You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:21am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I don't get the outrage tbh, media needs to make profit to exist and OTB put a serious amount of free content out whether you like it or not. The radio content is still free as are the YouTube videos. I'd imagine they'll end up reducing that fee because a tenner per/month is steep. 

They should do some sort of bundle at a reduced cost if you're just looking to listen to a particular pod.

I don't think that many people are outraged to be honest, more just surprised that they think many people will pay €10 a month to listen to what is honestly pretty average content with a lot of product placement etc. thrown in. 

Realistically I can only imagine this kind of thing being of interest to people who drive all day for a living - sales reps, truck drivers, people with ridiculously long commutes, that kind of thing. If I did one of those jobs I'd probably subscribe to a few podcasts to pass the time on the road. But I work from home most of the time and wouldn't have the time or interest to listen to more than a very occasional podcast.

Aye, as I said, a tenner a month is a bit steep. I'd say you would be surprised with the amount of subscriptions they get though. I work from home also and have the morning radio show on the background but that's about it apart from the odd GAA podcast. Each to their own though.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:55am
Second Captains at a fiver a month with no ads is looking pretty good value to be honest. And it's 6 pods a week which usually means I actually listen to them all on my commute or whatever. 

Paying a tenner a month for something that I'd only listen to the odd thing off wouldn't work for me anyways, be interested to see how many subscribe to them in the end. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:12pm
It seems like they are leaving the coverage of women’s sport free for now.  Kinda cynical if you think about it.  Went on to Spotify and the coverage of the women’s World Cup the ladies all Ireland and the camogie review are all free to listen to. 
AKA pedantic kunt
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Second Captains at a fiver a month with no ads is looking pretty good value to be honest. And it's 6 pods a week which usually means I actually listen to them all on my commute or whatever. 

Paying a tenner a month for something that I'd only listen to the odd thing off wouldn't work for me anyways, be interested to see how many subscribe to them in the end. 

I listen to the odd podcast. They have been done to death a bit at this stage. Conan O'Brien needs a friend i used to like but why would anyone actually pay a subscription for one? Would you be bothered like?

Edited by doherty - 10 Aug 2023 at 10:27pm
I love beer gardens
Max Power View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 12:53am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see how many people follow OTB to their subscription service. €10 a month is fairly steep for a podcast but they can point to the range of content to justify it. I’d only really listen to the football stuff so debating whether it‘s worth it.

Not a lot of notice given either, basically 12 hours notice.

Second Captains is half the price and absolutely streets ahead quality wise. OTB is a load of bollox most of the time imo.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 1:16am
Why would anyone pay money to people for them to tell  you how to think ? Make your own opinion.....money for old rope. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 2:52am
Has anyone listened to The Broken Metatarsal? A 2000’s football podcast. Not sure if it’s similar to Quickly Kevin. Came up on my spotify feed the other day so will give it a listen.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 10:50am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

The 6 min video explainer was the weirdest bit, was like Gilroy was trying to sell the idea to Joe LOL
Their content is fine when free, best of luck to them looking for subscribers 

Gilroy back on again this morning to answer questions about the subscription service. Which can only be accessed by any one who signed up LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 12:55pm
Eire Guide going subscription only on Facebook. 1e per month.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What are they offering for that?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 12:58pm

Jesus next we will have the crap flag page going subscription and Irish fan tv 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

The 6 min video explainer was the weirdest bit, was like Gilroy was trying to sell the idea to Joe LOL
Their content is fine when free, best of luck to them looking for subscribers 

Gilroy back on again this morning to answer questions about the subscription service. Which can only be accessed by any one who signed up LOL

Did you subscribe ? 
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 1:25pm

Fair play to him, he should be good for about €4 a month off the back of that move.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 2:24pm

FFS LOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:13pm

FFS LOL

What you reckon though? 42k followers. Will he make a couple of 100 per month? 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

FFS LOL

I’m sure he’ll get some alright but what exactly are you paying for? Take yesterday for example, all these type fan pages talking about how amazing that young lads transfer is from Palace to Lyon, not one single page, from what I saw anyway, noted that the clubs have the same owner and that it’s a potentially bad thing for Cork city 

I dunno maybe that’s the standard of analysis you get for a euro but it’s all hyperbolic nonsense with them pages 

Edited by 9fingers - 11 Aug 2023 at 4:42pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:49pm

FFS LOL

I’m sure he’ll get some alright but what exactly are you paying for? Take yesterday for example, all these type fan pages talking about how amazing that young lads transfer is from Palace to Lyon, not one single page, from what I saw anyway, noted that the clubs have the same owner and that it’s a potentially bad thing for Cork city 

I dunno maybe that’s the standard of analysis you get for a euro but it’s all hyperbolic nonsense with them pages 
+1. They're all ran by young teenagers as evident by the content.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:53pm

FFS LOL

Why is it potentially bad for Cork? He's moving for a fee so they'll get a sell on fee. Unless the logic is that the fee is lower than his real value due to the shared ownership group?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic