You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 75>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:02am
Just finished the Barcelona Legacy by Wilson, another great one by him

Next up

This be the synopsis

In August 1994, Manic Street Preachers released The Holy Bible, a dark, fiercely intelligent album that explored such themes as mental illness, murder and war. Richey Edwards, the band's lyricist and motive force, vanished five months later; he was never found. In his absence The Holy Bible entered the rock canon alongside Joy Division's Closer and Nirvana's In Utero, the valedictory works of troubled young men. This book tells the dramatic story of Manic Street Preachers' masterpiece. Tracing the album's origins in the Valleys, an industrialised region of South Wales where the band spent their formative years, the author argues that The Holy Bible can be seen as a meditation on the uses and abuses of history.

Looking forward to it
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Finished Tim Parks , A Season with Verona . Definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read . Can see why people have read it multiple times. Moving on to 21 rules for the 21st Century.

Love that book. Highly recommended. He has another one about life as a non-Italian in Italy that is worth reading too.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

Finished Tim Parks , A Season with Verona . Definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read . Can see why people have read it multiple times. Moving on to 21 rules for the 21st Century.

Love that book. Highly recommended. He has another one about life as a non-Italian in Italy that is worth reading too.
Italian Neighbours. I thoroughly enjoyed that too.

I just finished his 'Italian Ways', which is an attempt to explain Italy through his railway journeys. It was never going to be as good as the other two, but definitely worth reading if you like trains, Italy and the other books.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:03pm
Oh sorry, it was Italian Ways I read... but then again, I love trains, Italy and, unsurprisingly, Italian trains.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 29 May 2019 at 3:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:45pm

Oh sorry, it was Italian Ways I read... but then again, I love trains, Italy and, unsurprisingly, Italian trains.
Ah right! I thought you would like it! ‘Italian Neighbours’ is definitely worth reading. I love how he writes about Italy. He really loves the place, but he never sugarcoats it either. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Ah right! I thought you would like it! ‘Italian Neighbours’ is definitely worth reading. I love how he writes about Italy. He really loves the place, but he never sugarcoats it either. 

That sums up in one sentence why I've really liked both his books. There are plenty of gushing travel writers out there and plenty of grumps too, but Parks gets the balance really well.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Ok lads, I just got a Kindle and I'm heading on holidays soon. What will I download? 

I'm not into sports autobiographies unless we are talking about the sordid account of a wayward genius who led a lifestyle that would make Rick James blush. 

I downloaded Akala's "Natives" on PM's recommendation. I tend to lean towards Fiction, Crime Fiction, Historical and occasional Thrillers (John Le Carres writing is enjoyable). 

Robert Harris is always a great read. Fatherland and Munich in particular Thumbs Up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Robert Harris is always a great read. Fatherland and Munich in particular Thumbs Up

"Fatherland" is a top read Thumbs Up I enjoyed "Enigma" and "Archangel" as well, very good, clever thrillers. 

The only flaw with "Fatherland" is that historians aren't convinced that Harris' timeline for Nazi victory in WW2 would have been realistic. 

I remember doing "Fatherland" for a book report in school when I was about 16 and my English teacher told me that he went out and bought it on the back of my report LOL

If anyone wants a wacky piece of light reading and is interested in "the Golden Age of Hollywood" then you should try Errol Flynn's autobiography "My Wicked, Wicked Ways". 

Now, almost everything Flynn wrote in his autobiography has since been proved to be utter bollocks but it is nonetheless highly entertaining (and very steamy) bollocks that will greatly amuse a fan of vintage cinema. Wink
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 12:13pm
Climate Justice by Mary Robinson.

I though it was an interesting read, which raises a lot of issues about the response to climate change and what was necessary.

I did take away that more is being done at inter-governmental than we realise, and efforts to raise the debate are being made. However, there will need to be more fundamental changes in things like political culture to ensure a proper and fit for purpose strategy is in place.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 10:21pm
Young Lothar - am underground fugitive in nazi Berlin
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:54am
off on holidays in a few weeks. looking for a decent book. dont do fiction or any of that sh*te. any recommendations? 

is a season with Verona decent? 
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:15am
Shantaram....by Gregory David Roberts
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

off on holidays in a few weeks. looking for a decent book. dont do fiction or any of that sh*te. any recommendations? 

Yeah ,its worth reading.

What type of books you looking for? sports books/biographies ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
Decent is a bit harsh! One of the best books I have read! 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:38pm

I’m just finishing The Border by Don Winslow. It’s the final part of the trilogy: The Power of the Dog was the first and The Cartel was the second parts. 

It’s a depressingly real look at the futility of the drug war
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:45pm
Been reading this:

It is excellent and the review definitely summarises how I feel about it. The major difficulty is following the Russian and Ukrainian names: it can be tricky to remember them all as you move from one chapter to the next, especially when they are placed in the labyrinthine Soviet bureaucracy. It is reasonably well covered but it still can be difficult to keep track of.

Some of the reviews criticise the last few chapters as being overly political but two thoughts on that: firstly, you can't read a book about the accident without the end discussion being almost entirely political, and you do have to reference the critique as to whether the Chernobyl accident was a cause of the collapse of the Soviet Union, whether it accelerated the inevitable collapse or whether it was merely a symptom of the disease of mismanagement that brought it down. Secondly, I haven't actually got that far yet, so I can't say for sure whether it does go too far.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying it. I haven't seen the TV show and have no great desire to watch it but the book is excellent.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm

What are your destination(s) or activities?
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

What are your destination(s) or activities?
sh*tting in microwaves and Mumford and Sons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 75>
  Share Topic