You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aviva Vs Croke Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coleman's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I wonder is there any chance of Croke park getting a Dart Station in the future

Hardly neccessry, Drumcondra station is about a 10 min walk
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:49pm
Finish the hill and have a complete wrap around stadium.Have the same style seating as you see in Germany in the lower Hill so it can be used as a terrace.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 9:00pm
My understanding is that the stadium was built big enough that they could put a station in underneath the Canal End if they desired. However, it would obviously necessitate additional electrification from Connolly and be relatively expensive with limited use aside from matchdays. There is only one track down from Connolly onto the line that runs under the Canal End. The line itself is double track but that one single track bit limits capacity.

The other thing is that Drumcondra and Croke Park stations are close enough. Frankly, there should be specials from down the country into Connolly on match days, with ones from the South and West stopping at Drumcondra having come through the Phoenix Park Tunnel. For safety reasons, they could obviously only stop there on the way up and not on the way down, because you wouldn't want hundreds of people on the platforms there after a match, necessarily.

The long term goal of Irish Rail is electrification of the Maynooth line in addition to the building of the Dart underground through the city centre from Heuston via Stephen's Green and Pearse to the Docklands. If that happens, there will be a Dart station at Drumcondra serving Connolly and all stations Southwards. The issue then would be for people coming from the North, who would only have Darts heading via Clontarf Road, the Docklands, Pearse and Heuston - they wouldn't have close stations without changing at Pearse for Connolly and Drumcondra, or walking all the way from Clontarf Road or the Docklands.

But a station at Croke Park, while possible, doesn't appear to be on the radar.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 10 Dec 2014 at 9:01pm
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 9:19pm
What I would like to see is the canal end given back to the opposing teams fans. Hate it being mixed and it's an unfair advantage in my opinion when the hill is full with the oppositions fans/ scummy knackers.
Chips don't bounce
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:15pm
Don't agree that it should be completed. All these bland wrap around stadiums look soul-less. Croke park's Hill end is distinctive. 

These changes proposed are all external but will be fantastic. Think it's something GAA really has to work on, more events around the game rather than just the pub.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:21pm
They will probably build a really big kids playground to cater for their clergy members
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:03am
i always have loved croke park since i was a kid. the old ground had a distinct look and feel to it with the history in it. took a while to get used to the new place but now i love the ground. was in the premium level with my dad for the all Ireland hurling final. how can you moan about sitting down for a beef dinner and a few beers before a big game :) 

the aviva is grand IMO. Ive only ever sat in the same area for the Ireland matches this past 4-5 years in the upper deck. great view and handy to get in and out of after the game.

i dont like this whole segregated idea at a GAA match, its not right at all. i sat between a tipp and KK fan at the final and not one bad word did i hear. they even shook hands after the drawn game lol

both have their merits and negatives but as a life long GAA person Croke Park is always top for me.
put em under pressure!
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:08am
I prefer the Hill been a terrace adds a big of character to the place. Other wise would be another soulless all seater stadium. 

Edited by theheff1989 - 11 Dec 2014 at 10:08am
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:46am
Both Croke Park and Lansdowne look sh*t IMO. Croke Park looks unfinished with the Nally Terrace and Hill 16. The North Stand in Lansdowne road is terrible looking also. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Ripping out the seating in the lower canal and replacing it with standing would be a top plan, actually. You could fit in another 5,000 people. You could use those rail seats they have in Dortmund and increase capacity without great difficulty.

This would be great.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

GAA looking to expand Croke Park 

Can anyone buy social housing from the state to build commercial property on or is that right restricted to the GAA? Like the PuC development which saw a CPO on another sports facilities to be handed to the GAA, there is a stench off this one too.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:42am
Rossie's suggestion earlier about retaining the Hill as a terrace whilst completing a wrap-round of seating in a tier over it is about the best solution. The Hill is all about history & tradition and as others have said adds a certain quirk of interest that alot of these join-the-dots type stadiums nowadays lack. It does look a little incongruous tho in it's appearance, but thats a reason to re-model not demolish it.
In reality, Croker's capacity is too large, 60k would have been sufficient. But Wembley is also only filled once or twice a year and for some reason you hear less complaint's.

As a pedantic aside, why do some people continue to refer to Lansdowne Road as "The Aviva"?? That is a very recent and temporary commercial name. I can understand the FAI and even media using that name for Legal reasons, but ordinary Irish football supporters?? 
Would Liverpool fans refer to Anfield by a corporate name if their club was temporarily sponsored by a Breakfast Cereal or brand of Toilet Paper? The All Bran Kop? The Fields of Andrex Road

**I am NOT by the way trying to draw an analogy between Liverpool Football Club and a mucky arse.
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 12:37pm
if they do expand croke it gives them an excuse for dublin never playing an away game in their lives again! LOL
put em under pressure!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

As a pedantic aside, why do some people continue to refer to Lansdowne Road as "The Aviva"?? That is a very recent and temporary commercial name. I can understand the FAI and even media using that name for Legal reasons, but ordinary Irish football supporters?? 
If Aviva pay the money I'll call it whatever they want. More money to grassroots football/rugby/CEO Wages Thumbs Up

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Both Croke Park and Lansdowne look sh*t IMO. Croke Park looks unfinished with the Nally Terrace and Hill 16. The North Stand in Lansdowne road is terrible looking also. 
I think "completed" stadiums like the Emirates look rubbish. Much prefer a stadium that has a distinguishing feature.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

If Aviva pay the money I'll call it whatever they want. More money to grassroots football/rugby/CEO Wages Thumbs Up

Strange post. 

As I said previously, I can understand why the FAI & Media,etc would officially & publically endorse it as "The AVIVA" in press releases etc, even tho they would, I presume, call it by it's proper name amongst themselves privately. But I'm confused, how does calling it "The Aviva" chatting amongst your mates or on a forum etc rather than what the ground has actually always been known as for over a hundred years suddenly bring more money to grassroots football???? When you say the word "AVIVA" in conversation down the pub does a money tree for grassroots football suddenly appear on the counter? I'm gonna try this at the weekend.

Apologies to others for going a bit off topic, but I've been going to that ground for nearly 30 years since I was a kid with alot of happy memories and suddenly calling it after a corporate entity jars with me.

Edited by Madferret - 11 Dec 2014 at 1:39pm
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 2:13pm

Each to their own an all that ferret. Whether it is named after a former UK prime minister or an insurance company makes little difference to me personally.

Besides, it is certainly different enough from the old Lansdowne Road to no longer warrant calling it that. The atmospheres in the respective stadiums are incomparable sadly, although I do think visually speaking the Aviva looks better. Nearly all stadiums these days have corporate names as well, don't they? That's just the way she goes I'm afraid.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 2:43pm

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Strange post. </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">As I said previously, I can understand why the FAI & Media,etc would officially & publically endorse it as "The AVIVA" in press releases etc, even tho they would, I presume, call it by it's proper name amongst themselves privately. But </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'm confused, how does calling it "The Aviva" chatting amongst your mates or on a forum etc rather than what the ground has actually always been known as for over a hundred years suddenly bring more money to grassroots football???? When you say the word "AVIVA" in conversation down the pub does a money tree for grassroots football suddenly appear on the counter? I'm gonna try this at the weekend.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Apologies to others for going a bit off topic, but I've been going to that ground for nearly 30 years since I was a kid with alot of happy memories and suddenly calling it after a corporate entity jars with me.</span>

All sorts of clappy handy smilies
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 2:47pm

Strange post. 

As I said previously, I can understand why the FAI & Media,etc would officially & publically endorse it as "The AVIVA" in press releases etc, even tho they would, I presume, call it by it's proper name amongst themselves privately. But I'm confused, how does calling it "The Aviva" chatting amongst your mates or on a forum etc rather than what the ground has actually always been known as for over a hundred years suddenly bring more money to grassroots football???? When you say the word "AVIVA" in conversation down the pub does a money tree for grassroots football suddenly appear on the counter? I'm gonna try this at the weekend.

Apologies to others for going a bit off topic, but I've been going to that ground for nearly 30 years since I was a kid with alot of happy memories and suddenly calling it after a corporate entity jars with me.
I can understand traditionalists who won't want to change the name, but to me it's a completly different stadium, which happened to share the same piece of land. Just as The O2/Three Arena is completly different to The Point Depot.

Bizzare comment re the money tree, you can give it a go, but I doubt it will work. Let us know. However, if Aviva give money to someone to put their name on something, and that money ends up financing something good, then that does work (see the majority of major stadiums in the world.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic