URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=42244
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 1:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Podcasts
Posted By: Sono
Subject: Podcasts
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:17pm
Anyone recommend any decent ones?

Only have a few myself, Sunday supplement is decent, newstalk ones aren't bad, seen some father Ted ones, is it the episodes with just sound?

Replies:
Posted By: coleman's
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:19pm
football weekly on the guardian is great, similar to off the ball

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by coleman's coleman's wrote:

football weekly on the guardian is great, similar to off the ball

Good shout, nice one

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:23pm
There is a thread on this somewhere I think.

I have

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo actually anything from BBC Five live is good

All the newstalk sports ones

Guardian Football Weekly

the times Football podcast

RTE ones. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:29pm
Cheers Baldy

Didnt realise there was another thread and never thought to search it.

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:58am
Currently listening to the 12th Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast, another 87 to go and a new one every week Big smile

-------------

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 11:13am
for music check out the NPR podcasts , loads of great stuff every week and a massive archive

tiny desk concert
all songs considered
live concerts from all songs considered  

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 9:12pm
The Joe Rogan Experience.Thumbs Up

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 1:57pm
The finale of Serial was out this morning. 12 episodes that analyse a murder which took place 15 years ago in Baltimore County. Worth a listen.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:39pm
Have subscribed to An Irishman Abroad with Jarlath Regan.

Graham Linehan and Ed Byrne the first two I've listened to, Dara O'Briain, Robert Sheehan, Dylan Moran, Tony Cascarino, Ardal O'Hanlon, Steve Collins, Jason McAteer and Johnny Vegas just some examples of others, enjoyed them so far

-------------

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:48pm
I listen to a podcast called Stuff you Missed in History Class. Its done by 2 american women. They are a bit annoying but some of the topics they cover are really interesting. They cover every aspect of history which is mostly unknown. Last night I listened to this one. It was interesting.

http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/nome-serum-run/" rel="nofollow - http://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts/nome-serum-run/

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 2:51pm
Cover every aspect of history. That must be one serious long podcast :)

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
No such thing as a fish.

Stuff you should know.

Irish history podcast.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

About as long as your boring posts Tongue

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Have subscribed to An Irishman Abroad with Jarlath Regan.

Graham Linehan and Ed Byrne the first two I've listened to, Dara O'Briain, Robert Sheehan, Dylan Moran, Tony Cascarino, Ardal O'Hanlon, Steve Collins, Jason McAteer and Johnny Vegas just some examples of others, enjoyed them so far

Highly recomend these.  Some really really good ones. Darren O'Dea one is good - lots about the maddness in Ukraine.  The Bressie one is pretty good as well - fairly emotional chat about mental health.  Chris O'Dowd one is very funny too.

I quite like the Radio 5 Live Film Review podcast with mark kermode.  Don't always agree with his movie reviews but enoy the podcast. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
I listen to podcasts on my commute really passes the time well. Some of my favourites are;

The comedy button -  which is run by some lads that do or used to work at IGN. Might not be to everyones tastes but I find it hilarious.
NFL rants and raves - Run by Steven Miranda who does the NFL reports on SSN
No such thing as a fish - By the QI researchers. Is short and interesting.
Freakonomics Radio - which looks at economics and research in a very interesting and easyily accessible way.
5 live world football phone in - great podcast by the bbc discussing football in South America, Europe and Africa.
The football attic - a gem of a podcast although there are long gaps between them about old football, Nostalgia and things like sticker albums, kits and subutteo.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

The finale of Serial was out this morning. 12 episodes that analyse a murder which took place 15 years ago in Baltimore County. Worth a listen.

Looking forward to listening to episode 12 on my way home Thumbs Up

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

GReat show Clap
4 remaining myself

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 7:37pm
No such thing as a fish is always good.

Football weekly and extra are superb. I occasionally listen to the world football phone in but they have so many irritating bastards. Just give Vickery a 45 minute show.
Alan Green's world football show is actually ok, for a **** I normally want to do time for.

Absolutely loved the genius of Mark Steel in town. Not sure if theyare all still available as podcasts. He does a few quality ones on history as well.

The Mr Bean podcast is class too.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

No such thing as a fish is always good.

Football weekly and extra are superb. I occasionally listen to the world football phone in but they have so many irritating bastards. Just give Vickery a 45 minute show.
Alan Green's world football show is actually ok, for a **** I normally want to do time for.

Absolutely loved the genius of Mark Steel in town. Not sure if theyare all still available as podcasts. He does a few quality ones on history as well.

The Mr Bean podcast is class too.

That's so true, there is some weird ****s that phone in to that podcast, I guess that's a symptom of the time of the morning it goes out at. Sometimes I feel like shouting get on with it at the fecking podcast in the car because it takes them so long to get a f**king question out. 

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 9:38pm
Some of the documentary on 1 podcasts from RTE were great and on a wide range of subjects.

While not being into canoeing or cycling I really enjoyed canoe bike.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_canoebike.xml

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: heighway2heaven
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 10:31pm
Best podcast I've happened upon recently is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The 4 parter on WWI is the most epic thing I've ever heard. Blew my mind.

Other than that, it's The Guardian's Football Weekly/Extra, JRE, Duncan Trussell, TAW, The Corbett Report and Second Captains. Gave up on that Football Ramble one. The host thinks he's James Richardson and the rest try too hard to be funny.

-------------
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

About as long as your boring posts Tongue

That's harsh Sasa , you can't really say whether bald ricks posts are boring or interesting, you can't just discern something straight off, you need to evaluate, check both sides of the story , looks at it from both angles, nothing is exactly as it seems , things far away can seem smaller, you can't judge a book by its cover , ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 8:08pm
Starting Serial now. Justice for Adnan.

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:12am
Bump

I’ve been listening to Peter Crouch and he is very good.
Refreshingly honest and seems a good guy.

Definitely worth a listen.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
West Cork Podcast is very good.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:10am
Any one in to history should listen to Fin Dwyer's Irish History podcast. In-depth content covering the last 1500 years of our history. When you listen to it, you just have to laugh at some of the spoof we learned in school.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is brilliant. Basically covers a topic over the course of 5 episodes. Wrath of Khan's (about Genghis Khan and the Mongols) and the WWI series are fantastic.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, The Magic Sponge is well worth listening to, especially the episodes with Graham Stack and Tony Warner, some of the stories are hilarious. Rob Beckett is one annoying c*nt though.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:13am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Best podcast I've happened upon recently is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The 4 parter on WWI is the most epic thing I've ever heard. Blew my mind.

Other than that, it's The Guardian's Football Weekly/Extra, JRE, Duncan Trussell, TAW, The Corbett Report and Second Captains. Gave up on that Football Ramble one. The host thinks he's James Richardson and the rest try too hard to be funny.

Just noticed you had already posted this in the thread. Cannot be over stated how good it is.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:14am

The Joe Rogan Experience.Thumbs Up

You were well ahead of the curve H2H Clap

-------------

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Just noticed you had already posted this in the thread. Cannot be over stated how good it is.

sound! going to check this out! Clap

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:36am
I'll defo check out Hardcore Histories. Sounds very interesting. 

If you're in the market for lighthearted nonsense, then I can recommend Atletico Mince. The format is pretty simple, you have Bob Mortimer (of Shooting Stars fame) and Andy Dawson talking absolute bollox for about 40 minutes. It’s mainly a bit of sl*gging and comedy improv. There’s a very tenuous link to football and some of the jokes don’t work but overall it is a bit of fun. It’s switch your brain off stuff.

Some of Blindboy Boatclubs Podcasts are very good too. I really enjoyed the history of disco one where he argued credibly that its origins were much more punk than any other form of music. His mental health episodes are defo worth a listen also.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

If you're in the market for lighthearted nonsense, then I can recommend Atletico Mince. The format is pretty simple, you have Bob Mortimer (of Shooting Stars fame) and Andy Dawson talking absolute bollox for about 40 minutes. It’s mainly a bit of sl*gging and comedy improv. There’s a very tenuous link to football and some of the jokes don’t work but overall it is a bit of fun. It’s switch your brain off stuff.

Some of Blindboy Boatclubs Podcasts are very good too. I really enjoyed the history of disco one where he argued credibly that its origins were much more punk than any other form of music. His mental health episodes are defo worth a listen also.

Some class episodes alright. The ones on the Vietnam war, gin history, poitin, and tragic dog history are class. 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:07am

Some class episodes alright. The ones on the Vietnam war, gin history, poitin, and tragic dog history are class. 
Himself interviewing Spike Lee is brilliant listening 

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:13am

Any one in to history should listen to Fin Dwyer's Irish History podcast. In-depth content covering the last 1500 years of our history. When you listen to it, you just have to laugh at some of the spoof we learned in school.

I have listened to a good few of these, they really are brilliant. He has a great style of delivery which really helps.

I was never a fan of Maeve O'Higgins comedy, but her podcast 'Maeve in America' used to be really enjoyable.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Bump

I’ve been listening to Peter Crouch and he is very good.
Refreshingly honest and seems a good guy.

Definitely worth a listen.

Yeah he's very good, hilarious f**ker too

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:47am
Just looking at my previous answers and the only one I still listen to is nfl rants and raves.

I would say podcasts and the fact that I'm an old **** is now why I don't recognise any new music. I cna't remember the last time I listened to the radio.

On my current rotation:

I'm alive - it's like a old style radio play about zombies (overdone I know but I enjoy it and they are short episodes)

The phenomenon - This is really good, very suspensful thriller about a strange attack on earht based on a badly written ebook available on amazon. The podcast is really well done. Season 2 is about to come out.

The dollop - I love this, it's two lads going through funny stories in american history. The lads can get annoying but the stories are normally good. They had one where they explained about why women weren't allowed to run in long distance races until the 60's and how the organiser of one marathon though that a woman's uterus would fall out if they ran that far.

The adventure zone and MBMBAM from the Mcillroy brothers.

Old school wrestling review - is 3 lads from Dublin that go through and take the piss out of old wrestling from the Hulk Hogan era.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Excellent podcast. New series of Serial recently started too and is also very good. 

The Blindboy podcast is absolutely brilliant too. Essential listening for me at this stage. The Guardian football podcast is one of my favourites too. Thought once James Richardson left it would hit the skids but I think o actually prefer this new version.

For anybody into golf I'd recommend The Cut or newstalks golf weekly pod both very good too

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Croftman
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:07pm
Yeah the Crouch ones are very good, definitely worth a listen
Will look up the history ones Thumbs Up

-------------
Some people just deserve a slap

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

The Blindboy podcast is absolutely brilliant too.

It was, the last few haven't been too great though.   He is getting a little bit full of his own "creativity" the last while.   
There was a few months though where they were class, off the wall but great story telling of sorts.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:16pm

Anywhere to listen to that free yet? Already used my amazon free trial

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:16pm

What episode numbers are they? Cant find them on the back catalog

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anywhere to listen to that free yet? Already used my amazon free trial
The free trial is with Audible not Amazon so you should be ok

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

The Blindboy podcast is absolutely brilliant too.

It was, the last few haven't been too great though.   He is getting a little bit full of his own "creativity" the last while.   
There was a few months though where they were class, off the wall but great story telling of sorts.
The Cognitive psychology ones?? Found them fascinating but maybe that's just because I've always been keen to explore that type of thinking.

His latest podcast with David McWilliams is absolutely brilliant. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: cullenswood
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:07pm

The Cognitive psychology ones?? Found them fascinating but maybe that's just because I've always been keen to explore that type of thinking.

His latest podcast with David McWilliams is absolutely brilliant. 

I'd have a bit of an interest in that alright, but found them a bit much.    He did little 10 / 15 min bits in the middle of other podcasts on that topic, and that was interesting.   But 3 in a row on it I didn't like.    Only half way through the McWilliams one and it is definitely back to the good stuff alright.

You do have to take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt though.    A good chunk is "nearly" right, in that if you do a quick bit of research you will find he is often talking through his hole, but he is pretty funny all the same.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What episode numbers are they? Cant find them on the back catalog

Just checked there and they're still up on it. The episodes are called Blueprint for Armageddon.

For the Genghis Khan one's, I had to go to his website and pay to download them. €10 for 5 episodes but well worth it considering it's over 15 hours of content.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:24pm

Just checked there and they're still up on it. The episodes are called Blueprint for Armageddon.

There seems to be 6 episodes named that. All over 3 hours each?

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:27pm
Ye all very content heavy. To be fair for the WWI podcast, he spends the first episode looking at the lead up to the outbreak of the war and the state of Europe at the time, which is very interesting as I hadn't much knowledge of it before.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:31pm

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is brilliant. Basically covers a topic over the course of 5 episodes. Wrath of Khan's (about Genghis Khan and the Mongols) and the WWI series are fantastic.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, The Magic Sponge is well worth listening to, especially the episodes with Graham Stack and Tony Warner, some of the stories are hilarious. Rob Beckett is one annoying c*nt though.

The Finn Dwyer podcast is brilliant 👍🏻👍🏻

Posted By: foggy.nelson
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 9:09pm
"History of the internet" podcast is great. I only have a passing interest in technology and got sucked in. Very interesting, the start is great nostalgia  for early internet users

Posted By: willGUFC
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:40pm
An Irishman Abroad has some good guests on it  every now and then, interviews with different well known Irish people, loads of sports stars have been on it talking about their upbringing and careers, A.p McCoy, Ronan O Gara, Paul McGrath, Kevin Kilbane 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:40am
Originally posted by willGUFC willGUFC wrote:

An Irishman Abroad has some good guests on it  every now and then, interviews with different well known Irish people, loads of sports stars have been on it talking about their upbringing and careers, A.p McCoy, Ronan O Gara, Paul McGrath, Kevin Kilbane 

Has some decent guests at times but Jarlath Regan is painful to listen to.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:05am

Has some decent guests at times but Jarlath Regan is painful to listen to.
Yeah, I tried listening to this before and couldn't for the same reason.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:50am
ya I was going to say that about Jarlath, it's a good idea for a podcast but its a pain listening to how he talks, hard to believe he does stand up comedy now, can't imagine how bad that would be 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:51am

ya I was going to say that about Jarlath, it's a good idea for a podcast but its a pain listening to how he talks, hard to believe he does stand up comedy now, can't imagine how bad that would be 

I get annoyed when he starts talking about Currency Fair.. .. Its just a sh*te Revolut 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: LO SCIENZIATO
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 10:52am

I get annoyed when he starts talking about Currency Fair.. .. Its just a sh*te Revolut 

LOL

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 11:10am

With every new podcast he seems to enjoy the Currency fair bit even more, anybody else would briefly mention it and that would keep them happy but he persists in bullsh*tting how great it is every time, I forgot to mention how annoying his laugh is, so forced 

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 11:21am
I fail to see how he could make a living from stand-up comedy. Tevez's term "bootlicker" springs to mind whenever I hear him ask a guest a question.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 4:11pm
Yeah it's a shame - great idea of a Podcast but he's pretty awful. You can tell he's reading questions off a piece of paper and he halts the flow of the conversation by reverting back to a question he didn't ask earlier. Some of his questions are awful too, you can almost hear the confusion in the guests' voice

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:08pm
Those Conspiracy Guys - The maddie McCann episode. Ridiculous how her parents haven't been charged over her disappearance. 

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:20pm
If they were working class they would still be in jail.

-------------

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:40pm
Mate of mine has started doing a podcast, now i was sceptical at first and only started on the 3rd episode but i must admit parts of them gave me a good laugh. Check it out if you're looking for a bit of a laugh and a not so serious podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6zFMPoYkeEqgYql7FD6YoM" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/show/6zFMPoYkeEqgYql7FD6YoM

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 2:01am
Podcast called 'something to wrestle with bruce prichard'. I was a big fan of wwf in the 90's and bruce prichard (brother love) was Vince McMahon right hand man for lot of it. Basically a very in depth, funny, interesting and revealing insight into wrestling. He does impressions of the likes of macho man, Vince McMahon and dusty Rhodes.
They pick a subject matter for each episode formulate the general discussion, e.g. a particular wrestler (e.g. hulk hogan, ultimate warrior, owen hart).a PPV (wrestlemania IV, summerslam 94) or a historic moment (Montreal screwjob, Steroids trial). Can get very personal too when they talk about the deaths in the company.

If you were a fan or wresting from the 80's til 2000ish then I'd say you'd like this

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:57pm
Anybody listen to 'Quickly Kevin'? If anybody misses the fun and sense of innocence in football should listen to it. I have only listened to the first 10 or so and they have all been enjoyable, even when Nish Kumar was on it!
The episode devoted to Steve Bruce's novel was absolutely  hilarious.

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:15pm

Blindboys podcast with Bernadette Devlin McAliskey was very good.

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:21am

Blindboys podcast with Bernadette Devlin McAliskey was very good.

His live guests are generally very good; David McWilliams and Fin Dwyer were excellent.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:56am

Anybody listen to 'Quickly Kevin'? If anybody misses the fun and sense of innocence in football should listen to it. I have only listened to the first 10 or so and they have all been enjoyable, even when Nish Kumar was on it!
The episode devoted to Steve Bruce's novel was absolutely  hilarious.

Don't know how I missed this podcast but it's well worth a listen for fans of 90's football.

Just finished the 2-parter with Carlton Palmer. There really are no more characters left in the modern game.

-------------

Posted By: Yiksheemash
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:38am
sh*t town is a brilliant podcast. hillbilly genius in USA and his life. 7 episodes 

https://stownpodcast.org/" rel="nofollow - https://stownpodcast.org/

-------------
In my country we fak, my wife she isa dead

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:08am
Louis Theroux has a new one on the BBC. I could listen to him talk about anything! 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:13am
Listening to Quickly Kevinnow. I like Josh Widdicombe Thumbs Up

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Louis Theroux has a new one on the BBC. I could listen to him talk about anything! 

would ya have a cheeky wank while listening along to it? 

-------------

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

The episodes on the Steve Barnes detective novels are among the funniest things i've ever heard. Listened to them on the tube and looked like a proper wierdo* laughing away to myself. 

*More than usual

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

The episodes on the Steve Barnes detective novels are among the funniest things i've ever heard. Listened to them on the tube and looked like a proper wierdo* laughing away to myself. 

*More than usual
Yeah, they are the best ones alright. I don't find Widdecombe that funny really, but he has a real boyish charm and is very likeable. Chris Scull comes across as your typical West Ham fan too! A complete idiot who has fronted his way to a career with West Ham, but his presence works on this. A pound shop Tim Lovejoy. 
The show reminds me of why I loved football growing up. They are all fans and love everything about it without taking it as seriously as the media do today. I have listened to it the whole way through and have loved it. There's been a few poor episodes that didn't sit right with me ( Rasputin Campbell) and a few less entertaining interviews, but overall it is my favourite podcast.

I would love to get a hold of Bruce's books!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:54am
Louis Theroux has a podcast that started a few weeks ago where he interviews celebrities, it's an enjoyable listen, really looking forward to the Miriam Margolyes one when it is released as you never know what she will come out with!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:56am
I f**king love her! Punk grandma Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:57am

I f**king love her! Punk grandma Clap

She is brilliant, doesn't give a f**k what she says!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:20am
Listening to the Grenfell tower podcast on the bbc. It was coming out everyday of the inquest, quite interesting so far.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 11:46am

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

*More than usual
Yeah, they are the best ones alright. I don't find Widdecombe that funny really, but he has a real boyish charm and is very likeable. Chris Scull comes across as your typical West Ham fan too! A complete idiot who has fronted his way to a career with West Ham, but his presence works on this. A pound shop Tim Lovejoy. 
The show reminds me of why I loved football growing up. They are all fans and love everything about it without taking it as seriously as the media do today. I have listened to it the whole way through and have loved it. There's been a few poor episodes that didn't sit right with me ( Rasputin Campbell) and a few less entertaining interviews, but overall it is my favourite podcast.

I would love to get a hold of Bruce's books!

Ivo Graham is great on those. I dug out his routines after it and wasnt for me at all though. The Dara Ó Briain one about Big jack era Ireland obviously worth a listen too. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:02pm
I felt that Dara Ó Brian one was one of the poorer ones. He just kept making loads of errors about the team from that time and spinning the Cascarino myth again. That one,  Campbell (just because having a man on with that much blood on his hands is a bit weird) and Max Rushden talking about Cambridge United were the three I really didn't enjoy. Actually,  Jon Hare from Sensible Soccer was a bit boring as well. And Clive Tyldesley, despite being an ok interview, really is an arrogant dick.

Bruce's books are the best ones, but there has been some great interviews as the players from that time all had personalities. Jim Rosenthal and James Richardson ones were my favourite interviews though. Two gentlemen that we grew up with presenting sports. Rosenthal seems like a lovely man.

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Listening to the Le Tiss one now. Read his book and know all the stories but always good to hear them fleshed out a little more. It's all very casual and laid back which makes it very easy listening.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:23pm
Recently started listening to the zonal marking podcast so. E great insights into different eras and tactics 

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:47pm

I felt that Dara Ó Brian one was one of the poorer ones. He just kept making loads of errors about the team from that time and spinning the Cascarino myth again. That one,  Campbell (just because having a man on with that much blood on his hands is a bit weird) and Max Rushden talking about Cambridge United were the three I really didn't enjoy. Actually,  Jon Hare from Sensible Soccer was a bit boring as well. And Clive Tyldesley, despite being an ok interview, really is an arrogant dick.

Bruce's books are the best ones, but there has been some great interviews as the players from that time all had personalities. Jim Rosenthal and James Richardson ones were my favourite interviews though. Two gentlemen that we grew up with presenting sports. Rosenthal seems like a lovely man.

I enjoyed i think because he still kind of had the giddy excitement about that team and that era that the English lads just couldn't really understand I reckon. Bits that you look back on like 'We didn't start the fire' and Put 'em under pressure. But take your point - he made loads of mistakes - the Cascarino one and I remember one other really daft myth he repeated as fact - escapes me. Still - worse ways to spend an hour. Must pick it up again

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:49pm
This is a bit niche, but Tailenders on BBC Sounds. 'loosely' Cricket based Podcast featuring Greg James ( Radio 1) , Felix White from the Macabees and England fast bowler Jimmy Anderson. I await the inevitable abuse but there you go. 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: sid waddell
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 4:10pm
Podcasts I currently listen to:

Second Captains for sport and particularly Ken Early's rants - which contain more actual political knowledge than the vast majority of what you'll hear hear in political media

Gaslit Nation - this is a brilliant podcast about US politics, Trump and authoritarianism - you will not find a better one, it is relentlessly angry but pessimistic 

David McWilliams podcast - interesting ideas on economics

Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss - a new political podcast featuring the former Newsnight reporter, have found it quite good so far - lots of ideas and references about the arts in it as well

Behind The Bastards with Robert Evans - the bizarre true stories behind those who make up the world of right wing demagogues, charlatans and wreckers, and their ludicrous "talking points"

Ewan MacKenna's new podcast is not bad actually

Irish Times' Inside Politics podcast can be pretty good when the mood takes it

-------------
Edited by Trigboy 10 at 10:03pm

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:43pm
I really like the idea of cricket, AM, I just can't into the game itself. I love the idea of, at some point, sitting in the West Indies with large rums, a decent rocksteady beat and a sporting excuse sounds terrific. Long before football, it also had decent literature about it. I had also forgotten The Maccabees existed! What an odd next career step!

Behind the Bastards is one I have earmarked, it's supposed to be very good.

That Sweeney is an odd man, even within journalism. I have read a couple of his books and we have all seen his BBC work, but he never sits right with me. In saying that, he is oddly interesting and a conversation between him and Weiss might be entertaining. 

Mick Wallace's lovechild can f**k off. Second Captains and OTB still feel like Transition Year projects to me. Maybe if you have an interest in the GAA you get more out of them.

If anybody has any interest in Country music, or just likes the sort of mad stories that the US can bring, Cocaine and Rhinestones is really excellent. Every episode is a documentary about a specific song, artist or story that is brilliantly researched and very entertaining.  

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:03pm
I'll have to give the Louis Theroux one a try. I love that guy, he's so witty and sarcastic it's great Clap

Could never get into any other podcasts other than Joe Rogan, who just signed a $100 million contract with Spotify for, he does get some duds as guests but generally he is the best hence why Spotify paid that amount.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:08pm
I listened to Simon Ferry, Kevin Kyle, Cillian Sheridan and Paul Slane on a podcast last week. Open Goal its called, Ferry presents them.
For four average (at best) footballers, it was very funny. Sheridan talking about his time at Celtic. Some great stories about Thomas Gravesen

Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:28pm
I have tried watching some of the videos. The format is good and the people often interesting, but Ferry is very annoying. He laughs in the middle of words, I'm sure. He reminds me of that priest who drops Henry Sellers up to Craggy Island. 

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 6:57pm
I was glad they went onto Spotify
Watching a podcast on YouTube is annoying, can’t even close the app to go onto something else or listen to it while you walk 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:44pm
Stitcher app is good for podcasts.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: The White Cafu
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:25am
I’m really enjoying Ewan MacKenna’s one, that and the stand with Eamon dunphy are probably the only 2 I’ve ever listened to, but I’m going to give quickly Kevin a go now. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Second Captains for sport and particularly Ken Early's rants - which contain more actual political knowledge than the vast majority of what you'll hear hear in political media

Gaslit Nation - this is a brilliant podcast about US politics, Trump and authoritarianism - you will not find a better one, it is relentlessly angry but pessimistic 

Last Call with John Sweeney and Michael Weiss - a new political podcast featuring the former Newsnight reporter, have found it quite good so far - lots of ideas and references about the arts in it as well

Behind The Bastards with Robert Evans - the bizarre true stories behind those who make up the world of right wing demagogues, charlatans and wreckers, and their ludicrous "talking points"

worst podcast out there. absolute ear burning stuff. Lads on Offtheball are streets ahead of it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:55am
In order of ones I never miss to "when I have time".....
  • Totally Football Show - a must every Monday for me.
  • Revolutionist History - Malcolm Gladwell, podcast about a seemingly innocuous piece of history and the knock on effects on the world.
  • Stock Club - podcast about the stock market, makes me a bit of money usually.
  • Pivot - Scott Galloway looking at ongoings in the world and how it's going to shape the future (lots about the working from home revolution at the moment for example) 
  • Zonal Marking - in depth looks at some football teams/tournaments from history, how they were put together, how they played, etc
  • David McWilliams
  • The Bradley Wiggins Show and/or Cycling Podcast (only listen during grand tours)
  • Peter King podcast (only listen during NFL season)
  • Love the one-offs too like Serial, Gladiator, Stown, etc
I do a lot of jumping into podcasts too, if someone I like is appearing on Off the Ball, Big Red Bench, etc I'll just listen to that episode.

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

worst podcast out there. absolute ear burning stuff. Lads on Offtheball are streets ahead of it. 
Like carving imaginary headstones around Ireland for no logical reason or explanation, other than there is an actual one for four famous dead American presidents?

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:43am

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Like carving imaginary headstones around Ireland for no logical reason or explanation, other than there is an actual one for four famous dead American presidents?

I'd imagine that's more to do with the lack of sport over the last few months. Bit of a challenge for a podcast that deals primarily in sport.

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 10:53am
That still doesn't explain the abject stupidity and irrelevance of the name! What has Mt. Rushmore got to do with sport in Ireland? They have, one assumes, taken an idea from American sports journalism, and one that doesn't make too much sense there, where the f**king thing is, and try to shoehorn it into Ireland without thinking.
****s.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:05am
They probably could have put a more Irish slant on it alright.

The sporting 'Corrs' of each county would have been a good one to do. The three best sportspeople and then the worst from each county.

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

They probably could have put a more Irish slant on it alright.

The sporting 'Corrs' of each county would have been a good one to do. The three best sportspeople and then the worst from each county.
It is the problem with the lads involved in both main Irish sports podcasts. Everything seems to be taken from somewhere else, to the point where they are incapable of even renaming something. There's a dearth of creativity and innovation.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:35pm
The Paul Merson "Quickly Kevin" is a very funny listen Clap

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 4:46pm
Ps, Gazza, what a ****

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:01pm

The Paul Merson "Quickly Kevin" is a very funny listen Clap
As annoying as he is as a pundit, he comes across as a very decent fella. He was a fine footballer too.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net