You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 252>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Eamon Sweeney has an article in the paper saying by adding €6.25 to each ticket it will cover the cost of security. No way the government should be paying for this and i doubt Katie would even fill Croke Park anyway.

It will be the hottest ticket in town and a guaranteed sell out IMO.

I wouldn't be so sure. For starters, the ticket prices could well put people off as they won't be cheap.
Secondly, you would be mostly relying on people in and around Dublin to fill Croke Park - main fight would likely be at 10.30pm and with the rugby on that weekend I doubt there will be many traveling up from the country who would want to pay the prices for any hotels left. 
My guess was they would definitely sell 50,000 but not fully convinced they would get to 80,000.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I dont know how they do their modelling of how much profit they are going to make on the fight being in croker based on a projected gate vs. in the 3Arena but obviously it must be much higher doing it in a smaller venue (with higher ticket prices). 
But like Deane said I think that would be a complete shame not to have the home coming in the biggest stadium so even if it's greed that is pushing them into the direction of 3Arena instead I think some sort of compromise to make it happen in croker should be found.

It looks like it's going to be down to mcgregor to be the one to find the solution which will then become the mcgregor show.
Whereas the government should be the ones stepping up due to the will of the nation to see the fight in croker for Katie's sake

But how do you justify tax payers money going into private individuals pockets for little or no return?
Nothing will happen with McGregor. 

There is a sh*t ton of tax payers money going to private individuals pockets that is hard to justify. This is a one off event that the public want to see.

But we leave it to McGregor to the rescue and to take over and male it the mcgregor show
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I dont know how they do their modelling of how much profit they are going to make on the fight being in croker based on a projected gate vs. in the 3Arena but obviously it must be much higher doing it in a smaller venue (with higher ticket prices). 
But like Deane said I think that would be a complete shame not to have the home coming in the biggest stadium so even if it's greed that is pushing them into the direction of 3Arena instead I think some sort of compromise to make it happen in croker should be found.

It looks like it's going to be down to mcgregor to be the one to find the solution which will then become the mcgregor show.
Whereas the government should be the ones stepping up due to the will of the nation to see the fight in croker for Katie's sake

But how do you justify tax payers money going into private individuals pockets for little or no return?
Nothing will happen with McGregor. 

There is a sh*t ton of tax payers money going to private individuals pockets that is hard to justify. This is a one off event that the public want to see.

But we leave it to McGregor to the rescue and to take over and male it the mcgregor show

So, your justification is throwing bad money after bad actually isn't that bad? 
Again, as I keep mentioning, nothing will happen with McGregor. 

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:57pm
There will be no Croke Park fight in May with the European Rugby final on same day, it might happen in September and should happen if McGregor puts up serious cash to sponsor the event .
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 5:05pm
The government should never bail this out especially not to prevent someone like McGregor getting the spotlight. Better thing's to spend our taxes on. 

Like somebody said, slap an extra tenner on the tickets and it sells out. If the next fight is in the 3 arena so be it. She loses they can do a September trilogy in croker if she wins she can fight somebody else in croker. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 5:14pm

Eamon Sweeney has an article in the paper saying by adding €6.25 to each ticket it will cover the cost of security. No way the government should be paying for this and i doubt Katie would even fill Croke Park anyway.

I don't think it'll sell out, what sort of crowd are you expecting. There's definitely nowhere near that number of boxing fans, would you think it'd be the sort of thing you'd go to with a gang of mates like a football match? Would it be a rugby/concert type thing where you have couples heading along? Is it a family thing?

I probably do all of the above type of events regularly enough and can't see any of my mates/wife/kids wanting to go to it.

Genuinely interested to hear what sort of crowd people think would go.
- traditional boxing/UFC crowd?
- Ireland international crowd
- Rugby Crowd
- GAA crowd
- U2 Concert crowd
- Garth brooks crowd
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 6:16pm
So a a global boxing fight which can get a crowd of 50,000-80,000 paying fans + the tv rights. And it might not happen over 500k. Lies, lies and more lies. The government should and will tell them to f**k off.

Funnily enough it reminds me of the Ballybrack Sardine Supporters situation. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

So a a global boxing fight which can get a crowd of 50,000-80,000 paying fans + the tv rights. And it might not happen over 500k. Lies, lies and more lies. The government should and will tell them to f**k off.

Funnily enough it reminds me of the Ballybrack Sardine Supporters situation. 
LOL
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 1:40am
If you take out the greed of matchroom. 
Katie is own her own. She wants to fight in croker for the Irish fans in a homecoming fight, in a repeat of the biggest female boxing fight of all time…. but she needs someone to put up 500k to cover security costs. Do you not think this is something the government could get involved in to help her realise her dream and also be part of what would be a great occasion that the Irish people want to see. A legacy event even. 

I also get the extra 10 quid on ticket argument but obviously matchroom are as nervous as some posters about the potential for a lower turnout than needed
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I don't think it'll sell out, what sort of crowd are you expecting. There's definitely nowhere near that number of boxing fans, would you think it'd be the sort of thing you'd go to with a gang of mates like a football match? Would it be a rugby/concert type thing where you have couples heading along? Is it a family thing?

I probably do all of the above type of events regularly enough and can't see any of my mates/wife/kids wanting to go to it.

Genuinely interested to hear what sort of crowd people think would go.
- traditional boxing/UFC crowd?
- Ireland international crowd
- Rugby Crowd
- GAA crowd
- U2 Concert crowd
- Garth brooks crowd

It would be a crowd made up partially from all of those groups you listed plus others.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 12:11pm
Personally speaking if it was in Croker and not a horrific price I'd be looking at going, but I'd have no interest trying to source a ticket for the 3Arena. I've never been to a boxing night before but think Katie in Croker would be special enough. 

I think there are plenty like me but I don't know if it'd fill Croker... at the end of the day the price would dictate a lot to me even though I'd love to go. I wouldn't be keen on spending more than I would for an All-Ireland final. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:43pm

If you take out the greed of matchroom. 
Katie is own her own. She wants to fight in croker for the Irish fans in a homecoming fight, in a repeat of the biggest female boxing fight of all time…. but she needs someone to put up 500k to cover security costs. Do you not think this is something the government could get involved in to help her realise her dream and also be part of what would be a great occasion that the Irish people want to see. A legacy event even. 

I also get the extra 10 quid on ticket argument but obviously matchroom are as nervous as some posters about the potential for a lower turnout than needed
I’d love 2 weeks in Vegas - should the government pay for that ?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Personally speaking if it was in Croker and not a horrific price I'd be looking at going, but I'd have no interest trying to source a ticket for the 3Arena. I've never been to a boxing night before but think Katie in Croker would be special enough. 

I think there are plenty like me but I don't know if it'd fill Croker... at the end of the day the price would dictate a lot to me even though I'd love to go. I wouldn't be keen on spending more than I would for an All-Ireland final. 

Cheapest tickets for a Croke Park fight would be around €80 if imagine
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 5:24pm

Ohhhhh wont someone please think of the poor boxing community Cry Cry Cry

Multi millionaire promoters that can't find 500k? Do you honestly believe this bullsh*t ffs.
Katie could afford to pay it herself and get it back as part of her payment deal, any number of people involved in it could pay it.  

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 6:09pm

Then why aren't they. Looks like the fight is not going to happen in croker 

Ohhhhh wont someone please think of the poor boxing community Cry Cry Cry

Multi millionaire promoters that can't find 500k? Do you honestly believe this bullsh*t ffs.
Katie could afford to pay it herself and get it back as part of her payment deal, any number of people involved in it could pay it.  

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 6:22pm
If it's not going to happen in Croke Park it certainly isn't because of 500k it's a tiny sum of money in a 200milion deal. The likelihood is they can't get enough of a tv deal on top of being 100% sure how many ticket sales. 

That security money bullsh*t is an excuse to say it's not our fault, we did our best. 

It seems to be working 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 2:36pm

If it's not going to happen in Croke Park it certainly isn't because of 500k it's a tiny sum of money in a 200milion deal. The likelihood is they can't get enough of a tv deal on top of being 100% sure how many ticket sales. 

That security money bullsh*t is an excuse to say it's not our fault, we did our best. 

It seems to be working 

TV not a factor here as it’ll only be on DAZN. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 8:34am
Conor Benn's excuse for his failed drugs test due to a "highly elevated consumption of eggs" has been accepted as a reasonable explanation by the WBC.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 252>
  Share Topic