Wimbledon v MK Dons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm
Will this go to a replay or does it have to finish tonight?
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:22pm
Hon the Wombles!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

2-2 get the f**k in! Clap

Great stuff. ClapClap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:19pm
2-2 get the f**k in! Clap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:16pm
Dreasful club MK Dons. Embarrassed
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
Hoepfully Akinfenwa comes on and hammers in an equaliser, taking as many mk players out as possible
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 8:39pm
Mkdonalds 2-1 up
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:11pm
Come on you Wombles!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 7:08am
Theses two are playing each other again tonight in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 8:56am
I think the only way the bubble will burst is if clubs get selfish and try and go it alone with TV rights. As long as they stick together with the premier league, the money will be there from both domestic and international TV rights.

Clubs are more powerful now than ever, as you can see from FIFA getting rid of that stupid international friendly in August from 2014 to keep them happy.

I'll disagree with you on lower attendance = lower TV money. Stadiums could be empty and the TV money would still come in. What does someone in Malaysia care if the stadium is empty or full, they want to watch the team they support.

The companies that advertise on pitch side aren't Boddingtons or Harvey Norman, they are global brands like Nike, Carlsberg, Heineken, Sony, Samsung, etc. They don't give a sh*t about someone at the stadium seeing their brand, their target audience is someone in the likes of Tanzania or Asia.

If we're both still on ybig when it comes pace maker times, you can have my heart if it's still up to it! Thumbs Up
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 8:33am

Personally, I don’t have must time for must.

We will see! I have had this debate on here a few times.

I think the premiership bubble is going to burst eventually – may not be 5 years from now, not 10 years – but it will eventually.

I put up a link here before of an analysis done on the make up of supporters that go to the premiership which was done a few years ago. The average age of supporters that go to premiership matches was in the 40s

Ticket prices are too dear for quite a lot of people – especially families. Whereas older people were brought up on a culture of going to football matches week in, week out all their lives, they are going to try that bit harder to make the matches (I know of united supporters who remortgage their houses for their season tickets ffs)

Younger supporters coming through aren’t brought up on that culture – they might go every now and then, and watch the rest in the pub. But a lot of them wont be brought up on that culture of going week in, week out at all costs!

Eventually clubs will cop on and reduce prices – but as the younger people today weren’t brought up on a culture of going every week, it will be too late.

Lower attendance = lower tv money = lover advertising,etc

(bigger clubs that rely on a lot of overseas supporters won’t be hit as hard obviously)

Obviously we may have to revisit this thread when we have pace makers to prove that I was right Thumbs Up

Edited by Wheelo - 05 Dec 2012 at 8:39am
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 7:59pm
The value of United was too high for fans to buy it about 15 years ago. United are not going to go through a very bad financial spell as the Glazers commercial department are getting in ridiculous deals. Having bad results on the pitch, like not qualifying for the knock out stages of the Champions League last season hasn't had a major bearing on the debt.

Any sort of a boycott on a major scale is not going to happen at a large English club simply because there is too many individual interests rather than a group mentality. One United fan from Manchester or Mayo might want to still go to OT each season and support his/her team while another will boycott it. Is the person who boycotts a better supporter? No, but neither is the guy who goes, it's an individual choice. Isn't that what MUST preaches too? Your point is based on there being a boycott but it's not realistic at all.

Clubs in England can go on the way they are because the Premier League is a money making machine and there is no law to stop anyone buying a club. Do you also really think United or Liverpool will have low attendances in ten years? The world is in economic crisis but they are still selling out games and making unbelievable deals at a premier league level with TV rights and at a club level like United's deal with Chevrolet, Arsenal's with Emirates, etc.

It's all good and well saying fans like United's should show some backbone or that there should be a rule brought into English football like the one in Germany but it's not going to happen and fans who go on about boycotts, or inviting FC United's board up for talks and the like should realise that.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:14am

The value of united would be now too high probably despite been hundreds of millions of euro in debt. However, if they go through a very bad financial spell in servicing the debt or if the supporters boycotted properly (like they should have had the backbone to do rather than wave stupid green and yellow scarves), they wouldn’t have been attractive for many businessmen, so yeah, there is always the possibility…… - but if united supporters past actions are anything to go by (and with the amount of fans they have from other countries that go to matches that would replace those that boycott), there realistically isn’t.

If supporters completely boycott any club (match tickets, merchandise,etc), there’s no reason for a businessman to be interested in buying it, so it can be done.

It’s just a matter of supporters getting properly organized, have the balls and actually do it.

The idea is creeping in among supporters. I know celtic supporters groups invited a couple of the fc united up board up last year for a talk on supporters ownerships – 1 premiership club also (think it may have been Newcastle).

The clubs in england can’t go on as they are, with w******* coming in and buying any club they want, get what they can out of it, price the supporters out and treat them like crap, put the clubs future in danger and then f*** off

I’ll try get on the web at home over the weekend to get that figure of how many English clubs are in debt/financial trouble – businessmen running clubs isn’t working, its destroying clubs and the souls of clubs!

I know about that rule in germany – and a similar rule should be brought into england Thumbs Up

EDIT:

This is a actually a good piece which I’m after lifting from another thread

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/dec/01/german-fan-owned-clubs-bundesliga

Edited by Wheelo - 04 Dec 2012 at 11:13am
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

I think it’s a new ideal creeping into the game, and its going to take time for supporters to ditch a lifetime of what they’ve had to put up maybe? Theres an increasing number of supporters owned clubs creeping up in the lower leagues. You are right, Liverpool supporters should have done that!

Rangers were in the best position when it looked like they might make a stab at it. They should’ve boycotted the new club and set up themselves as a supporters run club.

Maybe theres not enough people with the back bone or balls to actually say ‘f*** it, lets do it’!

Think you hit the nail on the head there, people are lazy. United fans should have bought shares in '91 when the club first floated but hindsight is a friend of few people.

I presume you would agree that German football has some pretty big clubs? While not been fully owned by supporters,they have a huge involvement in the running of their clubs and it works well, with german football thriving.

The difference there though is that it's a league regulation that football companies must be majority owned by it's member association so at least 50% plus one of the shares. That rule isn't in England so you can't really compare like for like here. I was talking about England when I asked the question.

By the way, Hannover tried to change the rule a few years ago and were voted down by something like 32 votes to their one.

Also the Bundesliga is only about 50 years old too compared to the English football league and their 125 years of tradition (right and wrong), etc.

Looking closer to home, the supporters run model at shamrock rovers has worked well for a number of years now (as has the one at drogheda united over the last couple of years – though both should lower the annual fees to a tenner or something imo)

I think you’re wrong in stating that they’d let their heart rule their head – I know in drogheda and fc, they certainly don’t anyway! (that’s not to say ye wont get the odd one – like bohs!!). They’ve seen the actions that nearly killed their clubs (or other clubs) and don’t want to put their clubs in that position ever again by over spending to chase the dream (well no need for the ‘again’  with fc!!)

No reason at all, why supporters run clubs cant be a success in England –and hopefully we see it sooner rather than later! Take the game back to the people, make it affordable to everyone,etc

It could be a success in England, or anywhere really, but realistically by the time a clubs fanbase gather and mobilise some other businessman will come in and buy an attractive club like United, Liverpool, etc or the only way will be in the Pompey scenario where no-one else will touch them or in a new club like FC United and AFC Wimbledon.

When the Glazers do finally leave Old Trafford, can you really see a situation where MUST or someone like them could afford the club? Same with Liverpool and Fenway, it won't be a fans group that buys them, it will be another business person who is out to make a profit.

Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:36pm
Otsemobors goal LOL Clap

Have always remembered that name, he was at Liverpool for a while when he was younger.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:23pm

Of course there’ll be differences of opinions – that’s the way of the world no matter who runs a club ,be it businessmen or supporters.

I’m a shareholder/part owner of 2 clubs, fc united and drogheda united.

Pleanty of differences of opinions at fc united at the moment on certain things, but everyone is happy enough to go with the majority once a democratic vote is taken on it – even if they don’t agree with it themselves. It’s human nature that not everyone is going to agree.

I think it’s a new ideal creeping into the game, and its going to take time for supporters to ditch a lifetime of what they’ve had to put up maybe? Theres an increasing number of supporters owned clubs creeping up in the lower leagues. You are right, Liverpool supporters should have done that!

Rangers were in the best position when it looked like they might make a stab at it. They should’ve boycotted the new club and set up themselves as a supporters run club.

Maybe theres not enough people with the back bone or balls to actually say ‘f*** it, lets do it’!

I presume you would agree that German football has some pretty big clubs? While not been fully owned by supporters,they have a huge involvement in the running of their clubs and it works well, with german football thriving.

Looking closer to home, the supporters run model at shamrock rovers has worked well for a number of years now (as has the one at drogheda united over the last couple of years – though both should lower the annual fees to a tenner or something imo)

I think you’re wrong in stating that they’d let their heart rule their head – I know in drogheda and fc, they certainly don’t anyway! (that’s not to say ye wont get the odd one – like bohs!!). They’ve seen the actions that nearly killed their clubs (or other clubs) and don’t want to put their clubs in that position ever again by over spending to chase the dream (well no need for the ‘again’  with fc!!)

No reason at all, why supporters run clubs cant be a success in England –and hopefully we see it sooner rather than later! Take the game back to the people, make it affordable to everyone,etc

Edited by Wheelo - 03 Dec 2012 at 3:25pm
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:57pm
In theory it's a great idea but human nature means there will be a divide at some stage. If AFC Wimbledon get into League one/championship for example, they will need to move and are planning on moving to the dog track in Wimbledon but you're talking serious money and it is hard for fans to agree on things when it gets to that level. There will be a split at some stage with the AFC fans, it's inevitable when it comes to human nature.

If you think they are going to be more and more popular, why didn't these AFC Wimbledon fans buy Wimbledon back towards the end of the 90s/start of the noughties? Why didn't Liverpool fans make a proper serious attempt to buy them when the club had its back to the wall at the end of Gillett and Hicks reign? I know the Portsmouth supporters trust are nearly there with pompey but no-one else is/was interested in taking on that club. There is also serious rows within the PST over that property developer Robinson buying Fratton Park and leasing it back to the PST.

Supporters would probably do worse than businessmen because they will let their hearts rule their heads most of the time.

What do you class as 'bigger ones' by the way, are we talking Portsmouth here or are we talking a Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle?

Good debate here by the way, some of the other posters on ybig could learn it's not personal and you don't have to start resorting to insults when people have different viewpoint. Thumbs Up
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:20pm

Tbh I knew the above 2 facts, but as for the council holding on to the trophy, it was good enough for wimbledon to accept so was happy enough to say it was given to them, even though it technically wasnt (wouldn’t have been good enough for me if I was in their shoes) – should have said taken away from mk to be more accurate

I would have suspected wimbledons views were asked re: calling off the boycott – but I am only speculating.

Why can’t every club be run by supporters? Its not as if businessmen are doing a great job running football clubs in england. There was a crazy stat given at some supporters conference in Manchester a few weeks ago, about how many clubs are in debt in the football league in England. I cant remember the figure and it was on a video I saw of the event so cant google the figure – but ill try watch it again from home when I next get a chance and post it up here

Supporters certainly wouldn’t do any worse than businessmen. In fact, supporters are the only ones that care about their club and not out to make a quick buck out of it! At least then clubs would be in the hands of people that actually care about the club.

I think you’re 100% wrong on that view re: supporters run club! I think they’re going to get more and more popular especially when a couple of bigger ones are in danger of going bust and a supporters trust save them!

And lets be honest, out of a few thousands supporters at clubs, the expertise would be in there to run a stable football club

Edited by Wheelo - 03 Dec 2012 at 2:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic