Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=41898
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wimbledon v MK Dons
Posted By: corkery
Subject: Wimbledon v MK Dons
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:16pm
Due to play each other in the next round of the cup. Not expecting any away fans.

Replies:
Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:24pm
yeah, heard AFC fans will boycott it, probably feel MK are a non-club, fair play. it would be ironic if they get the planned move to wimbledon greyhound track. All that time battling their London borough, merton, to give them a site when in division 1, and they could end up a stones throw from Plough Lane with a club started from scratch, some story

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:16am
Boy so much am I on the side of AFC on this one Hug

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:25pm
I think football fans everywhere will wish the real Dons the very best of luck

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Wearmouth
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

I think football fans everywhere will wish the real Dons the very best of luck
spot on.

-------------
Charlie Hurley a true legend

Posted By: Mulvanystrasse
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:47pm
Hope the wombles win, Plough Lane was a tight ground but the rise of Wimbledon shows there is some hope for real football fans in England.   

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Mulvanystrasse Mulvanystrasse wrote:

Hope the wombles win, Plough Lane was a tight ground but the rise of Wimbledon shows there is some hope for real football fans in England.   

Hope the proper Wimbledon stuff them the MK Dons should never have been allowed to happen.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:44pm
Hope Afc win, this whole situation is very  similar to what has happened here, between Austria Salzburg and Red Bull Salzburg,a story of loyal fans would do anything for their club and a Billionaire who took over and changed everything from the Clubs name to the colour  of their shirt, worth the 5minute watch     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LBn7acFVM" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LBn7acFVM

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:48pm

The sad thing is if they had’ve got the move to Dublin, majority of the muppets on here would have creamed themselves!

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

The sad thing is if they had’ve got the move to Dublin, majority of the muppets on here would have creamed themselves!

Such a pointless post

Why do you even bother

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:26pm

do you think it would have worked ? i dont think the dublin team would have got much support at all

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:27pm
MK Dons will butcher them

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

do you think it would have worked ? i dont think the dublin team would have got much support at all

If it went ahead I would have absolutely loved if it went absolutely t!ts up! -

Just like I hope MK dons go t!ts up

But I remember when it was been talked about a load of my barstooling mates (from drogheda) that don’t bother with the league of Ireland were talking about getting season tickets,etc for them.

Knowing irish fans though, the novelty would have worn off after a while – especially if they had’ve gone down a league or two

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:42pm

If it went ahead I would have absolutely loved if it went absolutely t!ts up! -

Just like I hope MK dons go t!ts up

But I remember when it was been talked about a load of my barstooling mates (from drogheda) that don’t bother with the league of Ireland were talking about getting season tickets,etc for them.

Knowing irish fans though, the novelty would have worn off after a while – especially if they had’ve gone down a league or two

it was never going to work , LOI fans woudl have boycotted and the barstoolers would have fallen away , only way would have been immediate and continued success on the pitch , and no team can get that ,

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:47pm

LOI fans woudl have boycotted and the barstoolers would have fallen away 

Yeah I agree with ye on both counts!

But I do think if it went ahead a lot of here would’ve creamed themselves at the start over it! Sure sky would’ve told them it was great, and they’d have believed it!!

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 4:50pm

But I do think if it went ahead a lot of here would’ve creamed themselves at the start over it! Sure sky would’ve told them it was great, and they’d have believed it!!

It was a bit like that Sunderland love fest during the boom...that has seriously died away now that Drumaville, Keane and Quinn have gone (never mind the boom going boom).

It would've been hideous having them relocated to Dublin.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:36pm
Potential to be the biggest FA Cup game EVER!

C'mon AFC! Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 2:09am
I think they changed some rules after the move. There's a rake of it goes on up in Scotland.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 6:27am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It was a bit like that Sunderland love fest during the boom...that has seriously died away now that Drumaville, Keane and Quinn have gone (never mind the boom going boom).

It would've been hideous having them relocated to Dublin.

SAFC have still got a good Irish support  and always have had.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 12:08pm
http://squarefootball.net/default.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://squarefootball.net/default.aspx

-------------

Posted By: Drumaville
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 9:36am
What channel is this on thanks.

-------------
Double Maxim draught in the Derry pub now you are talking.

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:47am

Replay all over this one.

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Drumaville Drumaville wrote:

What channel is this on thanks.

ITV 1 kick off 12.30

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 11:57am
M K DONS will do them easliy....the history of the clubs wont matter to the players and the stronger side will win out,which is the dons.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

the stronger side will win out,which is the dons.

Yes, that always happens in the FA cup.

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

the stronger side will win out,which is the dons.

Yes, that always happens in the FA cup.

Yeah, never a shock in the FA Cup, I mean, imagine if wimbledon had ever won the thing LOL

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 8:51pm

http://www.afinelung.com/?p=5110" rel="nofollow - http://www.afinelung.com/?p=5110

(funny thing on the above is that alot of irish people would be delighted if man utd were moved to dublin LOL)

A bit surprised and disappointed the dons have not boycotted this match!! Anyway, hopefully we see an upset tomorrow!!

-------------

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:36pm
Come on the real Dons

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:37pm
Should be a cracker Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:38pm
Neil Sullivan still going  Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:42pm
Come on the wombles.

-------------

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:45pm
It's like the Colts against the Ravens

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 12:56pm
see the cute blond in the crowd (could be jail bait though)

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:01pm
Just realized Paul  Daniels is reffing this one  LOL

-------------

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

see the cute blond in the crowd (could be jail bait though)
any pics? thought this was a 1pm kick off and was watching the darts Ouch

but would I be the only one on here cheering for MK? Well run club who play probably the best football in league 1 and after the blades would be my favourite team in league 1 (mostly cause of betting on them but sure Big smile)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:16pm
Jesus,what a strike!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:16pm
GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOO

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:25pm
sh*te match. I'm starting to feel less sympathy for Wimbledon fans. Get the f**k over it. Wimbledon fc never belonged to them, they were just punters/customers. The new club is their club rather than some eccentric millionaires club. They're in a much better situation now than they were when Wimbledon fc moved up the road.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:47pm
Cracking header  Clap    game on!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:48pm
Get in brilliant they got a moment like that now regardless... Wimbeeeeeeeeeeldon Wimbeleeeeeeeeldon

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:49pm
the pitch invasion wasent long retreating .

Fair play. It d be some craic being in with the wimbledon fans for that

-------------

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:51pm
Get in there. Great header.

Cant even begin to imagine what that goal meant to their fansClap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:56pm
Top top goal   

MK should have the book thrown at them for letting those people on the pitch

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:02pm
We should organize a ybig AFC Wimbledon bandwagon football package trip for the return game if they get the draw. It d be some session that night

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

We should organize a ybig AFC Wimbledon bandwagon football package trip for the return game if they get the draw. It d be some session that night

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:20pm
92mins   sick for Wimbledon  Dead

-------------

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:20pm
f**k sake

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:23pm
Top top flick, the defender probably would dealt with it were he not being held down. Defenders deserve everything they get though

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:25pm
Good goal alright, devo for the dons

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:27pm
Gutted for the Dons hopefully they be up the divisions in the coming years.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 2:56pm
No reward in the 3rd round draw for MK Dons then, having to go to a proper sh*t hole of a place Thumbs Down

On the plus side at least they will be in the 4th round draw Big smile

And was a great goal to win it for them Clap  (if that was scored by a top epl or la liga player most on here would be drooling like fuk over it)

-------------

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

No reward in the 3rd round draw for MK Dons then, having to go to a proper sh*t hole of a place Thumbs Down

And was a great goal to win it for them Clap  (if that was scored by a top epl or la liga player most on here would be drooling like fuk over it)

Jaysus f**kin christ Philly how on earth can you like that franchise shower? No tradition, no history and most importantly no loyalty, disgusting club!! Gutted for the real dons but they can hold their heads high, how far they have come is incredible and gives me hope that there is still genuine fans involved in football...top scenes in the away end too for the goal they will never forget that moment as long as they live...

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Jaysus f**kin christ Philly how on earth can you like that franchise shower? No tradition, no history and most importantly no loyalty, disgusting club!! Gutted for the real dons but they can hold their heads high, how far they have come is incredible and gives me hope that there is still genuine fans involved in football...top scenes in the away end too for the goal they will never forget that moment as long as they live...
I take teams as I see them and having me team stuck in league 1 for the last 18months have taken to a quite a few clubs in the league and would promote MK Dons as the model club these days in that they are usually a very positive club in terms of media and their idea's for football in their area. Decent stadium as well and most importantly they play great ball usually and for me Karl Robinson should be managing in the epl but off course no club would take the risk on him.

Wish AFC Wimbledon well(they need it this season judging on their results) but if the owners back then didnt move the club to MK there was going to be no club at all and I dont get the whole outcry from fans of other clubs about what happened. One fans loss has become another fan from MK's team and have to say anytime have seen MK play in last 2 seasons there fans have been a credit to the club Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Agreed. Didn't the same thing happen in Austria with Red Bull Salzburg, didn't they set up their own team after they changed their name and colours from the original Austria Salzburg.

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:42am
Went to the game yesterday with two mates, good fun. Lovely stadium and did feel a bit sorry for the MK Dons fans in one sense, they were on a hiding to nothing. It's not their fault that Wimbledon FC were badly run or not supported enough in the latter years in Selhurst Park.

As for this argument about no tradition, no history, no loyalty etc. Did Liverpool or United have a history or tradition when they first started up? Arsenal moved from Woolwich, south London to Highbury, north London, 26 years after they were formed. Do people who have a hatred for MK Dons have any ill-feelings towards Arsenal doing the same thing?

What AFC Wimbledon fans did in forming the club was amazing and fair play to them. That's twice I've seen them play this season and the fans are brilliant but the team is shocking. They will struggle massively this season and if they avoid relegation, they will be doing well.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:50am

but if the owners back then didnt move the club to MK there was going to be no club at all and I dont get the whole outcry from fans of other clubs about what happened.

You don’t understand the whole outcry from other supporters? Maybe because they know how wrong it was that happened. If it happened to wimbledon, there’s nothing stopping it happening to another club.

This whole talk of that c*** saving the dons on the day they were going bust doesn’t tell the full story.

After the move was said to be going ahead, the dons started boycotting the matches and started setting up their own club.

It was an absolute disgrace what happened – and in fairness to that c***, hes admitted it last week that it shouldn’t have been allowed happened!

If they wanted to set up a club for MK, they should have set up a new club at the lower leagues like the dons have done and work their way up

I really hope MK go bust, and the sooner the better.

As for the dons, I wish them all the best and hopefully they keep going from strength to strength (I still think they made the wrong decision yesterday though, and should have sent back an unsold allocation, and boycotted the match)

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:14am
In one sense, there is a certain amount of hypocrisy about the AFC Wimbledon fans and the holier than thou attitude will come back to be thrown in their face in future years if they do progress up the leagues as it becomes a business more than a fans club. The average attendance at Wimbledon home games in 93/94 was just over 8,000. Just over 10,000 the year after, peaking at 19,000 in the 98/99 season.

It was the independent three man panel that gave Pete Winkelman the go ahead to move, it was their fault, not supporters of MK Dons now. If you lived there (and there is little or nothing there, it's like a freaky American Outlet village without the discounts) and a club suddenly showed up in a lovely new stadium, most people would go too. 

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

if they do progress up the leagues as it becomes a business more than a fans club. 

In fairness, it will always be a fans run club unless the fans vote it not to be. 1 member , 1 vote – the way it should be at all clubs. Very easy to change the direction of the club, if they feel it’s going the wrong way.

As for mk and the people of mk, they basically robbed another clubs league place. They should never have been allowed to do that. If they wanted a club there so badly, they should have set up their own club and got promoted through the leagues (just like wimbledon had to do for a second time!!)

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 9:58am

Originally posted by seaniemac seaniemac wrote:

if they do progress up the leagues as it becomes a business more than a fans club. 

In fairness, it will always be a fans run club unless the fans vote it not to be. 1 member , 1 vote – the way it should be at all clubs. Very easy to change the direction of the club, if they feel it’s going the wrong way.

As for mk and the people of mk, they basically robbed another clubs league place. They should never have been allowed to do that. If they wanted a club there so badly, they should have set up their own club and got promoted through the leagues (just like wimbledon had to do for a second time!!)

Explain to me how the "people of Milton Keynes" robbed another Clubs league place?! You can, rightly, accuse Pete Winkelman or even better, the two guys on the Independent FA panel who voted in favour of it (Raj Parker and Steve Stride), but the people of Milton Keynes?!

Winkelman has come out with a lot of crap over the years but he made a valid point too recently, why didn't the AFC Wimbledon fans buy Wimbledon when they had the chance?

It's not the MK Dons fans fault that the the independent panel gave Winkelman the approval to move. If you're going to blame people, blame the right people.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:15am

Of course I blame the people that allowed the move (though wasn’t it only 2 out of the 3 that voted for it?).

But if the people of MK wanted their own football club, they should have set up their own club and started at the bottom like every other new club – rather than support a club that was taken away from the supporters of that club

I really hope they go bust – and the sooner the better

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:44am

Of course I blame the people that allowed the move (though wasn’t it only 2 out of the 3 that voted for it?).

But if the people of MK wanted their own football club, they should have set up their own club and started at the bottom like every other new club – rather than support a club that was taken away from the supporters of that club

I really hope they go bust – and the sooner the better

Whether you like it or not, the MK Dons will not be going bust anytime soon. Formation aside, they are a very well run club with a fantastic stadium that has easily potential to expand by seating the top teir around three of the four stands that currently lie empty. The stadium was also on the shortlist of stadiums for the failed World Cup 2018 England bid. They have a very good squad, a good manager and play some great football, they will be there or thereabouts for promotion to the Championship in the next few seasons, if not this season. They are about an hour from London so if they do start getting promoted, they will be able to attract players cos they can live in London also. They are averaging around 8,500 a game, which is the 6th highest in League One.

The two I mentioned above are the two that voted for it on the three man panel. Alan Turvey, the chairman of the Ryman League was the one who voted against it.

There was a local club in Milton Keynes but it folded around the same time as MK Dons started. Business people like Winkelman put MK Dons together, not the locals so blaming them is pointless. If you lived there and a new team started in a brand spanking new stadium, most people would want to be a part of that, whether you like it or not.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:13am

Personally I could never support a club that was formed in the way mk were formed – even if it was on my door step Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:41am

Personally I could never support a club that was formed in the way mk were formed – even if it was on my door step Thumbs Down

Fully understand that Wheelo but it's not the locals fault it happened. Plus, from looking at the home crowd yesterday, it was a very young crowd so MK Dons are doing something to attract them.

Most AFC Wimbledon fans I spoke to yesterday and at a league game I was at in September would be happy for MK to drop the Dons title and allow them to claim the history of Wimbledon FC and leave it at that.

There is an element of untruths surrounding AFC though, like they were going to boycott the game. They got 2,200 tickets and then asked MK Dons for another 1,000 (which they got). Some of the facts seem to be lost in the romance of AFC Wimbledon and people believe stuff that isn't as black and white as they make it seem.

It is a great story and fair play to them but at some stage, they will face some tough decisions and face criticism/a backlash for some of the myth surrounding them.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:57am

Regardless on if mk are doing everything right in the community, getting young people to the matches,etc now – it’s still not right what they did.

They could have done all that without robbing another clubs league place – and could have started a new club and worked their way up through the leagues.

I don’t understand what you mean when talking about the ‘myth surrounding them’ though? I think it’s great what they did, set up their own club after their previous one was robbed on them, make it affordable for supporters to become members, 1 member 1 vote (no matter how much money someone has) – and the set up can only be changed by vote by the members/supporters.

Every club in England should be like that – in fact, every club in the world should have a set up like that!

While I don’t agree with them attending yesterday (nothing to do with me though, is it?), they did ask supporters of other clubs to call off their boycott at mk after they were given the fa cup back! However, even with that, they still should have boycotted the match despite getting a share of the gate– some things are more important than money!

-------------

Posted By: Vaux
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 11:58am

This.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:00pm

Regardless on if mk are doing everything right in the community, getting young people to the matches,etc now – it’s still not right what they did.

They could have done all that without robbing another clubs league place – and could have started a new club and worked their way up through the leagues.

I don’t understand what you mean when talking about the ‘myth surrounding them’ though? I think it’s great what they did, set up their own club after their previous one was robbed on them, make it affordable for supporters to become members, 1 member 1 vote (no matter how much money someone has) – and the set up can only be changed by vote by the members/supporters.

Every club in England should be like that – in fact, every club in the world should have a set up like that!

While I don’t agree with them attending yesterday (nothing to do with me though, is it?), they did ask supporters of other clubs to call off their boycott at mk after they were given the fa cup back! However, even with that, they still should have boycotted the match despite getting a share of the gate– some things are more important than money!

They weren't given the FA Cup back though. The medals and Wimbledon FC trademarks were transferred to Merton, the London borough that Wimbledon originated from. AFC Wimbledon don't have them. Merton do and they legally have to stay in Merton as part of the agreement Winkelman made with Merton. They can only be given to AFC Wimbledon if they move back to Merton borough. MK Dons dropped any claims to anything Wimbledon won. The football supporters federation then recognised MK Dons supporters and stopped appealing to other clubs to boycott the club. It was hardly a massive boycott in the first place, most supporters don't even know of the existence of the FSF.

It's false facts like the above two examples highlight that most people take as gospel is what I'm on about when it comes to 'myths' about AFC Wimbledon.

While what they have accomplished is brilliant, there is a lot of rose tinted glasses regarding them too.

The reality is that AFC Wimbledon are only like the way they are is because of MK Dons. Man United, Arsenal, etc are long established and run the way they are cos it's a business at the end of the day and most fans simply refuse to see that clearly. Just cos they (the fans) love their club, doesn't mean the owners have the same love for it. Football is a business nowerdays, a very big money making business and why it is admirable, thinking every club should be run like AFC Wimbledon, isn't going to happen.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:20pm

Tbh I knew the above 2 facts, but as for the council holding on to the trophy, it was good enough for wimbledon to accept so was happy enough to say it was given to them, even though it technically wasnt (wouldn’t have been good enough for me if I was in their shoes) – should have said taken away from mk to be more accurate

I would have suspected wimbledons views were asked re: calling off the boycott – but I am only speculating.

Why can’t every club be run by supporters? Its not as if businessmen are doing a great job running football clubs in england. There was a crazy stat given at some supporters conference in Manchester a few weeks ago, about how many clubs are in debt in the football league in England. I cant remember the figure and it was on a video I saw of the event so cant google the figure – but ill try watch it again from home when I next get a chance and post it up here

Supporters certainly wouldn’t do any worse than businessmen. In fact, supporters are the only ones that care about their club and not out to make a quick buck out of it! At least then clubs would be in the hands of people that actually care about the club.

I think you’re 100% wrong on that view re: supporters run club! I think they’re going to get more and more popular especially when a couple of bigger ones are in danger of going bust and a supporters trust save them!

And lets be honest, out of a few thousands supporters at clubs, the expertise would be in there to run a stable football club

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 2:57pm
In theory it's a great idea but human nature means there will be a divide at some stage. If AFC Wimbledon get into League one/championship for example, they will need to move and are planning on moving to the dog track in Wimbledon but you're talking serious money and it is hard for fans to agree on things when it gets to that level. There will be a split at some stage with the AFC fans, it's inevitable when it comes to human nature.

If you think they are going to be more and more popular, why didn't these AFC Wimbledon fans buy Wimbledon back towards the end of the 90s/start of the noughties? Why didn't Liverpool fans make a proper serious attempt to buy them when the club had its back to the wall at the end of Gillett and Hicks reign? I know the Portsmouth supporters trust are nearly there with pompey but no-one else is/was interested in taking on that club. There is also serious rows within the PST over that property developer Robinson buying Fratton Park and leasing it back to the PST.

Supporters would probably do worse than businessmen because they will let their hearts rule their heads most of the time.

What do you class as 'bigger ones' by the way, are we talking Portsmouth here or are we talking a Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle?

Good debate here by the way, some of the other posters on ybig could learn it's not personal and you don't have to start resorting to insults when people have different viewpoint. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:23pm

Of course there’ll be differences of opinions – that’s the way of the world no matter who runs a club ,be it businessmen or supporters.

I’m a shareholder/part owner of 2 clubs, fc united and drogheda united.

Pleanty of differences of opinions at fc united at the moment on certain things, but everyone is happy enough to go with the majority once a democratic vote is taken on it – even if they don’t agree with it themselves. It’s human nature that not everyone is going to agree.

I think it’s a new ideal creeping into the game, and its going to take time for supporters to ditch a lifetime of what they’ve had to put up maybe? Theres an increasing number of supporters owned clubs creeping up in the lower leagues. You are right, Liverpool supporters should have done that!

Rangers were in the best position when it looked like they might make a stab at it. They should’ve boycotted the new club and set up themselves as a supporters run club.

Maybe theres not enough people with the back bone or balls to actually say ‘f*** it, lets do it’!

I presume you would agree that German football has some pretty big clubs? While not been fully owned by supporters,they have a huge involvement in the running of their clubs and it works well, with german football thriving.

Looking closer to home, the supporters run model at shamrock rovers has worked well for a number of years now (as has the one at drogheda united over the last couple of years – though both should lower the annual fees to a tenner or something imo)

I think you’re wrong in stating that they’d let their heart rule their head – I know in drogheda and fc, they certainly don’t anyway! (that’s not to say ye wont get the odd one – like bohs!!). They’ve seen the actions that nearly killed their clubs (or other clubs) and don’t want to put their clubs in that position ever again by over spending to chase the dream (well no need for the ‘again’  with fc!!)

No reason at all, why supporters run clubs cant be a success in England –and hopefully we see it sooner rather than later! Take the game back to the people, make it affordable to everyone,etc

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 3:36pm
Otsemobors goal LOL Clap

Have always remembered that name, he was at Liverpool for a while when he was younger.

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 4:08pm

I think it’s a new ideal creeping into the game, and its going to take time for supporters to ditch a lifetime of what they’ve had to put up maybe? Theres an increasing number of supporters owned clubs creeping up in the lower leagues. You are right, Liverpool supporters should have done that!

Rangers were in the best position when it looked like they might make a stab at it. They should’ve boycotted the new club and set up themselves as a supporters run club.

Maybe theres not enough people with the back bone or balls to actually say ‘f*** it, lets do it’!

Think you hit the nail on the head there, people are lazy. United fans should have bought shares in '91 when the club first floated but hindsight is a friend of few people.

I presume you would agree that German football has some pretty big clubs? While not been fully owned by supporters,they have a huge involvement in the running of their clubs and it works well, with german football thriving.

The difference there though is that it's a league regulation that football companies must be majority owned by it's member association so at least 50% plus one of the shares. That rule isn't in England so you can't really compare like for like here. I was talking about England when I asked the question.

By the way, Hannover tried to change the rule a few years ago and were voted down by something like 32 votes to their one.

Also the Bundesliga is only about 50 years old too compared to the English football league and their 125 years of tradition (right and wrong), etc.

Looking closer to home, the supporters run model at shamrock rovers has worked well for a number of years now (as has the one at drogheda united over the last couple of years – though both should lower the annual fees to a tenner or something imo)

I think you’re wrong in stating that they’d let their heart rule their head – I know in drogheda and fc, they certainly don’t anyway! (that’s not to say ye wont get the odd one – like bohs!!). They’ve seen the actions that nearly killed their clubs (or other clubs) and don’t want to put their clubs in that position ever again by over spending to chase the dream (well no need for the ‘again’  with fc!!)

No reason at all, why supporters run clubs cant be a success in England –and hopefully we see it sooner rather than later! Take the game back to the people, make it affordable to everyone,etc

It could be a success in England, or anywhere really, but realistically by the time a clubs fanbase gather and mobilise some other businessman will come in and buy an attractive club like United, Liverpool, etc or the only way will be in the Pompey scenario where no-one else will touch them or in a new club like FC United and AFC Wimbledon.

When the Glazers do finally leave Old Trafford, can you really see a situation where MUST or someone like them could afford the club? Same with Liverpool and Fenway, it won't be a fans group that buys them, it will be another business person who is out to make a profit.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:14am

The value of united would be now too high probably despite been hundreds of millions of euro in debt. However, if they go through a very bad financial spell in servicing the debt or if the supporters boycotted properly (like they should have had the backbone to do rather than wave stupid green and yellow scarves), they wouldn’t have been attractive for many businessmen, so yeah, there is always the possibility…… - but if united supporters past actions are anything to go by (and with the amount of fans they have from other countries that go to matches that would replace those that boycott), there realistically isn’t.

If supporters completely boycott any club (match tickets, merchandise,etc), there’s no reason for a businessman to be interested in buying it, so it can be done.

It’s just a matter of supporters getting properly organized, have the balls and actually do it.

The idea is creeping in among supporters. I know celtic supporters groups invited a couple of the fc united up board up last year for a talk on supporters ownerships – 1 premiership club also (think it may have been Newcastle).

The clubs in england can’t go on as they are, with w******* coming in and buying any club they want, get what they can out of it, price the supporters out and treat them like crap, put the clubs future in danger and then f*** off

I’ll try get on the web at home over the weekend to get that figure of how many English clubs are in debt/financial trouble – businessmen running clubs isn’t working, its destroying clubs and the souls of clubs!

I know about that rule in germany – and a similar rule should be brought into england Thumbs Up

EDIT:

This is a actually a good piece which I’m after lifting from another thread

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/dec/01/german-fan-owned-clubs-bundesliga" rel="nofollow - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/dec/01/german-fan-owned-clubs-bundesliga

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 7:59pm
The value of United was too high for fans to buy it about 15 years ago. United are not going to go through a very bad financial spell as the Glazers commercial department are getting in ridiculous deals. Having bad results on the pitch, like not qualifying for the knock out stages of the Champions League last season hasn't had a major bearing on the debt.

Any sort of a boycott on a major scale is not going to happen at a large English club simply because there is too many individual interests rather than a group mentality. One United fan from Manchester or Mayo might want to still go to OT each season and support his/her team while another will boycott it. Is the person who boycotts a better supporter? No, but neither is the guy who goes, it's an individual choice. Isn't that what MUST preaches too? Your point is based on there being a boycott but it's not realistic at all.

Clubs in England can go on the way they are because the Premier League is a money making machine and there is no law to stop anyone buying a club. Do you also really think United or Liverpool will have low attendances in ten years? The world is in economic crisis but they are still selling out games and making unbelievable deals at a premier league level with TV rights and at a club level like United's deal with Chevrolet, Arsenal's with Emirates, etc.

It's all good and well saying fans like United's should show some backbone or that there should be a rule brought into English football like the one in Germany but it's not going to happen and fans who go on about boycotts, or inviting FC United's board up for talks and the like should realise that.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 8:33am

Personally, I don’t have must time for must.

We will see! I have had this debate on here a few times.

I think the premiership bubble is going to burst eventually – may not be 5 years from now, not 10 years – but it will eventually.

I put up a link here before of an analysis done on the make up of supporters that go to the premiership which was done a few years ago. The average age of supporters that go to premiership matches was in the 40s

Ticket prices are too dear for quite a lot of people – especially families. Whereas older people were brought up on a culture of going to football matches week in, week out all their lives, they are going to try that bit harder to make the matches (I know of united supporters who remortgage their houses for their season tickets ffs)

Younger supporters coming through aren’t brought up on that culture – they might go every now and then, and watch the rest in the pub. But a lot of them wont be brought up on that culture of going week in, week out at all costs!

Eventually clubs will cop on and reduce prices – but as the younger people today weren’t brought up on a culture of going every week, it will be too late.

Lower attendance = lower tv money = lover advertising,etc

(bigger clubs that rely on a lot of overseas supporters won’t be hit as hard obviously)

Obviously we may have to revisit this thread when we have pace makers to prove that I was right Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 8:56am
I think the only way the bubble will burst is if clubs get selfish and try and go it alone with TV rights. As long as they stick together with the premier league, the money will be there from both domestic and international TV rights.

Clubs are more powerful now than ever, as you can see from FIFA getting rid of that stupid international friendly in August from 2014 to keep them happy.

I'll disagree with you on lower attendance = lower TV money. Stadiums could be empty and the TV money would still come in. What does someone in Malaysia care if the stadium is empty or full, they want to watch the team they support.

The companies that advertise on pitch side aren't Boddingtons or Harvey Norman, they are global brands like Nike, Carlsberg, Heineken, Sony, Samsung, etc. They don't give a sh*t about someone at the stadium seeing their brand, their target audience is someone in the likes of Tanzania or Asia.

If we're both still on ybig when it comes pace maker times, you can have my heart if it's still up to it! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 7:08am
Theses two are playing each other again tonight in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:11pm
Come on you Wombles!

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 8:39pm
Mkdonalds 2-1 up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:00pm
Hoepfully Akinfenwa comes on and hammers in an equaliser, taking as many mk players out as possible

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:16pm
Dreasful club MK Dons. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:19pm
2-2 get the f**k in! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

2-2 get the f**k in! Clap

Great stuff. ClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:22pm
Hon the Wombles!

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm
Will this go to a replay or does it have to finish tonight?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:29pm
Finish tonight

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Will this go to a replay or does it have to finish tonight?

Penos I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:31pm
AKINFENWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 3-2!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:32pm
Get the feck in. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:33pm
Superb stuff

-------------

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:36pm
Excellent!!!...... hate that Dongs club
Come on the real Dons

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:37pm
There will be tears in Sw19

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:43pm
2 3 final score. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:45pm
outstanding, and akinfenwa got the winner too Cool definition of a beast

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Come on the real Dons

Luton lost to Crawley as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Come on the real Dons

Luton lost to Crawley as well.

Indeed...... happy days

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:58pm
Why do people give a sh*t about these two sh*te teams ?

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
Well I used to go watch them regularly and I think the story is one most football fans can identify with. Hollywood could not write the script for their story. There are enough Irishmen give a sh*te about teams in Liverpool and Manchester

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Well I used to go watch them regularly and I think the story is one most football fans can identify with. Hollywood could not write the script for their story. There are enough Irishmen give a sh*te about teams in Liverpool and Manchester

Well said CB .... a great story of resolve !!

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:08pm
Fair enough . I don't see what the attraction is personally unless you are a supporter . There's plenty of clubs in Ireland that had a similar fate . All this get in there carry on is bizarre imo

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:09pm
They were told their club had died, it was over. In the league less than a decade late and beating those that destroyed them.
Show me the way to Plough Lane!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net