Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=41293
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:03pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kevin Long
Posted By: Claret Murph
Subject: Kevin Long
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 7:04am
At last Kevin Long has got game time at Burnley as he came on last night with only a few mins to play . One now hopes he can get into the side as I would say they could do with him at the back as they have leaked a lot of goals this season .
Well done Kevin Thumbs Up

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Replies:
Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 8:02am
Good news Murph Clap........another of our young Irish prospects....Tommie Hoban has played the last two games for Watford (scored too last might at Charlton)......he's a very confident central defender (big lad too 6ft 2 in )

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Godot
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Good news Murph Clap........another of our young Irish prospects....Tommie Hoban has played the last two games for Watford (scored too last might at Charlton)......he's a very confident central defender (big lad too 6ft 2 in )

With a name like that he should be playing GAA!

Posted By: Bohsfan84
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2015 at 3:05pm
http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-kevin-can-help-reds-end-long-wait-for-victory-1-7580552" rel="nofollow - http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-kevin-can-help-reds-end-long-wait-for-victory-1-7580552

Has signed for Barnsley on loan.

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:05pm
Starts today for Burnley vs WBA

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

hummmm only 3 Irish players start for Burnley and then again we have some dude form Derry starting for WBA .
Look looking forward to see how Long gets on a very big day for him i do wish him well . 

-------------

Posted By: 10 Box
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

hummmm only 3 Irish players start for Burnley and then again we have some dude form Derry starting for WBA .
Look looking forward to see how Long gets on a very big day for him i do wish him well . 

How did he do?

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:26pm
Just flicking through Twitter and a lot of Burnley fans are praising how well he played today Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:48pm
Great praise on here too http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=2&t=16285" rel="nofollow - http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=2&t=16285

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:15pm
Yep did well really , can't really fault him at all now did keep an eye on him but so many Irish players on the pitch which was a joy to see . 

-------------

Posted By: longford claret
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 8:33pm
Burnley did play in green and white before turning to claret and blue in 1913. Due to the Irish heritage of the town. Great to see Kevin do so well. Burnley's main rivals Blackburn Rovers always played in red , white and blue. There lies another story.

Posted By: Luis Amor Rodriguez
Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:11pm
Great to see another Irish lad get a start.  

When Michael Keane makes his move away from Burnley in the summer, it might give Long a a shot at more frequent game-time.

Date Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:51pm
He will get game time. Will be between Long , Mee and Tarkowski.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Burnley did play in green and white before turning to claret and blue in 1913. Due to the Irish heritage of the town. Great to see Kevin do so well. Burnley's main rivals Blackburn Rovers always played in red , white and blue. There lies another story.
While it appears that Burnley did play in green, there is nothing to suggest it had anything to do with Ireland at all, anywhere. Have you any evidence or is it a story you liked?

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:34am
Read it previously on a Burnley forum in discussions on the rivalry v Blackburn over the years. But as you say it could be one persons slant on history.

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:09pm

Read it previously on a Burnley forum in discussions on the rivalry v Blackburn over the years. But as you say it could be one persons slant on history.
I would just imagine if that was the reason it would be better known. Plenty of teams have worn green without a connection to Ireland.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:21pm
Germany...?

Date Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Germany...?
Being one of the worst myths, usually with somebody adding that we were the first to play them after the war. Just to clarify, Switzerland were the first team to play them and they took their second choice colours from the DFB logo, which in turn was taken from football pitch markings. 
Panathinaikos is another one, people unable to accept that shamrocks and the colour green are used outside of Ireland.

-------------

Posted By: Conan
Date Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:13am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Germany...?
Being one of the worst myths, usually with somebody adding that we were the first to play them after the war. Just to clarify, Switzerland were the first team to play them and they took their second choice colours from the DFB logo, which in turn was taken from football pitch markings. 
Panathinaikos is another one, people unable to accept that shamrocks and the colour green are used outside of Ireland.

Were we converted by the Greeks then out of our heathenhood? Should our priests all have beards?

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:27pm
Kevin starts away at Bournemouth today.

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:05pm

Germany...?

Just teeing you up there PM...Clap

Date Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:06pm
Any views on how Long get on today?  

Posted By: WillieMaley
Date Posted: 14 May 2017 at 6:57am
He's coming 27, worrying sign. Surely he'd of tried to get a permanent gig playing football weekly by now.

-------------
"The best place to defend is in the opposition's penalty box."
Jock Stein

Date Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:00am

Any views on how Long get on today?  
Did fine really but the team as a whole didn't play well but Sam Vokes was the stand out player for the Clarets .

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:38am
Kevin in the Irish squad.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:54am
I'm sure he's as surprised as we are.

-------------
Jock Stein

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:25pm
Congratulations Kevin. Hope you play great if selected.

Posted By: kevj266
Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by WillieMaley WillieMaley wrote:

He's coming 27, worrying sign. Surely he'd of tried to get a permanent gig playing football weekly by now.

Has had no luck with injuries to be fair, would love to see him get a good run next season. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:53pm
Well Goodness really , fair play to him Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:02am
Lads just off the top of my head I know Kevin has started for Burnley before , It seems the media think he made his debut a couple of weeks ago which is not true . Now the last time we were in the Prem he got into the side then got a bad injury at Newcastle which kept him out for all of that season . Ok just looked it up he has started 20 games for Burnley plus 4 as a sub .

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:05am
Longest serving player at the club? They've really stood by him. Must see something in his ability. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Longest serving player at the club? They've really stood by him. Must see something in his ability. 

That, or he's cheap and does the job when required.

-------------
Jock Stein

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:45am
Think Dyche preferred him to Shane Duffy who was on loan at Burnley. Didnt take up the option of keeping Duffy.

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:06pm
It takes all sorts. Three years ago I wouldn't have seen Rob Elliot in contention for club or country. Same for Darren Randolph. Would have said the same about Wes ten years ago. You never know how players are going to develop, or when.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:09pm
Yeah, Duffy looked awful at Blackburn, where he earned the wonderful nickname '50p head' and I still don't trust his positional sense but he has had an excellent season at Brighton.

-------------

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:26pm

Yeah, Duffy looked awful at Blackburn, where he earned the wonderful nickname '50p head' and I still don't trust his positional sense but he has had an excellent season at Brighton.

He was fairly good for Blackburn bar the start of this season according to most reports on this forum. Was he not "consistently high on ranking sites" etc, or at least that's what his proponents were saying. Certainly he'd had a far longer run of extended first team football when O'Neill called him up than Long has had.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He was fairly good for Blackburn bar the start of this season according to most reports on this forum. Was he not "consistently high on ranking sites" etc, or at least that's what his proponents were saying. Certainly he'd had a far longer run of extended first team football when O'Neill called him up than Long has had.
He was very erratic for them, going by Blackburn fans mainly though.
Duffy was called up to his first training squad in 2010 and to the senior squad in the run-up to 2012 and was in and around squads from then until making his debut in America. He would have played far less football than Long when he was first in a squad.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:02pm

Duffy was called up to his first training squad in 2010 and to the senior squad in the run-up to 2012 and was in and around squads from then until making his debut in America. He would have played far less football than Long when he was first in a squad.

He was mostly decent I would have said, if not as good as some claimed. Notice I said when O'Neill first called him up, ie. after a stand out season for Yeovil and becoming a regular for Blackburn. I'm aware that Duffy's first call up in 2010 was similar to Longs, in that he didn't really do a whole lot to earn it. My issue isn't with such call-up per se, but more with MONS inconsistency.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:06pm

He was mostly decent I would have said, if not as good as some claimed. Notice I said when O'Neill first called him up, ie. after a stand out season for Yeovil and becoming a regular for Blackburn. I'm aware that Duffy's first call up in 2010 was similar to Longs, in that he didn't really do a whole lot to earn it. My issue isn't with such call-up per se, but more with MONS inconsistency.
I can understand the frustration but I wouldn't call it inconsistency, it is simply his judgement. He sees something in Long that you may see in other players and wonder why he doesn't choose them.

Duffy was in and around the squad for four years when he made his debut, we also had a much shorter list of centre-halves at that particular moment in time.

-------------

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:15pm

He was scoring og's or getting sent off every other week, the fans hated him at the end. was just as well out of the madhouse anyway.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

He was scoring og's or getting sent off every other week, the fans hated him at the end. was just as well out of the madhouse anyway.
There was a lot of bad blood at the end, Duffy coming out of it particularly badly, not just with dreadful performances on the pitch but he never wore an armband to commemorate Jack Walker, (I presume it was an oversight but football fans are very touchy about these things) and there were snapchats he sent saying "get me out of this f**king club" and referring to the town in a derogatory manner.
He is absolutely hated there, I occasionally pop on their boards to see how they are dealing with Venkys and I have seen him labelled, more than a few times, as the 'biggest disgrace to have played for the club'. Many still believe the own-goals and sending off weren't accidental.

-------------

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:25pm

There was a lot of bad blood at the end, Duffy coming out of it particularly badly, not just with dreadful performances on the pitch but he never wore an armband to commemorate Jack Walker, (I presume it was an oversight but football fans are very touchy about these things) and there were snapchats he sent saying "get me out of this f**king club" and referring to the town in a derogatory manner.
He is absolutely hated there, I occasionally pop on their boards to see how they are dealing with Venkys and I have seen him labelled, more than a few times, as the 'biggest disgrace to have played for the club'. Many still believe the own-goals and sending off weren't accidental.

Fair play, resulted in their relegation in the end

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Fair play, resulted in their relegation in the end
There was a lot more to their relegation than Duffy's unprofessional behaviour, it reflected badly on him though.

Their fans are a pretty deluded bunch though, as fans go.

-------------

Posted By: Gashley Grimes
Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:00pm
Kev looks like a Martin O'Neill kind of centre half a white Bobo Balde.

Posted By: max
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:27am
He's skipping his brothers wedding for this.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/for-kevin-long-ireland-will-come-before-his-brother-s-wedding-1.3085342" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/for-kevin-long-ireland-will-come-before-his-brother-s-wedding-1.3085342

Posted By: willmcc83
Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:14pm

Germany...?

The funny thing about the Panathinaikos story is that the true story is even odder than the myth

-------------
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team

Date Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Germany...?

The funny thing about the Panathinaikos story is that the true story is even odder than the myth
Because an athlete playing for them suggested it? It is hardly that odd!

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Captains Burnley today v West Ham. Brady, Hendrick and Ward all start too.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 5:47pm
3 appearances, 2 losses, 1 draw, and 6 goals conceded equals a call up for Long. It really does make you wonder about MON's selection criteria...

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:03pm

3 appearances, 2 losses, 1 draw, and 6 goals conceded equals a call up for Long. It really does make you wonder about MON's selection criteria...

He got the call-up after 2 appearances so your equation is wrong. 

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: CSCD
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:03pm
Over to you big man !!!

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:05pm
Shouldn't even be in the squad let alone start in a game of this importance

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:11pm
What a big day for the kid. Best of luck KL

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:15pm

That's the spirit

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

That's the spirit

LOL

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:56pm
He did alright to be fair to him, not great on the ball but generally solid.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Dugs
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:03pm

i thought he was good on the ball. I had no issues with him today. Looks quite a decent player.

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

i thought he was good on the ball. I had no issues with him today. Looks quite a decent player.

I've no complains but it shows a lack of use from management that he had never featured in a game or even been heard of in the ROI set up before ( weeks ago

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:43pm
He didn't do badly today, but I did feel that there was a lack of confidence in midfield that could have been related to the inexperience at the back. Hopefully these caps will kickstart his career, but I must say it was surprising to see him start such an important game

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:25am
Very happy with him yesterday and I would say he was the best Burnley player on the pitch .

-------------

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:12am

Very happy with him yesterday and I would say he was the best Burnley player on the pitch .

I was extremely impressed with him, could have been nervous and played cat - that would have been the end of him. Showed maturity, was strong as an ox, won his headers and his distribution was decent. He should have scored as well. Duffy goes mad sometimes, tearing in for a big header, gets his positioning wrong and is exposed. Didn't see that from Long, fair play to him. He must have impressed. 

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 4:22pm
Did grand, another option the right side of 30, if he nails down a 1st team place at Burnley next year he will be here to stay. Keogh was the big loser from the Mexico game though, he played himself out of the team, I wouldn't be sure we will see too much more of him as a starter.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:18pm
Did fine I thought. It should be Duffy and Clark together though when Clark is back.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 7:18pm
Better than Duffy overall yesterday, IMO. Duffy's distribution was really quite poor, although he was probably the more proactive of the two centre backs defensively.

-------------

Posted By: daveyc
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:07pm
hopefully will stay in the Burnley team and offer another another option at CB

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 5:40pm
Burnley's longest serving player has signed a new 3-year deal.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Just hope so much this is his year as quite a lot of the Burnley fans don't think he is up to it , i for one hope he proves them wrong .

-------------

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:39pm

Just hope so much this is his year as quite a lot of the Burnley fans don't think he is up to it , i for one hope he proves them wrong .

Huge season ahead for him. 

Will Dyche likely be going with Mee/Tarkowski for the season opener?

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Huge season ahead for him. 

Will Dyche likely be going with Mee/Tarkowski for the season opener?
Yep i would say that or long and Mee , it's all up to him . 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:42am
Will be a tough ask whoever gets the nod, away at Chelsea. Is live TV game in Ireland.

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 2:30pm
Starts for Burnley today, Mee got injured during the week. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 2:50pm
I will let you know how he gets on Des at full time .

-------------

Posted By: greenmachine68
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:38pm
Good to see him get a game, most patient man in football.

-------------
theres only one tony grealish

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Yep did what he had to do really but only playing against ten men helped . Still clean sheet and not much more you can really say .

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 4:22am
Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

Good to see him get a game, most patient man in football.
no that's Stuart Taylor...Look at his career statsLOL

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 3:01pm
Played a great game. Kept Deeney and Gray quiet.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
Kevin playing again tonight

Posted By: bogball88
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
Starts tonight

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:45pm
Plays well again.Clean sheet and a win. Upto 4th.

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm

Mad that MON has so little faith in our players. There is Burnley with Ward, Hendrick, Brady and now Kevin Long all in the first 11 showing they are very decent players when set up right. When you have guys like Coleman, McCarthy, Duffy supplementing that MON shouldnt be downplaying our guys every chance he gets. In regards to Long great to see him getting some game time lets hope it continues.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Mad that MON has so little faith in our players. There is Burnley with Ward, Hendrick, Brady and now Kevin Long all in the first 11 showing they are very decent players when set up right. When you have guys like Coleman, McCarthy, Duffy supplementing that MON shouldnt be downplaying our guys every chance he gets. In regards to Long great to see him getting some game time lets hope it continues.

What better way to congratulate the lad on his performance than take a pop at the manager that has given him all his international caps...

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:39pm

It’s true. The logic doesn’t add up. The common perception is that premier league football is superior to international football. So how can our players be good enough for the premiere league but not good enough for international football?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It’s true. The logic doesn’t add up. The common perception is that premier league football is superior to international football. So how can our players be good enough for the premiere league but not good enough for international football?
Where would the Ireland team be in the table if they were a premier league side though? Count up the number of goals scored by our players in the last couple of years in the prem and tell me that adds up to anything other than relegation?

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:32pm

Because it's the hipster thing in European football to go 5 across midfield and play on the counter, the appalling amount of games in the Euro's proved that. I think every team used the exact same mindset except from Spain and Germany.

It takes a Manager with balls to break the current trend with a newer one which counters that, as Conte did with 3 at the back, he didn't invent it but he certainly made it the thing to do amongst the big teams in the EPL.

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Where would the Ireland team be in the table if they were a premier league side though? Count up the number of goals scored by our players in the last couple of years in the prem and tell me that adds up to anything other than relegation?

I don’t know where we would be in the table, but I know that Seamus Coleman would be far and away Burnleys best player, while the likes of Duffy, and a fit James McCarthy would be vying for starting places.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I don’t know where we would be in the table, but I know that Seamus Coleman would be far and away Burnleys best player, while the likes of Duffy, and a fit James McCarthy would be vying for starting places.

Exactly - that’s the point. Our players are evidently good enough to be 4th in the table. Why shouldn’t we compete at international level if our players are used to competing with some of the worlds best players on a weekly basis.

The answer I think is organization. Premier league teams play with each other every week. Teams like Iceland have brought that institutionalized system to international football and have succeeded because of it

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:33am
To be able to qualify for world cups though you need to have players who can create and score goals against quality teams. Republic of Ireland players have scored 7 goals this season and created 5 in the permier league . That doesn't put you fourth in the league it puts you last. 
That's why we rely on such negative tactics to, not because our players are less familiar with each other than other teams.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 1:53am

To be able to qualify for world cups though you need to have players who can create and score goals against quality teams. Republic of Ireland players have scored 7 goals this season and created 5 in the permier league . That doesn't put you fourth in the league it puts you last. 
That's why we rely on such negative tactics to, not because our players are less familiar with each other than other teams.

That is also true. We do lack regular goalscorers, even (to continue in the Burnley theme) a couple of the standard of Chris Wood or Sam Vokes.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:00am

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Exactly - that’s the point. Our players are evidently good enough to be 4th in the table. Why shouldn’t we compete at international level if our players are used to competing with some of the worlds best players on a weekly basis.

The answer I think is organization. Premier league teams play with each other every week. Teams like Iceland have brought that institutionalized system to international football and have succeeded because of it

No. A couple of our players are good enough to be playing in an overachieving side, just because they are doing so does not mean we must be doing better. It is a constant argument on here and one that is completely illogical, yet people run with it anyway. Judging players on the league position of their clubs appears to be very much an Irish thing, I just assume it is a form of clutching at straws?
We would also be a much better side if we had a few of the non-Irish Burnley players available to us. With no disrespect to Sam Vokes, it kind of shows where we are when we are desperate for a striker like him.

-------------

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

What better way to congratulate the lad on his performance than take a pop at the manager that has given him all his international caps...

agree here. also, kevin long is only now starting to get a run of games in the burnley side. considering he's been bench warming for most of the season, why should he be in the starting XI for the national team? the attack on MON is nonsensical, much like that to when Declan rice got into the west ham starting XI. young lads that need to concentrate on establishing themselves at club level before they can look to playing international matches.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:05am

That is also true. We do lack regular goalscorers, even (to continue in the Burnley theme) a couple of the standard of Chris Wood or Sam Vokes.

Sure we'd take Ashley Barnes!

Who interestingly, was capped at underage level by Austria Geek

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

agree here. also, kevin long is only now starting to get a run of games in the burnley side. considering he's been bench warming for most of the season, why should he be in the starting XI for the national team? the attack on MON is nonsensical, much like that to when Declan rice got into the west ham starting XI. young lads that need to concentrate on establishing themselves at club level before they can look to playing international matches.

While your point remains correct, Kevin Long is 27.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
There's always some excuse as to why Ireland can't do what numerous other sides of similar/inferior quality are able to do. There is nothing in Burnley's squad that can't also be found in Ireland's squad. Their strikers are no better than ours, nor do they even have a midfielder on the creative level of Hoolahan. As for the rest of the team, they're either Irish in case of Brady, Hendrick, and Ward, or they're of a similar/inferior quality to what's available for us - Cork, Mee, Lowton, Tarkowski, Pope etc., these are not outstanding players, yet they are playing constructive, effective football.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:14am

There's always some excuse as to why Ireland can't do what numerous other sides of similar/inferior quality are able to do. There is nothing in Burnley's squad that can't also be found in Ireland's squad. Their strikers are no better than ours, nor do they even have a midfielder on the creative level of Hoolahan. As for the rest of the team, they're either Irish in case of Brady, Hendrick, and Ward, or they're of a similar/inferior quality to what's available for us - Cork, Mee, Lowton, Tarkowski, Pope etc., these are not outstanding players, yet they are playing constructive, effective football.

Apart from a couple of decent midfielders and a striker. Apart from that I would agree.

-------------

Posted By: alihau41
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:15am

Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

While your point remains correct, Kevin Long is 27.

could still be classified as young, but more so in the sense that he hasn't played much in his career. less than 100 games played since leaving cork. that's less than 15 games a season

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:16am

Apart from a couple of decent midfielders and a striker. Apart from that I would agree.

Two of Burnley's midfielders ARE Irish

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:19am
So you are saying he is inexperienced but not young?

-------------

Posted By: Fruice
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:19am

Ye are on here praiseing Burnley they are going well but they are no Real Madrid they win the majority of there games 1-0.
Ireland tried to play in this manner for this campaign and by most got slated has old school negative hoofball.
Hot nor Cold won't please most lads here

By the way fair play to Burnley.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:21am

Two of Burnley's midfielders ARE Irish

Who is the other one? Hendrick and who else? From the couple of times I have watched Burnley it isn't Hendrick I wanted to be Irish. We are crying out for a Cork or Defour, the latter in particular.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
Robbie Brady was a midfielder last time I checked. McCarthy is better than Cork, and Arter is around his level too. The great Steven Defour has 1 assist so far this season, and has at times struggled to get into Burnley's side, but he's the great player we're missing! I'm sure you'd regard him just as highly if he was Irish rather than Belgian.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net