not the best from the last couple of months on google search but that might have changed . Cheers
their purely broadband is €39(was €37) fixed for 18 months. No increase in price. They have another broadband option also thats more expensive. The purely option is no download limits fixed price.
https://www.puretelecom.ie/purely-broadband/

Edited by Sham157 - 03 Mar 2016 at 10:47am
gunner88 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

ebay or any satellite box websites. 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by gunner88 gunner88 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

ebay or any satellite box websites. 

any enigma 2 box will do the job,then add a sub from any of the online sellers.
Very straightforward to set up and will only need to be done once if you stay with same sub provider,otherwise once a year.
If you add a hard drive then you can record,rewind,series link etc 

* there is a huge thread on here somewhere about it,thread is called dreambox/Eurovox (I think)

Edited by rossieman - 03 Mar 2016 at 11:49am
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:46pm
Have been dealing with sky & virgin for about 5 days now, for the folks.
Absolute nightmare stuff. 2 absolute sh*te companies

Will be cancelling my own sky very soon and getting in a fta thing, along with vodafone bb and a decent dodgy box
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm
Currently with Sky for the internet. Brutal speeds where we are and the most we can get is 2mb. Imagine have signs up around the area that they'll be able to provide up to 70mb speeds (guarantee nothing below 30mb) with the home phone for 59e a month. Anyone with them or know if what they're offering is what you actually get?
Some people just deserve a slap
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:08pm
Thats through the phoneline where your speed is dictated by your local exchange, your distance to it etc etc. Any provider you use the speeds will be similar. Some difference maybe depending on router type but nothing huge. Mate of mine living in the sticks has tried them all at this stage in the hope of getting higher speeds to no avail.

Imagine uses LTE technology or 4G, same as 4G data on phones. Undoubtedly this will be faster than your current speeds and it operates in the same way really as phone data. There are other satellite type providers but these are fairly costly

Edited by Sham157 - 03 Nov 2016 at 5:10pm
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:12pm
The said their one is a wireless and they guarantee nothing less that 30mb or they wont install it?
Some people just deserve a slap
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:39pm
Anyone in Dublin with Eir? Thinking of ditching UPC and heading to Eir. Currently getting well over 120Mb on a consistent basis with UPC and I know Eir will be slower but they say I can only get "up to 60Mb" here; anyone know what sort of speeds I'm likely to get?

They're far cheaper and the Eir Sports thing is a real reason to change.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

The said their one is a wireless and they guarantee nothing less that 30mb or they wont install it?
Yeah its wireless alright so no need for phoneline. If they guarantee no less than 30 then win win for you as in if it falls below they have breached their end of the deal.,
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Anyone in Dublin with Eir? Thinking of ditching UPC and heading to Eir. Currently getting well over 120Mb on a consistent basis with UPC and I know Eir will be slower but they say I can only get "up to 60Mb" here; anyone know what sort of speeds I'm likely to get?

They're far cheaper and the Eir Sports thing is a real reason to change.
I looked at Eir when I changed recently. Decided against it as I have the 'Sky' package that is not a Sky package. I chose Vodafone for the broadband at home as they were cheapest at €40pm. Nothing else only broadband. Speeds are fine, consistent on wifi at around 45mb although it has peaked the odd time to 75mb. Connected I'm getting just about the full 100mb. Lets be honest those speeds are perfect for everything the normal joe will be up to. 

Edited by Sham157 - 03 Nov 2016 at 5:49pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 5:54pm
Well, the issue is that I want Sky Sports and Eir Sports, if possible. Obviously I know I could just stream everything but I don't fancy the hassle etc and I don't mind paying for them, I just want to know what Eir broadband speeds are like.

I don't much fancy paying UPC 50 a month for TV only and then forking out another 80 or more to sky, if Eir is going to be decent enough. They're a decent price in comparison to the alternatives.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

mate of mine signed up with a company a few months back and its sounds similar to this.He is get 25- 30 mb and he was only getting around 4mb previously .

I will get the name of the company from him later.They gave him a months free trial.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic