You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

James Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 6:58am

Three well taken goals from James yesterday.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 9:34am
would be delighted to be proven wrong by Collins but didn’t see it any time he played for us.  Always felt he looked out of his depth.  

He is in form though.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:03am
Anyone who is scoing goals has to be a plus for us .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:26am
How many Irishmen have scored a hat-trick for their clubs?

Keane, Walters, Leon Best and Stokes.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

David McMillan last Sunday for one. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:22am
hornet just text me to say that Frank Stapleton scored a hat trick against watford in 1983 😀😀😀

Edited by Baldrick - 13 Dec 2020 at 11:22am
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

hornet just text me to say that Frank Stapleton scored a hat trick against watford in 1983 😀😀😀
he forgot his password?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
If parrott scored a hat-trick yesterday the view would be very different. 

For me Collins is our only player scoring goals at a high level. We can't expect ireland to score when you look at the players who are not scoring 

Connolly, idah, Robinson, parrott, mcclean, odowda are all in contention for the front three of ireland. All play under different managers that cant seem to get them to score, yet, when they play for ireland we expect Kenny to turn them into goalscorers.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Loads.

Kevin Doyle scored two, Daryl Murphy scored one, Adam Rooney scored one, Alan Lee scored one, Conor Hourihane scored one and Wes Hoolahan scored one at Championship level.

There's probably more.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 1:29pm
To me, its a PR issue with the fans, as far as Collins is concerned. Basically, he is a lad in his early thirties, who spent the guts of his career in the lower leagues, before moving to a club that has moved through the divisions to become a Championship team (but in recent memory, they were a non-league club). He was potentially the victim of the system employed in the last days of the MM era, where he was cut adrift up top, and was in the team in Switzerland, which was the poorest night under the MM era. In combination, this makes it difficult for fans to take him on as a potential front man in an international sense. This would be different if he was three years younger and doing the same for Boro, Blackburn or Brentford.

The difficulty is, our greatest concern is up top. We have just lost our front man to retirement, the natural alternative (Long) is chronically out of form. After that you are either shoehorning a wide player like Connolly or Robinson in up top, relying on the likes of Parrott, or Idah to come good, or else looking at players like Sean Maguire who is neither as prolific or as involved in a Championship team as Collins is. I suspect the desire for Ronan Curtis would even be more dubious.

Collins ticks a number of key boxes.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 1:37pm
Collins has missed a hat load of chances in the last two games he's been involved in for us and, aside from those chances, he was anonymous in general play.

He's no more the answer than any of them and I would have little hope if we're going with him in March.

We need to change the setup for the strikers rather than play merry-go-round on the off-chance one of them comes good.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 2:20pm
he is a striker with some good traits playing well in division two, if you are looking for a pretty footballer he will get you nowhere, but he has effectiveness when played to his strengths
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 2:31pm
Not near god enough but unfortunately we have no other strikers scoring at the moment
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Not near god enough but unfortunately we have no other strikers scoring at the moment

Well i think this is pretty much where we are at the moment, Collins deserves little criticism unless you can put forward a better option... of which there is none.

A player like obafemi is pretty much nowhere with respect to the ireland squad, however if he plays three games and scores a couple of goals there would be reasonable calls to have him in the starting 11. 

Were very much in transition.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:03pm
Poor first touch, one footed, slightly overweight journey man and he is currently our best available centre forward.

He's not Pele but he is currently our best bet at 9. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:33am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Poor first touch, one footed, slightly overweight journey man and he is currently our best available centre forward.

I'd rather persevere with a 19 year old who's performing sh*te now than give more caps to a 30 year old performing at a similar capability. Collins will never get better. Our chances of qualifying for the WC are infinitesimal so we might as well persevere with the kids. With that in mind, we owe it to ourselves after investing approx. half-a-dozen caps to give Idah more support up top with a second striker or someone playing directly off him.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'd rather persevere with a 19 year old who's performing sh*te now than give more caps to a 30 year old performing at a similar capability. Collins will never get better. Our chances of qualifying for the WC are infinitesimal so we might as well persevere with the kids. With that in mind, we owe it to ourselves after investing approx. half-a-dozen caps to give Idah more support up top with a second striker or someone playing directly off him.

Senior managers job is to pick the best available 11 for the next game. 

The only game that matters is the next game. 

Collins is currently our most in form striker. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:52am

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Senior managers job is to pick the best available 11 for the next game. 

The only game that matters is the next game. 

Collins is currently our most in form striker. 

It's one game. Before the weekend, he had 1 in 11 league games (a penalty). His decision making was shocking after coming on in the Wales match and he was similarly abysmal in the Bulgaria match. He may have a different physique than the likes of Idah, Parrott, Connolly, Robinson, Maguire and Long but he's no Daryl Murphy or Jon Walters who will unsettle defenders and get the ball to stick to him. I just don't think he's any better as a short-term alternative than any of the others mentioned. Between the Wales and Bulgaria matches, he had at least three good chances and fluffed all of them, and did little else of note.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Dec 2020 at 2:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic