You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Only Fools And Horses Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 58>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:48am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Is the episode on Gold now 'Tea for Three'the episode that ruined the series?

Its the one where Del is forced to go up in a hang glider and ends up crashing. According to David Jason in the scene where Del returns to the flat in a wheelchair, John Sullivan had written a brilliantly funny  long monologue. Because of the limitations of the 30 minute format they had to cut most of it out. At that moment  they decided the show needed to be extended to 50 minute episodes.Partners had to be brought in etc.

Apart from some notable exceptions it was never quite as funny again.

Bold statement that.

I loved them all. Just went absolutely shoite after "time on our hands" 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Its the one where Del is forced to go up in a hang glider and ends up crashing. According to David Jason in the scene where Del returns to the flat in a wheelchair, John Sullivan had written a brilliantly funny  long monologue. Because of the limitations of the 30 minute format they had to cut most of it out. At that moment  they decided the show needed to be extended to 50 minute episodes.Partners had to be brought in etc.

Bold statement that.

The 50 minute episodes and specials lead to an awful lot of filler.I can only think of maybe four that were very good all the way through : Dates (the 88 christmas special) Yuppy Love, Danger UXD and The Unlucky Winner Is (these were three of the first four 50 minute episodes in 89). After that it got more and more ragged. Take a character like Cassandra. She wasn't played by a particularly talented actress, plus she wasn't funny at all.She wouldn't have made it past the cutting room floor in the 30 minute format yet went on and on in the longer ones.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The hang gliding scene is probably my favorite OFAH moment. Delboys range of facial expressions are absolutely brilliant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_VotwwEtDx8">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_VotwwEtDx8

Totally man. My favourite all time OFAH scene. Dell bouncing up to the hand glider and rodneys no we aint got a car phone. Cracks me up every time. Brilliant scene.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Bold statement that.

The 50 minute episodes and specials lead to an awful lot of filler.I can only think of maybe four that were very good all the way through : Dates (the 88 christmas special) Yuppy Love, Danger UXD and The Unlucky Winner Is (these were three of the first four 50 minute episodes in 89). After that it got more and more ragged. Take a character like Cassandra. She wasn't played by a particularly talented actress, plus she wasn't funny at all.She wouldn't have made it past the cutting room floor in the 30 minute format yet went on and on in the longer ones.
I agree with ya, it is something that happens with a lot of sitcoms when they go on too long, they become more 'soap' comedies where the situation becomes more important than the comedy. Like the time the two boys were in the lift together, it is a beautiful piece of television, but it is cloyingly sentimental and not in anyway funny. There was a lot of that and the turning point is probably when and why you mentioned. A good observation.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
Don’t agree at all. Yes Cassandra was a sh*te character but I could see past her. Almost ignored her when on screen. There was plenty of great episodes in that 50 minute era. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:59pm
We ain't got a car phone. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:37pm
Anyone else think Miami Twice was sh*te?

Agreed on Casandra, awful character. 

Would have been great to seee more of Mickey Pearce and Jevon, I thought they were brilliant characters.

Grandad was also a far better character than Uncle Albert (still a legend mind)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Would have been great to seee more of Mickey Pearce and Jevon, I thought they were brilliant characters.

Miami Twice was embarrassing. The phrase 'jumping the shark' comes to mind. 

Cassandra wasn't just a poor character, it was also very poor casting. She didn't bring anything to the show, certainly not in the way Raquel did.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:45pm
Ya miami twice was pretty crap. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Miami Twice was embarrassing. The phrase 'jumping the shark' comes to mind. 

Cassandra wasn't just a poor character, it was also very poor casting. She didn't bring anything to the show, certainly not in the way Raquel did.

It's actually the one episode (now there's probably one or two more that escape me) that I just turn off when it's comes on. For me it's like Open All Hours or Porridge, it doesn't matter how time's I've seen them I'll still watch them but Miami Twice was awful.

Raquel Clap

Yeah there was absolutely no chemistry between Rodders and Cassandra, it would have been far better to see him with a local girl from the market or along those lines. I liked Alan tbf, him and Del Boy were a great pair.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:18am
Conspiracy theory:  We all know OFAH went sh*te after 1996.  It just so happens that Minder stopped around that time.  Sullivan ran out of storylines to rip off when they stopped making MinderLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:20am
Cassandra was ok up until 1990.  The dinner party in their flat in the Jolly Boys outing was funny.  Probably more to do with other characters thoughErmm  She was an awful whiny character.  Very realistic.  Like a real life wife.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:39pm
Right, i'm going to go through the 50 mins plus episodes and set the record straight -

To Hull and Back - Xmas Special 
A Royal Flush - Vicky and the "Paul" for the shooting 
A Frogs Legacy - top class stuff
Dates - we meet Raquel
Yuppy Love - we meet Cassandra and infamous bar scene
Danger UXD - blow up dolls
Chain Gang - Arnie 
The Unlucky Winner- holiday in spain
Sickness and Wealth - Del the Castella King
Little Problems - Driscoll Bros
Jolly Boys - The greatest
Rodney Come Home - Raquel is back
The Skys the Limit - the "statellite" dish
Chance of a Lunchtime - Raquel is up the pole
Stage Fright - Cwying
The Class of 62 - Slater
He aint heavy; he's my uncle - Knock Knock and Albert
Three men, a woman and a baby - the ponytail wig
Miami Twice x 2 - utter pig spunk
Mother Natures Son - Peckham Spring
Fatal Extraction - Del and Raquel split

Minus Miami episodes, i could watch the others time and time again (which i do LOL)

Now this is where it turns for me -

Heroes and Villains - Batman and Robin
Modern Men - The elevator scene; cassandra miscarriage
Time on our Hands - LOVE this episode. "Del are you a Naval man?" "Much more of a leg man"
If they could see us now - they lose the money - sh*te
Strangers on the Shore - Gary
Sleepless in Peckham - Ends

28 episodes there; 80% of which are class

Edited by McG - 06 Apr 2019 at 6:39pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:43pm
What about that facepalm idea for a spin off series 'Rock and Chips'?  Absolute rubbish.

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 10:36pm
Miami Twice was absolutely horrible. Really poor and like GD said, it's one of the only episodes I'll turn off. It seems to be on quite a lot though.

The "Gary" episode is dreadful sh*te as well 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:05pm
Just wondering but do you know that Cassandra’s mother is Benedict Cumberbatch’s mother.

Also she was a babe in her day.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Miami Twice was absolutely horrible. Really poor and like GD said, it's one of the only episodes I'll turn off. It seems to be on quite a lot though.

The "Gary" episode is dreadful sh*te as well 

Chosen by David Jason as his favourite episode/episodes. Just because he got to do his Marlon Brando thing, I suppose and show off his versatility as an actor? They're all complete ego maniacs of course that's how they end up being stars.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:09pm
i also disagree with others, 50 mins saved the show.

And IMO Albert is better than Grandad.

Best Grandad quote was when Rodders went out with a 40 year old.

DelBoy said she’s too old for me.

Grandad said “even I’d have to fink twice”
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 58>
  Share Topic