You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Masterson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 3:02pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 5:08pm
Debut today for him on loan at Cambridge. Sounds like it went well, he should go well at this level, but he really needs to stay fit and have a run of games from now until January, he has fallen so far down the centre back pecking order due to lack of games in the last couple of years.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 8:01am
They were singing Conors praises on Quest TV Sam Parkin said his performance against Bolton was absolutely superb.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 4:16pm
Hauled off at half time with Cambridge losing 3-0 to MK Dons.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm
On course for a rare clean sheet in Cambridge's Papa John's game tonight after his goalkeeper bailed him out by saving a penalty he conceded.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:55am
Sent back to QPR, who are actively looking for reinforcements at CB.

Not looking too good for him.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Sent back to QPR, who are actively looking for reinforcements at CB.

Not looking too good for him.

What?? Leaving a club in the bottom half of league 1 back a club that is in the top 5 of the championship. If anything it's a good move 

Edited by drog addict - 04 Jan 2022 at 1:00pm
Chips don't bounce
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:07pm
He has been sent back back as they don't rate him or see him good enough. He's not being recalled. As pointed out above, it's not good for him.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:16pm
He was let go by Cambridge because he had lost his place in the team. Even though they are short on defenders they still didn't think it was worth hanging on to him.

It's disappointing to see his career on the slide as, of all our young centre backs, he was arguably the one that was most highly rated leaving Ireland. I think Liverpool paid quite a large fee for him - the very first post on this thread suggests a million but that might have been overstating it? But it hasn't worked out. Not a huge problem from an Ireland point of view as we have so many other centre backs, but disappointing for the player obviously.

Possibly he stayed at Liverpool too long and didn't play enough football at a younger age. Dara O'Shea was out learning the game in the non leagues and League 2 while Masterson was playing Under 23s at Liverpool. Of course it's also possible that he was overrated to begin with and just wasn't as good as was thought.

I'd like to see him come back to Ireland now and play League of Ireland this year. I'm sure he'd have plenty of interest. We saw with the Under 21s there is talent there, he might be a standout defender in the League of Ireland and maybe go again from there.

Edited by You Tell Me - 04 Jan 2022 at 1:20pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:49pm
Nolan certainly was hyped up based on the club he was signed to and nothing else. I remember people getting annoyed when he wasn't making Ireland under 21 squads, but there was no evidence to back up the view that he should have been picked, it was just guesswork because he captained the Inter youth team.

Masterson had at least put in some good performances for our Under 21s so there was more reason to be hopeful for him. But he doesn't seem to have been able to sort out the issues in his game - concentration and physicality - and a player who makes mistakes and doesn't win his share of 50/50s is always going to struggle down the divisions in England.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Strange that Conor Masterson and Ryan Nolan where the most highly rated Irish players when they were at Liverpool and Inter Milan respectively. 

Both now look like they're going to struggle make even a modest career from football.

where is ryan nolan now? still with getafe?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 2:40pm
Nolan was let go by Getafe last summer. I didn't hear of him finding another club, so probably just a free agent now.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Nolan was let go by Getafe last summer. I didn't hear of him finding another club, so probably just a free agent now.

Nolan is still at Getafe AFAIK. He had a bad cruciate injury shortly after arriving.

We are absolutely blessed at centre back for the foreseeable future so I think we can safely write these 2 off in terms of international football.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 04 Jan 2022 at 3:03pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Nolan is still at Getafe AFAIK. He had a bad cruciate injury shortly after arriving.

We are absolutely blessed at centre back for the foreseeable future so I think we can safely write these 2 off in terms of international football.

I dont think he is, he only signed a short term contract to the end of the season that ended in the summer and hes not listed under any of their squads on their website for 2021/22 season.

He did his ACL start Dec 2020 as he was about to make his debut in the Copa Del Rey for the seniors, that was 13 months ago. Surely he has recovered? Smallbone was out with the same for 7/8 months.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:28pm
pretty sure nolan is no longer with getafe's b team
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:45am
It's a pity it hasn't worked out for Masterson. Lots of giddiness and hype around him when he was making the bennch for Liverpool matches. He has a fair way to go now to make any sort of career for himself. Possibly back here in the LOI. Cant see QPR keeping him on, he's 23 now, he's with them 2 years.
It goes to show that we never really know about someone until they get out playing first team games though. We've had a few lads this week who have been sent back from loans where things didnt work out.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:59am
There is another issue with young players that sign for the bigger English teams, they are taught how to play football a certain way that mirrors the first teams of their clubs but isn't necessary good for the development of the 95% of their youth players that don't end up making the grade at a team like Liverpool.

So someone like Masterson is competent in the Liverpool way of being a centre back, good on the ball etc. but not good enough to break through at Liverpool. So he heads off down the leagues and it turns out that it's a completely different skill set that's needed to be a centre back at places like QPR and he doesn't have the right skills, but by then it's too late to fix the problem.

I think it was someone like Dan Crowley (or possibly another Irish eligible youth player) who said something similar about Arsenal. They made him a great technical player but gave him the wrong skills for the lower level he was more likely to be playing at during his career. Maybe Masterson would have been better served in the long run going to somewhere like West Brom rather than Liverpool, we'll never know I suppose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
  Share Topic