You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What book are you reading at the moment ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 76>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 1:40pm
Finished Trautmann's Journey: From Hitler Youth to FA Cup Legend - Fascinating life story of Bert Trautmann the Manchester City keeper who broke his neck in the 1956 Cup Final.

Reading Emerald Exiles at the moment as recommended on this forum and it's a very easy and enjoyable read.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:10pm
I've just ordered this today should be a good read.

From Armed Struggle to Academia - Calton Books (SP) Ltd

It’s a story of life, from the carnage and killing of the 1970’s on the conflict streets of Belfast to walking the hallowed halls of academia and reaching for a dream. He lost many, many friends during the conflict and spent many years in the Cages of Long Kesh with many more, they were difficult times which hopefully are over forever.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:24am
The Duke: The Life and Lies of Tommy Morrison by Carlos Acevedo. Absolutely amazing book about the boxer best known for playing Tommy Gunn in Rocky V.  Had a wild life before going fully off the rails. 

Acevedo is an exceptionally good writer too.  Highly recommended. 
Team Emmet
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 8:47pm
good to see chapters in Parnell street back open 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:13pm
I heard it was closed? What has happened to get it back open?
It would damage this forums' reputation
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I heard it was closed? What has happened to get it back open?

Don’t know, one of the lads let us know it had reopened and when we were down last weekend sure enough it was open 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 9:23pm
New owners I think I read 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 10:13pm
Lads who own Game stop bought it
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 4:09pm
The Late Shift by Bill Carter

Book about the transition of the Tonight Show from Johnny Carson to Jay Leno and David Letterman's attempts to stage a coup.

Fascinating look at the behind the scenes machinations in comedy showbusiness.

Halfway through and the author is clearly biased towards Letterman while continuously painting Leno in the most negative light possible, even when, to my eye, Letterman is trying to undermine Leno's attempts at a smooth transition and politicking to take his role while holding NBC hostage to offers from rival networks for his own show in the same timeslot. 
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 11:50am
Glorious Revolution: The Rebirth of Ajax Amsterdam by Karan Tejwani. 

Interesting book on the recent history of Ajax and their return to the later rounds of the Champions League.  Good insight on Ten Hag and his coaching style as well as the behind the scenes battles between Cruyff and everyone who isn’t Cruyff. 
Team Emmet
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:10pm
Anyone ever read Lethal Allies by Anne Cadwallader?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:07pm
Yes, it's excellent. Very well researched. I remember a lot of the content vividly at first hand as I grew up while the Glenanne gang was carrying out multiple sectarian murders in my own county ( Armagh ) and Tyrone mainly.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:18pm
Reading The Bachman Books by Stephen King. The Long Walk was oddly gripping but Road Work is boring me stiff.

Anyone read Philip Roth and know what would be an accessible book to start with?
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Reading The Bachman Books by Stephen King. The Long Walk was oddly gripping but Road Work is boring me stiff.

Anyone read Philip Roth and know what would be an accessible book to start with?

Plot Against America is very accessible.  Very different to his other books.  

I’d also suggest American Pastoral as a readable entry to his more typical books.  Also won him the Pulitzer. 

Team Emmet
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:47am
Can never find time to read a book lately. Have been using audible lately which I can then use in the gym or when feeding the baby which I find grand for things like autobiographies. Still think for like true crime or whatever probably would rather read it in the book itself.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Can never find time to read a book lately. Have been using audible lately which I can then use in the gym or when feeding the baby which I find grand for things like autobiographies. Still think for like true crime or whatever probably would rather read it in the book itself.

Yeah Audible is great for the likes of an autobiography or an easy listen but anything detailed is better to read the book. I zone out for a couple of seconds when listening so you could miss something important and have to be rewinding the book on the phone
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Some books definitely  work better on audiobooks than others. I find them great for fiction when they have multiple actors doing different parts.  Works for books written in first person as well like autobiographies. 
Team Emmet
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:25pm
In Plain Sight. 

Grim but unputdownable. Like a car crash, you can't help but look. Dan Davies goes into forensic detail on Jimmy Savile's 60-year spree of sexual abuse and the institutional and societal failings that enabled him. This is supplemented by recountings of the author's own interviews with Savile. Obvious criticisms aside, Savile was a fascinating and enigmatic figure and full of intrigue. It's morbidly fascinating to observe the methods he used to "groom a nation" and equally frustrating to read about all the missed chances to bring him to justice; the constant threats and obstruction faced by the victims.

As an aside, I think I'm traumatised reading about the number of teenage girls and women who willingly slept with him. He's repulsive looking! Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 76>
  Share Topic