You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 75>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The Cartel

Finished Philly McMahons book The Choice last week 

If by "The Cartel" you mean the book by Don Winslow then that's a decent read. It's nowhere near as good as "The Power of the Dog" which is the precursor to it and is fantastic. That is the definitive history on the Mexican dopewars replete with the US governments sordid involvement in it. 

I just bought Winslows most recent book called "The Force" which I'm looking forward to. 

El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:08pm
Who wrote the 'Power of the Dog'? Sounds interesting.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Who wrote the 'Power of the Dog'? Sounds interesting.

Winslow wrote it also. He fictionalises the names of characters but they are all based on real people. 

For example, I noticed that one of his protagonists was last month arrested and sentenced to 50 years. 

He does a massive amount of research for his work but it pays off.

If you like that type of material then I would also strongly recommend James Ellroy and particularly his Underworld USA trilogy; American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousland and Bloods a Rover.  
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
I will try that one first and see if I enjoy it. Thanks.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:57pm

I will try that one first and see if I enjoy it. Thanks.

Yeah give it a go. His writing style isn't especially evocative or eloquent. It's more about the level of detail. It will lay out quite clearly how Mexico got into this state. 
El Puto Amo
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The Cartel

Finished Philly McMahons book The Choice last week 

If by "The Cartel" you mean the book by Don Winslow then that's a decent read. It's nowhere near as good as "The Power of the Dog" which is the precursor to it and is fantastic. That is the definitive history on the Mexican dopewars replete with the US governments sordid involvement in it. 

I just bought Winslows most recent book called "The Force" which I'm looking forward to. 

Power of the Dog is excellent. 

I'm guessing but I'd reckon RB is talking about a book by some Irish journalists on The Kinahans.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
yeah it’s the Kinahan one 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:12pm

yeah it’s the Kinahan one 

Iirc it has a lot of info but the writing style is fairly poor.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:15pm
Is it in the style of that **** Williams? Is he still being paid to write?
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:18pm

Not really, it's like it was written by a 14 year old.The writer would be terrible at scrabble. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Not really, it's like it was written by a 14 year old.The writer would be terrible at scrabble. 
That is exactly what I meant!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

That is exactly what I meant!

LOL

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:23pm
Finished reading Black Klansman recently.Enjoyable book about under cover cops in the US infiltrating KKK,investigation was lead by a black detective. 
Declanus View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Declanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:35pm
just finished the Echoland series by Joe Joyce. Insight into Ireland during the war. 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:02am
Which war?
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:54am
Shantaram - gregory david roberts

About a convicted aussie robber and heroin addict who escaped prison and flees to mumbai/bombay. Very good read so far. 900+ pages, but easy to rip through it
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

About a convicted aussie robber and heroin addict who escaped prison and flees to mumbai/bombay. Very good read so far. 900+ pages, but easy to rip through it

It’s a great book. The last 1/3 goes off in a tangent that’s unnecessary but a superb story.
They is always talk of making a movie out of it but it hasn’t happened yet.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

It’s a great book. The last 1/3 goes off in a tangent that’s unnecessary but a superb story.
They is always talk of making a movie out of it but it hasn’t happened yet.

I read that a few years ago,really enjoyable but is it mostly bullsh*t ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 75>
  Share Topic