You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:57pm
I think he is extremely poor and the fact he is starting in our team in a world cup qualifier shows how poor we actually are.

Edited by aviva8 - 29 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Probably not the most popular opinion on here given his miss on Saturday but I think Collins is decent enough and has done alright. Apart from the Georgia game where he was completely isolated and looked out of his depth (got no service to be fair) he still gets into the right positions when there's a chance. 

He had a really good effort that hit the side netting similar to one against Bulgaria where the ball came in slightly behind him and he did well to get it near the target. 

Connolly doesn't have the physical strength to play that role. Either Long or Collins has to be starting in with Robinson and or Connolly imo. I would've started Long the other night given his mobility and he could stretch the defence more but Collins who is a journeyman average player for me is a better finisher than Long. One or there other should be picked for the September games as there doesn't seem to be any current alternative for the centre forward role.  

He has 14 goals in 79 games from open play which equates to a 1 on 5.6 goalscoring record. I'm pretty sure if Long was playing Championship football with regularity as opposed to Premier League football sporadically, then he would at least equal that.

Scott Hogan has 13 in 46 since joining Birmingham which equates to a 1 in 3.5 goalscoring record. Substantially better than Collins.

Not that I think any of these options are what we need at the moment. We badly need one of Connolly, Idah, Parrott or Obafemi to come good over the next 6 months.

A young Daryl Murphy who can score goals, trap the ball, worry defenders and win everything in the air would be wonderful.

When you see Idah getting shrugged off the ball and struggling to get involved and Connolly struggling to get anything off referees, you really see it.

Even Collins was extremely fortunate to win some of the decisions the other day that we wouldn't get in 9 matches out of 10 (see Serbia). He literally threw himself into Luxembourg players to win a few of them. Really agricultural stuff.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:10pm
He is a third division striker. There won't be queues of Championship clubs coming in for him and if Cambridge were to go up I would like to see us try and get better.
You can't fault him for effort, but he is a long way off what's required.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:35pm
I like Collins but Parrott may honestly be best suited to one of our attacking roles. He is really good at brining midfielders into play (albeit in the championship/league one) and we don’t have anybody else who is good at making the balls stick.

Like i say, I like Collins but he is a 30 minute player not a 90 minute player 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Probably not the most popular opinion on here given his miss on Saturday but I think Collins is decent enough and has done alright. Apart from the Georgia game where he was completely isolated and looked out of his depth (got no service to be fair) he still gets into the right positions when there's a chance. 

He had a really good effort that hit the side netting similar to one against Bulgaria where the ball came in slightly behind him and he did well to get it near the target. 

Connolly doesn't have the physical strength to play that role. Either Long or Collins has to be starting in with Robinson and or Connolly imo. I would've started Long the other night given his mobility and he could stretch the defence more but Collins who is a journeyman average player for me is a better finisher than Long. One or there other should be picked for the September games as there doesn't seem to be any current alternative for the centre forward role.  

I don't know whether it's because I'm aware of his limitations and don't expect too much from him but he wasn't too bad at all. Out of all our strikers, he's the only one I'd expect to be in a decent position to score from a cross or a pull back. Whether he'll score is another story.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 6:19pm
I know Collins is a limited player but if Parrot came on last week and scored and then almost scored against Luxembourg and came close with an overhead, there'd be lads on here creaming themselves.

Edited by Lenny82 - 29 Mar 2021 at 6:19pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 6:44pm
agree 109% Lenny. Collins never gave up in both games and was demanding the ball all the time . 
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 6:56pm
Almost like people are more lenient with 19 year olds taking their first steps in senior football. If we have a newly turned 19 year old performing as well as 30 year old Championship players then people would rightly be excited. 

Imagine supporting and being patient with kids, what assholes. 

Edited by IrishCanadian - 29 Mar 2021 at 6:58pm
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:11pm
Collins is in and out of a poor bottom of the table championship side.  The guy who got the goal for Luxemburg plays for Dynamo Kiev, started in Europa League against Villareal a couple of weeks back and played in the Champions League earlier in the season.   

Yeah he did ok in the two games, but he's f**king past 30, he's not good enough to be taking a place in the side and missing sitters from 3 yards.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:56pm
Press reports yesterday indicate a lot of interest from other clubs in Collins,whose contract at Luton is up in the summer. Interest appears to be primarily from other Championship clubs including Preston and Derby but there have been enquiries from USA as well.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Press reports yesterday indicate a lot of interest from other clubs in Collins,whose contract at Luton is up in the summer. Interest appears to be primarily from other Championship clubs including Preston and Derby but there have been enquiries from USA as well.

Would be mad not to take a chance in the US if the money is good
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

100% 

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:28pm
US move would mean probably finished for Ireland so I'm all for it.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:33pm
The money won’t be good for him in the USA. 

The only mentions are from rag tier papers anyway who claim interest of “MLS clubs” which is universal talk for made up garbage. If they knew of actual interest then they’d say the actual club rather than generic MLS club sh*te just tacked on for the craic.  
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 3:05pm
I hear this Collins isn't too popular down Cork way.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

US move would mean probably finished for Ireland so I'm all for it.

Yeah because we have loads of other better options at the moment. Should we just send the whole squad to the US as they are clearly blocking the wonderful players we have waiting to replace them? 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 3:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic