Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hillsborough - Justice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

It had nothing to do with him. It was merely an opportunity to show how "wonderful" we are at acknowledging foreign tragedies before an Ireland international.

You knew that these constant minute silences was going too far at that point. Other nations only hold these tributes in exceptional circumstances. Not anniversaries of them.
It had everything to do with him. I agree with your substantive point that we do too many tributes, but this was the anniversary of the death of one of our best players in a tragedy. Hillsboro didn't have the same ramifications for Irish football.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 9:26am
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 2:35pm
More shennanigans and the cops even doctored the fooking ref's statement

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/hillsborough-football-chief-under-fire-dave-richards-evidence

Edited by Sham157 - 11 Dec 2016 at 2:55pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:27am
Criminal charges to be brought against six people including David Duckenfield and Norman Bettison
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:33am
One step closer to justice. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:35am
Duckenfield to be charged with manslaughter as a result of gross negligence
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:14pm
Justice is finally coming for those families who have suffered so long.

you have to admire them for never giving up
Its very frustrating being a Slob
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Criminal charges to be brought against six people including David Duckenfield and Norman Bettison
It really should be murder, it has been a long time coming.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It really should be murder, it has been a long time coming.
I have the utmost sympathy and admiration for the families and feel that this latest action is long overdue.

But "murder"?

A simple definition of murder in English Common Law is: "an offence...    ... in which one person kills another with the intention to unlawfully cause either death or serious injury."

For all the criminal negligence of many agencies on the ground at Hillsborough, and the further clear criminality involved in the post-tragedy cover-up etc, not even the families are claiming that it was anyones intention that those people all died.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Agree with Terry here
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:45pm
Good old English Common Law, the very reason people could only campaign for manslaughter! The law in this country is designed to protect those who need least protection. It will be the same at Grenfell, although I doubt anybody will be prosecuted for even manslaughter there in another example of state sponsored murder.
The bottom line is that these people's lives weren't worth a damn and nearly thirty years on they are worth less.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:05pm

Good old English Common Law, the very reason people could only campaign for manslaughter! The law in this country is designed to protect those who need least protection. It will be the same at Grenfell, although I doubt anybody will be prosecuted for even manslaughter there in another example of state sponsored murder.
The bottom line is that these people's lives weren't worth a damn and nearly thirty years on they are worth less.
So who do you feel set out on the morning of the game and decided: "Today's a good day to kill a few Liverpool fans"?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

So who do you feel set out on the morning of the game and decided: "Today's a good day to kill a few Liverpool fans"?
Where did I say they did? I disagreed with what English Common Law decides is murder, you read that bit? So if I disagree with what the law states then I feel that murder doesn't need to be planned in advance. The police new full well their actions were dangerous and didn't care because they didn't see these people as human, that, to me, is murder.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:32pm

Where did I say they did? I disagreed with what English Common Law decides is murder, you read that bit? So if I disagree with what the law states then I feel that murder doesn't need to be planned in advance. The police new full well their actions were dangerous and didn't care because they didn't see these people as human, that, to me, is murder.
Common Law does not require pre-meditation to produce a "murder" verdict, mere intention (to kill) is sufficient.

So I'll ask you this question instead, whose actions on the day were intended to lead to the deaths of Liverpool fans?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm

Common Law does not require pre-meditation to produce a "murder" verdict, mere intention (to kill) is sufficient.

So I'll ask you this question instead, whose actions on the day were intended to lead to the deaths of Liverpool fans?
I will put this as simply as I can for you.

I.DON'T. BELIEVE.THERE.HAS.TO.BE.INTENTION.FOR.MURDER.

The police officers may not have 'intended' to kill, they just weren't  perturbed that that was the end result. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:39pm
Before the conversations go any further, people should be wary of posting on this topic.
As there are charges now pending, you can be well sure that their expensively paid lawyers will be having a good look at forums, twitter etc to try and find things they can use to prove that the people charged cannot get a fair trial. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Before the conversations go any further, people should be wary of posting on this topic.
As there are charges now pending, you can be well sure that their expensively paid lawyers will be having a good look at forums, twitter etc to try and find things they can use to prove that the people charged cannot get a fair trial. 
Fair point.
I just believe deliberate negligence is as bad, if not worse, than 'intent' and will leave it there.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:53pm
That's gross negligence manslaughter, and it carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment, like any form of manslaughter. The difference is that the penalty isn't mandatory. Whatever you call it, the label isn't really that important. What counts is the penalty.  I'll ask this: should anyone so charged of such an offence necessarily receive life sentences, without any possibility of a lesser sentence, if they are convicted? Whatever you think of their actions and culpability, to say that seems a step too far.

In the US it might be called "fourth degree murder", which is arguably incorrect; in the UK it is called gross negligence manslaughter. Both are forms of unjustified homicide.

Murder, by common definition, is the intentional ending of another person's life, with distinctions occasionally made (again, in the US, and not so much here or the UK) between cases where it was premeditated ("first degree"), like an assassination, not premeditated ("second degree"), like an overreaction in a bar fight where you deliberately stab someone in the neck with a broken glass, and, lower still, not premeditated but provoked or a crime of passion ("third degree"), like where you find someone sleeping with your wife and you murder them in a rage. Those are all killings with intention to take a life, or at least cause serious injury; that's why they're called murder.

Anything without intention to kill or cause serious injury isn't murder; that doesn't mean it isn't homicide and it doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished. Manslaughter is the usual term in the UK and here; it is still a very, very serious crime, carrying a potential sentence of up to life imprisonment, with the exception that that sentence isn't mandatory. The actions of the police in this case may well have been intentional, i.e., letting the crowd into certain pens and opening certain gates (again, it's for a jury to decide); that doesn't mean that the outcome was intentional.

It can be called many things, if proven, but it can't be called murder. It'll be for a jury to decide if they are guilty of manslaughter, but it's not murder. You give out about people using "literally" incorrectly, then you figuratively murder the definition of murder. It's not murder without some manner of intention. To use it otherwise is to do violence to the English language.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 28 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic