Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=43037
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 6:18am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Aviva Vs Croke Park
Posted By: theheff1989
Subject: Aviva Vs Croke Park
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
What are the pros and cons of both stadiums. Pros of Croke park are capacity although rarely full, a terrace, big area were food and drinks are. Cons: location not much around there. Lack of atmosphere.

Aviva: cons Lower tiers not steep enough, too many preminum seats, area were food and drink is to pokey.
Pros: close to the pitch ,signing section

Replies:
Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:04pm
Would think Croke Park is a better location that Lansdowne myself. Shorter distance to walk from the centre of town.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:05pm
They'll both be lovely stadiums when they're finished!!Wink

-------------
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Would think Croke Park is a better location that Lansdowne myself. Shorter distance to walk from the centre of town.

Meant surrounding area, some dogy characters around there.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:12pm
Right so, bit of a sh*thole alright but in over 20 years of going to Croker, I've never had a bit of hassle.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:14pm
Same as that, going since 97 never been a problem.

Posted By: MaradonaSeven
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

What are the pros and cons of both stadiums. Pros of Croke park are capacity although rarely full, a terrace, big area were food and drinks are. Cons: location not much around there. Lack of atmosphere.

Aviva: cons Lower tiers not steep enough, too many preminum seats, area were food and drink is to pokey.

Ever been an all-Ireland final day. Croke Park wasnt the reason there was no atmosphere. sh*te attendances were.

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:28pm
Year before last, after a Dubs game I saw some knacker cycled up beside some guy on his phone and swiped it right out of his hand.

Croker after a game you'd have to go back into town for pints. A few more options around Lansdowne.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:31pm
Prefer the aviva for the football. The football pitch so far in from the stand looked cat at croke park. i hated going to Ireland matches there

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Year before last, after a Dubs game I saw some knacker cycled up beside some guy on his phone and swiped it right out of his hand.

Croker after a game you'd have to go back into town for pints. A few more options around Lansdowne.

plenty of places to drink around croker .drank in a good few pubs around there before and after games and never had any hassle.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:38pm
Croke Park pitch too big and not suitable for football really.  Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Shebber
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Croke Park pitch too big and not suitable for football really.  Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

+ 1. Why can't we build and complete a proper stadium in this country.

-------------
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by MaradonaSeven MaradonaSeven wrote:

Ever been an all-Ireland final day. Croke Park wasnt the reason there was no atmosphere. sh*te attendances were.

Been to good few hurling ones. And the two hurling final this year had good athmosphere, especially the Galway fans. But I fell Croke Paek too big for an atmosphere to develop.

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Shebber Shebber wrote:

+ 1. Why can't we build and complete a proper stadium in this country.

Why does nobody in Ireland own proper rain gear?

[sees poxy ad one more time, grabs shotgun, places barrel in mouth, pulls trigger til it goes click]

-------------

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:08pm

Been to good few hurling ones. And the two hurling final this year had good athmosphere, especially the Galway fans. But I fell Croke Paek too big for an atmosphere to develop.

Great set of lads those guys are Between themselves and Kilkenny they brought 22,000 to the Leinster final. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:11pm
When you compare lanesdown Rd or Croker to the millennium stadium they are very poor. Millennium stadium cost about half what lanesdown rd cost.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
What was the difference in average wages between when the Millenium and the New Lansdowne was built. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
I'm guessing Dublin is the only city in the world that has two potentially world class stadiums within a few km's of each other, but both can't be completed because of resident issues with light?

Landsdowne cons: it looks like a bed pan.
Landsdowne pros: it's home, and hallowed ground.

Croker cons: risk of being murdered.
Croker pros: can't think of any.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

When you compare lanesdown Rd or Croker to the millennium stadium they are very poor. Millennium stadium cost about half what lanesdown rd cost.

Favourite stadium to watch football. Absolute quality.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

What are the pros and cons of both stadiums. Pros of Croke park are capacity although rarely full, a terrace, big area were food and drinks are. Cons: location not much around there. <FONT #000000??>Lack of atmosphere.

Great set of lads those guys are Between themselves and Kilkenny they brought 22,000 to the Leinster final. 

I was at that too Wexford minors playing that day. The crowd was desperate. The bandwagoners fans then Baldrick.

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
They're both great for what they are intended for (ie Croker great for GAA, crap for football; Aviva great for football, crap for NFL). I think the aviva feels a little "cheaper" (seats/stairs/bars) than Croker, but being closer to the action is a big plus. The atmosphere in both is great if the action on the field is living up to it.

Wouldn't have any problem with the location of either, plenty of boozers around both.

Feckin delighted I live in a city with these two magnificant stadia

Posted By: flick
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm
I think the atmosphere at the Italy qualifier and France playoffs were better than any atmosphere at Lansdowne

-------------
GWAN YBIG

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:59pm

Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

Where do you want us to play our games? Richmond Park? You'll be on top of the pitch, they'll need about 10 balls to finish the game, but one end is called "the shed", with half the roof of it demolished. You'll fork €15 out to stand in that tip every time.

We pay fair prices to go to Lansdowne, we deserve some comfort for it. It won't be "soulless" for the Poland game, but rather too much "Polska BC" Confused for my liking.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

I think the atmosphere at the Italy qualifier and France playoffs were better than any atmosphere at Lansdowne

France probably best I've ever seen

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
Both average stadiums IMO
Both could have been so much better

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Aviva not tight enough for my liking. Actually I dont like Lansdowne at all. I hate them white pipes under the roof. It looks crap and the north stand is pathetic.  The corporate section is way too big and its a soulless stadium.

Where do you want us to play our games? Richmond Park? You'll be on top of the pitch, they'll need about 10 balls to finish the game, but one end is called "the shed", with half the roof of it demolished. You'll fork €15 out to stand in that tip every time.

We pay fair prices to go to Lansdowne, we deserve some comfort for it. It won't be "soulless" for the Poland game, but rather too much "Polska BC" Confused for my liking.

I think the design could have been much better. For starters the stands are still too far from the pitch imo, the north end is sh*te and them white pipes look horrendous and blocks the spectators view of other fans.  The corporate section is too big.  I have been in the Millenium stadium and that is much much better. Its tight and the atmosphere is way better. We should have built a smaller version, 40,000 capacity stadium with fook all corporate seats (ideally none) and have it built with atmosphere in mind. The aviva was built for rugby to be honest.  Very big corporate sectors, with business in mind not atmosphere.  Someone said the aviva was built to have good acoustics. Thats a load of rubbish. You cant hear the PA for god's sake and the atmosphere is shocking. As someone said the lower terraces could have been made a bit steeper. It's a functional arena thats all that can be said for it. Might win awards for architecture but it wont win any rewards on or off the pitch for atmosphere. 

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Both average stadiums IMO
Both could have been so much better

In what way, I like that croke park has terrace but my ideal one would be like Dortmunds one.

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:57pm
I would love to nuke both Lansdowne Road and Croke Park, I also hate ****s who call a football ground after a sponsor AngryAngryAngryAngry

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:27pm
+1

-------------

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:51pm
You cant compere two stadia that were built for different purposes Croke park is a tremendous stadium built for and used by an amateur association and no better place to be when its near a full house Down or Dublin games Thumbs Up a statistic used in local gaa circles is that it only breaks even when the attendance is over 26000 people - The GAA shouldnt be about money and Croker should be used for all GAA showcase games no matter the code regardless of attendance -Never had any bother around the pubs be it Cat and Cage / Kennedy's / Skylon -Northside or the Big tree / Meaghers / etc etc on the other side - as for the new Aviva dont know much about that side of town apart from Clann na Gael fontenoys 3 euro a pint midweek - the vintage - the old jurys hotels x 3 but as a stadium not the best ive ever been in

-------------

Posted By: GreenArmy!
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:00pm
Croke Park:
Pros:Capacity very high
nice to see a terrace,even if its not symetrical to the rest of the ground
when full makes incredible noise.

Cons:To people outside of Ireland such as away fans in the football it seemed like a temporary stand.
  And playing surface too big for football

Lansdowne:
Pros:Very nice and modern looking
Good facilities
The fact that there is a section where you can stand,sing and shout (SS)

Cons:The north stand!would have been nice to see a two tier end or something along those lines not so much a carbon copy of the south but definitely not the half-arsed north stand we have         now
As somebody said above it can be quite soulless.
and of course the sponsored name.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm
Aviva doesn't have nice facilities. Crap, tight entrances for the jacks, massive queues for the shops and bars that don't open for soccer matches. I know they open for rugby matches, but frankly they could be used as shops during the soccer matches selling far more than they do. The queues are terrible at the shops for football matches, way worse than at rugby matches (i've been twice) even when the attendance is the same.

-------------

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:03pm
I am happy that I will never need to go back to Croke Park again Big smile

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:08pm

I find Lansdowne road very cramped in the concourse area and not nearly enough toilets. TBH they were probably better off building a new stadium on a green field site, which they will probably have to after this version of Lansdowne Road is expired.

The queues for booze at rugby matches is actually alright. Food is no goer for rugby or football. 

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:08pm
What's the deal with the toilets in LR they are so cramped and pokey. Is this the same all over only been in the south stand., cant remember what they like in east stand.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm

What's the deal with the toilets in LR they are so cramped and pokey. Is this the same all over only been in the south stand., cant remember what they like in east stand.

I was in the east stand before and its still the same. Even in the premium area in the South there are huge queues.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

I was in the east stand before and its still the same. Even in the premium area in the South there are huge queues.

There are a few staff toilets about and they're never locked. There are that many people milling about at half time it's easy enough to sneak in and out Wink - and they're marked with the words "staff toilet".

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:17pm

Honestly like the people who designed the place must have been on the babycham or something.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:19pm

Honestly like the people who designed the place must have been on the babycham or something.

Tis bonkers, alright. Couldn't wrap my head around it first time I was there and still can't to this day.

How somebody could f**k up the design of public toilets in a stadium that badly is beyond me.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There are a few staff toilets about and they're never locked. There are that many people milling about at half time it's easy enough to sneak in and out Wink - and they're marked with the words "staff toilet".

I like to keep that little trick as quiet as possible Big smile

Its defo a life saver for a man that suffers from stage fright. Its either the cubicles or the staff jacks for me Cry

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:40pm
Gdansk was far worse, Toilets were a disgrace

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:50pm
Not as bad as the ones on the square, got a mother of a nose bleed and went into it and no toilet roll. Had use my tshirt, so that covered in blood, and the crazy police looking at me. Throw the tshirt away and busted the beer out if it.

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:55pm
Personally dont like the New Lansdowne, not that it will ever deter me from going, apart from the last 20 minutes v Russia, the atmosphere is terrible, but i cant blame the stadium for thatDisapprove things can only get better, BTW Being a small fella toilets suit perfectlyWink Da Scientist loves them apparently

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

What was the difference in average wages between when the Millenium and the New Lansdowne was built. 
Did something productive with my time. Millenium opened in 1999 and Aviva opened in 2010.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:58pm
GDP takes account of multinational profits which aren't necessarily reinvested in the Irish economy. What you really need is median (not mean) wages cos that will show what the middle of the road man was making.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:27pm
Penn tables don't have GNP or GNI data have to use World bank data for that.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:09pm

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:46pm
Question anyone know why there was dugouts in croke park when Ireland played there even doh there was plenty space in the hogan stand, that's were the GAA subs be.

Posted By: dickybhoy
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 12:15am
the toilets are crap at Landsdowne, you queue to get in then have to go back past people to get out. At wembley theres one entrance to go in and then another one to get out.

The stewards are crap there as well, at the cup final in 2010 three different stewards all showed us to different seats. Just found them ourselves in the end.  Some of the stewards said there was no allocated seats and sit where you wanted.

The entrances are really small as well.  We were in the front row it takes along time to get back out. 
Would hate to think what it would be like in an emergency trying to get out of there.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 12:22am
Croke Park is a shocking stadium to watch a football match in.

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 12:23am
must say the premium and corporate facilities at the Aviva are the best iv have seen and are a credit to the FAI

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 6:50am

Question anyone know why there was dugouts in croke park when Ireland played there even doh there was plenty space in the hogan stand, that's were the GAA subs be.
Proabably because they would be so far from the pitch. You generally see dugouts like that in most stadiums where the stands are a good bit back from the sideline

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:17am
Originally posted by dickybhoy dickybhoy wrote:

the toilets are crap at Landsdowne, you queue to get in then have to go back past people to get out. At wembley theres one entrance to go in and then another one to get out.

Yep that's a big one for me also . Now at Turf Moor they have the same where you have an in and out wrote up in big massive letters , it's just so many people from the Burnley area can't read and it's mayhem at HT .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: LeinsterScout
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:55am
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

must say the premium and corporate facilities at the Aviva are the best iv have seen and are a credit to the FAI

Totally agree my waterford mate.  Pity the lads in Munster do not look afer the Waterford goys like they should.  Great that you feel at home at the home of Irish rugby. 

See you there for the spit roast against England  maybe

-------------
You do not have to be camp to be in camp

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 1:52pm

I haven't been in the corporate in Lansdowne but I though the premium was shocking compared to Croker, basically just another concrete tier and even plastic cups for beer. The premium in Croker is like a hotel, leather couches everywhere, paintings, carvery's and most importantly, proper pint glasses.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: passionbeyondreason
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 1:55pm
both stadiums look 3 quarters of a super stadium then the other quarter looks like tallaght stadium real shame as lansdowne was the before the people if they dont like it they know what to do

-------------
The nation holds it breath..

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I haven't been in the corporate in Lansdowne but I though the premium was shocking compared to Croker, basically just another concrete tier and even plastic cups for beer. The premium in Croker is like a hotel, leather couches everywhere, paintings, carvery's and most importantly, proper pint glasses.

I've been in the "10 year tickets" sections of both and Croker is much much nicer, as saucy says much more like a "upmarket" section of the ground rather than just another level of the ground.

Never been in Corporate boxes in either.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:10pm
Wait..... the pints in the premium in LR are glass, no? They were for the FAI cup final, iirc.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wait..... the pints in the premium in LR are glass, no? They were for the FAI cup final, iirc.

Plastic for the Czech Friendly last year.

Posted By: kevincronin2000
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:56pm
plastic in level 3 premium, glass level 4 coporate boxes

-------------
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 4:42pm
Was in the the presidents pre match banquet before the Germany game. Plastic glasses and only finger food. Free wine if your into it and a pre match show of representatives of various clubs licking JDs hole.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 4:49pm

Very important for a cultured man like you.   Wink

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Was in the the presidents pre match banquet before the Germany game. Plastic glasses and only finger food. Free wine if your into it and a pre match show of representatives of various clubs licking JDs hole.
Was at the Presidents dinner befor Germany game in Croke Pk a few years ago.
4 course meal and as much booze as you could drink Those be the days

-------------

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:05pm
I'm in the premium section every home game in the Aviva and i must say it's top notch, the only downside is you cannot bring a pint down with you to your seat. I always sneak one under my jacket or under my top so i won't complain!

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I'm in the premium section every home game in the Aviva and i must say it's top notch, the only downside is you cannot bring a pint down with you to your seat. I always sneak one under my jacket or under my top so i won't complain!

Green devil has the green dollors.   

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:24pm
Security doesn't seem to be great in the aviva either. Brought my gear bag after the fans game all the way to the presidents pre match reception. Was just left in the coat room. Wasn't checked once! There could of been a bomb in it for all they knew.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Just walked straight past ur one last time was with ya there, pint was 6.50 tho..

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 10:43pm
myself and Deise316 were lucky enough to enjoy the comforts of the one of the boxs, friendly barman even brought the pints out to us in our seats LOL

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 11:19am
Alan Quinlan has a go at the Aviva today http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0213/1224329981475.html" rel="nofollow - in the papar . Talks about there being too many fancy areas which distract people from the game and ruin the atmosphere. Most of the comments seem to agree with him.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 11:51am
Went to one game in the premium section at LR. Didn't enjoy me time there, although been able to get a pint was a plus. Far too many planks who knew feckall about football.

Croker looks rubbish from anywhere looking at the hill.
As a southsider, Croker is a little more awkward to get to, but for location, both stadia are very easily accessed.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 12:55pm
Croker:
Pros: Big capacity if needed for a big game. Few decent boozers nearby. Closer walking distance from the city. Bit more space around the service areas and generally shorter queues.
Cons: Capacity too big for most internationals. Atmosphere is kind of lost to the open air. Pitch so far away from the stands. Area is a bit more dodgy walking through late at night. Looks half finished

Landsdowne:
Pros: Location pretty sweet as well. Close to the pitch. Easier to get in and out of the stadium. Singing Section.
Cons: Far too much Premium. North stand looks silly. Space in the service areas really tight and massive queues.

Overall I still prefer Landsdowne for soccer. I think  it has potential to be rocking for really big games or if the team give us something to shout about

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:33pm
In the old LR there used be a pitch beside it, what is there now.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:36pm
Croker: Completely unsuitable for football, crowd miles away from the action.  Pubs are dumps and smell of nearby Bohs/Shels palpable. Thumbs Down

Lansdowne (not Aviva).   Made for football, crowd near the action.  Pubs are better and smell of nearby Milltown brings tears to a seagull. Thumbs Up

That's all.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Dukla
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:39pm
Prefer Croker to the new LR stadium but not the old one.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm

Still a big pitch between Landsdown and the River behind the East Stand

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Croker: Completely unsuitable for football, crowd miles away from the action.  Pubs are dumps and smell of nearby Bohs/Shels palpable. Thumbs Down

Lansdowne (not Aviva).   Made for football, crowd near the action.  Pubs are better and smell of nearby Milltown brings tears to a seagull. Thumbs Up

That's all.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Still a big pitch between Landsdown and the River behind the East Stand

Thought it was gone.

Posted By: uibhfhaile
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Shebber Shebber wrote:

They'll both be lovely stadiums when they're finished!!Wink
love itLOLLOL

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:16pm
Dont think its the most popular opinion on here but i love the aviva. It looks classy when you re approaching the west stand before the railway crossing. i love the shape of it but its a pity the small stand is that low but what can ya do.the pubs are nice around the aviva and its in a nice part of Dublin.

I do think there'll be an improvement in the atmosphere when trap goes. his style of football sucks any life out of the place.

Freewheeler is spot on about Croker. I dont even think its a nice stadium at all and the less said about the pubs around it the better. the smell of sh*t of buffers when i went into quinns was rank.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: kimbap
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Dont think its the most popular opinion on here but i love the aviva. It looks classy when you re approaching the west stand before the railway crossing. i love the shape of it but its a pity the small stand is that low but what can ya do.the pubs are nice around the aviva and its in a nice part of Dublin.

I do think there'll be an improvement in the atmosphere when trap goes. his style of football sucks any life out of the place.

Freewheeler is spot on about Croker. I dont even think its a nice stadium at all and the less said about the pubs around it the better. the smell of sh*t of buffers when i went into quinns was rank.

Westport man goes to Dublin and is put of by the smell of Buffs in the pubs! ffsLOL

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:19pm

That's all.

I couldn't disagree more. Not contest for me, croker wins hands down for pubs. This is what I'm basing it on.

Baggot St / Ballsbridge is a posh rugby focused area, and always has been. I used to drink in The Den and Cullens (yes I'm aware who owns it) mainly in the old LR days and both of those boozers (along with many more) used to put 50c on the price of a pint on match days. And more often than not you used to end up getting pints in plastic cups, even if drinking inside. I'm 10 years drinking in the Hill on Gardiner St before and after games and have never once been given a plastic cup, and I still think that its only about €4.50 a pint.

Quinns, The Big Tree, Meaghers etc,  all big pubs which accomodate a match crowd within a couple of minutes walk of Croker and you can guaruntee there will be a big crowd in them, no need to organise meets on the internet to help get a crowd in.

2 completely different areas but I'd rather drink around Croker anyday than join the indoor scarf wearing brigade in D4.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:48pm

That's all.

I couldn't disagree more. Not contest for me, croker wins hands down for pubs. This is what I'm basing it on.

Baggot St / Ballsbridge is a posh rugby focused area, and always has been. I used to drink in The Den and Cullens (yes I'm aware who owns it) mainly in the old LR days and both of those boozers (along with many more) used to put 50c on the price of a pint on match days. And more often than not you used to end up getting pints in plastic cups, even if drinking inside. I'm 10 years drinking in the Hill on Gardiner St before and after games and have never once been given a plastic cup, and I still think that its only about €4.50 a pint.

Quinns, The Big Tree, Meaghers etc,  all big pubs which accomodate a match crowd within a couple of minutes walk of Croker and you can guaruntee there will be a big crowd in them, no need to organise meets on the internet to help get a crowd in.

2 completely different areas but I'd rather drink around Croker anyday than join the indoor scarf wearing brigade in D4.
Agree completely

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
Im with Sausy on this one. Boozers around Croker are quality and good selection. We start from Smyth's in Fairview, there's also Gaffney's, Meaghars and Clonliffe House if you are coming up from Fairview, with Fairview Park for cans if the weather is good. Then Jury's, Big Tree, Fagans, Cat and Cage, Quinn's on the other side. 

The new Lansdowne just isnt intimidating enough. I far preferred the old run down stadium. It was a dump, but it was our dump that had character

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Im with Sausy on this one. Boozers around Croker are quality and good selection. We start from Smyth's in Fairview, there's also Gaffney's, Meaghars and Clonliffe House if you are coming up from Fairview, with Fairview Park for cans if the weather is good. Then Jury's, Big Tree, Fagans, Cat and Cage, Quinn's on the other side. 

The new Lansdowne just isnt intimidating enough. I far preferred the old run down stadium. It was a dump, but it was our dump that had character

this Clap

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:55pm

That's all.

That's traitorous, that is sausy!Cry

-------------

Posted By: roverstillidie
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:59pm
Croker is home to a sports organisation that practices bigotry and sporting apartheit. As such its a grey, bleak place in a slum. Does the job fine for the agrisports.

Lansdowne is a far newer, cleaner, brighter build in a far more fitting part of town for the national game.

Croker does have some nice touches in the premium level, I have actually seen people reading books in the leather chairs where it is quiet when the game was on. But overall the new LR is a better build with better views on a far better pitch.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:04pm
Croker has character and atmosphe (when its full)
Landsdowne did as well
The Aviva doesn't

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:09pm
Well Croker is full twice a year when all the 'volunteers' of the Gah scalp their tickets, so I will have to take your word for it.

It depends on what you call atmosphere. Some middle aged farmers with string on their hats shouting racial abuse at the referee isn't to me an atmosphere. The cup final between Rovers and Sligo was.

The Irish fans haven't given the place a proper baptism wheres the LoI and rugby fans have. That says more about them then the stadium.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Croker has character and atmosphe (when its full)
Landsdowne did as well
The Aviva doesn't

100% true.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Well Croker is full twice a year when all the 'volunteers' of the Gah scalp their tickets, so I will have to take your word for it.

It depends on what you call atmosphere. Some middle aged farmers with string on their hats shouting racial abuse at the referee isn't to me an atmosphere. The cup final between Rovers and Sligo was.

The Irish fans haven't given the place a proper baptism wheres the LoI and rugby fans have. That says more about them then the stadium.

LOL

Which race do they insult?
Do Cavan people have their own race?

Posted By: Steve Amsterdam
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:16pm

+1

Think many of here agree on that. Still prefer the new LR over Croker too. Pubwise it's all the same for me, as long as it's not in cups I'm easy. 

-------------
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:17pm

Copyright GD.

Come on Ritd,

With some extra training you could really push on

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:23pm

Didn't I not read about a load of racist abuse dished out recently in the Gah who tried to suppress it, but the players in question aren't playing ball?

Either way, it is a hive of thuggery, villany and hate. And not in a good way.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:26pm

oh right, thought you meant specifically abuse toward the ref.

bit odd as a soccer fan that your criticising the gah for having racism problems

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:27pm

Didn't I not read about a load of racist abuse dished out recently in the Gah who tried to suppress it, but the players in question aren't playing ball?

Don't forget your obligatory child sex abuse references as well,

That's it,keep going,you'll get there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

[Don't forget your obligatory child sex abuse references as well,

To be fair, the ongoing child abuse allegations emerging from within the Gah are all at club level and have nothing to do with Croke Park relative to the New Landsdowne Road.

Surprised and disappointed you brough it up though, its a low blow.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:31pm

oh right, thought you meant specifically abuse toward the ref.

bit odd as a soccer fan that your criticising the gah for having racism problems

Well football is a global game played and watched by billions. Stickswinging and bogballing are a minority sport in Ireland. Globally you will get more flutes. Thankfully football in Ireland has integrated the new Irish and immigrants very well and racism is not an issue. Pity the same can't be said about the agri sports.

Another advantage to Croker  - you can do ANYTHING in the place and the law or stewards won't intervene. From snorting coke in the open to attacking referees, anything goes. They tend to enforce the law of the land at football these days.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:39pm

Says yer man who's club pays Jason McGuinness and payed Chris Turner. 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:41pm

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

[Don't forget your obligatory child sex abuse references as well,

To be fair, the ongoing child abuse allegations emerging from within the Gah are all at club level and have nothing to do with Croke Park relative to the New Landsdowne Road.

Surprised and disappointed you brough it up though, its a low blow.

'Surprised and disappointed you brough it up',jaysus....

You bring it up in most of your anti GAA posts.You don't have to look far,is it a low blow then or just when i mentioned you failed to bring it up on this one?

'Globally you will get more flutes'
Nope I'd think the ratio will be fairly healthy with the likes of you around.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:47pm

Says yer man who's club pays Jason McGuinness and payed Chris Turner. 

Chris Turner was acquitted of any racial abuse, careful now.

As for McGuinness, isn't the point that he was dealt with immediately and severely. End of. The difference is the lack of reaction from the GAA. They don't do rules.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net