You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Podcasts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 12:09pm
The 6 min video explainer was the weirdest bit, was like Gilroy was trying to sell the idea to Joe LOL
Their content is fine when free, best of luck to them looking for subscribers 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 12:43pm
OTB and TalkSport are trash media.

There are too many podcasts now. Saturated market. Every **** and their nan has one or wants to get into the business. The vast majority of them are a waste of time. Grand if you're on the way to the office in the morning or something. But I can't believe how popular the format has become.

It's like everyone thinks they can become the next Joe Rogan.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 12:44pm
https://open.spotify.com/show/4G1S90pgXtkPd7dfslfqKL?si=MHlucC8EQLOrdbW19vrmnA

“I’m not here to hurt you” 
Very interesting 5x30 min podcast series from the Indo 

Edited by 9fingers - 09 Aug 2023 at 12:45pm
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 12:48pm
[QUOTE=9fingers]https://open.spotify.com/show/4G1S90pgXtkPd7dfslfqKL?si=MHlucC8EQLOrdbW19vrmnA

“I’m not here to hurt you” 
Very interesting 5x30 min podcast series from the Indo 
[/QUOTE

Very good, would have liked some more details on the robberies , defo enough there for a documentary/ movie 

Why no wine??!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:23pm
OTB is the only podcast I listen to so a bit disappointed that I won't have that any more. For all their 60+ podcasts a week I only listen to the football ones and wouldn't have interest in any of the others. 
Does 2fm Game on do a podcast? Never listened to that but it seems similar. 
The dark side.. And the light
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

OTB and TalkSport are trash media.

There are too many podcasts now. Saturated market. Every **** and their nan has one or wants to get into the business. The vast majority of them are a waste of time. Grand if you're on the way to the office in the morning or something. But I can't believe how popular the format has become.

It's like everyone thinks they can become the next Joe Rogan.
It really emphasises the human need to sit around for 3 hours talking about absolutely f**k all 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see how many people follow OTB to their subscription service. €10 a month is fairly steep for a podcast but they can point to the range of content to justify it. I’d only really listen to the football stuff so debating whether it‘s worth it.

Not a lot of notice given either, basically 12 hours notice.
Are they still going to be on Newstalk 7-10pm ?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see how many people follow OTB to their subscription service. €10 a month is fairly steep for a podcast but they can point to the range of content to justify it. I’d only really listen to the football stuff so debating whether it‘s worth it.

All the radio stuff is staying free. It's just the podcasts and on demand that is going behind a paywall.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 09 Aug 2023 at 3:11pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Ye you’ll be able to listen to the shows as they’re on but not on demand in podcasts etc. A ball ache when you’re living in a different time zone but if I couldn’t justify paying a 5er a month for the 42, then this won’t be justified either.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:05pm
I don't get the outrage tbh, media needs to make profit to exist and OTB put a serious amount of free content out whether you like it or not. The radio content is still free as are the YouTube videos. I'd imagine they'll end up reducing that fee because a tenner per/month is steep. 

They should do some sort of bundle at a reduced cost if you're just looking to listen to a particular pod.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I don't get the outrage tbh, media needs to make profit to exist and OTB put a serious amount of free content out whether you like it or not. The radio content is still free as are the YouTube videos. I'd imagine they'll end up reducing that fee because a tenner per/month is steep. 

They should do some sort of bundle at a reduced cost if you're just looking to listen to a particular pod.
They’re owned by Bauer media who are worth over €1billion, they’ve plenty of money & make plenty of profit. 
That being said I think the bigger issue is they’re just not worth it, the content is decent when free but ain’t worth a tenner. Can’t stand Gilroy either. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

They’re owned by Bauer media who are worth over €1billion, they’ve plenty of money & make plenty of profit. 
That being said I think the bigger issue is they’re just not worth it, the content is decent when free but ain’t worth a tenner. Can’t stand Gilroy either. 

Bauer media own Newstalk but they don't own OTB as far as I know. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Chris scull from Quickly Kevin has teamed up with Eli’s James and Tom Craine for a new podcast looking back at history. Listened to their episode on vikings and long ships pissing myself laughing.

Called Oh what a time 
I like Quickly Kevin but those lads have awful football knowledge.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Just had a look there and seems they are owned by Bauer. I wasn't aware of that to be honest.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:51pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Just had a look there and seems they are owned by Bauer. I wasn't aware of that to be honest.

I did not know that either!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 8:39am
I guess we all knew they were going to try to make money eventually, we've kinda got used to podcasts being free.

I only listen to the Football pod weekly (GAA one), and not in the offseason obviously, tough to know if that would be worth €10 a month.

I guess the biggest problem with these things (and like GAA Go), is they offer it as "you get 60 hours of podcasts a week for €10, that's 20c per podcast". Realistically most people only listen to a handful of podcasts a week.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 8:55am
It’s the illusion of unlimited content.  In reality it’s not the amount of content that is the issue is the amount of hours you have feee to keep yourself entertained.  Between work and kids if you have them and 3 meals a day and sleep.  How much times does anyone have to be listening to podcasts or watching tv.  Multiple subscriptions is madness as it can quickly add up to more than 50 quid and there just isn’t the amount of time in the week to get the value for money.  
AKA pedantic kunt
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 10:08am

I don't think that many people are outraged to be honest, more just surprised that they think many people will pay €10 a month to listen to what is honestly pretty average content with a lot of product placement etc. thrown in. 

Realistically I can only imagine this kind of thing being of interest to people who drive all day for a living - sales reps, truck drivers, people with ridiculously long commutes, that kind of thing. If I did one of those jobs I'd probably subscribe to a few podcasts to pass the time on the road. But I work from home most of the time and wouldn't have the time or interest to listen to more than a very occasional podcast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 22>
  Share Topic