You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Catholic Church thread - Jayzus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Religion has no place in schools.
Totally disagree with this. Religious negligence is what causes Yanks to hate Muslims, Muslims to hate Palestinians, Catholics to hate Protestants (once upon a time).

If I had my way, everyone would be required to teach all religions equally. The world would be a much safer place if we all understood other religions views and thoughts.
Teaching tolerance is completely different, making people aware of the absurdity of religion while accepting people's faith in them is completely different to the dangers of associating education with indoctrination.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Totally disagree with this. Religious negligence is what causes Yanks to hate Muslims, Muslims to hate Palestinians, Catholics to hate Protestants (once upon a time).

If I had my way, everyone would be required to teach all religions equally. The world would be a much safer place if we all understood other religions views and thoughts.
Teaching tolerance is completely different, making people aware of the absurdity of religion while accepting people's faith in them is completely different to the dangers of associating education with indoctrination.
Dat would be an ecumenical matter..........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:28am

Religious indoctrination has caused more hatred throughout history than anything else. My point was clearly that no one church or faith should be allowed to control any of our national schools. 

A brief summary of all religions and their beliefs can be covered in any number of other subjects - some day, it'll be relevant only in history.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:46am
Religion of any kind is beyond stupid
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

At last, thank God someone has finally said it.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:07pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:38pm

You need a good priest so you do.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

You need a good priest so you do.
I think TJ is too old for that,he has adult teeth.

A great cartoon above, sums it up neatly. 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:45pm

Even though everyone can see the irony in it , I'm so disgusted I cant help but find it distasteful

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:03am
I completely reject the notion that society was as culpable as the church. Consider what it must be like to live in a theocracy. The society that existed at the time was absolutely sculpted and shaped by the church. It was their goal and it succeeded. But the reason we moved away from those horrible shackles was not because of the church maturing, it was because society matured and decided they weren't listening to their sh*t anymore. Which is exactly why the church continues to abuse countries in poorer areas of the globe.

Never underestimate the power of indoctrination within a theocracy
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
TDs didn't turn up in sufficient numbers to have a debate on the baby remains discovery...........honest to Jaysus, how did we allow these uncaring scumbags into governing us?
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

TDs didn't turn up in sufficient numbers to have a debate on the baby remains discovery...........honest to Jaysus, how did we allow these uncaring scumbags into governing us?
You know the answer to that and I know the answer to that. Ultimately as a people, we just don't really care enough or give a toss. We might shout the odd time and strike the odd electoral blow now and then but sure we'll just vote them back in regardless because my daddy and his daddy and his daddy before him was a [inert FF/FG here as appropriate] man. 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm

Yeah I know Sham, I'm so fooking distraught at what happened those mothers and their babies. 

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm
The Nuns would not let the orphans escape because they were in their pyjamas.

Scannal! The Cavan Fire

36 Die in Cavan Orphanage Fire 
In the early hours of a February morning in 1943 fire broke out in the basement laundry of St. Joseph's Orphanage & Industrial School run by the enclosed order of Poor Clare nuns inMain St., Cavan town. The fire very quickly turned into an inferno. The alarm was raised by horrified townspeople who tried to help. At first they could not gain access to the convent and when they were admitted it was almost too late too reach the terrified, screaming children, trapped in the top floor dormitories. A hugely inadequate fire service meant that within forty minutes the flames had taken hold, the roof had caved in and the building was left just a shell. Thirty five children and an elderly lay woman burned to death. The following day the remains of the thirty six bodies were recovered from the smoldering ruin. They were put in just eight coffins and buried subsequently in a mass grave.

The horrific tragedy became national front page news and controversy about locked fire exits and why the children were not evacuated in good time gave the impetus for a public Tribunal of Inquiry. But the results of the Inquiry raised almost more questions than it answered. The inquiry was viewed as a whitewash by some as there was no attempt to hold anyone directly responsible.

"In Cavan there was a great fire,
Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire,
It would be a shame, if the nuns were to blame,
So it had to be caused by a wire."

Dogerel penned by 
Brian Ó Nualáin (aka Myles na gCopaleen) 
Secretary to the Tribunal of Inquiry.

While the Tribunal of Inquiry did make some reccomendations which were the basis of reform of local fire fighting services and fire safety standards in Industrial Schools - the locked fire exits were to have horrific echoes in the Stardust almost 40 years later. Some argue that the true story of what really happened that night and why so many children were burned to death was not uncovered.

"Duradh liom agus creidim an té a dúirt liom é. Gur ceann de na fathanna nár tugadh na páistí amach ón áit ná nach raibh na mna rialta ag iarraidh go mbeidh siad feicithe agus feisteas oíche orthu." Mícheál Holmes - Craoltóir

("One of the reasons given why the children were not evacuated in time was that the nuns did not want the girls to be seen in their night clothes") 

However one thing is certain, for those who were involved in the fire the nightmare still lives on

"It's a miracle I was alive after that ... when they put a ladder up it wouldn't reach. I kept looking around and I thought - I'm going to die here. The flames were coming nearer and nearer. I could hear glass cracking, cracking - I thought I'm going to die..."
Sarah - Survivor of the fire

Sarah (not her real name) was one of the last girls to be rescued that night from the burning building; it's a trauma which has haunted her life. The memories are as vivid 63 years on as she tells her story for the first time publicly but the stigma felt by inmates of such institutions then, for her, has not diminished either.

"Sure no-one would imagine that that would happen.... my two sisters - yes they went into meet their deaths...that's all I can think about."
Matt McKiernan - Brother of Mary & Susan McKiernan who perished in the fire.

Cavan man, Matt McKiernan still feels the acute pain of the loss of his two sisters who perished in the fire. They had been placed in the Industrial school only 6 months earlier after the death of their mother because the local Roman Catholic priest felt it was not appropriate that young girls be looked after by a protestant neighbour or even their own father.

Scannal talks to some of the people who risked their own lives to try to save the children and who had the unenviable task of recovering the bodies afterwards.

"I think I'd like to forget it because it was one of the saddest days I ever remember in my life... something like 9/11 it was dreadful..." John McKiernan - Rescuer

This week Scannal examines the events of that night and the scandal of how 35 young girls & one old woman were burned to death because of a deadly combination of incompetence and arrogant narrow mindedness, officially swept neatly under the carpet of a smug era where children and especially those kind of children really did not count.

Those who lost their lives in the fire

Mary Harrison (15yrs Dublin )
Mary Hughes (15yrs Killeshandra)
Ellen McHugh (15yrs Blacklion)
Kathleen & Frances Kiely (12yrs & 9yrs Virginia)
Mary & Margaret Lynch ( 15yrs & 10yrs Cavan)
Josephine & Mona Cassidy ( 15yrs & 11yrs Belfast)
Kathleen Reilly ( 14yrs Butlersbridge)
Mary & Josphine Carroll ( 12yrs & 10yrs Castlerahan)
Mary & Susan McKiernan ( 16yrs & 14yrs Dromard)
Rose Wright ( 11yrs Ballyjamesduff)
Mary & Nora Barrett ( 12yrs -Twins - Dublin)
Mary Kelly ( 10yrs Ballinagh)
Mary Brady (7yrs Ballinagh)
Dorothy Daly (7yrs Cootehill)
Mary Ivers ( 12yrs Kilcoole Wicklow )
Philomena Regan (9yrs Dublin)
Harriet & Ellen Payne ( 11yrs & 8yrs Dublin)
Teresa White (6yrs Dublin)
Mary Roche (6yrs Dublin)
Ellen Morgan (10yrs Virginia)
Elizabeth Heaphy ( 4yrs Swords)
Mary O'Hara (7yrs Kilnaleck)
Bernadette Serridge (5yrs Dublin)
Katherine & Margaret Chambers (9 & 7yrs Enniskillen)
Mary Lowry (17yrs Drumcrow, Cavan)
Bridget & Mary Galligan (17 & 18yrs Drumcassidy, Cavan)
Mary Smith (80yrs employed as Cook)

Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 1:06pm
Scum - Scum - Scum - Scum - Scum - Scum - Scum 

They had been placed in the Industrial school only 6 months earlier after the death of their mother because the local Roman Catholic priest felt it was not appropriate that young girls be looked after by a protestant neighbour or even their own father.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 1:23pm
The sooner that religion is gone the better.

As for the CC they are the worlds largest paedo ring multinational amongst only a handful of other crimes they commit.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

The Nuns would not let the orphans escape because they were in their pyjamas.

Scannal! The Cavan Fire

36 Die in Cavan Orphanage Fire 
In the early hours of a February morning in 1943 fire broke out in the basement laundry of St. Joseph's Orphanage & Industrial School run by the enclosed order of Poor Clare nuns inMain St., Cavan town. The fire very quickly turned into an inferno. The alarm was raised by horrified townspeople who tried to help. At first they could not gain access to the convent and when they were admitted it was almost too late too reach the terrified, screaming children, trapped in the top floor dormitories. A hugely inadequate fire service meant that within forty minutes the flames had taken hold, the roof had caved in and the building was left just a shell. Thirty five children and an elderly lay woman burned to death. The following day the remains of the thirty six bodies were recovered from the smoldering ruin. They were put in just eight coffins and buried subsequently in a mass grave.

The horrific tragedy became national front page news and controversy about locked fire exits and why the children were not evacuated in good time gave the impetus for a public Tribunal of Inquiry. But the results of the Inquiry raised almost more questions than it answered. The inquiry was viewed as a whitewash by some as there was no attempt to hold anyone directly responsible.

"In Cavan there was a great fire,
Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire,
It would be a shame, if the nuns were to blame,
So it had to be caused by a wire."

Dogerel penned by 
Brian Ó Nualáin (aka Myles na gCopaleen) 
Secretary to the Tribunal of Inquiry.

While the Tribunal of Inquiry did make some reccomendations which were the basis of reform of local fire fighting services and fire safety standards in Industrial Schools - the locked fire exits were to have horrific echoes in the Stardust almost 40 years later. Some argue that the true story of what really happened that night and why so many children were burned to death was not uncovered.

"Duradh liom agus creidim an té a dúirt liom é. Gur ceann de na fathanna nár tugadh na páistí amach ón áit ná nach raibh na mna rialta ag iarraidh go mbeidh siad feicithe agus feisteas oíche orthu." Mícheál Holmes - Craoltóir

("One of the reasons given why the children were not evacuated in time was that the nuns did not want the girls to be seen in their night clothes") 

However one thing is certain, for those who were involved in the fire the nightmare still lives on

"It's a miracle I was alive after that ... when they put a ladder up it wouldn't reach. I kept looking around and I thought - I'm going to die here. The flames were coming nearer and nearer. I could hear glass cracking, cracking - I thought I'm going to die..."
Sarah - Survivor of the fire

Sarah (not her real name) was one of the last girls to be rescued that night from the burning building; it's a trauma which has haunted her life. The memories are as vivid 63 years on as she tells her story for the first time publicly but the stigma felt by inmates of such institutions then, for her, has not diminished either.

"Sure no-one would imagine that that would happen.... my two sisters - yes they went into meet their deaths...that's all I can think about."
Matt McKiernan - Brother of Mary & Susan McKiernan who perished in the fire.

Cavan man, Matt McKiernan still feels the acute pain of the loss of his two sisters who perished in the fire. They had been placed in the Industrial school only 6 months earlier after the death of their mother because the local Roman Catholic priest felt it was not appropriate that young girls be looked after by a protestant neighbour or even their own father.

Scannal talks to some of the people who risked their own lives to try to save the children and who had the unenviable task of recovering the bodies afterwards.

"I think I'd like to forget it because it was one of the saddest days I ever remember in my life... something like 9/11 it was dreadful..." John McKiernan - Rescuer

This week Scannal examines the events of that night and the scandal of how 35 young girls & one old woman were burned to death because of a deadly combination of incompetence and arrogant narrow mindedness, officially swept neatly under the carpet of a smug era where children and especially those kind of children really did not count.

Those who lost their lives in the fire

Mary Harrison (15yrs Dublin )
Mary Hughes (15yrs Killeshandra)
Ellen McHugh (15yrs Blacklion)
Kathleen & Frances Kiely (12yrs & 9yrs Virginia)
Mary & Margaret Lynch ( 15yrs & 10yrs Cavan)
Josephine & Mona Cassidy ( 15yrs & 11yrs Belfast)
Kathleen Reilly ( 14yrs Butlersbridge)
Mary & Josphine Carroll ( 12yrs & 10yrs Castlerahan)
Mary & Susan McKiernan ( 16yrs & 14yrs Dromard)
Rose Wright ( 11yrs Ballyjamesduff)
Mary & Nora Barrett ( 12yrs -Twins - Dublin)
Mary Kelly ( 10yrs Ballinagh)
Mary Brady (7yrs Ballinagh)
Dorothy Daly (7yrs Cootehill)
Mary Ivers ( 12yrs Kilcoole Wicklow )
Philomena Regan (9yrs Dublin)
Harriet & Ellen Payne ( 11yrs & 8yrs Dublin)
Teresa White (6yrs Dublin)
Mary Roche (6yrs Dublin)
Ellen Morgan (10yrs Virginia)
Elizabeth Heaphy ( 4yrs Swords)
Mary O'Hara (7yrs Kilnaleck)
Bernadette Serridge (5yrs Dublin)
Katherine & Margaret Chambers (9 & 7yrs Enniskillen)
Mary Lowry (17yrs Drumcrow, Cavan)
Bridget & Mary Galligan (17 & 18yrs Drumcassidy, Cavan)
Mary Smith (80yrs employed as Cook)

I never knew of this. Reading it brought a tear to my eye. No words.

If the nightdress story is true ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
The infamous "Bishop and the Nightie" incident which took place nearly 40 years later is suggestive of CC attitudes to nightmare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
  Share Topic