You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 252>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:42pm
Anyone can hurt anyone of they catch them right, and he certainly caught him
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:05pm
Hearn saying there is a gap of about 500-600k to make the Katie Taylor fight happen in Croker.

Would the government not just step in and make it happen? This is Katie's homecoming fight and she deserves it to be in Croker.

It's looking like Conor McGregor is going to be the Knight in shining armour if its to happen but then what will it become? We will have McGregor on one side, Jake Paul om the other, Hearn in the middle and it will become a bigger fight I'm sure and higher grossing and normally i would be all for that.....BUT  will take away from Katie being the central person in all this and who the whole event should be built around.

Really hope the government step in and cover costs so Katie gets the fight at Croker she deserves without Mcgregor having to prop her up 

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Feb 2023 at 12:05pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Hearn saying there is a gap of about 500-600k to make the Katie Taylor fight happen in Croker.

Would the government not just step in and make it happen? This is Katie's homecoming fight and she deserves it to be in Croker.

It's looking like Conor McGregor is going to be the Knight in shining armour if its to happen but then what will it become? We will have McGregor on one side, Jake Paul om the other, Hearn in the middle and it will become a bigger fight I'm sure and higher grossing and normally i would be all for that.....BUT  will take away from Katie being the central person in all this and who the whole event should be built around.

Really hope the government step in and cover costs so Katie gets the fight at Croker she deserves without Mcgregor having to prop her up 

Why would the government want to put money in Eddie Hearn's pocket?
Realistically, the McGregor thing isn't going to happen - The timelines most likely won't allow that so it'll be the 3 Arena in my opinion.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:23pm
Hearn & McGregor should both be told to f**k off. Looking for state aid for something he’ll make millions from LOL
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Why would the government want to put money in Eddie Hearn's pocket?
Realistically, the McGregor thing isn't going to happen - The timelines most likely won't allow that so it'll be the 3 Arena in my opinion.

My thoughts too. If musicians can rent Croke Park and make a profit then why cant the promoters here? 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:24pm
@Borussia, Hearn is Katie's promoter and they have their rates. Its the business and they are not wanting to go below their rates.

Of course the government don't have to do anything but the net result is Katie doesn't get her big homecoming in croker that almost everyone in the country I believe would love to see. 600k is nothing for a government in the grand scheme of things and a small price to pay to get the spectacle that would be Katie at Croker in a homecoming fight. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:30pm

@Borussia, Hearn is Katie's promoter and they have their rates. Its the business and they are not wanting to go below their rates.

Of course the government don't have to do anything but the net result is Katie doesn't get her big homecoming in croker that almost everyone in the country I believe would love to see. 600k is nothing for a government in the grand scheme of things and a small price to pay to get the spectacle that would be Katie at Croker in a homecoming fight. 

Hearn wants to make money from the fight as does Katie and as does Amanda Serrano - How much they want to make determines the economics of the situation. If the maths doesnt add up for one scenario then it's not up to the Irish government to fill the gaps.

€600,000 might seem small but I think most people would agree that it would be better spent where its actually needed and not making money for private individuals, with no return for the goverment.

And I say that as a huge boxing fan who has been following Katie long before she went pro. 

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:41pm

Hearn wants to make money from the fight as does Katie and as does Amanda Serrano - How much they want to make determines the economics of the situation. If the maths doesnt add up for one scenario then it's not up to the Irish government to fill the gaps.

€600,000 might seem small but I think most people would agree that it would be better spent where its actually needed and not making money for private individuals, with no return for the goverment.

And I say that as a huge boxing fan who has been following Katie long before she went pro. 

Would argue that such a crowd at croke park would generate a lot of money on vat and duty from the surge in spending? Not that I want the promoters to pocket taxpayer cash.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Would argue that such a crowd at croke park would generate a lot of money on vat and duty from the surge in spending? Not that I want the promoters to pocket taxpayer cash.

No more so than any big game at Croke Park - And that's assuming they sold it out which I'm not sure that they would. 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:45pm
I honestly think it would be a massive shame if it isn't in Croke Park.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:48pm
Hearn has been losing a fortune for his Dazn investors (they’ve changed to a PPV model, despite insisting it’s not, to make up for losses) so I’d assume that’s why he’s been shifting the blame on to the government.

Boxing promoter in hiding truth shocker.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Hearn has been losing a fortune for his Dazn investors (they’ve changed to a PPV model, despite insisting it’s not, to make up for losses) so I’d assume that’s why he’s been shifting the blame on to the government.

Boxing promoter in hiding truth shocker.

In fairness to Hearn, DAZN's business model is on them not him - They contracted him to do a job and he's doing it. They've badly misjudged their market by the looks of it.

And if you look at his recent interviews on IFL for example, he wasn't asking the government for money at all and made a point of saying he wasn't blaming them - Now, Eddie is a salesman so I wouldn't rule out that he said something different previously but I'm just going by the recent stuff. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 1:16pm
Eamon Sweeney has an article in the paper saying by adding €6.25 to each ticket it will cover the cost of security. No way the government should be paying for this and i doubt Katie would even fill Croke Park anyway.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Eamon Sweeney has an article in the paper saying by adding €6.25 to each ticket it will cover the cost of security. No way the government should be paying for this and i doubt Katie would even fill Croke Park anyway.
She absolutely would. The amount of event junkies in this country who've never even watched a fight before would fill it, let alone actual boxing fans.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 2:29pm
No way this be in croke park now I'd say so will more than likely be 3arena in May then back to croke park later in the year if it happens at all 

Hearn complaining that the gaa weren't covering the cost of the tiles on the pitch etc way I see it he's just trying to cut his own costs so he can cash in that bit more on Katie fighting in Ireland 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:16pm
I dont know how they do their modelling of how much profit they are going to make on the fight being in croker based on a projected gate vs. in the 3Arena but obviously it must be much higher doing it in a smaller venue (with higher ticket prices). 
But like Deane said I think that would be a complete shame not to have the home coming in the biggest stadium so even if it's greed that is pushing them into the direction of 3Arena instead I think some sort of compromise to make it happen in croker should be found.

It looks like it's going to be down to mcgregor to be the one to find the solution which will then become the mcgregor show.
Whereas the government should be the ones stepping up due to the will of the nation to see the fight in croker for Katie's sake

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Feb 2023 at 3:19pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:28pm

I dont know how they do their modelling of how much profit they are going to make on the fight being in croker based on a projected gate vs. in the 3Arena but obviously it must be much higher doing it in a smaller venue (with higher ticket prices). 
But like Deane said I think that would be a complete shame not to have the home coming in the biggest stadium so even if it's greed that is pushing them into the direction of 3Arena instead I think some sort of compromise to make it happen in croker should be found.

It looks like it's going to be down to mcgregor to be the one to find the solution which will then become the mcgregor show.
Whereas the government should be the ones stepping up due to the will of the nation to see the fight in croker for Katie's sake

But how do you justify tax payers money going into private individuals pockets for little or no return?
Nothing will happen with McGregor. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

It will be the hottest ticket in town and a guaranteed sell out IMO.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 252>
  Share Topic