You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tour de France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 11:00pm
Nothing much on GC today as expected, though Fugslang crashed out in 9th and Thomas took a minor spill but is OK. Caleb Ewan won his 2nd stage in a sprint finish. 

Would think it is between Pinot, Bernal & Thomas and probably in that order, though there have been plenty surprises so far. Alaphillipe will be under serious attack on Thursday from just about everyone, and he'll do very well to stay in yellow by the time the stage is over. His team weren't a factor the last day in the mountains and they'll have to do more for him over the next 3 days if he is to stay in contention. He'll probably win the fcukin stage now just to surprise everyone. 

Kruswijk is mainly a wheel follower, he can follow just about anyone at any pace but has yet to show he can put serious time into anyone by attacking himself. Buchmann I don't know a lot about, but his tactics so far have mirrored that of Kruswijk, maybe @13/1 he is the best e/w bet but you would be really only getting 1/4 odds on him to finish 3rd, unless he has something he hasn't shown so far. 

On the other hand, Kruswijk in particular will probably never have a better chance to win, mainly as Roglic would generally be his teams preferred GC rider if he was about, so between his absence and the fact he's so close to the lead of the race, hopefully he can muster up some form of attack over the 3 mountain days. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
Geraint Thomas starting to make his move!  into the Alps and the decisive part of the Tour de France.
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 11:34pm
Big breakaway of 30 plus riders was let go early today, Matteo Trentin was the stage winner who eventually came out of that group to win the stage. Nothing happened in GC. Today's biggest news came hours after the stage finish where Tony Martin and Luke Rowe were thrown out of the race, Martin for squeezing Rowe off the road and into a ditch, Rowe for throwing a punch at Martin when he caught up with him minutes later. 

All kinds of conspiracy theories about the French trying to weaken Sky/Ineos for the last 3 days by ejecting Rowe, but the jury had only one Frenchman on it, the organisers have thrown bigger names out before for similar offences (Sagan a few years ago springs to mind, and Mark Renshaw for the rather impressive feat of throwing a headbutt at another cyclist while in the middle of a sprint finish some years back as well) and in any case Rowe so far hasn't actually done a whole load to help Thomas or Bernal in the latter stages. 

Big 3 days ahead anyway for the top 6. 

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
looking forward to todays big mountain stage, giving some strange weather for it! I just fear with 3 big days in the alps that they might hold off a bit because of the other hard days coming up

Have cycled all 3 mountains in the opposite direction in the past, amazing spot

Edited by Shoco - 25 Jul 2019 at 9:47am

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

looking forward to todays big mountain stage, giving some strange weather for it! I just fear with 3 big days in the alps that they might hold off a bit because of the other hard days coming up

Have cycled all 3 mountains in the opposite direction in the past, amazing spot
Was that through La Marmotte? Thinking of doing that next year
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:56pm
No a gang from our club did Napoleans route a few years ago, cycled from Geneva to Nice.

Had our own support vehicle with us which took luggage everyday, couldn't have done it without it

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 11:53pm
Bernal today's big winner, gaining 30 seconds or so and moving him up to 2nd overall and also into bookies favourite. It will still go to the last racing day on Saturday, but tomorrow might see some bigger time splits opening between the top 6. Alaphillipe still holding on but looking shakier on the steep bits, today's finish was downhill, something he excels at, so was able to get back lost time on his rivals, the next 2 days are uphill finishes. 

Stage won by Quintana, who was so far back at the beginning of the day the main GC lads let him go into the breakaway, that won't happen in the next 2 days either. Climbed the last mountain a minute quicker than the previous fastest time, which was held by Frank Schleck. Schlek was allegedly a client of Dr Fuentes of Operacion Puerto fame, and although it was confirmed that a money transfer of 7 grand had taken place from the cyclist to the doctor, he was cleared of any doping allegations in 2008. Expensive doctor all the same.  In 2012, he was stood down by his own team for testing positive for a banned diuretic and later banned for a year as a result of that test. 

That is the problem with cycling, you simply can't look at lads today going faster than known dopers ever did and come to the conclusion they are clean athletes. Against that, the times set by the rest of the GC lads on that climb weren't anything out of the ordinary, or whatever ordinary is for top cyclists these days. 

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 3:51pm
Can't believe how this has ended today!!!

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 3:58pm
Absolutely mental! Why didn't they call the finish line at some point up the road before they hit the snow? There'll be some inquest into this
Some people just deserve a slap
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 4:00pm
Wtf..

Is the snow plough needed?

A light dusting!?!?!

LOL

Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm
Its bad and a mudslide too blocking the road. It was brilliant viewing up until then. Alaphillipe was motoring on the descent, he'll be disgusted. They'd no choice but to call it unfortunately but going to lead to some arguments about time bonuses etc. By right Bernal is 39 seconds in front if the top of the climb is deemed the finish I think
Some people just deserve a slap
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Absolutely mental! Why didn't they call the finish line at some point up the road before they hit the snow? There'll be some inquest into this
There was no timing spot there, top of the last climb was the last spot they had timekeepers/cameras to get a time for everyone.

Mental day, worked from home to watch that.

Bit emotional about Pinot. Probably the best chance he'll ever have in his life to complete his biggest goal in life. Have to feel for the lad
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:30pm
Jaysus that's unreal weather. Drug fueled global warming there saying 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:33pm
it wasn’t just France, race in Italy got battered by hailstones so big they had to pull over and hide under trees! Conor Dunne has a video up of it on Twitter.

Tomorrow’s race has been cut short to 59km with the rosland being taken out of it because of the expected weather.

Bernal has a 45 second lead now

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:34pm
If I hadn't backed Allaphilipe then I'm sure i'd feel differently about this.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

it wasn’t just France, race in Italy got battered by hailstones so big they had to pull over and hide under trees! Conor Dunne has a video up of it on Twitter.

Tomorrow’s race has been cut short to 59km with the rosland being taken out of it because of the expected weather.

Bernal has a 45 second lead now

Its over so, there isn't a hope Bernal will lose 45 seconds in 59kms with only one climb, plus, all his teammates (rather than just Thomas and one or 2 others) will be about for probably 55kms to make sure nobody goes anywhere. 

Sad to see Pinot go, he was having a great race. A lot of if's, but's and maybe's about the finish today (and tomorrow for that matter as the shortened stage will prevent any real damaging attacks of the kind lads could lose minutes). Alaphillipe might well have gained back the 45 seconds he needed on the descent, so maybe he is unlucky there was no timing device at the bottom of the mountain, but equally he could also have ended up in a ditch trying too hard. 

Even though Bernal still had a long way to go at 38kms mostly uphill, I think the likeliest scenario was Alaphillipe losing even more than that 2 minutes to Bernal on the final climb, and possibly his podium position to Thomas & Kruisjwick, had it been navigable. Impossible to say for definite though, as he has done very well in limiting his time losses on the big stages so far, but he did look shaky on a few occasions when the others stepped on it. 

Hopefully he stays in 2nd or doesn't fall any lower than 3rd, he deserves at least a podium spot. Tomorrow will be like an uphill time trial with lads going flat out from the very start, more or less anyone could win the stage. Nibali, just about anyone from Movistar, Simon Yates, Barguil and maybe Lutsenko I'd expect to have a go.  GC wise, think it is possible that Bernal puts another few seconds into his rivals late on just to remove any doubt.

Valverde @40/1 seems a decent e/w....

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Nibali, just about anyone from Movistar, Simon Yates, Barguil and maybe Lutsenko I'd expect to have a go. GC wise, think it is possible that Bernal puts another few seconds into his rivals late on just to remove any doubt.

Pretty much got the stage contenders right anyway, won a huge €25 on Valverde coming 2nd too Big smile

Anyone wondering what would have happened Alaphillipe yesterday had the stage been allowed finish (or today's stage been longer) got their answer today I think. Thomas was the only one who could have taken it off Bernal, but even that much looked doubtful based on the mountain stage performances of both so far.

I wonder about the likes of Kruisjwick & Buchmann not attacking, at least Buchmann is a youngfella and might get another chance somewhere in years to come, but these conservative strategies will never beat Ineos in a race like that. An attack wouldn't have worked and everyone knows it, but at least Alaphillipe can go home & say he gave it his best shot, I dunno can the other 2 lads say the same. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:00pm

Nibali, just about anyone from Movistar, Simon Yates, Barguil and maybe Lutsenko I'd expect to have a go. GC wise, think it is possible that Bernal puts another few seconds into his rivals late on just to remove any doubt.

Pretty much got the stage contenders right anyway, won a huge €25 on Valverde coming 2nd too Big smile

Anyone wondering what would have happened Alaphillipe yesterday had the stage been allowed finish (or today's stage been longer) got their answer today I think. Thomas was the only one who could have taken it off Bernal, but even that much looked doubtful based on the mountain stage performances of both so far.

I wonder about the likes of Kruisjwick & Buchmann not attacking, at least Buchmann is a youngfella and might get another chance somewhere in years to come, but these conservative strategies will never beat Ineos in a race like that. An attack wouldn't have worked and everyone knows it, but at least Alaphillipe can go home & say he gave it his best shot, I dunno can the other 2 lads say the same. 

Buchman led the final group most of the way up the final 6/7km, he just couldn't shake the others. Kruisjwick would be very happy with 3rd, if he'd have attached on the 100/1 chance of winning and blown his podium spot he'd have been laughed out of town.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic