Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=39800
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tour de France
Posted By: Shoco
Subject: Tour de France
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:34pm
starts this weekend, looking forward to it, its a bit of a blow with Schleck out of the race now as it will more than likely be a straight fight between evans and Wiggans, both good climbers and tiam trialists so it should keep it intresting

was lucky enough to get on Evans at 8/1 when the route was announced last year when Contador and Schleck were both expected to race

Dan Martin also talking part in his first tour so plenty of irish intrest this yeah with him and his cousin Roche, would be great to see one of them take a stage

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Replies:
Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:42pm
Was thinking Wiggins myself as he's been in sound form and making all the right noise's about making a serious attempt at the yellow, my only question off him is his climbing compared to Evans who I reckon has more in the tank on the major climbs but Wiggins should claw any loss's back on the time trials

Cue wiggins to fall inside the first 8 stages LOL

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:46pm
Is Cúntador in this or is he banned

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:53pm

He's out Denis Thumbs Up

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

He's out Denis Thumbs Up

Clap 

Hope Evans wins it.

Would like to see one of the Irish lads win a stage. Would I be right in thinking Stephen Roche was the last Irishman to win a stage or was it Martin Earley.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:01pm
ya big pity andy schelck is not in it had him backed at 7's Unhappy 
hopefully wiggans cracks and cav falls on his hole LOL

Posted By: billybob
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:05pm
Cant see past Evans again as this years tour is a lot flatter compared to last year!

-------------
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by harry harry wrote:

Why? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:20pm
I can see the winner coming from a mad breakaway one day. Thomas Voeckler 200/1 Clap

-------------

Posted By: M.50
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:22pm
Praying for Nibali victory, his time will come one day but hopefully this time around Tongue

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:48pm

Why? Confused

dont like em, dont like all the hipe they are getting from sky sports just because they are team sky and british, hope they fail like thier counterparts last night

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:51pm

Why? Confused

dont like em, dont like all the hipe they are getting from sky sports just because they are team sky and british, hope they fail like thier counterparts last night

Stick to the football junior or how about stop watching British tv who like to cover their own sports people Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 10:54pm
wtf Confused

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:19pm

I can see the winner coming from a mad breakaway one day. Thomas Voeckler 200/1 Clap

I like your thinking SirThumbs Up

So, outside of Evans and Wiggins, who we looking at ? Sammy Sanchez up to much this year ? Will Frank Schleck do anything without the brother there ?

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:27pm
frank didnt look great in the giro, abondoned on a wet day in the alps

also the the 2 long individual time trials wont favour him at all

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

frank didnt look great in the giro, abondoned on a wet day in the alps

also the the 2 long individual time trials wont favour him at all

True that. I see Cunego is 300/1 , any idea on why so high a price? He won't win, but could be worth an e/w at that price. 

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/cycling/tour-de-france/winner" rel="nofollow - http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/cycling/tour-de-france/winner

-------------

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:44pm
Tour De Fags

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:23am
Looking forward to the tour myself too, always some very entertaining days.

Ryder Hesjedal could is worth an e/w bet too at 50/1 - looked impressive winning the Giro d'Italia last month when nobody gave him a chance..

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/giro-tour-double-talk-doesnt-faze-hesjedal_225630?utm_medium=whats-hot" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 5:53pm
I see Stephen Roche has just released his autobiography should be a great read.

-------------

Posted By: Mr Marbles
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 10:44am
Love watching this 

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 11:37am
I thought they renamed this race 'Find the Drugs 2012'?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 10:57pm
didnt see any of this yet, but good solid starts by the irish lads with martin finisging 8th today

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 12:04am
ya irish lads 24th and 25th overall i think, sagan some machine - cavendish going to have some job trying to retain the points jersey

Posted By: farfar
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 4:01pm
Commentators are saying that Kelly told them earlier that Martin is just going to stay out of trouble today and not get too involved in the sprint finish.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 4:37pm
Cavendish Clap

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 9:10pm

ya irish lads 24th and 25th overall i think, sagan some machine - cavendish going to have some job trying to retain the points jersey

was never going to compete for an uphill sprint yesterday

hes a lot lighter than last year so wont have the same power, also the sky team is built around wiggins for the GC so wont have the same support as he did at HTC last year, in saying that hes still the best and can always sit on his rivals wheels for the sprint

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 9:27pm
roches diary is always a good read every year, this year martin will be writing for the times

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-if-youre-going-to-jump-a-roundabout-at-60kph-you-better-get-it-right-3154843.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-if-youre-going-to-jump-a-roundabout-at-60kph-you-better-get-it-right-3154843.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0702/1224319185258.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0702/1224319185258.html

-------------

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 11:26pm

was never going to compete for an uphill sprint yesterday

hes a lot lighter than last year so wont have the same power, also the sky team is built around wiggins for the GC so wont have the same support as he did at HTC last year, in saying that hes still the best and can always sit on his rivals wheels for the sprint

Well, Cav is likely to pull out if he isn't winning or close to the top of the green jersey standings after stage 15, to prepare for the olympics. I'd be surprised if he was up there given team sky will be riding for Wiggins. A six day turnaround is probably too tight, frankly, and Cav will have plenty more opportunities to win a green jersey whereas the Olympics in London is a big opportunity.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:27pm
Cavendish caught up in one of the 4 crashes today. Roche gets 7th and Sagan wins again. Martin was caught up in a crash as well.

Roche up to 20th but Martin down to 87th.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:36pm
sagan is a machine on thoes uphill finishes, some bad crashed today, really messed some people up

tour diaries:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0703/1224319289698.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0703/1224319289698.html
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-i-spent-the-last-few-kilometres-like-a-giraffe-with-my-head-up-looking-out-for-trouble-ahead-3155653.html" rel="nofollow -
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-i-spent-the-last-few-kilometres-like-a-giraffe-with-my-head-up-looking-out-for-trouble-ahead-3155653.html

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 8:47am
Great stage yesterday. Usually don't get into it till the mountains but so many crashes and incidents yesterday. Think Sunday is the first big stage

Posted By: StickyMcGinty
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:26am
Lads, what was the story with Sagan's running man celebration at the end of stage 3 yesterday?? Did I hear he got a deliberate puncture as well?

Posted By: The BIG P
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 1:46pm
Apparently Sagans celebration was an imitation of Forest Gumps run! 
"I'm like Forrest Gump. When they told him to run, he ran. Today, my team mates told me to win. And I won,"

-------------
Howya now

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 11:52pm
another big crash today, cavendish brought down in it

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 12:01am
Cavendish will quit half way through if he isnt in points contention. He's better off focusing on the Olympics if he doesnt get many points in the coming days.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 9:35pm

Cavendish will quit half way through if he isnt in points contention. He's better off focusing on the Olympics if he doesnt get many points in the coming days.

Yeah, Sean Kelly was saying this last week reckons he'll see how he's doing going into the mountains and if he isn't doing well then he'll pack it in.

Is there a Team Time Trial this year ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:03pm
looked like je struggled a bit today after yesterdays crash

no team time trial, 2 individual 40-50k TTs

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:07pm

Boourns  Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 5:47pm
Sagan won again (Green jersey in the bag if he stays upright), Nico Roche up to 15th, big crash took down Hesjedal, Gesink, Frank Schleck and Voeckler among others. Dan Martin got tasked with trying to bring Hesjedal back to the peloton by the look of it, so lost a heap of time as well. This could be to his advantage next week in the mountains, in 143rd , he is not a threat to any of the GC men, and his leader isn't going to be troubling them either, so the team are not going to have any problem leaving him have a go at some stage. 

Can't bet on him to win any stage tho, has to be a specific one from what I can see. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:01pm
ya Sagan is the man of the moment Cav might never again see the green jersey

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Boourns  Thumbs Down

I wasnt a fan of it the last time. It made the classification look stupid for a while and it wouldnt have the same drama as the individual TT as the 2nd last stage.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Sagan won again (Green jersey in the bag if he stays upright), Nico Roche up to 15th, big crash took down Hesjedal, Gesink, Frank Schleck and Voeckler among others. Dan Martin got tasked with trying to bring Hesjedal back to the peloton by the look of it, so lost a heap of time as well. This could be to his advantage next week in the mountains, in 143rd , he is not a threat to any of the GC men, and his leader isn't going to be troubling them either, so the team are not going to have any problem leaving him have a go at some stage. 

Can't bet on him to win any stage tho, has to be a specific one from what I can see. 

Anybody reckon he might make/be allowed go for the KOM jersey  given his standing now in the GC

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:56pm
one of the fav's with the bookies could be worth a bet!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:41am

Anybody reckon he might make/be allowed go for the KOM jersey  given his standing now in the GC

Going for it is one thing, but given tis his first tour, it would be a big ask to go compete with Sammy Sanchez, Moncoutie etc more or less every day for 2 weeks. ( I posted this much, then had a look at oddschecker just for the craic, looks like you could be right Denis, he is 6th favourite for KOM). So I think we all agree he will win a stageWink, so the question now is which one ??

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:49am
gutted for dan, not what we wanted for his first tour but as said could open it up for him, garmin having a terrible tour in general so far

i think its a certain thav cav will def pull out now after today, caught up in another crash and out of the points again

looking forward to some mountains at the weekend and a bit of live racing instead of hilights

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 12:59am

gutted for dan, not what we wanted for his first tour but as said could open it up for him, garmin having a terrible tour in general so far

i think its a certain thav cav will def pull out now after today, caught up in another crash and out of the points again

looking forward to some mountains at the weekend and a bit of live racing instead of hilights
Only got the last 15 kilometers in today and going to miss it tomorrow again Cry. Are they showing the full stage on TG4 when Wimbledon is over?

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 1:01am
Just looking at KOM again, thinking maybe Rolland is worth a bet. Won Alpe D'uez last year, and this time, won't have to be looking after Tommy Voeckler. Has had a few crashes this week, so don't really know if any of them did him any serious damage. Europcar are fairly cash strapped, so you can be sure they will try and pull something off over the next 2 weeks to bring in a few shekels

-------------

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 4:19pm
Some finish there

Big big day to sort the gc out and both Irish lads well placed today also

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Some finish there

Roche up to 8th overall. He looked like he had given everything on the climb at the end today, really pushing it.

-------------

Posted By: c90
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Some finish there

they werent joking when they called the last 300m a wall.
that camera shot from behind the finish line was class

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:20pm
the steepness at the start and end was savage, great ride by roche, looks in good shape

to put the steepness of the climb into a tiny bit of perspective: today i tried a new climb on the bike, its possibly the hardest climb around although its short, i was using the same gear ratio as the lads today 39/25 it was so hard in once section i couldnt turn the pedals, i was pedalling so slow i couldnt sh*t in to my 30 ring and lost momentum and promptly fell over, my garmin registered 22% at that point!!

the pros today had that gradient for a couple of 100mtrs at a time

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:21pm

the steepness at the start and end was savage, great ride by roche, looks in good shape

to put the steepness of the climb into a tiny bit of perspective: today i tried a new climb on the bike, its possibly the hardest climb around although its short, i was using the same gear ratio as the lads today 39/25 it was so hard in once section i couldnt turn the pedals, i was pedalling so slow i couldnt sh*t in to my 30 ring and lost momentum and promptly fell over, my garmin registered 22% at that point!!

You what now ? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:28pm

You what now ? LOL

jaysus never noticed that! obviously i meant shift Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 3:48am

Roughly around the same amount of cyclists they have left in the TDF Wink. Dan is now the effective Garmin team leader for the hilly bits, now that Hesjedal is withdrawn. Money to be made here somewhere, just have to figure which stage. Froome's win was not much short of ridiculous, drove the pace for Sky for the last 5km, and still had the legs to beat Evans no bother at the end. Think Nibali is the fella hiding in the long grass this year. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:23pm
nibali doesnt stand a chance in the tiam trials though

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:00am
Roche down to 9th. Sanchez out.

If Roche gets a top 10 it'll be a great acheievement, AFAIK he wasn't leader of AG2R at the start but I presume he'll be now? He seems to be in better shape this year than he was when he previously went into the tour with that title. Maybe the pressure got to him

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:13am
Could drop out of top 10 (probably not more than a few places tho) tomorrow, he ain't the greatest time trialler and 2 or 3 behind him are between 20 odd seconds and a minute and a bit behind him. He doesn't quite have the legs to stay with the top lads every single day, but by the look of the way sky are driving the pace, he won't be alone in losing time, yer man Tarame went from 5th to 10th today after his great finish yesterday, while Menchov went up a few places in the other direction after losing time yesterday but finished with the leaders today. 

His nominal co-leader in the team, Peraud, is down in 43rd 18 mins down, so it is safe to say Nico will be team leader for the remainder, barring disaster. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:46am

Could drop out of top 10 (probably not more than a few places tho) tomorrow, he ain't the greatest time trialler and 2 or 3 behind him are between 20 odd seconds and a minute and a bit behind him. He doesn't quite have the legs to stay with the top lads every single day, but by the look of the way sky are driving the pace, he won't be alone in losing time, yer man Tarame went from 5th to 10th today after his great finish yesterday, while Menchov went up a few places in the other direction after losing time yesterday but finished with the leaders today. 

His nominal co-leader in the team, Peraud, is down in 43rd 18 mins down, so it is safe to say Nico will be team leader for the remainder, barring disaster. 

Ya I know he's no use at the TTs which will make it some feat if he does get a top 10 (and I know that atm will be well odds against). He does seem fitter than the last couple of tours where he lost bundles of time very early.

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 4:57pm
Wiggins really staked his claim today. Nearly 2 mins ahead of Evans. Roche is in 10th, 5 mins behind Wiggins

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 12:07am

Did better than expected today Shoco, but himself, Evans and Menchov (2 to 3 mins behind) will have to take at least 5 mins out of Wiggins (and probably Froome) in the mountains to have a chance, given the 2 lads are probably worth 1 to 2 minutes more in the next timetrial. 

Roche did well by his time trial standards, tough job ahead of him to hang onto the top ten spot having said that. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 12:18am
Wiggins and Froome were unreal today! Long way to Paris but Wiggins is looking really good!

-------------
Howya now

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 10:38am
would love to see Roche move up a few places....would need 2/3 really good stages though, but he did the same last year

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 12:11pm
Cofidis team hotel raided by police and a cyclist is being questioned! Every year there is a scandal for fook sake! 

-------------
Howya now

Posted By: Funsize Crouchy
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 12:19pm
Tony Martin has withdrawn to allow his wrist to recover in time for the Olympics

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:32pm

Did better than expected today Shoco, but himself, Evans and Menchov (2 to 3 mins behind) will have to take at least 5 mins out of Wiggins (and probably Froome) in the mountains to have a chance, given the 2 lads are probably worth 1 to 2 minutes more in the next timetrial. 

Roche did well by his time trial standards, tough job ahead of him to hang onto the top ten spot having said that. 

yeah nibali did a lot better than i thought, the next time trial is over 50k i think so hel probably put over 2 mins in to evans in that barring any mechanicals

its gonna be tough for them to make that time back but it does set up for some good racing in the mountains as the lads know roughly what theyl have to do

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:30pm
the bookies expecting fireworks tomorrow Nibali and Evans joint favs to win the stage

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:43pm
How did roche do today?

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:49pm
no racing today a rest day had a bet on nibali while ago to win tomorrows stage

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 10:30am
[QUOTE=thebronze14]How did roche do today? In the Indo he says he met his Gf Chiara,so I,d say he had a great dayWink...Think there are 2 or 3 that may not hold there top 10 positions on GC,Nico has a great chance of consolidating in the next week,he needs a sneaky breakaway and jump on the back or move with some team mates around(they seem quite anonymous)

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 10:38pm
great finish to the stage today, would have loved to see viogt win it

roche finished with the main GC lads today and moved up 1 spot in the GC, should have maybe went with rolland and van den broeck as he was close to him in the overall

mountain top finish tomorrow so should see some action between the GC riders

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 11:12pm
Not a lot happened as regards GC today, there is only the Pyrenees for Nibali to do something (looking unlikely that Evans will at this stage). Roche will have to try attack something or someone to regain top 10, don't think tis going to be enough sticking to the leaders for as long as possible and seeing where it goes from there, there are a lot of relatively strong mountain riders in and around him on the GC. 

And here's an article from Brad Wiggins about drugs, courtesy of the Guardian. 

There have been a couple of questions asked about doping this week and I don't feel I've been able to give a full answer. I understand why I get asked those questions given the recent history of the sport, but it still annoys me. It's hard to know what to say, half an hour after finishing one of the hardest races you've ridden, when you're knackered. The insinuations make me angry, because I thought people would look back into my history, the things I've said in the past, such as at the start of the 2006 Tour when I turned up for a first go at the race and Operación Puerto kicked off, what I said when Floyd Landis went positive, and what I said when I was chucked out with Cofidis after Cristian Moreni tested positive in 2007.

On the way home after that, I put my Cofidis kit in a dustbin at Pau airport because I didn't want to be seen in it, and swore I would never race in it again, because I was so sick at what had happened. Those things I said then stand true today. Nothing has changed. I still feel those emotions and I stand by those statements now.

To understand me, I think people need to look at the bigger picture, where I have come from, in the context of how the sport has changed, and how I've progressed. They see me put in a great time trial like I did on Monday: I can do it because I've worked hard to close the gap between me and Fabian Cancellara and Tony Martin. What seems to be forgotten is that the margin between me and the best guys wasn't that large in the past, even when I wasn't putting in anything like the effort I have in the past couple of years.

I do think that over the years I've laid down a few markers as to what I could do. I was fifth in the time trial in Albi in the 2007 Tour, behind Alexandr Vinokourov, Andrey Kashechkin, Cadel Evans and Andreas Klöden. The first two later tested positive for blood doping so I was effectively third, two weeks into the Tour, at a time when I wasn't concentrating on the race.

I had the engine already, and it showed that year when I won the prologues in the Dauphiné and the Four Days of Dunkirk. As early as 2005 I was seventh in the world time trial championships in Madrid: two of the riders in front of me, "Vino" and Kashechkin, were again, later, done for doping; a third, Rubén Plaza, was implicated in Operación Puerto. That year, I won a mountain stage in the Tour de l'Avenir.

When I look back, we now have an idea of what was going on in the sport back then, and it was a different era. Personally, I used to find it difficult. You'd be trying to negotiate a contract – say £50,000 – I had two kids to worry about, a livelihood to earn in the face of what was going on, and people beating me because they were doping. I had a chip on my shoulder as a result, and I wasn't shy of saying what I thought about doping because it directly affected me and the lives of my family.

Since then, drug tests have begun to work better, the blood passport has come in, so it's harder for people to dope. The chances of getting caught are far higher than they were. I do believe the sport is changing, if you look at what Ryder Hesjedal did at the Giro and what Chris Froome did at the Vuelta. As that change has happened, my performances have gone up, and at the same time I've begun to work far harder than I did before.

I'm not claiming the sport is out of the woods but doping in the sport is less of a worry to me personally, it's less at the forefront of my mind, because I'm no longer getting beaten by people who then go on and test positive or whatever. If there is a difference in my attitude now compared to back then, it's that I'm more focused on what I am doing, I pay less attention to what's going on outside my bubble because I'm not coming second to riders who dope.

It affects me less, in terms of my worrying about it, but the important thing is that nothing has changed in how I stand morally. Nothing has changed about the reasons why I would never dope. In fact, the reasons why I would never use drugs have become more important. It comes down to my family, and the life I have built for myself and how I would feel about living with the possibility of getting caught. I wrote it all in my autobiography back in 2008 and I still feel the same now. It's just I say it less. There is more attention on me, which makes me more withdrawn, and I don't feel easy in a leader's role, as [the  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/cycling" rel="nofollow - cycling  author] Richard Moore correctly wrote in his book.

The question that needs to be asked is not why wouldn't I take drugs, but why would I? I know exactly why I wouldn't dope. To start with, I come to professional road-racing from a different background to a lot of guys. There is a different culture in British cycling. Britain is a country where doping is not morally acceptable. I was born in Belgium but I grew up in the British environment, with the Olympic side of the sport as well as the http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/tourdefrance" rel="nofollow - Tour de France . I don't care what people say, the attitude to doping in the UK is different to in Italy or France maybe, where a rider like Richard Virenque can dope, be caught, be banned, come back and be a national hero.

If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house. Everything I have achieved, my Olympic medals, my world titles, the CBE I was given. I would have to take my children to the school gates in a small Lancashire village with everyone looking at me, knowing I had cheated, knowing I had, perhaps, won the Tour de France, but then been caught. I remember in 2007 throwing that Cofidis kit in the bin at that small airport, where no one knew me, because I didn't want any chance of being associated with doping. Then I imagine how it would be in a tiny community where everyone knows everyone.

It's not just about me. I've always lived in the UK. All my friends in cycling are here, and my extended family. Cycling isn't just about me and the Tour de France. My wife organises races in Lancashire. I have my own sportif, with people coming and paying £40 each to ride. If all that was built on sand, if I was deceiving all those people, I would have to live with the knowledge it could all disappear just like that. My father-in-law works at British Cycling and would never be able to show his face there again. Their family have been in cycling for 50 years, and I would bring shame and embarrassment on them. It's not just about me: if I doped it would jeopardise Sky – who sponsor the entire sport in the UK – Dave Brailsford and all he has done, and Tim Kerrison, my trainer. I would not want to end up sitting in a room with all that hanging on me, thinking: "sh*t, I don't want anyone to find out."

That is not something I wish to live with. Doping would simply be not worth it. This is only sport we are talking about. Sport does not mean more to me than all those other things I have. Winning the Tour de France at any cost is not worth the possibility of losing all that.

I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip: at the end of the day, I'm a shy bloke looking forward to taking my son to summer rugby camp after the Tour, where he could maybe bump into his hero, Sam Tomkins. That's what's keeping me going here. What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves.

-------------

Posted By: M.50
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 11:23pm
Wiggins is, and always has been, different class altogether Clap

He's worked hard to achieve his current status in the game and will be a deserving winner of this year's Tour.

A true athlete, in the toughest sport of all Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 11:33pm

Not a lot happened as regards GC today, there is only the Pyrenees for Nibali to do something (looking unlikely that Evans will at this stage). Roche will have to try attack something or someone to regain top 10, don't think tis going to be enough sticking to the leaders for as long as possible and seeing where it goes from there, there are a lot of relatively strong mountain riders in and around him on the GC. 

And here's an article from Brad Wiggins about drugs, courtesy of the Guardian. 

There have been a couple of questions asked about doping this week and I don't feel I've been able to give a full answer. I understand why I get asked those questions given the recent history of the sport, but it still annoys me. It's hard to know what to say, half an hour after finishing one of the hardest races you've ridden, when you're knackered. The insinuations make me angry, because I thought people would look back into my history, the things I've said in the past, such as at the start of the 2006 Tour when I turned up for a first go at the race and Operación Puerto kicked off, what I said when Floyd Landis went positive, and what I said when I was chucked out with Cofidis after Cristian Moreni tested positive in 2007.

On the way home after that, I put my Cofidis kit in a dustbin at Pau airport because I didn't want to be seen in it, and swore I would never race in it again, because I was so sick at what had happened. Those things I said then stand true today. Nothing has changed. I still feel those emotions and I stand by those statements now.

To understand me, I think people need to look at the bigger picture, where I have come from, in the context of how the sport has changed, and how I've progressed. They see me put in a great time trial like I did on Monday: I can do it because I've worked hard to close the gap between me and Fabian Cancellara and Tony Martin. What seems to be forgotten is that the margin between me and the best guys wasn't that large in the past, even when I wasn't putting in anything like the effort I have in the past couple of years.

I do think that over the years I've laid down a few markers as to what I could do. I was fifth in the time trial in Albi in the 2007 Tour, behind Alexandr Vinokourov, Andrey Kashechkin, Cadel Evans and Andreas Klöden. The first two later tested positive for blood doping so I was effectively third, two weeks into the Tour, at a time when I wasn't concentrating on the race.

I had the engine already, and it showed that year when I won the prologues in the Dauphiné and the Four Days of Dunkirk. As early as 2005 I was seventh in the world time trial championships in Madrid: two of the riders in front of me, "Vino" and Kashechkin, were again, later, done for doping; a third, Rubén Plaza, was implicated in Operación Puerto. That year, I won a mountain stage in the Tour de l'Avenir.

When I look back, we now have an idea of what was going on in the sport back then, and it was a different era. Personally, I used to find it difficult. You'd be trying to negotiate a contract – say £50,000 – I had two kids to worry about, a livelihood to earn in the face of what was going on, and people beating me because they were doping. I had a chip on my shoulder as a result, and I wasn't shy of saying what I thought about doping because it directly affected me and the lives of my family.

Since then, drug tests have begun to work better, the blood passport has come in, so it's harder for people to dope. The chances of getting caught are far higher than they were. I do believe the sport is changing, if you look at what Ryder Hesjedal did at the Giro and what Chris Froome did at the Vuelta. As that change has happened, my performances have gone up, and at the same time I've begun to work far harder than I did before.

I'm not claiming the sport is out of the woods but doping in the sport is less of a worry to me personally, it's less at the forefront of my mind, because I'm no longer getting beaten by people who then go on and test positive or whatever. If there is a difference in my attitude now compared to back then, it's that I'm more focused on what I am doing, I pay less attention to what's going on outside my bubble because I'm not coming second to riders who dope.

It affects me less, in terms of my worrying about it, but the important thing is that nothing has changed in how I stand morally. Nothing has changed about the reasons why I would never dope. In fact, the reasons why I would never use drugs have become more important. It comes down to my family, and the life I have built for myself and how I would feel about living with the possibility of getting caught. I wrote it all in my autobiography back in 2008 and I still feel the same now. It's just I say it less. There is more attention on me, which makes me more withdrawn, and I don't feel easy in a leader's role, as [the  http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/cycling" rel="nofollow - cycling  author] Richard Moore correctly wrote in his book.

The question that needs to be asked is not why wouldn't I take drugs, but why would I? I know exactly why I wouldn't dope. To start with, I come to professional road-racing from a different background to a lot of guys. There is a different culture in British cycling. Britain is a country where doping is not morally acceptable. I was born in Belgium but I grew up in the British environment, with the Olympic side of the sport as well as the http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/tourdefrance" rel="nofollow - Tour de France . I don't care what people say, the attitude to doping in the UK is different to in Italy or France maybe, where a rider like Richard Virenque can dope, be caught, be banned, come back and be a national hero.

If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house. Everything I have achieved, my Olympic medals, my world titles, the CBE I was given. I would have to take my children to the school gates in a small Lancashire village with everyone looking at me, knowing I had cheated, knowing I had, perhaps, won the Tour de France, but then been caught. I remember in 2007 throwing that Cofidis kit in the bin at that small airport, where no one knew me, because I didn't want any chance of being associated with doping. Then I imagine how it would be in a tiny community where everyone knows everyone.

It's not just about me. I've always lived in the UK. All my friends in cycling are here, and my extended family. Cycling isn't just about me and the Tour de France. My wife organises races in Lancashire. I have my own sportif, with people coming and paying £40 each to ride. If all that was built on sand, if I was deceiving all those people, I would have to live with the knowledge it could all disappear just like that. My father-in-law works at British Cycling and would never be able to show his face there again. Their family have been in cycling for 50 years, and I would bring shame and embarrassment on them. It's not just about me: if I doped it would jeopardise Sky – who sponsor the entire sport in the UK – Dave Brailsford and all he has done, and Tim Kerrison, my trainer. I would not want to end up sitting in a room with all that hanging on me, thinking: "sh*t, I don't want anyone to find out."

That is not something I wish to live with. Doping would simply be not worth it. This is only sport we are talking about. Sport does not mean more to me than all those other things I have. Winning the Tour de France at any cost is not worth the possibility of losing all that.

I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip: at the end of the day, I'm a shy bloke looking forward to taking my son to summer rugby camp after the Tour, where he could maybe bump into his hero, Sam Tomkins. That's what's keeping me going here. What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves.

As much as I'd like to believe that all riders are clean, it is hard to believe it watching over the last couple of weeks. The biggest question mark being Froome. How he drove on the leading group on stage 7 and then somehow had the energy to take the stage at the top of the climb was some feat. 

I must admit I don't follow the sport closely bar the major tours but that was some rise to prominence in last year's Vuelta. Suppose the same can be said for Wiggins but at least he had some previous form in this a few years ago. I still love watching it but the past will always hang over it. 

And there are still question marks over Roche and Kelly and TBH don't know enough to say too much about them but as far as I've been told both are very suspicious. 

But I must admit if you're just off the top level it must be awful tough to carry on knowing that most around you are up to their eyes in drugs.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 11:44pm
Kelly tested positive twice during his career, he has never confirmed or denied he took drugs. Even as (an excellent) commentator on Eurosport for the TDF, he tends to stay fairly clear of the issue. Roche, on the other hand, has consistently denied it, when all evidence, circumstancial as it may be, would point that he did. 

As much as it is tempting to think that the sport is winning (and as Shoco pointed out earlier, it does more than most other sports to combat drugs), you only have to go back 4 years to Wiggin's first TDF (he finished 4th) to find that he was the only one of that years top ten GC finishers who has never had any drugs related issue hanging over him. Personally, I would believe the fella, he has always been anti doping from the outset of his road race career (and presumably was as a track cyclist), there is no way I (or anybody else) could say the same for the rest of them. Would doubt Nico Roche is on drugs, if he is, he ain't taking the right ones, or enough of them......

Edit, regarding Kelly, I forgot about the PDM episode where the entire team (and it was the strongest in the TDF at the time) pulled out en masse one day because of ' food poisoning' . To say highly suspicious would be an understatement. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 12:05am

Kelly tested positive twice during his career, he has never confirmed or denied he took drugs. Even as (an excellent) commentator on Eurosport for the TDF, he tends to stay fairly clear of the issue. Roche, on the other hand, has consistently denied it, when all evidence, circumstancial as it may be, would point that he did. 

As much as it is tempting to think that the sport is winning (and as Shoco pointed out earlier, it does more than most other sports to combat drugs), you only have to go back 4 years to Wiggin's first TDF (he finished 4th) to find that he was the only one of that years top ten GC finishers who has never had any drugs related issue hanging over him. Personally, I would believe the fella, he has always been anti doping from the outset of his road race career (and presumably was as a track cyclist), there is no way I (or anybody else) could say the same for the rest of them. Would doubt Nico Roche is on drugs, if he is, he ain't taking the right ones, or enough of them......

Edit, regarding Kelly, I forgot about the PDM episode where the entire team (and it was the strongest in the TDF at the time) pulled out en masse one day because of ' food poisoning' . To say highly suspicious would be an understatement. 

LOL

As a matter of interest, how did the Irish media report on the alleged incidents? IIRC Roche was voted into the top 10 Irish sports people of all time ever at the turn of the decade. 

EDIT:with RTE

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 12:29am
That, I don't remember, Kelly's positive tests were in '84 and '88, the suspicion of the general public probably wasn't there, I would suspect the parochial nature of the Irish media at the time downplayed it (I stand to be corrected by anybody who knows more about this), given in the mid eighties, there was not much to be positive about in general, and we had very few successful individual sportsmen at the time, unless you count Eddie Macken the showjumper. I think it would have been a brave mainstream journo back then to come out with his or her suspicions. 

Kimmage's Rough Ride came out in 1990, and he spent the guts of the following years being derided by all and sundry as a bitter, failed sportsman, while a decade later, the book became (and still is) a seminal account of life at the wrong end of the peleton. 

When you look at it, that book was the first time anybody had made a connection to an Irish sportsperson and drugs, (and nowhere in it does Kimmage say Roche took drugs) it probably took the Atlanta olympics in 1996 to bring it home that the Irish were no different to any others when it came to the drugs issue, and even at that, only one journo (Tom Humphries, whatever happened him ?.....) made the allegations, and he too was very much on his own for a long time. FFS there are still people out there who think Ms De Bruin was as clean as the driven snow (Hello Jimmy Magee). In short, back then, our media did not (as Kimmage memorably said of pro cyclists of his era in his book) ' piss in the soup' . 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:19pm
any bookie offering odds on wiggans not to win ?

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:07pm
These punctures have ruined today's race. Poor form from Rolland attacking

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

In fairness, he laid off once he got the message in the ear. And apparently it was all sabotage, tacks being thrown across the road by some utter lunatic. Caused Kiserlovski to crash out which is disgraceful, frankly. Peloton rolling to the finish now as a result, having waited for all dropped by punctures to rejoin. That idiot should be found and made to sleep on a bed of nails.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

In fairness, he laid off once he got the message in the ear. And apparently it was all sabotage, tacks being thrown across the road by some utter lunatic. Caused Kiserlovski to crash out which is disgraceful, frankly. Peloton rolling to the finish now as a result, having waited for all dropped by punctures to rejoin. That idiot should be found and made to sleep on a bed of nails.

Undoubtedly team orders. And he had gained nearly 2 minutes before he sat up. Sour intentions IMO.

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:46pm
Winner was ex-Real Madrid player Pedro Leon's brother.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 6:20pm
All respect lost fot Wiggins, on SSN saying the police should find those resonsible and sent them to a football match Clown

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

All respect lost fot Wiggins, on SSN saying the police should find those resonsible and sent them to a football match Clown

you sure he said that? he did say that if similar to what  happened on the tour at the weekend in a football match they would have been arrested

riders have no protection from the crowds on them big mountain stages and that it what he was getting at, at least from the quotes i read

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
frank schleck has tested positive for a banned substance Cry

if he was doping it didnt do him much good as he got dropped plenty of times on the climbs!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 7:55pm
Frank Schleck after testing positive for banned subsatance according to SSN Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:07pm
Shocked ffs brings more shame on the event although innocent until proven guilty, has 4 days to have B sample analyzed
had him backed at evs to finish in the top 10 Embarrassed

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:17pm
Really disapointing about Frank Schelck! I thought the use of drugs was on the decline but its obviously not the case!

-------------
Howya now

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 8:25pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

you sure he said that? he did say that if similar to what  happened on the tour at the weekend in a football match they would have been arrested

riders have no protection from the crowds on them big mountain stages and that it what he was getting at, at least from the quotes i read

Tis exactly what he said on SSN, judging by those later comments though that he said elsewhere he mightve just said it wrong, will take it back!

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:14pm
Nicolas Roche up to 11th, 4 seconds off 10th. Lets hope he can pull a few seconds out of Pinot tomorrow. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Nicolas Roche up to 11th, 4 seconds off 10th. Lets hope he can pull a few seconds out of Pinot tomorrow. Thumbs Up

Good ride by Roche, was dropped by the Van Den Broeck group on the final climb and made it back to them on the descent. He'll make time on Rolland and Pinot in the TT but he'll lose time to Kloden. Touch and go whether he'll make top 10.

Wiggins tied it up today, as I'd say most expected.

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:06pm
Good ride by both Irish lads today. Hopefully Roche can sneak into the top 10 in the next few days. Wiggins has it won unless something very dramatic happens. 

-------------
Howya now

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:52pm
Wiggins had it won the day he put the yellow on , team is far to strong,  and Nibalis far to week , Nico did well today hopefully he can kick on 2moro for the top 10. Great credit to Dan Martin very impressive

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:36pm
pity Andy or Contador were not in it, Wiggans would not be in yellow tonight if they were

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:25pm
Statement from F. Schleck:
Quote The statement, translated and posted by cyclingnews.com, read: ''A doctor from the UCI has tonight informed me that a prohibited substance has been detected in my urine during a routine doping control performed on July 14, 2012. I categorically deny taking any banned substance. I have no explanation for the test result and therefore insist that the B sample be tested, which is my right. If this analysis confirms the initial result, I will argue that I have been the victim of poisoning.''

I f**king hate this rubbish from every cyclist/athlete/skier etc. that test positive for a banned substance. Contaminated/poisoned/the result of using toothpaste/inhaler Ermm. It's fuking pathetic that they can't stand up and admit it.

With Contador's failed test he was clearly trying to save face (and it worked a treat seeing he has a contract with Saxo Bank when his ban is up next month) because he knew he had years left in him.

Schleck's career is surely finished now, he'll be 34 when he's free to compete again (in all likelihood). He has no excuses to stand up in front of the world's media and claim this sh!te. I suppose he's never been embroiled in doping claims in the past, oh wait...

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:22pm

Wiggins pretty much wins Clap I think Froome could have gotten around 20-30 seconds off him, but they destroyed the rest of the field. Can see Froome moving elsewhere next season. Another great ride by Dan Martin

pity Andy or Contador were not in it, Wiggans would not be in yellow tonight if they were

Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 5:10pm
Nic Roche now 1'12" off 10th. A pity, really, and it looks like he's going to finish in 11th, barring someone crashing / failing in the tt. And even then, Kloden could take the requisite time from him in the tt.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm
I think Roche will take Pinot's position in the TT but Kloden will pass the 2 of them. Only chance of a top 10 is if Rolland has a mare and Roche rides the best TT of his life. Hopefully I'm wrong

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:20pm

brilliantLOL

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 3:11pm
roche in the break away with 4k to go, only after getting home to see it so dont know how longs hes been away

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 3:24pm
jaysus cav had a rocket up his ass for that finish, serious turn of speed

roche finished 5th in the end

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net