You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MLS Thread (LA GALAXY as well)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Madferret Madferret wrote:

Yeah would think the likes of Daryl Horgan, Richie Towell and Chris Forrester could do well for themselves over there as they would be suited by the expansive, open style where their flair would wow supporters. Would think it's a better option than League 1 or 2 in England, both financially and player development, altho it might present a ceiling in terms of International opportunities.

Bluey, you might be able to answer this. Is there a requirement (self-imposed or otherwise) for the Canadian MLS Clubs to have a certain quota of domestic Canadian players? The reason I ask, is for the past few seasons I've noticed up to half a dozen Canadian born players with each of Montreal, Toronto & the Whitecaps, but rarely more than one or two of these Canadians at each Club ever seem to get a look in. I'm wondering are the Clubs largely fulfilling a technical requirement for Canadian player development? 

Canadian teams are required to carry at least 3 Canadians on their senior squad list. Incredibly, Canadians are seen as international players for American MLS sides but Americans are classed as domestic players for Vancouver, Montreal and TFC. This rule will eventually change but it certainly holds back the development of Canadian football. There is some serious talent here in The Great North but these kids will go to second and third division European clubs as the MLS rules will hamper their development. Added to the fact that the majority of Canadian footballers are 2nd and 3rd generation European immigrants, most carry the passport of their forefathers and are free to travel in Europe

Edited by Blue Man - 08 Jul 2015 at 2:26am
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 2:36am
Bluey, are there any more Canadian teams looking to get into the MLS?

Also, with the influx of foreign players plying their trade with the 3 Canadian MLS clubs could you see a Nigel Reo Coker type (hypothetically) speaking here or possibly a Brazilian born 24/25 year old eventually lining out for Canada If they happened to stay there the 3 or so years? The USA have capped a few chaps over the years without any US heritage, just curious if you think the Canucks will go down the same route.

Edited by Green Devil - 08 Jul 2015 at 2:37am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Bluey, are there any more Canadian teams looking to get into the MLS?

Also, with the influx of foreign players plying their trade with the 3 Canadian MLS clubs could you see a Nigel Reo Coker type (hypothetically) speaking here or possibly a Brazilian born 24/25 year old eventually lining out for Canada If they happened to stay there the 3 or so years? The USA have capped a few chaps over the years without any US heritage, just curious if you think the Canucks will go down the same route.

Nah there's far bigger cities in the States who didn't get franchises. I doubt we'll ever see another Canadian team in the MLS. There's teams in the USL Pro and NASL. They'd be the next step for a Canadian side as theres already Ottawa Fury (Richie Ryan and Colin Falvey there) and FC Edmonton. 

Yea sure Canada's keeper is a Serb. Begovic played all his youth football here as well before declaring for Bosnia. They still haven't got over that one really. They're really trying to implement a LTPD structure here (Long Term PLayer Development) and I'm not sure how the CSA would welcome international mercenaries playing for the national team. In saying that, a large number of the current squad was either born outside of Canada or into an immigrant family. You would be very hard pressed to find a Canadian whose great grandparents were even born here. 

Edited by Blue Man - 08 Jul 2015 at 3:41am
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Yeah would think the likes of Daryl Horgan, Richie Towell and Chris Forrester could do well for themselves over there as they would be suited by the expansive, open style where their flair would wow supporters. Would think it's a better option than League 1 or 2 in England, both financially and player development, altho it might present a ceiling in terms of International opportunities.

Bluey, you might be able to answer this. Is there a requirement (self-imposed or otherwise) for the Canadian MLS Clubs to have a certain quota of domestic Canadian players? The reason I ask, is for the past few seasons I've noticed up to half a dozen Canadian born players with each of Montreal, Toronto & the Whitecaps, but rarely more than one or two of these Canadians at each Club ever seem to get a look in. I'm wondering are the Clubs largely fulfilling a technical requirement for Canadian player development? 

Canadian teams are required to carry at least 3 Canadians on their senior squad list. Incredibly, Canadians are seen as international players for American MLS sides but Americans are classed as domestic players for Vancouver, Montreal and TFC. This rule will eventually change but it certainly holds back the development of Canadian football. There is some serious talent here in The Great North but these kids will go to second and third division European clubs as the MLS rules will hamper their development. Added to the fact that the majority of Canadian footballers are 2nd and 3rd generation European immigrants, most carry the passport of their forefathers and are free to travel in Europe

Cheers Bluey Thumbs Up 

Jaysus thats mad alright regards Americans being classed as domestic players and seems grossly unfair to the Canadians. Suppose it's indicative of a more general attitude of the U.S. looking down on Canada somewhat. Good to hear they'll get rid of it tho.
btw I see Tomi Ameobi, brother of Shola, Seamus & Sammy is playing for Edmonton. Think you're right, can't see another Canadian side get an MLS franchise award in the near future.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 6:32am

Was flicking between the MLS & Cricket. A rather "unusual" celebration from Robbie for his goal. A few minutes beforehand Omar Gonzalez had hit a long range pin point pass to Ishizaki and after a brillant first touch he got caught in two minds between a shot and a square ball to Robbie for an easy tap in. Keane was absolutely livid, ate the head off him for the next five minutes and was so pumped when the chance for his goal fell to him LOL Great finish too. 

Chicago were reasonably well organised but LA had so many chances was hard to believe it was 0-0 at ht. Shaun Maloney didn't see much of the ball. With Gerrard to come in aswell in July I can see only Salt Lake or Seattle stopping LA this season.

LA Galaxy come from two down to win 5-2 in the "Cali' Derby" against San Jose on Gerrard's debut. Keane bagged himself another hat-trick (two penos) and Gerrard got one goal & one assist and smacked the crossbar with a lovely free-kick. Both seemed to enjoy playing together. Ex-LOI Alan Kelly reffed.

As I mentioned above in bold, LA are gonna be really hard to stop now they're starting to crank it up and were missing GK Penedo, Centre-half Omar Gonzalez and strikers Alan Gordon & The Badger Zardes aswell as Gio dos Santos who has just signed all of whom are currently at the Gold Cup. That is a fairly impressive squad right there with solid strength in depth which most MLS sides lack. Their one achilles is possibly their away form which has up til now been indifferent, but I can see them get stronger & more fluid as the season progresses.
Before they shorten, I'm recommending LA Galaxy for the MLS Cup E/WAY (Terms two places, 1/2) (Betvictor had them @ 5/1 but prices are currently suspended, check it again over the weekend).  

Edited by Madferret - 18 Jul 2015 at 6:39am
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 10:36am
Was reading a preview yesterday that the Rapids had NEVER beaten Seattle at CenturyLink Field which was something of a surprise. So with Clint Dempsey & Obafemi Martins out and Colorado suddenly hitting a bit of form after an horrific season start I said I'll throw that in at a pretty price to ramp up an Accum and then almost forgot about it. 
Who only pops up in the 85th with a winner only Our man in Havana Doyler Clap Now owed a VERY LARGE G&T too BeerParty

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:05pm
What's up with the camera work there ha can't see a feckin thing , the young no.19 ran half the pitch you couldn't see it!!!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 6:05am
I shall be attending whitecaps v real salt lake tomorrow...hope the king rob earnshaw puts on a good show
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:26am
Quality banner in the N.Y. Derby

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:36am

https://youtu.be/iZqmF4YrzFM

There are not enough facepalms
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 11:52am
Saw that on social media last night. Words cannot explain, all I can say is the US cops have been murdering the wrong people
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:51pm
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:55pm
Keane could have had a hat trick already
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 8:58pm
Keane assist   1-0, NY ASLEEP!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

https://youtu.be/iZqmF4YrzFM

There are not enough facepalms

Ooh are ya!!!??
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:41pm
Keane scores   2-0
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:56pm
4 up. 1 goal, 2 assists
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 10:00pm
scored again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic