You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hillsborough - Justice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I suppose everyone accepts that there were possibly people there without tickets and that it was at least a common occurrence at the time..... but that doesn't mean any of them were in any way culpable for what happens, or that they even contributed in an non-blameworthy way.

But it does make the mismanagement of the situation worse. It means the authorities most likely knew or had to know fans showing up without tickets was happening, were woefully underprepared and opened the gates anyway (even if there weren't actually more fans there than tickets).

The fact there may have been fans without tickets does not seem to have been a factor *at all* in the disaster, particularly as there were fewer fans inside than the official capacity.

If it was a disaster waiting to happen, it exacerbates the blame attributable to the authorities, but it no way does it reflect on the fans. A decade or more of treating fans like animals was bound to lead to serious problems.

The spark that lit the touch-paper IMO in '89 as opposed to previous years (there were similar crushes during the '88 and '81 semi-finals in particular) was the change in (or lack of) policing protocol for crowd safety on approach to the ground. The man in charge in '89, Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield had only been promoted 6 weeks prior to the game and had no previous experience over-seeing something like that. He replaced Chief Superintendent Brian Mole who'd gotten the sack after some of his men had done a pretty extreme practical joke on a probation officer. Mole was the one experienced in commanding matches at Hillsborough down through the years and was replaced by Duckenfield 18 days before the dsiaster. Anyway, that lack of experience and a few other unfortunate coincidences such as heavy roadworks along the M62 had caused a greater rush to get to the ground which exacerbated the crush at the Leppings Lane entrance and turnstiles. Of course there were fans about the ground without tickets, there has been at hundreds of football matches I've been to in my life, but it was the complete mismanagement by an inadequately experienced police commander that was at the root of it, along with a stadium that hadn't even had a valid safety certificate for 8 years. That also makes the FA and SWFC partly culpable also. The gate, only usually used for exit, was fatally opened to alleviate the crush outside the ground.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Sponsored Links

heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not a single mention of the verdict on the front page of The Sun.......

Or The Times. Funny that..!

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:00am
Definitive and comprehensive story and the circumstances of the now criminal behaviour of Duckenfield and the police is brilliantly written about in The Guardian here

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:04am
Some of RTIDs 'look at me everyone' posts and some associated replies by others have been deleted.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:08am
Surely there can't be individuals being negative about this horrendous battle for justice? AngryThumbs Down
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Or The Times. Funny that..!

A sickening slap in the face for Tony Barrett, a great football writer.

Whoever made that decision should be ashamed of themselves.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 12:37am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

While this verdict is substantially excellent and came 27 years too late, it lost a bit of credibility for me when it refused to even consider that some Liverpool fans were partially responsible for the overcrowding.   

It specifically asked this question you imbecile.

Edited by eire77 - 27 Apr 2016 at 9:08am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 5:18am

Theres a surprise the feckin rag.
Embarrassed
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

While this verdict is substantially excellent and came 27 years too late, it lost a bit of credibility for me when it refused to even consider that some Liverpool fans were partially responsible for the overcrowding.   

It specifically asked this question you imbecile.

Mother of Jaysus..........Shocked, it was found the amount of Pool fans at the Leppings Lane end hadn't exceeded its fooking capacity and as you said eire, the question asked, answered and proven to be not so.  f**k's sake. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:34pm
The Support Groups asked for the inquests be held in the North-West for logistical reasons, not necessarily Liverpool. It doesn't matter where they were held tbh, the facts of the day are still the same.

Liverpool fans were legally cleared of causing the disaster. Blaming ticketless fans for what happened was rejected by the jury.

We've all been to games, particularly I find at some Ireland away games, where there has been the potential for issues with most fans trying to get in near ko time. There have been times in such cases where valid tickets were not checked, however that doesn't mean people had no tickets. Other times, people went to different seats/areas not as indicated on tickets themselves, which still regularly happens today. In any case, it's the responsibility of the security teams to ensure that the stadium is a safe environment to go to games in. That obviously didn't happen at Hillsborough in 1989, and in a number of previous cup semi finals there, where disasters were postponed rather than avoided.

There are no winners in this, nor has justice been served. Justice will be only when the full process is completed, when those responsible face the consequences in a court of law. That is still some way off yet, and is the next phase to be gone through.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 11:49pm
Honestly, though, I believe the biggest crime was the conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and everything that occurred afterwards.

I'm not sure I would necessarily want to see anyone prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter, at this stage. Duckenfield was clearly to blame but he was only there because of Wright putting him there, and Wright is already dead. I don't see any massive merit in prosecuting him for gross negligence manslaughter.

The cover up is callous, cold and calculating, on a massive scale, when everyone knew they were lying. It's absolutely unforgivable and exacerbated an already traumatic situation. Everyone who was involved in that side of things should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It is behaviour completely unbecoming of a police officer. Whatever about the massive crowd control failures, the majority of that can be traced to one officer who was inexperienced. The perjury, however, was systematic, and went on because too many police officers were afraid to stand up and do what they should have done, what they were sworn to do, and uphold the law.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:39am
It won't happen but it would be good to see "Sir" Bernard Ingham (Maggie's Chief Press Sec.) have his little knighthood stripped from him. Have a look at these:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/bernard-ingham-who-called-liverpool-fans-tanked-up-yobs-still-refuses-to-apologise-to-hillsborough-families-despite-inquest-findings-34661783.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-mum-tells-sir-bernard-3325002

There was also a good session on Hillsborough in Westminster. Labour's Andy Burnham in particular made a very touching contribution. 

https://hansard.digiminster.com/Commons/2016-04-27/debates/16042756000001/Hillsborough

It's a painful legacy of disasters that football throughout Britain has - 
Ibrox in 1902 (25 dead, 517 injured) 
Ibrox in 1971 (66 dead, 200+ injured)
Burnden Park in 1946 (33 dead, c400 injured)
Valley Parade in 1985 (56 dead, 265 injured) 
Hillsborough in 1989 (96 dead, 766 injured)

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The 1983 All-Ireland football final is commonly thought to be the nearest the GAA came to a disaster - it was not all-ticket and a gate on Hill 16 was broken down.

My knowledge of GAA and it's history is non-existent and I had never heard of this before. What happened ? 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:29am

Honestly, though, I believe the biggest crime was the conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and everything that occurred afterwards.

I'm not sure I would necessarily want to see anyone prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter, at this stage. Duckenfield was clearly to blame but he was only there because of Wright putting him there, and Wright is already dead. I don't see any massive merit in prosecuting him for gross negligence manslaughter.

The cover up is callous, cold and calculating, on a massive scale, when everyone knew they were lying. It's absolutely unforgivable and exacerbated an already traumatic situation. Everyone who was involved in that side of things should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It is behaviour completely unbecoming of a police officer. Whatever about the massive crowd control failures, the majority of that can be traced to one officer who was inexperienced. The perjury, however, was systematic, and went on because too many police officers were afraid to stand up and do what they should have done, what they were sworn to do, and uphold the law.

The level of experience is irrelevant tbh. This is about responsibility. Someone took decisions that led to the killing of 96 people and 776 injured. So they must and will face the consequences, along with their colleagues who exhausted every avenue to delay, deflect, and deny justice for it.

Two English newspapers decided not to cover the verdicts on their front pages. However, no Irish newspaper (that I am aware of) put it on their front page at all. To put it in perspective, this is a country that once thought it was important enough to devote a minute's silence to the 50th anniversary of Munich at an Ireland international.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:53am
You don't have to look far to see who made the call on marking 50th anniversary of Munich 😜
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

It won't happen but it would be good to see "Sir" Bernard Ingham (Maggie's Chief Press Sec.) have his little knighthood stripped from him. Have a look at these:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/bernard-ingham-who-called-liverpool-fans-tanked-up-yobs-still-refuses-to-apologise-to-hillsborough-families-despite-inquest-findings-34661783.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-mum-tells-sir-bernard-3325002

There was also a good session on Hillsborough in Westminster. Labour's Andy Burnham in particular made a very touching contribution. 

https://hansard.digiminster.com/Commons/2016-04-27/debates/16042756000001/Hillsborough

It's a painful legacy of disasters that football throughout Britain has - 
Ibrox in 1902 (25 dead, 517 injured) 
Ibrox in 1971 (66 dead, 200+ injured)
Burnden Park in 1946 (33 dead, c400 injured)
Valley Parade in 1985 (56 dead, 265 injured) 
Hillsborough in 1989 (96 dead, 766 injured)

The 1983 All-Ireland football final is commonly thought to be the nearest the GAA came to a disaster - it was not all-ticket and a gate on Hill 16 was broken down.

My knowledge of GAA and it's history is non-existent and I had never heard of this before. What happened ? 
When I saw a Westminster session, I assumed you meant the Tories celebrating the deaths at the time. 
I am not Andy Burnham's biggest fan, he is very much of the shapeshifting 'new Labour mould to me, but he has been superb on this issue and it appears to have been 100% genuine and not politically motivated. 
I personally very much enjoyed Joe Anderson's speech, in fact anything I have seen of him I have liked. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

But it does make the mismanagement of the situation worse. It means the authorities most likely knew or had to know fans showing up without tickets was happening, were woefully underprepared and opened the gates anyway

This is the bigest sin on the day
Not opening the gates would have led to deaths outside

No safety plan and no regard for people's safety.

Then the sickening cover up that was the way at the time.

The cover up has made it impossible for those left behind to move on with their lives.

Hopefully we will never see such a tragedy again.

Opening the gates wasn't the main issue. It was not closing the tunnel leading to the central pens and herding people into them rather than directing them into the side pens where there was plenty of room. There was actually a specific crowd control technique named after the police officer who first devised it that should have been implemented as it was in previous semi finals under the previous Chief Superintendent Mole. Duckenfield hadn't bothered even reading up on how previous semis had been policed and only went on duty with the intention of curtailing trouble and paid zero attention to crowd control. It would have been relatively simple to alleviate the crush outside and prevent any deaths there and to manage the situation on the Leppings Lane terraces and there was precedent for doing so.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

This is the match in question. 

Hill 16 is the terrace on the end to the left, over in the far corner, where all the Dublin fans are. It was literally a hill, in that there were no internal exits and you had to climb up the steps at the back of the hill to get on or off it. Up to and including 1983, no tickets were issued for the standing terraces for All-Ireland finals, or any match - admission was on a first come, first served basis. At some stage before the match, the stewards decided it was full and so closed the gates, with people still waiting to get in. It's all anecdotal evidence but it's pretty much universally thought that a gate was broken down and the remaining crowds streamed into the terrace, nobody knows exactly how many. My father was on his way down to the stadium and people were leaving - "I thought I'd never get out" was one quote I've heard several times from him about what people said to him. It was just luck that there wasn't a crush or a stampede. There were fences at the front of the terrace but the much more open access at the back of the terrace and the lack of pens as at Hillsborough, probably stopped people being killed.

All All-Ireland finals were made all-ticket after that match.

Again, it's important to stress that unlike what happened at Croke Park in 1983, no gate was broken down at Hillsborough and the Leppings Lane terrace was under capacity. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

There was actually a specific crowd control technique named after the police officer who first devised it that should have been implemented as it was in previous semi finals under the previous Chief Superintendent Mole. Duckenfield hadn't bothered even reading up on how previous semis had been policed

Like say Coventry v Leeds two years previous in 1987 ?

Miracle nobody died that day.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
  Share Topic