You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Oasis Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 8:15pm
As far as the thread goes

Married with children,what a tune
@mickgleeson82
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 11:59pm
Whatever is my fave...brings back good memoriesThumbs Up
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Beavis Beavis wrote:

Fair enough bro Thumbs Up...I stand by my opinion of Oasis though. Whenever anyone says Oasis are their favourite band, you can be sure their music range is minimal. Not having a go, it's just very apparent. Try it...ask a mate who adores Oasis (and there are way to many in Ireland) to name their favourite albums of 2012. If they get beyond 2/3 albums and name any that aren't MOR indierock, I'd be very suprised.
Very lazy analysis there.

What Noel Gallagher did is actually the most difficult thing in music. That is to write a very large number of songs which, without wanting to sound too cliched, are legitimately classed as all-time classic anthems. Nobody has done it since. Most Oasis songs can be played by a halfway competent guitarist. That's part of their beauty. 

I have thousands of albums ranging from 1920's Mississipi Delta Blues to Jazz to folk to classical to hip-hop to dance to pop. Yet I always come back to Oasis. What they produced in the 1994-96 period was mind-blowing. Two all-time classic albums and nine EPs, each packed with songs which would not be out of place on Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory. Those songs are all indelible parts of mass popular culture to this day and imprinted themselves on people's minds in a way no other band has done since and arguably only The Beatles did before. Noel Gallagher was able to do this because he had such a wide knowledge of music. Even by the 90s, pretty much every genre of music that ever was had been invented. Gallagher worked with the building blocks and pieced all the best bits of what had gone before together into a perfect whole.

I also think their output from 1997 on is much under-rated, although obviously not quite as good. However it's fair to say that they produced at least an average of four or five top quality songs per album in the 2000s and Be Here Now is unquestionably an under-rated album despite suffering from overblown production at times. And there's a whole litany of largely forgotten B-sides out there that are fixtures on my playlist.

You can even look at the non-Oasis output of the Gallaghers. Stuff like Noel's almost forgotten single Teotihuacan, "Setting Sun" which he did with the Chemical Brothers, Scorpio Risng on which Liam collaborated with Death In Vegas. Amazing tracks. The two recent albums from Beady Eye and Noel are both excellent listens although divergent in style.

The Oasis phenomenon was entirely organic too as they were signed to the independent Creation label and started off with no hype at all. Their first single limped into the charts for a week at number 31. The hype grew mainly because the music was so irresistible, although of course it did no harm that the Gallaghers gave great copy in interviews. They basically summed up what a great rock 'n' roll band should do. Liam Gallagher's voice might not be so good now but during the 90s it was the greatest rock 'n' roll voice that had been heard for many years. As was said at the time, a perfect mixture of Lennon and Lydon. The whole package was completely intoxicating. They will always be my favourite band by a distance.

Edited by sid waddell - 28 Oct 2012 at 1:04am
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:27am
Sid's post

To compare Blur and Oasis really is ridiculous as they are not one tiny bit comparable.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:30am
Only Noel Gallagher could take three chords and turn it into a sprawling, turbo charged rock-dance epic.

Haunting stuff.

Best outro ever. Deafening. 

Edited by sid waddell - 28 Oct 2012 at 1:31am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:39am
Another great instrumental tune and the basis for Ian Brown's "Keep What Ya Got".

No other band but Oasis would play an instrumental as an intro. But what an intro.

I can't believe I was actually at this gig. Queued out all night to get tickets, failed, and paid £50 (double face value for one) for one in the end. It was a lot of money in those days. What a guitar intro.

Definitely worth it.

Edited by sid waddell - 28 Oct 2012 at 1:40am
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:55am
Dont look back in Anger (tune and I mean tune of a certain youth)
greatest tune ever 

And Masterplan

forgot this masterpiece Embarrassed

Edited by PhilliyK - 28 Oct 2012 at 9:59am
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 7:55pm
Dont look back in anger.

Close thread
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
c90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

forgot this masterpiece Embarrassed
[TUBE]Live forever/TUBE
only mentioned once before on a 7 page thread. shocking carry on altogether
not many lyrics but fook it theyre good!Clap

Edited by c90 - 28 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves
Skelly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 8:43pm
Masterplan followed by whatever
We all dream of a team of Gary Breens
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 1:06am

Originally posted by sid
waddell sid waddell wrote:

Very lazy analysis there.

What were you expecting? Graphs? flow charts? cohort studies?...it's a musical discussion, all I can do is present my opinion based on experience. In my experience, Oasis fans don't have a wide range of or stay up to date on music. If they did they would quickly realise music didn't peak with What's the Story. That said, obviously there are exceptions to every rule but in general I find it's true.

Originally posted by sid

What Noel Gallagher did is actually the most difficult thing in music. That is to write a very large number of songs which, without wanting to sound too cliched, are legitimately classed as all-time classic anthems. Nobody has done it since. Most Oasis songs can be played by a halfway competent guitarist. That's part of their beauty.

You're taking the p1ss right? The most difficult thing in music? Yeah he could write a catchy tune but come on...he was essentially an average guitarist and had to make do with what he had. Anyway, writing very popular anthems is not indicative of music genius. The songwriters behind pop do it on a weekly basis. They are not especially brilliant song writers; they just know how to take advantage of the ignorant masses.

Originally posted by sid

I have thousands of albums ranging from 1920's Mississipi Delta Blues to Jazz to folk to classical to hip-hop to dance to pop. Yet I always come back to Oasis. What they produced in the 1994-96 period was mind-blowing. Two all-time classic albums and nine EPs, each packed with songs which would not be out of place on Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory. Those songs are all indelible parts of mass popular culture to this day and imprinted themselves on people's minds in a way no other band has done since and arguably only The Beatles did before. Noel Gallagher was able to do this because he had such a wide knowledge of music. Even by the 90s, pretty much every genre of music that ever was had been invented. Gallagher worked with the building blocks and pieced all the best bits of what had gone before together into a perfect whole.

This is ridiculous. Oasis have never been anything but completely derivative and from a very well defined Beatles-centred genre. As I read recently on a review of Noel's album...Noel Gallagher: Forever a Slave to Rock History. There's is no evidence of this wide knowledge of music, or the piecing together all best bits of what has gone.

Originally posted by sid

by the 90s, pretty much every genre of music that ever was had been invented.

What? Music has stopped evolving?...total nonsense (e.g. dubstep began in late 90s)

Originally posted by sid

I also think their output from 1997 on is much under-rated, although obviously not quite as good. However it's fair to say that they produced at least an average of four or five top quality songs per album in the 2000s and Be Here Now is unquestionably an under-rated album despite suffering from overblown production at times. And there's a whole litany of largely forgotten B-sides out there that are fixtures on my playlist.

4 or 5 'top quality' songs (which I strongly dispute) over 4/5 albums is enough to continue adoring them? While other bands of the time were putting out albums that were genuine quality from start to finish, why waste your time? I tossed them in. The rest hung on in vain hope of another Definitely Maybe and a rekindling of their lost youth.

Originally posted by sid

You can even look at the non-Oasis output of the Gallaghers. Stuff like Noel's almost forgotten single Teotihuacan, "Setting Sun" which he did with the Chemical Brothers, Scorpio Risng on which Liam collaborated with Death In Vegas. Amazing tracks.

I’ll give you the Chemical’s collaborations. They wrote the music though.

Originally posted by sid

The two recent albums from Beady Eye and Noel are both excellent listens although divergent in style.

I can’t comment cos I’ve only heard the singles from the Noel one and it’s more MOR rock sh1te...What a Life?...awful.

Originally posted by sid

The hype grew mainly because the music was so irresistible, although of course it did no harm that the Gallaghers gave great copy in interviews. They basically summed up what a great rock 'n' roll band should do.

So there’s more to it than the music. I could never understand this. Image, attitude...who gives a fcuk? I think loads of Oasis fans were sucked in by this...the swagger. Musical quality was of less importance.

Originally posted by sid

Liam Gallagher's voice might not be so good now but during the 90s it was the greatest rock 'n' roll voice that had been heard for many years. As was said at the time, a perfect mixture of Lennon and Lydon. The whole package was completely intoxicating.

Was Liam Gallagher’s voice ever good?  Greatest rock n roll voice? Good lord. Anyway, that didn’t really matter while Noel was writing catchy tunes for a brief few years there; he then lost it with sometimes humiliating results (e.g. the Lyla solo).

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

They will always be my favourite band by a distance.

How do you know?

Edited by Beavis - 29 Oct 2012 at 1:08am
<insert witty comment>
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 1:13am

What were you expecting? Graphs? flow charts? cohort studies?...

ClapClapLOLLOL

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 1:57am
I loved Oasis (also loved Blur)

Used to play in a band at the time and first songs we ever played were Oasis,probably because they were the easiest but we all loved the band as well.

I still love Oasis but as i grew up a bit I could see Noel's lyric's for what they are ie a lot of sentences strung together that sound pretty impressive and profound to a kid but are really kinda sh*te.
When asked in an interview "Who was Sally is in Dont Look Back In Anger" he said he didnt know,he just made it up as it sounded good or words to that effect.Can't disagree with him there,it sounds great but a poet he is not.

Of course this doesn't matter a whole lot to me as the music (while simple) was brilliant.At the time Definitely Maybe was released it sounded like nothing else else id heard before.I was only 15 at the time and i suppose i would have been easily influenced but I though it was amazing stuff.I was never a fan of Nirvana (although played a lot of them with the band) so Oasis were the greatest thing to come along for me.Almost every song on DM is a classic as were most of the B sides and about half of Morning Glory.They have a few other decent tunes as well.

It's all subjective of course but they captured the moment for me at the time,they were the sound track to my youth and I'll always like them for that reason plus the fact that for a while they were a genuinely stomping rock band.

I went to see them at the point in March 96.At that time they were the hottest ticket in Rock.Amazing gig,crowd going totally wild to the point of it being dangerous.Half the time my feet werent even touching the ground where i was up near the front.Anyone else remember that gig,Noel went straight from it to do the Late Late,I still have the VHS recording somewhere at  home.

Saw them later again that year at PUC in August but nowhere near as good that gig.

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 2:14am
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 2:20am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vbhr_noel-gallagher-1-late-late-show-199_music

Class Rolo!
Thats the one alright,havent seen that in years.

He comes across really well in that interview and I always thought he seemed sound.Interesting guy to have a scoop with I'd say.Can't say the same for his brother,always though he was a pr1ck and still is.Of course thats no obstacle to being a great front man,but a bit sad at his age now,see also Alx Rose.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 2:28am
Nice fella in fairness.
I cant stand the brother.

The Late Late was a great ol' show back in the day!!
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:29am

4 or 5 'top quality' songs (which I strongly dispute) over 4/5 albums is enough to continue adoring them? While other bands of the time were putting out albums that were genuine quality from start to finish, why waste your time? I tossed them in. The rest hung on in vain hope of another Definitely Maybe and a rekindling of their lost youth.

like who?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shebber View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shebber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:33am
Beavis, to say people who like Oasis don't have an appreciation of good music is deeply patronising and hugely inaccurate. I like Oasis, not my favourite band, but they're certainly worth a place in a music discussion. I am a big music fan, (my biggest expenditure is on live concerts, and before illegal downloading, cd's were a big outlay!) and certainly wouldn't dismiss Oasis in the way you do. Certainly not their first 3 albums and the b sides album, Masterplan. All very good stuff whatever way you look at it.

I'm not saying they're a patch on Bowie, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, the stones, Floyd etc, but it's a thread about Oasis, and I personally have a lot of time for them!
If you have 200 million priests, and 5% of them are paedophiles, that's still only 10 million paedophiles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
  Share Topic