You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Podcasts I currently listen to:

Second Captains for sport and particularly Ken Early's rants - which contain more actual political knowledge than the vast majority of what you'll hear hear in political media

Gaslit Nation - this is a brilliant podcast about US politics, Trump and authoritarianism - you will not find a better one, it is relentlessly angry but pessimistic 

David McWilliams podcast - interesting ideas on economics

Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss - a new political podcast featuring the former Newsnight reporter, have found it quite good so far - lots of ideas and references about the arts in it as well

Behind The Bastards with Robert Evans - the bizarre true stories behind those who make up the world of right wing demagogues, charlatans and wreckers, and their ludicrous "talking points"

Ewan MacKenna's new podcast is not bad actually

Irish Times' Inside Politics podcast can be pretty good when the mood takes it

worst podcast out there. absolute ear burning stuff. Lads on Offtheball are streets ahead of it. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:55am
In order of ones I never miss to "when I have time".....
  • Totally Football Show - a must every Monday for me.
  • Revolutionist History - Malcolm Gladwell, podcast about a seemingly innocuous piece of history and the knock on effects on the world.
  • Stock Club - podcast about the stock market, makes me a bit of money usually.
  • Pivot - Scott Galloway looking at ongoings in the world and how it's going to shape the future (lots about the working from home revolution at the moment for example) 
  • Zonal Marking - in depth looks at some football teams/tournaments from history, how they were put together, how they played, etc
  • David McWilliams
  • The Bradley Wiggins Show and/or Cycling Podcast (only listen during grand tours)
  • Peter King podcast (only listen during NFL season)
  • Love the one-offs too like Serial, Gladiator, Stown, etc
I do a lot of jumping into podcasts too, if someone I like is appearing on Off the Ball, Big Red Bench, etc I'll just listen to that episode.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Second Captains for sport and particularly Ken Early's rants - which contain more actual political knowledge than the vast majority of what you'll hear hear in political media

Gaslit Nation - this is a brilliant podcast about US politics, Trump and authoritarianism - you will not find a better one, it is relentlessly angry but pessimistic 

Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss - a new political podcast featuring the former Newsnight reporter, have found it quite good so far - lots of ideas and references about the arts in it as well

Behind The Bastards with Robert Evans - the bizarre true stories behind those who make up the world of right wing demagogues, charlatans and wreckers, and their ludicrous "talking points"

worst podcast out there. absolute ear burning stuff. Lads on Offtheball are streets ahead of it. 
Like carving imaginary headstones around Ireland for no logical reason or explanation, other than there is an actual one for four famous dead American presidents?

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Like carving imaginary headstones around Ireland for no logical reason or explanation, other than there is an actual one for four famous dead American presidents?

I'd imagine that's more to do with the lack of sport over the last few months. Bit of a challenge for a podcast that deals primarily in sport.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:53am
That still doesn't explain the abject stupidity and irrelevance of the name! What has Mt. Rushmore got to do with sport in Ireland? They have, one assumes, taken an idea from American sports journalism, and one that doesn't make too much sense there, where the f**king thing is, and try to shoehorn it into Ireland without thinking.
****s.LOL
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:05am
They probably could have put a more Irish slant on it alright.

The sporting 'Corrs' of each county would have been a good one to do. The three best sportspeople and then the worst from each county.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

They probably could have put a more Irish slant on it alright.

The sporting 'Corrs' of each county would have been a good one to do. The three best sportspeople and then the worst from each county.
It is the problem with the lads involved in both main Irish sports podcasts. Everything seems to be taken from somewhere else, to the point where they are incapable of even renaming something. There's a dearth of creativity and innovation.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:35pm
The Paul Merson "Quickly Kevin" is a very funny listen Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:46pm
Ps, Gazza, what a ****
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

The Paul Merson "Quickly Kevin" is a very funny listen Clap
As annoying as he is as a pundit, he comes across as a very decent fella. He was a fine footballer too.
devondudley View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devondudley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:14pm
during the lockdown second captains podcasts have been brilliant, brian kerr and the sweet science book review was a great listen, they aint doing the typical review shows of best 11 of all times its all pretty good material 

louis theroux has a good podcast out at the minute and i like the ornstein and chapman football one bit more dept to it than the guardian one.

But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Ps, Gazza, what a ****

Big time. Mad hearing how he abused Five Bellies. A jokes a joke but throwing darts at him and smashing pool balls against his knuckles is just being a bullying arsehole. 
El Puto Amo
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Any one who has an interest in History should give Dan Carlin's Hardcore History a go. Think it's been recommended on here before but his series on the Mongols and WWI were excellent. Takes a lot of time to get through them though, 5-parters with each part being roughly 5 hours long.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:10am
Paul Merson was good on the Quickly Kevin podcast
Hard to believe he was on more in the championship for Middlesbrough than Arsenal’s highest earners at the time 

What other episodes are good of that pod?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Paul Merson was good on the Quickly Kevin podcast
Hard to believe he was on more in the championship for Middlesbrough than Arsenal’s highest earners at the time 

What other episodes are good of that pod?
The ones about Steve Bruce's attempts at literature are great. I have enjoyed most of them. Most of the footballers on have been candid and not taken themselves too seriously. Carlton Palmer's recent double episode was good. Stuart Pearce too.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:06am
Palmers was great. Really enjoyed it.
Pearce good too but not the guy I expected.
The film clubs are good too. Listened to Hot Shot yesterday. Was crying laughing at some of the reviews having seen the film myself when i was about 8/9.

Just stuck the Dave Beasant one on now.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:57am
Beasant  was very good too.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:19pm
The ones early in the series with James Richardson and Frank Skinner are good, as are the Quickly Kevin World Cup specials from 2018.  Also recommended is their recent takedown of the FIFA United Passions film.  But yes, give the Dara O' Briain on Republic of Ireland one a miss

Edited by newrynyuk - 31 May 2020 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 22>
  Share Topic