You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 75>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:31am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Read the Richie Sadlier book during christmas. Decent read, could relate to a lot of the drinking stuff!

Nearly finished the Paul Williams latest book where he covers the Monk. Also enjoying it and would recommend, even if Williams is a bit of a douche

Confused you in a US High School?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:32am
Keane Origins. Nearly finished. Good read and insight to be fair. 

I think my Dad has the Richie Sadlier one at home so might have a look at that next. I still have Michael Wolffs book on Trump, Fire and Fury to read. Given the way of the world I might start into that.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Read the Richie Sadlier book during christmas. Decent read, could relate to a lot of the drinking stuff!

Nearly finished the Paul Williams latest book where he covers the Monk. Also enjoying it and would recommend, even if Williams is a bit of a douche

Confused you in a US High School?
If he is reading Paul Williams there's a fair chance that he never went to school at all!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
Got through a few different books recently:

The Mixer - really enjoyed this, surprised it took me so long to find it, basically tracks the history of tactics through the Premier League era. A must read for any football fan.

Psychology of Money - a series of short essays looking at how different people look at money and how they use it. 

As an aside, has there been any good autobiographies released in the past 2/3 years? I used to love reading them 10 years ago, in all sorts of sports, but had a look through the William Hill list, nothing interesting at all on there for a few years. I realise modern sports people are far better behaved and media trained, but you'd have thought a few of them would have interesting stories.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:51am
Eamonn Magee's book is one of the best autobiography's you'll read.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:32am
Das Reboot - Rafa Honigstein - 7/10.

Details the reform of German football and how the structures put in place for youth development paid off in 2014. Great read, but depressing knowing that the FAI will never have the resources or the selfless intelligence to reform football in Ireland to even half of what the Germans did. 

Divided - Tim Marshall - 8/10.

Probably a better read than Prisoners of Geography. The chapters on the Middle East, Africa and the UK were excellent.

In sunshine or in shadow - Donald McRae - 9/10.

Another excellent boxing book set during the Troubles. Along with Gerry Storey's willingness to cross the divide, despite numerous attempts on his life, there are some excellent stories about fighters from both sides about their experiences during the period.

Currently reading The Westies by TJ English. The story of New York's Irish Mob in the 70's & 80's.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:54am

Really enjoyed Sadlier's book yeah. One of the better footballers autobiographies I've read
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:15pm
I've always had the impression of Richie that he embellishes things so that he will have a better story. Could be wrong.

He's done well to release a book anyway after 100 professional appearances and 1 senior cap.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm
I've just read the Philly McMahon\Chisty Dignam and Klopp auto's

The Monk\The Witness and the Crowded house crimes books.

The witness is about a 9 year old who started working on a milk round which was a front for heroin distribution, he gets caught up in it before becoming a state witness and the state wash their hands with him post court case.

Crowed house is about Kieran Greene killing his Mother in law - good read but surprised he got convicted.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The witness is about a 9 year old who started working on a milk round which was a front for heroin distribution, he gets caught up in it before becoming a state witness and the state wash their hands with him post court case.

Crowed house is about Kieran Greene killing his Mother in law - good read but surprised he got convicted.

Philly McMahon book is great as well. The Witness sounds good.
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:34pm

I'd say the Christy Dignam one is harrowing alot of my peers would have used his addiction as some sort of Joke but when you hear his story you could see exactly why someone would become an addict. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Philly McMahon book is great as well. The Witness sounds good.

It's here if you want it anyway.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:47pm
Don't wanna catch COVID off it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:02pm
Very true!
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:38pm

I really liked the way Christy's book was written. A chapter a story, even if that meant chapters only being a page long!!
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:10pm
I don't know how he's still alive. The stories of his heroin binges are harrowing. Injecting in to an abcess Dead

Philly's book is excellent. The Witness sounds good HB. Was going to get it in Eason's before Christmas but thought it might be a bit Paul Williams-esque.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:12pm
It is.

Paul Williams books are very good though - but he's still a **** of the highest order.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Das Reboot - Rafa Honigstein - 7/10.

Details the reform of German football and how the structures put in place for youth development paid off in 2014. Great read, but depressing knowing that the FAI will never have the resources or the selfless intelligence to reform football in Ireland to even half of what the Germans did. 

Read this a few years back. The money the Germans threw at their game was nuts, even if it did win them the WC in 2014. All off the back of the shambles of Euro 2004 with Rudi Voller. 

They put some money into this invention which they credit with Gotze's goal in the WC final. 

Very few countries could afford all this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 75>
  Share Topic