You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kevin Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:22pm
Helped keep a clean sheet tonight in a 1-0 win away at West Ham.
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
A very reliable back-up option. A 'solid citizen' as the long-cancelled Big Ron was wont to say.

I'd feel far happier with Long in our back four in an important game than, say, Lenihan.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 08 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:47pm
Lenihan is an absolute bomb-scare, I wouldn't devalue Long's capabilities by comparing them.
We're decent enough..
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm
Did all the simple stuff i must say now close to scoring from a corner but did dive in and missed the ball on the touch line and the winger got away . 
 Other than that played very well . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:12pm
Underrated
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:57pm
 Starts again today, he's doing really well for someone only supposed to be a bit part player. 

Could be a case that he hits his peak late in his career.

Edited by Left foot - 11 Jul 2020 at 2:58pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 3:07pm
He should play the rest of Burnley's games now due to the injury to Ben Mee. This is why Dyche likes him, he can be trusted to step in to Premiership games and do the job.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 5:31pm
Played well again  today in a Burnley draw away at Anfield. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:29pm
I taught he was solid again tonight 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:38pm
If he keeps going like this I feel that he'll play his way into the Ireland squad and maybe into the first team.

With Duffy and Clark looking unlikely to see game time for the remainder of the season you could see a defence 

Coleman Egan Long 
Doherty                         Stevens 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:44pm
Long should certainly be in the squad, Duffy should certainly be in the the team.

Coleman isn't a centre-half, and Kenny isn't going with a back three.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:50pm
We won’t play a back three. Can see him in the squad though
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

We won’t play a back three. Can see him in the squad though

Agreed. We won't play a back 3. Ain't going to happen. If form continues, Coleman is right back and Doherty will be fudged on the right somewhere.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on the right of the 3 up front, reverting to a right winger as needed. Using the under 21's as a guide, something akin to Elbouzedi's role against Sweden in the 4-1 win.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

I taught he was solid again tonight 
Not the easiest thing to teach, fair play to you.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:26am
Jezzzz i did think he was done for when he went down and twisted his knee last night , but fair play to him as he got upand finished the game Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:27am
Was really worried for him when he twisted his knee, but luckily looks ok. Been impressed with him in these recent games. Doesn't look world class or anything, but very decent and reliable. A good option.

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Was really worried for him when he twisted his knee, but luckily looks ok. Been impressed with him in these recent games. Doesn't look world class or anything, but very decent and reliable. A good option.

thought he reminded me of Baresi 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Long should certainly be in the squad, Duffy should certainly be in the the team.

Coleman isn't a centre-half, and Kenny isn't going with a back three.
Sentiment alone puts Shane Duffy in the team - not form. He's had a troubled season at Brighton. Graham Potter doesn't rate him - and Duffy's confidence in his few starts looked affected. Stephen Kenny also likes to play out of defence - and let's face it, Duffy is a hoofer. Sadly, his walk-up start must now be under pressure. It could open the door for Long.

Duffy's made 20 appearances for Brighton this season, including 14 starts. Long didn't start a league game for Burnley until 5 July. It's difficult to argue Long's enjoyed the better campaign.

This notwithstanding, neither are all that great on the ball, and Duffy remains one of our better players. Kenny's going with a back four, and centre-halves with ability on the ball is less important than it is in a back three.

We simply don't have the resources to pick players based on a manager's preferred playing style. Most of our first xi more or less picks itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
  Share Topic