Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

West Ham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 87>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Slight short term gains can be as a result of many factors, not least the fact that Orient brought season ticket prices down to 180, the cheapest in the division, to offset the West Ham factor. The problem for O's is the long term problems, it is difficult for London teams to try and have a community feel in a city that lacks just that, it is even harder when clubs are allowed break FA rules and move on your doorstep.

Orient have, and will be fine. Almost all the Season Tickets at the OS were sold to previously registered supporters and ST Holders, so there was never the availability for attrition.
Short term maybe(or not, the problems there in this case are not as a result of anything West Ham have or have not down) but the next generation, although to be fair, most Orient fans don't come from Leyton anymore than West Ham's do. I still think it will have a huge effect on their future. Every single aspect of  West Ham moving into that stadium leaves a bad taste, appropriate for a club that celebrates it!
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:11pm

Short term maybe(or not, the problems there in this case are not as a result of anything West Ham have or have not down) but the next generation, although to be fair, most Orient fans don't come from Leyton anymore than West Ham's do. I still think it will have a huge effect on their future. Every single aspect of  West Ham moving into that stadium leaves a bad taste, appropriate for a club that celebrates it!

However, I don't believe it will be to the detriment of Orient, even in the long term. They have almost 30 years consistency when it comes to attendance figures, and I don't forsee it changing. There are other factors which will also be relevant in the future, as undoubtedly the West Ham ticket prices will increase over time.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:13pm

However, I don't believe it will be to the detriment of Orient, even in the long term. They have almost 30 years consistency when it comes to attendance figures, and I don't forsee it changing. There are other factors which will also be relevant in the future, as undoubtedly the West Ham ticket prices will increase over time.
I do, as do Leyton Orient fans, it is funny that West Ham fans don't. Either way, the move should never, ever been allowed.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:15pm

I do, as do Leyton Orient fans, it is funny that West Ham fans don't. Either way, the move should never, ever been allowed.

It was allowed. And only time will tell who is correct.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:17pm

Indeed to both, it was and always will be a disgrace in my eyes, hardly unexpected from the FA though.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:04am
Chelsea getting linked with a move for Payet.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:28am

Indeed to both, it was and always will be a disgrace in my eyes, hardly unexpected from the FA though.

nothing short of a disgrace. how can a club like orient build for future growth when an EPL team are gift-wrapped a stadium in waiting on their doorstep? young kids around the area would certainly prefer to go to a PL game if it's on their doorstep rather than supporting the local team who since the decision have gone from being a favourite for promotion to the championship to hovering above the relegation zone back down to the conference.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

nothing short of a disgrace. how can a club like orient build for future growth when an EPL team are gift-wrapped a stadium in waiting on their doorstep? young kids around the area would certainly prefer to go to a PL game if it's on their doorstep rather than supporting the local team who since the decision have gone from being a favourite for promotion to the championship to hovering above the relegation zone back down to the conference.
Different strokes. If people want a nice local team with an initmate stadium they're gonna go Orient. If people want a PL team they'll go elsewhere. In this day and age, a few km between stadiums isn't going to change much. It's not like 10 year olds are going to football on their own
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Different strokes. If people want a nice local team with an initmate stadium they're gonna go Orient. If people want a PL team they'll go elsewhere. In this day and age, a few km between stadiums isn't going to change much. It's not like 10 year olds are going to football on their own

I'm actually still bitter about orient throwing away 2 goal lead vs Brentford in the league1 playoff final a couple of years ago. will blame that on west ham too, the ***ts
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I've bumped your comments about Raheem Sterling last summer on the Liverpool thread there.
Hardly nonsensical. You were the one brought up stupid and throwaway remarks. Wink
Right and their relevance to your touchiness about the EPL is what? I have no idea how Raheem Sterling is doing and I couldn't give a f**k either, he didn't look great against Celtic but haven't seen him play otherwise. I don't care what Superleague is handing him silly money, if I got it wrong and it offended you I am sorry. It is still nonsensical, at least you have managed to explain what you are on about, if not the relevance.
Now, bar stools? Is that supposed to be a dig at me, I honestly don't get it.

I assume that is a video of his goal? I still didn't think he played well. I was very underwhelmed by all of the Man City players though. Can you address the parts highlighted in bold now please?

No thanks
The conversation has been exhausted at this stage.
It has, but I sense there was an attempt at a personal dig in there and I would like to understand what it was, I assume your embarrassment is preventing that though?
Thumbs Up
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 5:59pm

Kids in the area were within the catchment area for West Ham United anyway. Leyton and West Ham are either side of Stratford on the Central Line, and the Jubilee Line respectively. If kids wanted to support a PL team they had West Ham, and if kids wanted a non-PL club they had Orient. But be honest, even kids in East London will find ways to root for Chelsea, or Arsenal, and in some cases the Manchester Clubs. That is a drain on both WHUFC and LOFC, but it is just a reality that location is mattering less and less when it comes to supporting a football team.

However, WHUFC were always in throwing distance of Orient, so this is not a major shock to the system, nor the death knell for them.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:11pm

Kids in the area were within the catchment area for West Ham United anyway. Leyton and West Ham are either side of Stratford on the Central Line, and the Jubilee Line respectively. If kids wanted to support a PL team they had West Ham, and if kids wanted a non-PL club they had Orient. But be honest, even kids in East London will find ways to root for Chelsea, or Arsenal, and in some cases the Manchester Clubs. That is a drain on both WHUFC and LOFC, but it is just a reality that location is mattering less and less when it comes to supporting a football team.

However, WHUFC were always in throwing distance of Orient, so this is not a major shock to the system, nor the death knell for them.
But it broke FA rules, rules that were in place for a reason.  As I have said before, fans of both clubs(match going at least) are few and far between in the area, that in itself is more damaging to Orient than West Ham. this is hardly going to help. It is obviously going to have a massive affect on O's as time goes by.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:26pm

But it broke FA rules, rules that were in place for a reason.  As I have said before, fans of both clubs(match going at least) are few and far between in the area, that in itself is more damaging to Orient than West Ham. this is hardly going to help. It is obviously going to have a massive affect on O's as time goes by.

It didn't break FA rules. These are highly interpretative Premier League rules, which could be vigorously and justifiably argued that they were not broken. And I really don't believe its obvious that it will have an impact. Both clubs are fish in different ponds, and will attract different types of supports, particularly as you say yourself the supports are not necessarily from the areas of Leyton and West Ham. The different experiences available means that this should not be a problem for Orient going forward, and I predict they will still be getting 3-5k people through their gates in 20 years time.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:34pm

It didn't break FA rules. These are highly interpretative Premier League rules, which could be vigorously and justifiably argued that they were not broken. And I really don't believe its obvious that it will have an impact. Both clubs are fish in different ponds, and will attract different types of supports, particularly as you say yourself the supports are not necessarily from the areas of Leyton and West Ham. The different experiences available means that this should not be a problem for Orient going forward, and I predict they will still be getting 3-5k people through their gates in 20 years time.
The FA rules, since changed, clearly stated that a club could not move inside a three mile radius of an already existing club, with clubs already within the boundary given dispensation-Nottingham and Liverpool clubs, for example. I believe the radius was set at three miles, if the rumours are to e believed, for the purpose of keeping West Ham and Orient apart, the cockerney ****s' previous home being about 3.3 miles I believe. Build one white elephant of a stadium and there ya go, rule forgotten. I doubt Leyton Orient will exist 20 years time and this decision will be the reason.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm

The FA rules, since changed, clearly stated that a club could not move inside a three mile radius of an already existing club, with clubs already within the boundary given dispensation-Nottingham and Liverpool clubs, for example. I believe the radius was set at three miles, if the rumours are to e believed, for the purpose of keeping West Ham and Orient apart, the cockerney ****s' previous home being about 3.3 miles I believe. Build one white elephant of a stadium and there ya go, rule forgotten. I doubt Leyton Orient will exist 20 years time and this decision will be the reason.

Any as you say yourself, they are rumours. Plus, I don't for one second believe that any such rules would be as focussed at that, on one particular club. What is said at the Matchroom Stadium and what is factual may well be two very different things. Also, do you know where the text of the rule is as I cannot locate it, and all the commentary focussed on the Premier league rule? And for the record, I'm not trying to dig you out, I'm just looking to see the rule for myself, and I cant find it.

Orient will still be there, and will still get their fans, and their visitors who want that type of footballing experience.

Edited by Het-field - 13 Jan 2017 at 7:55pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:56pm

Any as you say yourself, they are rumours. Plus, I don't for one second believe that any such rules would be as focussed at that, on one particular club. What is said at the Matchroom Stadium and what is factual may well be two very different things.

Orient will still be there, and will still get their fans, and their visitors who want that type of footballing experience.
The rule was there, that isn't in question, you are right to doubt the veracity of it being connected to Orient, probably just a coincidence, what is funny is how the rule disappeared as soon as the white elephant needed to be filled.

By the way, it is Brisbane Road.

Edited by pre Madonna - 13 Jan 2017 at 8:01pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 10:00am

Payet has threatened to feign injury if West Ham ORDER him to play.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm
Things looking rosy post-payet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 87>
  Share Topic