You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Catholic Church thread - Jayzus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

There's no way to judge if it was a form of protest or not but rest assured the pro church people and upset people will always say it was the non attending people that took all the tickets regardless of the attendance.

Exactly - they have been provided with a ready made excuse. It would have been a lot more interesting to do the crazy thing of just allowing people who want to go to get on with it, whilst those that didn't wish to attend did so without impacting upon others.

And why do you believe it is laughable that people who wanted to attend couldn't?
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Claiming it's a poor form of protest is actually laughable and the line about robbing someone else of the opportunity to see the pope is equally as funny.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on either of those two points?

Going by your previous posts on this thread you also appear to be confused yourself in respect to whether it should be judged a successful protest or not.

There's no way to judge if it was a form of protest or not but rest assured the pro church people and upset people will always say it was the non attending people that took all the tickets regardless of the attendance.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:43pm

Claiming it's a poor form of protest is actually laughable and the line about robbing someone else of the opportunity to see the pope is equally as funny.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on either of those two points?

Going by your previous posts on this thread you also appear to be confused yourself in respect to whether it should be judged a successful protest or not.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Even in one word posts your language is full of childish Americanisms!LOL 

Awesome response!
Alright Raphael, Splinter's looking for ya.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Its a bitter and obsessed form of protest. If you've no interest in religion, the church or the Pope just forget about them and get on with your life.
Exactly! All mass murder, paedophilia and child abuse should be ignored. People are far too sensitive these days.

Edited by pre Madonna - 27 Aug 2018 at 3:42pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:40pm

It’s actually not laughable. Would the people have engaged if they had to pay money for the tickets?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm

Awesome response!

LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm

Awesome response!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:38pm
Its a bitter and obsessed form of protest. If you've no interest in religion, the church or the Pope just forget about them and get on with your life.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:37pm

As I said, I didn't read them. When you are using phrases like that then  I would be certain the points were far from substantive. 

Whatever.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:37pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:35pm

As I said, I didn't read them. When you are using phrases like that then  I would be certain the points were far from substantive. 

Whatever.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:31pm

PM, why not just argue the substantive points I made rather than getting annoyed at the words I used?

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:28pm
PM, why not just argue the substantive points I made rather than getting annoyed at the words I used?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm

It's farcical because it is a supremely lazy form of protest that in effect does little more than rob the opportunity to attend from someone else.

What is the goal in 'making it look a lot worse on the church' exactly? They do plenty enough of that themselves!

The last time the pope visited Ireland homosexuality was illegal here. We've now recently passed the marriage referendum and liberalised our abortion laws so it's patently clear the church doesn't have anywhere near the influence it once did.

Perhaps I'm not in the majority in my view but just thought it was a silly protest that achieved very little. In fact even referring to it as a 'protest' is pushing it a bit.

I think you are in the majority. The vast majority of people I spoke to saw it as lazy virtue signalling 
Got as far as there. What sort of a **** uses the term 'virtue signalling'? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:25pm

Ahhh, the aul worrying what the rest of the world thinks of us issue once again. Even if that was a concern for anyone the recent referendums should have made it very clear to all that we have thankfully moved away from the clutches of the RCC.
Living abroad, I do. The Roman Empire is our biggest embarrassment, anything we can do to undermine them has my full support.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:24pm

It's farcical because it is a supremely lazy form of protest that in effect does little more than rob the opportunity to attend from someone else.

What is the goal in 'making it look a lot worse on the church' exactly? They do plenty enough of that themselves!

The last time the pope visited Ireland homosexuality was illegal here. We've now recently passed the marriage referendum and liberalised our abortion laws so it's patently clear the church doesn't have anywhere near the influence it once did.

Perhaps I'm not in the majority in my view but just thought it was a silly protest that achieved very little. In fact even referring to it as a 'protest' is pushing it a bit.

I think you are in the majority. The vast majority of people I spoke to saw it as lazy virtue signalling as opposed to any form of protest, or rememberance. It was free, you didn’t need to go anywhere, and you could get your Facebook kudos along the way.

Like I said, people can’t have it both ways. Either you acknowledge the protest was a success, and in turn acknowledge that it had a genuine impact on the numbers, thus preventing us from knowing exactly how many would have otherwise turned up. Or, the protest had no meaningful impact, and as such it was a small and lazy effort at virtue signalling, which has little impact on anything.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm
Ahhh, the aul worrying what the rest of the world thinks of us issue once again. Even if that was a concern for anyone the recent referendums should have made it very clear to all that we have thankfully moved away from the clutches of the RCC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
  Share Topic