You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Oasis Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:42am

After careful consideration - Top 10 -

10. Rock n Roll Star

9. Slide Away

8. Stop Crying Your Heart Out

7. Whatever

6. Masterplan

5. Supersonic

4. Hello

3. Live Forever

2. Some Might Say

1. Dont Look Back in Anger

Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Shebber Shebber wrote:

Beavis, to say people who like Oasis don't have an appreciation of good music is deeply patronising and hugely inaccurate.
Apolgies, not intended to come across like this. I think I've been somewhat polarised with my campervan trip in Poland still fresh in the mind. My (otherwise very sound - in case he's reading) mate would only put on Oasis and dismiss any of my stuff that wasn't instantly accessible. Hearing the 30th spin of WTSMG while nursing a severe hangover tipped me over the edge.

Anyway my beef is not with people who like Oasis (I stuck on The Masterplan yesterday) but with those who think they are the greatest thing to ever happen to music. You clearly aren't one of those.
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

like who?

How long ye got?...studying like a mofo at the moment but will give a comprehensive list later if it so pleases.

Edited by Beavis - 29 Oct 2012 at 12:14pm
<insert witty comment>
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 12:15pm
just want names, dont need reasons

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 1:02am
So, bands that were putting out albums of genuine quality from start to finish in the period of the demise of Oasis to their breakup, roughly 1998-2010. Scanning through the ipod this what I can think of...also sure there are many quality albums in that period I've yet to meet.

Animal Collective (Feels, Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavillion)
The Antlers (Hospice)
Arcade Fire (Funeral)
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (Before Today)
Battles (Mirrored)
Beach House (Teen Dream)
Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)
Bloc Party (Silent Alarm)
Blur (13, Think Tank)
Boards of Canada (Music Has the Right To Children)
Bon Iver (For Emma, Forever Ago)
Broken Social Scene (You Forgot it in People, Eponymous)
Burial (Untrue)
Caribou (Swim)
The Chemical Brothers (Surrender, Come with Us)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Epopnymous)
Crystal Castles (Eponymous I)
. I doubt you want me to bore you with anymore. All the above bands put out at least one quality album during this period. Oasis didn't, though the culminative following of all the above bands still wouldn't match the popularity of Oasis to this day.

<insert witty comment>
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 11:52am
I though Dig Out Your Soul was very good
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

So, bands that were putting out albums of genuine quality from start to finish in the period of the demise of Oasis to their breakup, roughly 1998-2010. Scanning through the ipod this what I can think of...also sure there are many quality albums in that period I've yet to meet.

The Antlers (Hospice)
Arcade Fire (Funeral)
Battles (Mirrored)
Beach House (Teen Dream)
Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)
Blur (13, Think Tank)
Burial (Untrue)
Caribou (Swim)
. I doubt you want me to bore you with anymore. All the above bands put out at least one quality album during this period. Oasis didn't, though the culminative following of all the above bands still wouldn't match the popularity of Oasis to this day.

Some absolutely amazing albums listed above! And notice Beavis only got as far as 'C'.

Big fan of that Antlers album, and if anybody here hasnt heard Swim by Caribou youre missing out. Get on it! So many albums above that are miles and miles better than anything put out by Oasis in that period.

I'd add a few off the top of my head that were quality from start to finish

Sigur Rós (Ágætis Byrjun, Takk)
Radiohead (Kid A, In Rainbows)
Daft Punk (Discovery)
Kings of Leon (Aha Shake Heartbreak)
Modest Mouse (Good News For People Who Love Bad News)

... amongst several other brilliant albums made between 98 and 2010

Edited by rolo - 30 Oct 2012 at 1:36pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:42am
Hindu Times, haven't heard it in ages, quite an under-rated tune
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

The Antlers (Hospice)

Arcade Fire (Funeral)

Battles (Mirrored)

Beach House (Teen Dream)

Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)

Blur (13, Think Tank)

Burial (Untrue)

Caribou (Swim)

Some absolutely amazing albums listed above! And notice Beavis only got as far as 'C'.

Big
fan of that Antlers album, and if anybody here hasnt heard Swim by
Caribou youre missing out. Get on it! So many albums above that are
miles and miles better than anything put out by Oasis in that period.

Daft Punk (Discovery)

no prob with any of those

add

Depeche mode
Goldfrapp
Gossip
Hercules love story
Nick cave and the bad seeds
Kosheen
Morcheeba
Groove armada
Amy winehouse
underworld
Leftfield
Bellx1
The frames
The Roots
NERD
Eminem
snowpatrol
Deep Dish
Hercules love story

AND LOTS MORE
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:54am
Supersonic
Acquiesce
Bring it on Down
Some Might Say
Liver Forever

Oasis first two albums and early B-sides are the balls. However, the rest of their albums were average and half the songs where wank. You would probably make another a good double Oasis album from the last five. The first Oasis album is and will always be a classic and IMO Supersonic is one of the greatest rock songs ever written.

I never really bought the whole Blur and Oasis rivalry and during that whole era I was into getting stoned and listening to The Doors. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the members of Blur are alot more talented than there Manchester counterparts but I will always be drawn to Definitely Maybe, which can hold its head high alongside some of my other favourite classic British debut albums, such as The Stone Roses self titled, The Libertines - Up the Bracket, Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols, The Clash self titled, Massive Attack-Blue Lines, Joy Divison - Unkown Pleasures, Led Zeppelin 1, Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Wire - Pink Flag, Gang of Four - Entertainment, The Smiths self titled and
Echo & the Bunneymen - Crocodiles.

I also think you will never again get the press coverage and hype of that whole Britpop era.

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

The Antlers (Hospice)

Arcade Fire (Funeral)

Battles (Mirrored)

Beach House (Teen Dream)

Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)

Blur (13, Think Tank)

Burial (Untrue)

Caribou (Swim)

Big

Daft Punk (Discovery)

add

Depeche mode
Goldfrapp
Gossip
Hercules love story
Kosheen
Morcheeba
Groove armada
Amy winehouse
underworld
Leftfield
Bellx1
The frames

The Roots
NERD
Eminem
snowpatrol
Deep Dish
Hercules love story

AND LOTS MORE

You just lost any creditability you had by introducing them three bands into any dicussion about music.
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

The Antlers (Hospice)

Arcade Fire (Funeral)

Battles (Mirrored)

Beach House (Teen Dream)

Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)

Blur (13, Think Tank)

Burial (Untrue)

Caribou (Swim)

Big

Daft Punk (Discovery)

add

Depeche mode
Goldfrapp
Gossip
Hercules love story
Kosheen
Morcheeba
Groove armada
Amy winehouse
underworld
Leftfield
Bellx1
The frames

The Roots
NERD
Eminem
snowpatrol
Deep Dish
Hercules love story

AND LOTS MORE

You just lost any creditability you had by introducing them three bands into any dicussion about music.

and you really think I listen to music to be credible -

I listen to music because I enjoy it -

I am a huge Elvis fan -

An ambition is to go to graceland -

not very credible but it works for me -
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:44pm

Supersonic
Acquiesce
Bring it on Down
Some Might Say
Liver Forever

Oasis first two albums and early B-sides are the balls. However, the rest of their albums were average and half the songs where wank. You would probably make another a good double Oasis album from the last five. The first Oasis album is and will always be a classic and IMO Supersonic is one of the greatest rock songs ever written.

I never really bought the whole Blur and Oasis rivalry and during that whole era I was into getting stoned and listening to The Doors. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the members of Blur are alot more talented than there Manchester counterparts but I will always be drawn to Definitely Maybe, which can hold its head high alongside some of my other favourite classic British debut albums, such as The Stone Roses self titled, The Libertines - Up the Bracket, Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols, The Clash self titled, Massive Attack-Blue Lines, Joy Divison - Unkown Pleasures, Led Zeppelin 1, Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Wire - Pink Flag, Gang of Four - Entertainment, The Smiths self titled and
Echo & the Bunneymen - Crocodiles.

I also think you will never again get the press coverage and hype of that whole Britpop era.

Great post,

Supersonic is class,their first released single i think,sounded like nothing else at the time.
DM is a classic album,very raw (absolutely sh1te drummer) had a lot of help in the studio i reckon on that album,they got rid of him afterwards but adds to the whole thing somehow.Saw them live many times but I never seen the Point rocking as much as March 96 when Oasis had become for a short time the biggest band in the world.Good times.
trappedfor2long View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappedfor2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
oasis where the biggest band in britain in the last 25 years and would fill knebworth if they played next week, and having done it b4 two weeks running, blur might be class but would struggle to fill an average sized arena now, both had great songs, but oasis had the anthems that drove a crowd batty, even some of the crappy songs off later albums where great when played live cause thats what they where a live band,  there b sides where pure class and although they didn't make it huge in the usa like they did in europe,  there anthems sound as good now as they did then, noel G will go on to be the next paul weller and go on rocking for years to come ,   and liam was an arse then he's an arse now and will i suspect go on to be the godfather of arse's in years to come,  my best oasis song is any one noel sings and my least fav is anyone liam wrote (pure gick)  as for the biggest band in the world???? wasn't it chris martin who was aked at the emmys whats it like to be the singer in the biggest band in the world, ?  his answer  "you'd better ask bono,!! sounds about right to me
i was gonna procrastinate but now i'm gonna leave it till tomorrow
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 6:34pm

The Antlers (Hospice)

Arcade Fire (Funeral)

Battles (Mirrored)

Beach House (Teen Dream)

Beirut (Gulag Orkestar)

Blur (13, Think Tank)

Burial (Untrue)

Caribou (Swim)

Big

Daft Punk (Discovery)

add

Depeche mode
Goldfrapp
Gossip
Hercules love story
Kosheen
Morcheeba
Groove armada
Amy winehouse
underworld
Leftfield
Bellx1
The frames

The Roots
NERD
Eminem
snowpatrol
Deep Dish
Hercules love story

AND LOTS MORE

Incorrect bellx1 and snow patrol were utter turd but the frames were a proper band
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 1:11am

Great video.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
trappedfor2long View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trappedfor2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:54am
music is subjective and any one can say that the band they like is better or there music is better, but if theres two bands playing in the same city and one draws 100,000 and the other draws 500 does that make the band that drew the biggest crowd the better band ??? the more important music??? who's to say it just means we all have different taste , dont no where i'm going with this but i think the thread was fav oasis song, and i'm guessing if a thread was started  "whats your favorite antlers song ...or boards of canada song we wouldn't get past page 1 , but it dont mean they aint good
i was gonna procrastinate but now i'm gonna leave it till tomorrow
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 1:44pm
Sorry to pick an obscure b-side, but It's Better People is the best Oasis song IMO.  A great track to go jogging to.
Jonesy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 10:12am

Wonderwall. Thumbs Up

Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic